PumpBruh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Having trouble working/activating my biceps

When I am working out my biceps, primarily during dumbbell bicep curls, I can't seem to get a good burn. I am something of a gym noob and started out as a skinny guy. I have researched a lot about bicep activation (I have tried slowing down on the reps, performing different variations, etc.) I have been stuck at 15lb dumbbells for a while now, and when I am curling I do tend to move my elbows forward and up just a bit, but other than that I use pretty good form. I really want to grow my biceps, but this is a barrier for me. Any suggestions?

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The 'burn' or pump is not an indication of a good workout, so no need to worry about that. As for bicep development: how old are you, how long have you been lifting weights, and what is your routine?
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    The 'burn' or pump is not an indication of a good workout, so no need to worry about that. As for bicep development: how old are you, how long have you been lifting weights, and what is your routine?
    I have been working out for just under a year, but I really started taking bodybuilding seriously (good meals, lean bulking, supplements, etc.) about a month ago. As for my workout routine, I perform a five day split during the week (Monday: Back, Tuesday: Chest, Wednesday: Legs, Thursday: Delts, Friday: Arms).

For arm day I do -
    Standard Dumbbell Bicep Curls - 4 sets of increasing reps (10, 12, 12, 14)
    Hammer Curls - 4 sets of 10 reps each
    Dumbbell Skull Crushers - 4 sets of 12 reps each
    Dumbbell Overhead Tricep Extension - 4 sets of 12 reps each
    Wrist Curls - 4 sets of 12 reps each

gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by PumpBruh View Post
    I have been working out for just under a year, but I really started taking bodybuilding seriously (good meals, lean bulking, supplements, etc.) about a month ago. As for my workout routine, I perform a five day split during the week (Monday: Back, Tuesday: Chest, Wednesday: Legs, Thursday: Delts, Friday: Arms).

For arm day I do -
    Standard Dumbbell Bicep Curls - 4 sets of increasing reps (10, 12, 12, 14)
    Hammer Curls - 4 sets of 10 reps each
    Dumbbell Skull Crushers - 4 sets of 12 reps each
    Dumbbell Overhead Tricep Extension - 4 sets of 12 reps each
    Wrist Curls - 4 sets of 12 reps each
    That is not a good routine; you can hit each muscle group more often than that; you are also likely to not be following progressive overload which would account for lack of progress too. Check out a proven beginner routine, it will have a more structured progress scheme. I'd recommend AllPro's beginner routine or Fierce 5 and following it as written. Progress should be quick but it does still take time to notice physical improvements, you look at yourself daily so it sometimes feels like nothing is changing.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=179232481
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

[QUOTE=gbullock32;1665222313]That is not a good routine; you can hit each muscle group more often than that; you are also likely to not be following progressive overload which would account for lack of progress too. Check out a proven beginner routine, it will have a more structured progress scheme. I'd recommend AllPro's beginner routine or Fierce 5 and following it as written. Progress should be quick but it does still take time to notice physical improvements, you look at yourself daily so it sometimes feels like nothing is changing.

I looked at the workout routine. May not be able to follow it though as I am only working with a pair of adjustable dumbbells and a bench. I may be able to have to go to my school gym sometimes though. Exciting to try this workout! Thanks for your help

Originally Posted by PumpBruh View Post

I looked at the workout routine. May not be able to follow it though as I am only working with a pair of adjustable dumbbells and a bench. I may be able to have to go to my school gym sometimes though. Exciting to try this workout! Thanks for your help
    It can be done with just dumbbells, from the Q&A part of the thread "Q8: Can I use dumbbells instead of a barbell to perform the exercises in this routine?
    A:db floor press
    goblet squat
    hammer grip rows
    hammer grip SLDL
    seated arnold press"

So you just swap a few things around and it will work.

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    It can be done with just dumbbells, from the Q&A part of the thread "Q8: Can I use dumbbells instead of a barbell to perform the exercises in this routine?
    A:db floor press
    goblet squat
    hammer grip rows
    hammer grip SLDL
    seated arnold press"

So you just swap a few things around and it will work.
    Sounds good. You been a great help