SCopeland24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sharp pain after finishing DL

As the title says when I finish my deadlifts I get a sharp pain in my lower back in the area right above my butt. It feels like it's in the muscles and not the spine/nerves. It also tends to go away after a few minutes but when it hits it can be very painful. Is this normal or due to bad form? I feel like my form is good and I keep my back straight and drive with the hips.

PeterLopes1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SCopeland24 View Post
    As the title says when I finish my deadlifts I get a sharp pain in my lower back in the area right above my butt. It feels like it's in the muscles and not the spine/nerves. It also tends to go away after a few minutes but when it hits it can be very painful. Is this normal or due to bad form? I feel like my form is good and I keep my back straight and drive with the hips.
    Sounds like overloading and bad form during dead lift do you pause between reps do you go all the wayd down? whats your rep range?

I would suggest to low a bit on the weight increase rep range focus on your form if you still feel pain stack some plates on the floor to increase the height of the bar
    Last edited by PeterLopes1998; 02-27-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: better

Originally Posted by PeterLopes1998 View Post
    Sounds like overloading and bad form during dead lift do you pause between reps do you go all the wayd down? whats your rep range?

I would suggest to low a bit on the weight increase rep range focus on your form if you still feel pain stack some plates on the floor to increase the height of the bar
    I do pause between reps. I also hold my breath through a rep which seems to stabilize my core. I have some pads but I mostly go all the way down and my dl style is straight leg with either normal grip or reverse grip. Rep range is 6-8 reps per set with usually 3 sets. On the height issue where should I start; how height up from the ground should the bar rest?

Originally Posted by SCopeland24 View Post
    I do pause between reps. I also hold my breath through a rep which seems to stabilize my core. I have some pads but I mostly go all the way down and my dl style is straight leg with either normal grip or reverse grip. Rep range is 6-8 reps per set with usually 3 sets. On the height issue where should I start; how height up from the ground should the bar rest?
    Do not hold your breath especially on heavy exercises like dead lift , inspire on extending and exhaling on muscle contraction so (exhale going up and inspire going down) focus on your breath slow movement , also the height try 1 plate each side if you have long legs increase a bit the distance between them. . Do you have an adjustable rack in your gym?
    Last edited by PeterLopes1998; 02-27-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: better edit

alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alobri3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PeterLopes1998 View Post
    Do not hold your breath especially on heavy exercises like dead lift , inspire on extending and exhaling on muscle contraction so (exhale going up and inspire going down) focus on your breath slow movement , also the height try 1 plate each side if you have long legs increase a bit the distance between them
    No, no, no. DO hold your breath. Breath on the bottom and top, never during the deadlift rep. Sorry, but advise above is incorrect and will have you pulling your core, abs, obliques or even worse. Breathe in, lock your core, create internal pressure. The whole core has to be tight through the lift. If you cant maintain that - drop the bar, lower the weight.

OP, video would be very helpful here, follow my advise here, it may help you identify what you doing wrong:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1426202301

He says he does 8 reps and not 3 i also told him to low the weight increas reps slow controled movement . Do Not breathe at the top under heavy load like max 3reps.

That dizzyness you feel is normal for a max lift. It means you were using the valsalva to protect yourself. You are training the blood vessles in your brain to take the physical pressure of lifting and holding large weights.

Also, if you let that air out, your spine will buckle in the lumbar region and you are asking for an injury on the eccentric portion of the lift and possible drop the weight. That static spine is your protection and the spine an only remain static if you have generated enough pressure around it. The fact that you had to hold your breath to lift it means you need to hold your breath to lower it. You start screwing around with your pnumatic brace and you will get hurt.

Basically, hold your breath and push against it throughout.

Thanks for the link. I will be conscience of engaging my hamstring and glutes more when I do dls next time. Also I think I will incorporate rdl to make sure my hammys are strong enough.