reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help with losing weight & gaining muscle

Hello guys i live in canada, im 19 years old, and im 6ft(183cm). I currently weigh 220 Ibs(~100kg) i would like to focus on losing weight while gaining enough muscle mass to be considered fit. im not experienced enough in the gym and would like some help or support if you will. i really dislike cardio and would like to do weight lifting or bodyweight exercises as much as possible. i am in a 700 caloric deficit right now and i usually eat a quest bar in the morning then eat 300grams of chicken breasts for lunch and then snack on another quest in the evening and for dinner i usually get more chicken or just some small amount of cereal. i would like to optimize my weightloss and muscle mass gain as much as possible and my goal is to hit 170 pounds(77kgs). so my questions are what can i do to get more muscle mass in my upperbody preferably and how fast would you say i can do it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by reallyibra; 09-19-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Originally Posted by reallyibra View Post
    Hello guys i live in canada, im 19 years old, and im 6ft(183cm). I currently weigh 220 Ibs(~100kg) i would like to focus on losing weight while gaining enough muscle mass to be considered fit. im not experienced enough in the gym and would like some help or support if you will. i really dislike cardio and would like to do weight lifting or bodyweight exercises as much as possible. i am in a 700 caloric deficit right now and i usually eat a quest bar in the morning then eat 300grams of chicken breasts for lunch and then snack on another quest in the evening and for dinner i usually get more chicken or just some small amount of cereal. i would like to optimize my weightloss and muscle mass gain as much as possible and my goal is to hit 170 pounds(77kgs). so my questions are what can i do to get more muscle mass in my upperbody preferably and how fast would you say i can do it.
    heres hoping someone helps

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Read these stickies:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=165843261

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

Have you lost weight and if so how much in the last 3 weeks?

You need to focus on one goal at your current moment as you have excess fat. You may gain some muscle in a deficit but you must think this as a added bonus focus on losing some fat first but ensure you are weight training any of these programs would be fine:-

For training follow one of these programs and keep progressing as described in the program:-

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#gref - Strong Lifts

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=169172473 - Allpro

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631 - Fierce 5

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs - Starting Strength

https://rippedbody.com/novice-bodybuilding-program/ - Rippedbody Eric Helms and co

Cardio is not essential but being more active will help make a larger deficit to lose weight. Aim to lose about 1-2lbs a week.

Thank you very much for the answer. i lost about 7 Ibs last 3 weeks(18days). I will definitely check these programs out and try one for atleast 2 weeks. My only fear is losing muscle along the fat, but if i can mantain or even gain even 5-10 Ibs of muscle while losing 50 Ibs of fat that would be great.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by reallyibra View Post
    Thank you very much for the answer. i lost about 7 Ibs last 3 weeks(18days). I will definitely check these programs out and try one for atleast 2 weeks. My only fear is losing muscle along the fat, but if i can mantain or even gain even 5-10 Ibs of muscle while losing 50 Ibs of fat that would be great.
    Well 7lbs in 3 weeks is good work so you have made good headway. Remember weight training is the key so make sure you follow one. By all means try one and see if you like it but the key is adherence you must progress on the weight training program in order to build muscle. Whilst cutting you can build a small amount of muscle but its main focus is muscle retention.

As long as you are getting in your protein and weight training and increase intensity you are retaining muscle (and maybe even growing some). I wouldn't put a number on your target yet as you will need to build some muscle before getting to your final goal so go by the mirror. Personally i would say cut until you have some core definition (not abs as they are pointless with the supporting lean body mass) then consider switching to a bulk. Repeat that until you are happy with your muscle mass then cut down to abs.

It will probably take a few cutting and bulking cycles and possible a couple of years but you will notice the changes once you get slightly leaner which will give you great motivation.

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    Well 7lbs in 3 weeks is good work so you have made good headway. Remember weight training is the key so make sure you follow one. By all means try one and see if you like it but the key is adherence you must progress on the weight training program in order to build muscle. Whilst cutting you can build a small amount of muscle but its main focus is muscle retention.

As long as you are getting in your protein and weight training and increase intensity you are retaining muscle (and maybe even growing some). I wouldn't put a number on your target yet as you will need to build some muscle before getting to your final goal so go by the mirror. Personally i would say cut until you have some core definition (not abs as they are pointless with the supporting lean body mass) then consider switching to a bulk. Repeat that until you are happy with your muscle mass then cut down to abs.

It will probably take a few cutting and bulking cycles and possible a couple of years but you will notice the changes once you get slightly leaner which will give you great motivation.
    Really cant appreciate this enough. but i have a question for you as an experienced gym guy. im new to weight lifting and especially gyms. and i heard a lot of people that new guys gain the most muscle for the same work done by veterans. is it true? (edit: i meant as in the first 2-3 months new guys gain more muscle than veterans with the same time period)