TheWolfBadger is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What is the proper diet?

So first off I'm going to give a little bit of information about me.
    I'm a Male.
    I'm 20 years old of age.
    Weight: 157 lbs
    Height: 6'1"
    Waist: 30"
    I have no idea what my body fat % is, maybe you can tell me. I'm basically trying to get a six pack, but I don't wanna go fully all out. I would just like to maintain a 7%-10% body fat %.
    So far my diet has been:
    Breakfast:
    - Oatmeal (little brown sugar on top) with some raisins
    - 1 Banana
    - Cup of Milk
    Lunch:
    - Half of a wrap (could be chicken caesar or turkey and swiss with spinach)
    - Vitamin Water Zero
    - FitCrunch Cookies and Cream bar is eaten here or at dinner
    Dinner:
    - Bowl of tuna or cooked chicken with black pepper and green beans as a side
    - Cup of goldfish
    - FitCrunch Cookies and Cream bar is eaten here or already eaten at lunch
    Is there any possible way I can put a whole wheat tuna and tomato subway footlong into this diet? This may sound like a joke, but I'm serious as it would make this a whole lot easier to maintain.

I am very lean, but I haven't been noticing too much ab structure, but my stomach is flat. What am I doing wrong? It can be possible I haven't been eating enough. Please let me know your thoughts. All criticism is allowed and appreciated. Thanks so much!

per aspera ad infernos DemonCleaner101's Avatar
    DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Everyone will give you the same answer, read the stickies at the top of this forum regarding food/nutrition and post your workout routine.
    Former Navy Russian Linguist, now happily a stay at home Dad/French/German student

Originally Posted by DemonCleaner101 View Post
    Everyone will give you the same answer, read the stickies at the top of this forum regarding food/nutrition and post your workout routine.
    Is there a certain format you could copy and paste? Thanks.

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want a diet critique, post calories and macros. A list of foods without them means nothing.

At your stats, if you don't have abs yet, it's because your core is not developed enough. Trying to lose more weight isn't the way to do it. Also, single digit bf% isn't sustainable long term. ~12% is more reasonable.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TheWolfBadger View Post
    So first off I'm going to give a little bit of information about me.
    I'm a Male.
    I'm 20 years old of age.
    Weight: 157 lbs
    Height: 6'1"
    Waist: 30"
    I have no idea what my body fat % is, maybe you can tell me. I'm basically trying to get a six pack, but I don't wanna go fully all out. I would just like to maintain a 7%-10% body fat %.
    So far my diet has been:
    Breakfast:
    - Oatmeal (little brown sugar on top) with some raisins
    - 1 Banana
    - Cup of Milk
    Lunch:
    - Half of a wrap (could be chicken caesar or turkey and swiss with spinach)
    - Vitamin Water Zero
    - FitCrunch Cookies and Cream bar is eaten here or at dinner
    Dinner:
    - Bowl of tuna or cooked chicken with black pepper and green beans as a side
    - Cup of goldfish
    - FitCrunch Cookies and Cream bar is eaten here or already eaten at lunch
    Is there any possible way I can put a whole wheat tuna and tomato subway footlong into this diet? This may sound like a joke, but I'm serious as it would make this a whole lot easier to maintain.

I am very lean, but I haven't been noticing too much ab structure, but my stomach is flat. What am I doing wrong? It can be possible I haven't been eating enough. Please let me know your thoughts. All criticism is allowed and appreciated. Thanks so much!
    Download a calorie-counting app or input your nutrition onto a tracking website such as MyFitnessPal.com (easier for tracking meal by meal) or Cronometer.com (better for tracking very very specific nutritents).

Eat to a target calorie goal for a couple of weeks and see how your weight changes, if at all.

If you maintain weight, then whatever your average daily calorie intake was during that period is what roughly what your maintenance calorie intake is (calories required to stay the same weight). If you wanna lose weight, subtract a couple/few hundred calories from that number. If you're gaining muscle/size, add about 10% to the number.

However, I will say this... at 6'1" and 157lb, it really sounds like you're missing a training routine geared toward muscle gain, and from the looks of it you're just an average dude right now.

My recommendation would be to follow the tracking steps I mentioned so you can have an idea of how much you should eat, and get on a good starting weight lifting program so you can gain some actual, quality muscle mass. Eat in a reasonable calorie surplus (about 10% over your maintenance) and focus on getting stronger over the long term.

If you just 'cut' to see abs, you'll end up a ripped twig... like me... and it's not the best state to be in when you lack strength and size.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Originally Posted by dipatel13 View Post
    If you want a diet critique, post calories and macros. A list of foods without them means nothing.

At your stats, if you don't have abs yet, it's because your core is not developed enough. Trying to lose more weight isn't the way to do it. Also, single digit bf% isn't sustainable long term. ~12% is more reasonable.
    I'm fine with 10-12%, but I just want to get to that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's my exercises. I basically do the ab twister around 12 reps at 6 sets each side at 135 lbs. I do the crunch with added 20lbs in weight. I may be calling the machines by their completely wrong names, I apologize for that. I'm not quite sure what macros is?

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Download a calorie-counting app or input your nutrition onto a tracking website such as MyFitnessPal.com (easier for tracking meal by meal) or Cronometer.com (better for tracking very very specific nutritents).

Eat to a target calorie goal for a couple of weeks and see how your weight changes, if at all.

If you maintain weight, then whatever your average daily calorie intake was during that period is what roughly what your maintenance calorie intake is (calories required to stay the same weight). If you wanna lose weight, subtract a couple/few hundred calories from that number. If you're gaining muscle/size, add about 10% to the number.

However, I will say this... at 6'1" and 157lb, it really sounds like you're missing a training routine geared toward muscle gain, and from the looks of it you're just an average dude right now.

My recommendation would be to follow the tracking steps I mentioned so you can have an idea of how much you should eat, and get on a good starting weight lifting program so you can gain some actual, quality muscle mass. Eat in a reasonable calorie surplus (about 10% over your maintenance) and focus on getting stronger over the long term.

If you just 'cut' to see abs, you'll end up a ripped twig... like me... and it's not the best state to be in when you lack strength and size.
    What should be my routine for abs?

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    - Cup of goldfish
    You monster
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need a routine to work your whole body, not just your abs. Get on a plan like Fierce 5.

Originally Posted by TheGymJim View Post
    You monster
    I probably should of mentioned it's the goldfish cracker snacks, not actual goldfish. You did make me chuckle though xD

You need a routine to work your whole body, not just your abs. Get on a plan like Fierce 5.
    Where can I find Fierce 5 and is it done every day?

per aspera ad infernos DemonCleaner101's Avatar
    DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DemonCleaner101 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I probably should of mentioned it's the goldfish cracker snacks, not actual goldfish. You did make me chuckle though xD
    I knew immediately, its the best part about having a 5 year old, I get to steal her goldfish snacks.
    Former Navy Russian Linguist, now happily a stay at home Dad/French/German student

Originally Posted by DemonCleaner101 View Post
    I knew immediately, its the best part about having a 5 year old, I get to steal her goldfish snacks.
    I don't have any kids, but I still go out and buy the big box of them at the store anyhow. I don't care if I get looks LOL

Where can I find Fierce 5 and is it done every day?
    read this and follow it as written: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631

Make sure you're eating enough to slowly gain 1-2lbs per month.

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You mean the crunchy snack that smiles back until you bite their head off?

That TV ad is one of the most vivid memories I have from living in Cali for some reason
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

Originally Posted by TheGymJim View Post
    You mean the crunchy snack that smiles back until you bite their head off?

That TV ad is one of the most vivid memories I have from living in Cali for some reason
    I'm totally aware I should of put "A cup of the snack that smiles back" instead of "A cup of goldfish" I apologize for all the confusion :P

While I do appreciate all the advice so far. No one has answered the specific question at the end though, is adding a subway sandwich for the dinner fine or terrible?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    x2

im loving F5
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

up to you... you'll get core engagement from doing compounds, but anything like hanging leg raises, planks, cable crunches... etc... don't need more than a few sets though in my opinion... right now you should focus mainly on other aspects of lifting.

I'm totally aware I should of put "A cup of the snack that smiles back" instead of "A cup of goldfish" I apologize for all the confusion :P

While I do appreciate all the advice so far. No one has answered the specific question at the end though, is adding a subway sandwich for the dinner fine or terrible?
    We can't answer that since you provided no calories or macros.

We can't answer that since you provided no calories or macros.
    How do I calculate macros? I will add in the calorie amounts tomorrow. Thanks for the help!