Jayraf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Lost in a sea of information online and have confused myself in what I should be doi

Hi there .

Been a fan of all the help on here and the non BS approach since discovering the forum a few months ago and looking at the transformations and comment on here it’s something I am interested in doing or just getting more info and help as I am somewhat clueless at times. Please go easy on me in terms of information and knowledge.

Basically I’m a 34 year old male who’s put on a bit of weight and lost much muscle over the last few years due new less active job and family life and confusion with training .

I’ve tried and failed the following programs over the last few years mainly down to my diet and losing motivation :
    Strong Lifts (Ended up putting on a lot of fat)
    Split (Ended up much very little progress or gains)
    A lot of running (Ended up losing A lot of body fat but also a lot of muscle)
    ICF (Burned out too quick)

Basically I’m at a lose end with training and diet and nutrition , I really can’t tell if I’m under eating or over eating at times.

Any ways I have recently joined a gym with equipment , free weights at home with squat bar , cardio machines , swimming pool . I got a fit bit and all that blah . I am determined to make a real go at getting more toned and losing fat and putting on muscle (I know all 3 can’t be done at the same time right ?). I kinda get how myfitness pal works but still don’t get if I should add calories burned or not ?

Any ways I started back up stronglifts 3x5 (3x5 due to limiting work outs to 1.5 hours due to work and life and most time I can spend per eve training) at the start of November and just started back up after the xmas break . progressing as following :

Workout A.
    Squat 3 x 5 : 50 kg – 97.5 kg . deload to 87.5 kg after returning after Xmas.
    Bench 3 x 5 : 42.5 kg – 65 kg. deload to 55 kg after returning after Xmas.
    Row 3 x 5 : 35 kg – 60 kg. deload to 50kg after returning after Xmas.

Ab crunches – 3 x 15.
    Bicep Curls 3 x 10 – 30 kg.
    Push ups 3 x 10.

Workout B.
    Squat 3 x 5 : 50 kg – 97.5 kg . deload to 87.5 kg after returning after Xmas.
    OH Press 3 x 5 : 35kg – 55kg.
    Deadlift 1 x 5 :60kg -85kg.

BB Shugs : progressed to 3 x 10 45kg.
    Lat pull down progressed to 3 x 10 45kg.
    Tri pressdowns progressed to 3 x 10 26kg.

I’m lost in a sea of information online and have confused myself in what I should be doing after reading stuff that counters the other stuff etc.

Sorry to bore you with all this but like I said I really don’t know what to do and where to start or to carry on with this?

My main concern is the amount of weight I put on doing stronglifts as in the amount of fat . Christmas excess did not help and I feel I’m at a lose end at times as I don’t see much difference in my appearance only when I put on weight as in fat.
    I don’t know if I should be cutting bulking or adding cardio or change programs ? and need help with diet.

I’m willing to work for it as I got to give it a go and try to have a better shape and healthier lifestyle as I got no excuses now the kids are not toddlers and all the info from here and home gym and a local gym all available to me.

Thank you in reading this .

Any help with be amazing .

Thanks.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    What's your height and weight? Approximate waist circumference? (take this first thing in the morning, relaxed, lying down, at navel height).

You are already doing SL 5x5, keep doing that and follow it exactly as written.

The only other decision to make is how many calories and how much protein. Once you've got that, just use myfitnesspal to make sure you hit those targets.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    What's your height and weight? Approximate waist circumference? (take this first thing in the morning, relaxed, lying down, at navel height).

You are already doing SL 5x5, keep doing that and follow it exactly as written.

The only other decision to make is how many calories and how much protein. Once you've got that, just use myfitnesspal to make sure you hit those targets.
    Thanks for the quick reply SuffolkPunch much appreciated , ill reply with the measurements tomorrow morning .
    im doing SL 3 x 5 , do you think I should do 5 x 5 instead ? time was an issue see.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Jayraf View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply SuffolkPunch much appreciated , ill reply with the measurements tomorrow morning .
    im doing SL 3 x 5 , do you think I should do 5 x 5 instead ? time was an issue see.
    So you aren't doing it as written? Or do they allow this adjustment? If not, changing stuff is almost always a mistake. Either do it properly or chose another program. Fierce 5 for example, is designed around 3x5.

So you aren't doing it as written? Or do they allow this adjustment? If not, changing stuff is almost always a mistake. Either do it properly or chose another program. Fierce 5 for example, is designed around 3x5.
    Ok . Thanks for the help . I switched it to 3 x 5 as I was planning on cutting due to high body fat levels .
    ill check out fierce 5 and my measurements.

Thanks again for the help.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    SL 5*5 has an option for 3*5 and even 3*3 to bust plateau if you have repeatedly stalled for a while to try to squeeze the last drops of gains out of the program. It's intended for short period and Not as some option for people who like the look of 3*5 instead. The program has 5*5 in the name for a reason. See their website for any SL questions as the program is pretty extensively explained with many FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Medhi from SL didn't keep turning up where you live and work (leaping out of cupboards like Kato), and shoving food in your mouth. At least if he did... that's not the standard program. So don't blame SL or any other program for making you fat.

Fierce5 is a good option. Do it as written and also follow https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm

Don't be confused, don't overthink this. Just follow Fierce5 instructions + calorie calculator linked above + train consistently. That's just 3 things, and no need to be overwhelmed.

Enjoy...
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 01-04-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Hi oldfarttom

yes your right my diet has been slacking and I need to record and sort that out and I shall follow the fierce 5 workout with my current weights previously explained.

Thanks for the link for macronutcal for my daily calorie allowance. a few questions :

. with doing fierce 5 x 3 times a week and light cardio - treadmill / swimming if time permits on rest days. Would say that is lightly active or moderate active ? I work at a IT firm and am mostly office based .

Thanks for the help and advice , I feel I am making sense of it and I am focused on getting my arse in gear !

SuffolkPunch

I am 5 ft 8 - 83KG approximate waist circumference 34-36 inch.

Thanks for all your help much appreciated .

I'd run standard Fierce 5 and set calories slightly below maintenance. Aim to lose maybe a couple of lbs a month and make consistent progress with lifting.

Thanks for all your help .

my Daily Caloric Intake should be around the 1800 mark according to the linked above Calorie Calculator counter .

would protein in take be around 30 percent of this ?

Don't rely on calculators, they just guesses - and that sounds like your BMR, not your TDEE. Try starting at 2200 calories, run that for 2 weeks and adjust from there depending on weight changes.

Also, protein is not a percentage. It's calculated as (a minimum of) 1.6g per kg of bodyweight.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't use percentages for your macros

Check Nutrition Forum stickies

I'd aim for at least 130g of protein or up to 180g if it's not hard to do (shouldn't be necessary to get that much though). 150 would be good I think

1800 sounds low

ok thanks again

Ok ill try 2200 and between 130 - 180 g of protein .
    ill read up on the nutrition forum .

Thanks Farley 1324.

as long as I hit my daily protein and on target with tdee around 2200 I should be ok right ?
    fats and carbs can be made up of the remaining ? correct ?

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jayraf View Post
    as long as I hit my daily protein and on target with tdee around 2200 I should be ok right ?
    fats and carbs can be made up of the remaining ? correct ?
    If that calorie total ends up being what you need for your weight change goals, then what matters other than hitting protein, as far as daily macros goes, is hitting the minimum for dietary fat. Gotta hit the protein and fat minimums, fill in the rest as you see fit, if possible time carbs around your workout (before, during, or after) but if not don't worry about timing

Brilliant . thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'd run standard Fierce 5 and set calories slightly below maintenance. Aim to lose maybe a couple of lbs a month and make consistent progress with lifting.
    Having read up on Fierce 5 would you suggest I start the program using 85% of the weight I am currently using for these excises as stated in the sticky ?

If that's what it says then you don't even need to ask.

Ok thanks for the reply and your help . i was just worried that it would be a back step in progression made on my current program. But reading and seeing how the progressive overload works on Fierce 5 I can see it being up to the current levels in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Jayraf; 01-08-2019 at 01:06 AM.

OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good decision.
    You'll see over the next few months just what a good decision it was. Good luck

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Good decision.
    You'll see over the next few months just what a good decision it was. Good luck
    Thanks for the help and advice tom you and Suffolk punch have been a great help.

Enjoying the program and enjoying finally sorting my diet out thanks due to both on yours advice .

question regarding cardio / off days . How much do you do ? It says in the stickys moderate to light , but what exactly is moderate to light when it comes to running on a treadmill / swimming . how far / how long ?

Thanks again.

Do cardio for the right reasons

It will: improve your cardiovascular conditioning (although weight training still improves that) and the markers of health

It will not: allow you to gain muscle at the same time as losing fat like some think.

Do something like half an hour 2x a week with about 70% of max heart rate. Do it non weight training days if possible.

Do cardio for the right reasons

It will: improve your cardiovascular conditioning (although weight training still improves that) and the markers of health

It will not: allow you to gain muscle at the same time as losing fat like some think.

Do something like half an hour 2x a week with about 70% of max heart rate. Do it non weight training days if possible.
    Thanks for the help again man , much appreciated.

A bit like weights... You start easy.. too easy. Then you slowly gradually increase it.

Don't suddenly do a big bunch of cardio on day 1. Build it up gradually starting from quick and easy, then progressing

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    A bit like weights... You start easy.. too easy. Then you slowly gradually increase it.

Don't suddenly do a big bunch of cardio on day 1. Build it up gradually starting from quick and easy, then progressing
    Thanks Tom