Registered User fromgeektofreak's Avatar
    fromgeektofreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

"From Geek to Freak" Experiment

So I've decided to do a little experiment on myself for 28 days, starting Monday. The goal is to see just how much muscle mass and weight I can gain in just a month. Being impulsive and easily motivated, I read some chapters out of a book by the title of "The 4-Hour Body" by Timothy Ferriss. In this colossal text, the author shows his expertise in biology, nutrition, exercise science, and rigorous experimentation. Essentially, the book attempts to sway the mass's beliefs on exercise and dieting. If I had to choose a subtitle to accurately describe the book, I'd go with the aphorism, "less is more."

In one particular chapter, titled "From Geek to Freak," Ferriss claims he gained 34 lbs. of pure muscle in just 28 days. According to his measurements, he literally LOST fat and gained nothing but muscle. There's all sorts of controversy surrounding this experiment. For instance, the likelihood of gaining 34 lbs. of muscle in just 28 days is nearly impossible, if not impossible. Also, the before and after photos are just outrageously humorous. I'll post a link to a few articles that examine the experiment.

Anyways, besides knowing for a fact I will not gain 34 lbs. of muscle (probably more around 10 lbs.) I want to emulate Ferriss and see how my body reacts. The supplementation guide he gives is supposedly crucial to the experiment, but I don't necessarily agree. However, I will take all the supplements he used EXCEPT I will not be taking two scoops of N.O. Xplode in the morning. However, I will take one (225 mg seems like enough caffeine to me). I will also abide by his strict eating regimen, which literally consists of nothing but lean protein, slow carbs and a minimal selection of starches for caloric load. I will follow the exact workout guidelines including the precise exercises he did too.

Before I begin this experiment though, I do want to hear some opinions about this. Is it truly possible to gain this much muscle in such a short span of time? Will I benefit from this experiment at all? The main reason I want to do this is because I've reached a new low in bodyweight recently. One morning, at 5'9, I weighed in at a measly 128 lbs. Now that I've gotten up to 135 (primarily because I've been eating a lot of terrible **** the past few days), I want to see how much mass I can gain in just a month.

I do have one question though. After calculating the amount of protein I'll be consuming, I find I can easily reach 1.25g of protein per pound of bodyweight without even getting 3,000 calories which is what I want to consume at the very least. Are there any issues with consuming almost 2.0g of protein per pound of bodyweight or should I be okay?
    Last edited by fromgeektofreak; 06-07-2014 at 02:48 PM.

I cannot post links because I haven't posted 50 times but if you just Google search the experiment, you'll find one particular critique, that is, regaining muscle is a lot easier than building it initially. Ferriss had already built lean muscle mass before and hyrdration was also key to his gains.

basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by fromgeektofreak View Post

In one particular chapter, titled "From Geek to Freak," Ferriss claims he gained 34 lbs. of pure muscle in just 28 days. According to his measurements, he literally LOST fat and gained nothing but muscle.
    i singlehandedly raised the titanic from the sea, cuz i wanted to make love to the staircase from the movie.
    truestory no lies

alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I've decided to do a little experiment on myself for 28 days, starting Monday. The goal is to see just how much muscle mass and weight I can gain in just a month. Being impulsive and easily motivated, I read some chapters out of a book by the title of "The 4-Hour Body" by Timothy Ferriss. In this colossal text, the author shows his expertise in biology, nutrition, exercise science, and rigorous experimentation. Essentially, the book attempts to sway the mass's beliefs on exercise and dieting. If I had to choose a subtitle to accurately describe the book, I'd go with the aphorism, "less is more."

In one particular chapter, titled "From Geek to Freak," Ferriss claims he gained 34 lbs. of pure muscle in just 28 days. According to his measurements, he literally LOST fat and gained nothing but muscle. There's all sorts of controversy surrounding this experiment. For instance, the likelihood of gaining 34 lbs. of muscle in just 28 days is nearly impossible, if not impossible. Also, the before and after photos are just outrageously humorous. I'll post a link to a few articles that examine the experiment.

Anyways, besides knowing for a fact I will not gain 34 lbs. of muscle (probably more around 10 lbs.) I want to emulate Ferriss and see how my body reacts. The supplementation guide he gives is supposedly crucial to the experiment, but I don't necessarily agree. However, I will take all the supplements he used EXCEPT I will not be taking two scoops of N.O. Xplode in the morning. However, I will take one (225 mg seems like enough caffeine to me). I will also abide by his strict eating regimen, which literally consists of nothing but lean protein, slow carbs and a minimal selection of starches for caloric load. I will follow the exact workout guidelines including the precise exercises he did too.

Before I begin this experiment though, I do want to hear some opinions about this. Is it truly possible to gain this much muscle in such a short span of time? Will I benefit from this experiment at all? The main reason I want to do this is because I've reached a new low in bodyweight recently. One morning, at 5'9, I weighed in at a measly 128 lbs. Now that I've gotten up to 135 (primarily because I've been eating a lot of terrible **** the past few days), I want to see how much mass I can gain in just a month.

I do have one question though. After calculating the amount of protein I'll be consuming, I find I can easily reach 1.25g of protein per pound of bodyweight without even getting 3,000 calories which is what I want to consume at the very least. Is there any issues with consuming almost 2.0g of protein per pound of bodyweight or should I be okay?
    OP, ignore everyone. But seriously,

Hop on a good program and eat. You can't achieve a "freak" physique in a month, not even on gear.

Patience is key.

Myosinisthick,actinisthin Niklebust's Avatar
    Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10) Niklebust is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This seems a little unrealistic to me. Good luck.
    I'm mad, but I ain't stressin

trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trs5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Even on dat dere, this will probably not happen. Lifting is a long road, 28 days will not get you to the end of it.
    I used to lift
    Now I get triggered by people's poor form while they lift heavier weights than I can
    feelsbadman

*always pick 1 crew*
    *sometimes pick another number once I enter the thread crew*

It'll probably be a waste of time but I'd like to try just for ****s and giggles. I want to put on mass anyway, so I feel like it wouldn't be a total waste. However, can someone please answer my question concerning protein intake?

alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexwhiteboy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It'll probably be a waste of time but I'd like to try just for ****s and giggles. I want to put on mass anyway, so I feel like it wouldn't be a total waste. However, can someone please answer my question concerning protein intake?
    No need to eat excess protein. 1g/lb is fine.

Originally Posted by trs5 View Post
    Even on dat dere, this will probably not happen. Lifting is a long road, 28 days will not get you to the end of it.
    Off topic but traps of peace, brother.