xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Squat form - breaking parallel/ alleviating buttwink

I'd like to get some pointers of my squat. If I could without my lower back rounding I would go ATG to get full ROM. I was getting some lower back pain after squatting so I widened my stance (it felt more comfortable) and the pain has now subsided. On the other hand I felt an 'impingement' pain on my right front hip last week after widening my stance, although I didn't feel it today so I may have squatted incorrectly during my last routine. I'm also performing planks prior to squatting (see why here, and here, which I think helped).

For all intents and purposes, I'm a complete novice - been lifting and eating properly for the past 15 weeks (I stopped working out in 2012).

8 reps (side view): https://imgur.com/ioXkpBC
    8 reps (back view)/ wide stance: https://imgur.com/KrLMsY1
    Bar only squat to illustrate lower-back rounding/buttwink: https://imgur.com/5j2rOWE

I'd like to break parallel on a consistent basis. Honestly during the lift it feels like I am, but the video reveals otherwise.

Thanks, any pointers are much appreciated!
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks fine.
    Just don't go so deep that you round over.
    If you do it won't kill you anyway.

Brace harder. Keep squatting.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depth is fine, stance looks a bit narrow for you.

very little else to say with that weight.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Curious if the head extending back on the ascent in the first video is normal.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depth is decent, you'd just need to go slightly deeper if you want to be at or break parallel consistently - but there's no need to go ATG. Many people will round their backs ATG.

Turn your left foot outwards just a bit to match your right unless you have a reason not to.

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks everyone for your views!

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Looks fine.
    Just don't go so deep that you round over.
    If you do it won't kill you anyway.

Brace harder. Keep squatting.
    Thanks man - any cues to brace harder?

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Depth is fine, stance looks a bit narrow for you.

very little else to say with that weight.
    Without the video I thought I was squatting too wide! I'll try widening up some more as it's feeling better than when I was squatting narrower.

I'm hoping that weight will increase two-fold in a years' time...

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Curious if the head extending back on the ascent in the first video is normal.
    Didn't notice this to be honest, you've just made me aware...

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Depth is decent, you'd just need to go slightly deeper if you want to be at or break parallel consistently - but there's no need to go ATG. Many people will round their backs ATG.

Turn your left foot outwards just a bit to match your right unless you have a reason not to.
    Good spot - my feet should both be angled the same way (in opposite directions of course).

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Using an adjustable box as a target my help with depth and consistency.
    Dont sit just touch.
    Slowly reach depth(lower box) over time with several training sessions.
    Only lower when your solid at each depth.
    Take box away when your where you want to be.
    You may also have mobility/flexibility issues with possibly hips,hamstrings,hip flexors that could cause butt wink.
    The other issue could be your low back is a weakness on your squat when you get heavy.
    Good mornings may help.
    Good luck.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xuerebx View Post
    Didn't notice this to be honest, you've just made me aware...
    Just curious.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Using an adjustable box as a target my help with depth and consistency.
    Dont sit just touch.
    Slowly reach depth(lower box) over time with several training sessions.
    Only lower when your solid at each depth.
    Take box away when your where you want to be.
    You may also have mobility/flexibility issues with possibly hips,hamstrings,hip flexors that could cause butt wink.
    The other issue could be your low back is a weakness on your squat when you get heavy.
    Good mornings may help.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Just curious.
    Probably from trying to press hard on the floor (screwing my legs in the ground) - it does look weird though lol

NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This article seems to go extend past my knowledge. I'm probably actually going to tweak a couple of my warm up stretches based on this article.

https://thebarbellphysio.com/fixing-squat-butt-wink/

If between hip mobility and ankle mobility your issue is ankle mobility, then check your shoe heel lift. competitive lifters sue 1/2 - 3/4" heel rise. I've been appreciating a $30 pair of versalifts added to my 4mm rise training shoes.

Based on that article though I need to still check my hip mobility. I can ready admit my childs pose is pretty darn stiff.

Originally Posted by NomadNA View Post
    This article seems to go extend past my knowledge. I'm probably actually going to tweak a couple of my warm up stretches based on this article.

https://thebarbellphysio.com/fixing-squat-butt-wink/

If between hip mobility and ankle mobility your issue is ankle mobility, then check your shoe heel lift. competitive lifters sue 1/2 - 3/4" heel rise. I've been appreciating a $30 pair of versalifts added to my 4mm rise training shoes.

Based on that article though I need to still check my hip mobility. I can ready admit my childs pose is pretty darn stiff.
    Thanks for the link! I've tested my ankle mobility and it seems to be fine - plus I train with shoes which are slightly lifted to help in any case. As for hip mobility, my internal rotation isn't very good - there's a section on this in the article you linked.