urbanfox74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

One rep max frequency and Tendonitis Q

Sorry of this is the wrong section, I was not sure where to post these questions.

First off, I have heard that it is not good to do your one rep max for bench press more than once in a month, is this true?

The reason I ask is because about a week and a half ago I did 315 after several sets on a Friday, but couldn't go up anymore because I was tired. Come monday, I did 325, 335, 340, and failed @ 345, each with 5 min of rest inbetween becuse I didn't think I could do more than 325. I am pretty confident I can do 345, and maybe even 350 if I attempt it fresh, but I wanted to ask here first how long should I be waiting inbetween max rep days?

Second, I have tendonitis in the wrist/forearm area that greatly subtracts from doing any type of bicep work and prevents me from doing forearm exercises that I despartely need for increased grip. My doctor told me to take motrin and ice it and lay off it for a while and if when i come back it's still there to not do anything that causes it pain at all. Well, I told him "ok" all the while thinking are you nuts?! Never again?! I'm not a pansy or anything and I can work through pain, but this seriously kills my bicep work and prevents me from deadlifting more and helping my bench.

Is there ANYTHING anyone can recommend to fight through it or ease the pain more?

Thanks for any and all help, MUCH appreciated.

Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000) Superman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Maxing out is pointless if you are a bodybuilder. I haven't maxed out in 5 years. Honestly, who cares cares how much you bench. It's about how much you look like you can bench.

Originally Posted by Superman
    Maxing out is pointless if you are a bodybuilder. I haven't maxed out in 5 years. Honestly, who cares cares how much you bench. It's about how much you look like you can bench.
    Oh no, I'm not a body builder, I only lift for strength and of course any physical definition that comes with it. I just thought I could still learn stuff off this forum, sorry for the confusion.

EDIT

WOW, I totally missed this section:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Sorry guys -.-
    Last edited by urbanfox74; 06-25-2006 at 09:03 PM.

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    1) Dont worry about maxing out, its mostly pointless.

2) If you have tendonitis, you need to be resting and staying out of the gym. The only true cure for tendonitis is rest.
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

Registered User LatissimusDorsi's Avatar
    LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Wouldn't maxing out be a good kickstarter to the overload principle?

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by urbanfox74
    First off, I have heard that it is not good to do your one rep max for bench press more than once in a month, is this true?
    If that's true, I'm in trouble.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Soap box squatting. Andrew.Cook's Avatar
    Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Superman
    We should all be just like you... *sigh*

Regardless of how much you can bench, you should be strong, and you should be doing what you can to get stronger. At least then, when you are big AND strong you can forcefully remove the 150lb bodybuilders from your gym when they tell you that you should not be attempting 1RM's.

I'd rather look like I bench a buick, and bench a Mac truck than look like I bench a buick and bench 135. But, you are right... do things your way.

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sorry of this is the wrong section, I was not sure where to post these questions.

The reason I ask is because about a week and a half ago I did 315 after several sets on a Friday, but couldn't go up anymore because I was tired. Come monday, I did 325, 335, 340, and failed @ 345, each with 5 min of rest inbetween becuse I didn't think I could do more than 325. I am pretty confident I can do 345, and maybe even 350 if I attempt it fresh, but I wanted to ask here first how long should I be waiting inbetween max rep days?

Second, I have tendonitis in the wrist/forearm area that greatly subtracts from doing any type of bicep work and prevents me from doing forearm exercises that I despartely need for increased grip. My doctor told me to take motrin and ice it and lay off it for a while and if when i come back it's still there to not do anything that causes it pain at all. Well, I told him "ok" all the while thinking are you nuts?! Never again?! I'm not a pansy or anything and I can work through pain, but this seriously kills my bicep work and prevents me from deadlifting more and helping my bench.

Is there ANYTHING anyone can recommend to fight through it or ease the pain more?

Thanks for any and all help, MUCH appreciated.
    stop doing bicep and forearm exercises while you have pain. Tears of the long head of the biceps are very very very common. You don't want to do this or you won't have a choice about taking time off.

Lots of powerlifters do good mornings. In fact my buddy (who just won nationals in the collegiate 220 pound class) rarely deadlifts. I mean like once a month he deads heavy. Other than that he does good mornings out the ass. If I were you that is what I would do at least until your arm feels better.

If your squatting ass to the grass low and doing good mornings I promise you your deadlift will increase.

Originally Posted by Flex500

Lots of powerlifters do good mornings. In fact my buddy (who just won nationals in the collegiate 220 pound class) rarely deadlifts. I mean like once a month he deads heavy. Other than that he does good mornings out the ass. If I were you that is what I would do at least until your arm feels better.

If your squatting ass to the grass low and doing good mornings I promise you your deadlift will increase.
    My deadlift is hampered by my lack of grip, not leg/back strength; I should have been more specific.

Sounds like rest is a must -.-

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My deadlift is hampered by my lack of grip, not leg/back strength; I should have been more specific.

Sounds like rest is a must -.-
    ah gotcha, well you may just have to let it rest for a little bit. So it is actually your forearm that hurts up near your biceps or lower by your wrist?

Originally Posted by Flex500
    ah gotcha, well you may just have to let it rest for a little bit. So it is actually your forearm that hurts up near your biceps or lower by your wrist?
    I'd say it's pretty evenly distributed throughout the forearm, maybe slightly the lower half. It especially guts me when I lay the weight down on preacher curls. I don't feel any pain in my biceps, it's just the only time I feel the tendonitis (curls).