Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up The Vertical Leg Press: A Forgotten Old School Favorite

I've wondered for years why these gems left most commercial gyms. I know Lee Haney much preferred them to conventional barbell squats. I've done leg presses before when I played high school football but it was always those crappy angled ones at 45 degrees. But I know many of my dads old school friends swear by the vertical ones from back in the day. So I decided to purchase one a month ago and give it a fair go.

And I must I have been much impressed by them. They mimic squats much more precisely than the ****ty angled versions at most gyms. And as for me personally I have always had a problem feeling my quads being worked during squats. Even with front squats. Not so with my vertical squat rack. My legs are trembling and pumped once I'm done with my leg workouts nowadays. I know there are concerns about undue pressure to the lower back while doing these but I believe good form will take care of this. You have to keep you back flat against the pad and not round your lower back which some people do when hey are attempting to push heavier weight than they are capable of.

All in all this thing is the cornerstone of my leg workouts nowadays and has been a solid investment. I now believe the reason that most commercial gyms do not have vertical leg presses anymore is because they make you WORK. None of that noobs loading up the leg press with 800lbs **** like you see with angled and/or horizontal leg presses. 200lbs is 200lbs on the vertical version and many people's ego's would be substantially hurt by that fact.

But anyways just wanted to hear from the rest of my more seasoned lifters on this subject.

NOTE: "I don't want to hear from new lifters claiming that the squat is best bull****". We've heard that false absolute more than enough over the years here. I'm interested in others opinions who have actually TRIED vertical squats and at least gave them a fair shot.

Let's begin gentleman....
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 01-24-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: messed up

CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    DD -

Do you have a pic of the machine? All I've seen is the 45 degree ones where you load the plates.

Thanks!

-C10
    PR's ... Goals @ 160 lbs. Bodyweight:

Bench Press - 250 ... 315
    Squat - 275 ... 400
    Trap Dead - 400 ... 480
    Bent Over Row - 195 ... 315
    Military Press - 150 ... 160
    Pull-Up - BW+150 ... BW + 180
    Dip - BW + 170 ... BW + 200

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by CoQ10 View Post
    DD -

Do you have a pic of the machine? All I've seen is the 45 degree ones where you load the plates.

Thanks!

-C10
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92066.html

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Exclamation

squats/front squats + any other variation of a squat is better. including curls.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    squats/front squats + any other variation of a squat is better. including curls.
    + overhead squats bad for spine/lower back, places lifter in a very compromising position according to top nationally accredited 120lb scientists who are experts on bodybuilding.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 01-24-2008 at 03:58 PM.

sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10) sushiracer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you know whats ironic is just last saturday me and a couple guys i usually do leg day with went over to the smith machine to mimic exactly what you're talking about. just had to have one person make sure the bar didnt rotate to catch the rungs but we used a bench and pushed with the bar near the curve in your foot...i would recommend not doing this with flat shoes though....just a thought.

Originally Posted by sushiracer View Post
    you know whats ironic is just last saturday me and a couple guys i usually do leg day with went over to the smith machine to mimic exactly what you're talking about. just had to have one person make sure the bar didnt rotate to catch the rungs but we used a bench and pushed with the bar near the curve in your foot...i would recommend not doing this with flat shoes though....just a thought.
    Yeah that is what I was doing last month. I was doing these as well on my smith machine that is how I got my hunch to go ahead and purchase one based off what I felt doing the smith machine version.I was doing them barefoot as well.

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My quads are worked maximally not in the gym doing front squats or whatever, but when walking down a steep slope, especially when carrying a heavy backpack. When going downhill, the quads act as a brake, slowing your descent. And going up hill works the hams.

mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Lightbulb

squats are the best

Question

Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    My quads are worked maximally not in the gym doing front squats or whatever, but when walking down a steep slope, especially when carrying a heavy backpack. When going downhill, the quads act as a brake, slowing your descent. And going up hill works the hams.
    (scratches head)Okay???
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 01-24-2008 at 04:40 PM.

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    (scratches head)Okay???
    Ever went down a steep hill, trying to keep your speed under control? The quads are the main brake, they're doing "negatives". Basically the quads are working to prevent the knees from flexing too quickly. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by UtahRocks; 01-24-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Originally Posted by mAssholio View Post
    squats are the best
    Don't make me devour half of your delicious beety little head again.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1198316034

Ever went down a steep hill, trying to keep your speed under control? The quads are the main brake, they're doing "negatives". Hope that makes sense
    I understand what you are saying big man. We did those in football along with running with parachutes, pulling sleds, etc. I just don't understand what that had to do with the topic of this thread.

I understand what you are saying big man. We did those in football along with running with parachutes, pulling sleds, etc. I just don't understand what that had to do with the topic of this thread.
    OK I see. Well I was trying to address your main complaint about quads not being worked hard enough

OK I see. Well I was trying to address your main complaint about quads not being worked hard enough
    Fair enough.

KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had a vertical leg press and i finally sold it

there was too much pressure on my lower back (i kept my back flat and did not round my lower back)

but maybe it's okay for some people

Originally Posted by KSA View Post
    I had a vertical leg press and i finally sold it

there was too much pressure on my lower back (i kept my back flat and did not round my lower back)

but maybe it's okay for some people
    Yeah I saw some of your old posts from back in the day on this in the workout equipment section. I love mine but I know everyone will respond differently based on their individual structure. Thanks for your input.

mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't make me devour half of your delicious beety little head again.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1198316034
    Had to eat the brown one huh? Thats racist !!

Originally Posted by mAssholio View Post
    Had to eat the brown one huh? Thats racist !!
    Well if I eat any of the other lighter colors it will be on all up on the news and the cops will be looking for me. No one cares if one of the dark brown ones go missing though.

Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've wondered for years why these gems left most commercial gyms. I know Lee Haney much preferred them to conventional barbell squats. I've done leg presses before when I played high school football but it was always those crappy angled ones at 45 degrees. But I know many of my dads old school friends swear by the vertical ones from back in the day. So I decided to purchase one a month ago and give it a fair go.

And I must I have been much impressed by them. They mimic squats much more precisely than the ****ty angled versions at most gyms. And as for me personally I have always had a problem feeling my quads being worked during squats. Even with front squats. Not so with my vertical squat rack. My legs are trembling and pumped once I'm done with my leg workouts nowadays. I know there are concerns about undue pressure to the lower back while doing these but I believe good form will take care of this. You have to keep you back flat against the pad and not round your lower back which some people do when hey are attempting to push heavier weight than they are capable of.

All in all this thing is the cornerstone of my leg workouts nowadays and has been a solid investment. I now believe the reason that most commercial gyms do not have vertical leg presses anymore is because they make you WORK. None of that noobs loading up the leg press with 800lbs **** like you see with angled and/or horizontal leg presses. 200lbs is 200lbs on the vertical version and many people's ego's would be substantially hurt by that fact.

But anyways just wanted to hear from the rest of my more seasoned lifters on this subject.

NOTE: "I don't want to hear from new lifters claiming that the squat is best bull****". We've heard that false absolute more than enough over the years here. I'm interested in others opinions who have actually TRIED vertical squats and at least gave them a fair shot.

Let's begin gentleman....
    I've wanted a vertical myself for some time now. Any complaints on the one you bought?

Originally Posted by Earthtime View Post
    I've wanted a vertical myself for some time now. Any complaints on the one you bought?
    None at all bro. I LOVE it.I use a wide stance for my inner quads and a close stance for my outer quads/overall quad sweep. I also do them one leg at a time to really focus on working the target muscle. I could never do one legged squats. I really feel my quads working when doing these. I never really felt anything while doing back squats. Front squats were a little better but very uncomfortable and I am not sure there worth the pain in the ass. It's also great for overhead calf raises as well. I would have to say all in all this is one of the best machines I have ever used.

spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've never used a vertical leg press. My school's gym does have this though: seems to move nicely in an arc and it really blasts my quads.

I basically use that as a cornerstone to my leg workouts (I still do BB back squats and other exercises). DD have you used one of these? It doesn't move on a set plane, AFAIK/can feel but seems to move in an arc. Like I said I feel it really well in my quads, and hamstrings when bringing my heels to my ass.

Originally Posted by spot_skater View Post
    I've never used a vertical leg press. My school's gym does have this though: seems to move nicely in an arc and it really blasts my quads.

I basically use that as a cornerstone to my leg workouts (I still do BB back squats and other exercises). DD have you used one of these? It doesn't move on a set plane, AFAIK/can feel but seems to move in an arc. Like I said I feel it really well in my quads, and hamstrings when bringing my heels to my ass.
    If you say it moves in an arc then I am not sure I have used this type/mode before . The main ones I used back in the day were the regular ones angled at 45 degrees which are great for allowing one to use heavier weights but crappy in my opinion at building actual mass on the quads.

berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    We had one in our high school gym and it was awesome. I haven't seen one since. My university just built a $26,000,000 gym on campus and we still don't have one of those. I'm like you, I still do squats, but only because it's those or leg press and I hate that thing. I'd kill to have one of those machines though.

cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Damn right, DD, my gym has one of the 90 degree leg press machines. It's a great piece of equipment, and hardly any one in my gym uses it! Huzzah.

Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

None at all bro. I LOVE it.I use a wide stance for my inner quads and a close stance for my outer quads/overall quad sweep. I also do them one leg at a time to really focus on working the target muscle. I could never do one legged squats. I really feel my quads working when doing these. I never really felt anything while doing back squats. Front squats were a little better but very uncomfortable and I am not sure there worth the pain in the ass. It's also great for overhead calf raises as well. I would have to say all in all this is one of the best machines I have ever used.
    I hadn't thought of one-leggers. Awesome option.

You ought to go into sales Diamond! haha

Are the rollers mechanically smooth? Probably are?

Height placement pins easy to use?

Weight posts allow what size plates side-by-side?

CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks!

I've actually never seen one of those before. Once I saw a guy using a Smith machine for a vertical leg press, though. Is this essentially how the machine operates?

-C10
    PR's ... Goals @ 160 lbs. Bodyweight:

Bench Press - 250 ... 315
    Squat - 275 ... 400
    Trap Dead - 400 ... 480
    Bent Over Row - 195 ... 315
    Military Press - 150 ... 160
    Pull-Up - BW+150 ... BW + 180
    Dip - BW + 170 ... BW + 200

HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is nonsense. If you don't squat, you're depriving yourself of a huge testosteronie release and you're also not working your stabilizers. Also you're contributing to economic recession and urban violence in Iraq.

Originally Posted by Earthtime View Post
    I hadn't thought of one-leggers. Awesome option.

You ought to go into sales Diamond! haha

Are the rollers mechanically smooth? Probably are?

Height placement pins easy to use?

Weight posts allow what size plates side-by-side?
    The rollers are VERY smooth. Though they did need to be sprayed with some silicon lubricant when I first put it together. Been smooth as butter ever since. The height placement/safety pins are very easy to use just pull the handles to the side when you are ready to unrack and lift the weight then turn the handles back inward to rerack the weight once your done with your set. Weight posts allow anything fromt the 45's on down.

Originally Posted by CoQ10 View Post
    Thanks!

I've actually never seen one of those before. Once I saw a guy using a Smith machine for a vertical leg press, though. Is this essentially how the machine operates?

-C10
    Yes the basic movement is about the same on a smith machine. Just less safe.