stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Please critique my push pull program

Hi,

Please can you critique the following program for a lean bulk? Am I training enough and with correct exercises and exercise combination?

My profile:

Weight: 127lbs
    Height: 5'11
    Goal: LEAN BULK

Background:

I have trained on and off over the last couple of years but due to severe IBS I was not able to eat well so couldn't follow through and recently lost a lot of weight.

I'm well now and my diet is okay too so I can start the gym properly.

I have been training for 3 weeks losely following a combination of push pull and starting strength just to get into it but I want to start a proper program now.

I enjoy push pull legs but can only train 3 times a week (ideally but can do more if I have to), so I've incorporated legs into each workout and basically train one day on and one day off.

Program:

Week 1 Day 1 - Pull 1
    Week 1 Day 2 - REST
    Week 1 Day 3 - Push 1
    Week 1 Day 4 - REST
    Week 1 Day 5 - Pull 2
    Week 1 Day 6 - REST
    Week 1 Day 7 - Push 2
    Week 2 Day 1 - REST
    Week 2 Day 2 - Pull 1
    and so on..

Rep range 6-8 to failure each work set.

PUSH 1:
    Barbell squats
    Leg extension
    Bench press
    Incline dumbell press
    Machine shoulder press
    Cable tricep pushdown

PUSH 2:
    Leg press machine
    Dumbell split squats
    Standing overhead press
    Push-ups
    Incline Dumbell bench press
    Bodyweight bench dips

PULL 1:
    Deadlifts
    Pull ups
    Sitting cable row OR Dumbell row
    Dumbell curls
    Abs - crunches
    Abs - planks

PULL 2:
    Deadlifts
    Chin ups
    Lat pull downs
    Barbell curls
    Abs - captain's chair leg raises
    Abs - planks

Rep range 6-8 to failure each work set.

Thanks for your time and help.
    Last edited by stargate6t2; 05-22-2023 at 01:35 PM.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Too much REST. Do push pull rest push pull rest
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Opossum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpockets: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Mark1T: Black Labrador retriever
    Paulinanas: Coyote
    Sails: Wlf

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Given your height/weight & past "on and off" training, I think your gains are going to be super slow on the program as you wrote it (exercise choices, duplication, universal rep range, every set to failure, schedule, etc.). I suggest doing a proper novice program, but do what you enjoy and what will motivate you to work out consistently.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    At 127 lbs and 5'-11" bulk for sure. No need to be lean about it. I would do a novice program like Fierce 5.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Agreed with everyone above.

Bulk.

Follow this program as written, don't make changes.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631

Follow this nutrition advice.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...3439001&page=1
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stargate6t2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks everyone.

I've looked at Fierce 5, and it looks like a great program. I think I will enjoy it, so glad I posted this question.

I'm confused about a couple things, can someone please advise:

1) Which sets, if any, should I do to failure for each exercise?

2) Is incrementing the weight on exercises directly dependant on my body weight increasing (my goal is to bulk)? What if I don't put on any body weight in a particular week due to falling behind on my diet (or being ill, etc)?

3) Is it possible to substitute calf raises with a different exercise? In the past I've ended up having a calf strain every time I've done this exercise probably because I have tight calf muscles.

Many thanks

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    See below.

Originally Posted by stargate6t2 View Post
    1) Which sets, if any, should I do to failure for each exercise?
    No set rule, but generally when your goal is straight sets across, if you're going to go to failure you'd save it for the last set of the exercise.

2) Is incrementing the weight on exercises directly dependant on my body weight increasing (my goal is to bulk)? What if I don't put on any body weight in a particular week due to falling behind on my diet (or being ill, etc)?
    No, incrementing the weight is based more on you being a new lifter & that you likely can increase weight consistently at this stage - although it helps that you are bulking. That being said, don't worry if you don't go up in a linear manner on all your lifts - the world won't end.

3) Is it possible to substitute calf raises with a different exercise? In the past I've ended up having a calf strain every time I've done this exercise probably because I have tight calf muscles.
    Tight calf muscles isn't a reason to avoid calf raises. You can start out with no weight and increase slowly. However, if you didn't do calf raises at all, nothing catastrophic will happen to you.

Thanks for the responses.

If I don't do calf raises, what can I pick an as alternative as I am meant to do them as a superset along with tricep press downs?

In workout B, front squats and romain deadlifts can be substituted with conventional deadlifts and leg curls which I'd very much like to do. Which order should I do these in i.e. is the following order correct and are the reps and set corrects for both deadlift and leg curls?

Workout B
    Deadlifts 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Leg curls 3x8
    Lat Pulldowns 3x8 (any grip)
    Ab work 2x15/Bicep curls 2x10 Superset (I don’t care what ab work you do)

Sorry for the trivial questions, just want to get this right from the outset.

See below.

If I don't do calf raises, what can I pick an as alternative as I am meant to do them as a superset along with tricep press downs?
    You're not doing your tight calves any favors by skipping the calf raises, and the program's answer is that there isn't an acceptable substitute. That being said, if you're not going to do calf raises, do any isolation you want there that isn't a triceps exercise. Your substitute may not be ideal with the way the program is laid out, but it is what it is.

In workout B, front squats and romain deadlifts can be substituted with conventional deadlifts and leg curls which I'd very much like to do. Which order should I do these in i.e. is the following order correct and are the reps and set corrects for both deadlift and leg curls?
    YES.

Workout B
    Deadlifts 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Leg curls 3x8

Thanks air2fakie. I will be starting with the calf exercises - thanks for your input.

Really looking forward to getting started with this program.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Workout B
    Deadlifts 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Leg curls 3x8

I’d just stick to the front squats and RDL combo. They are going to be a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger bang for your buck than deadlifts off the floor.

I’d honestly just throw leg curls in on workout A too just because.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Too much REST. Do push pull rest push pull rest
    This
    Burn rubber, not your soul

Just checking leg curls on YouTube, there seem to be 2 versions. One where you lie down on your stomach to do the curl behind you and one where you sit up and curl up in front of you (which I always thought was called leg extension). Which version do I need to do here?

Just checking leg curls on YouTube, there seem to be 2 versions. One where you lie down on your stomach to do the curl behind you and one where you sit up and curl up in front of you (which I always thought was called leg extension). Which version do I need to do here?
    Either. In the seated one, you're curling down not up.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Either. In the seated one, you're curling down not up.
    Ah okay got you. Thanks

...Or was, 10 years ago. CollegeBoy12's Avatar
    CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CollegeBoy12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A 4 day push/pull can work great, but i've also had success with a 3 day ABA BAB rotation. The key to making it work is training with a high level of intensity.

It's also easier on the joints, since there is more overlap in push/pull splits than upper lower. The shoulders, knees and hams are used more. At 41 it might be a consideration. You're still hitting an every 5th day frequency with a 3 day setup, which is a great frequency for building muscle