currytoys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I Be Taking Protein Powder If I'm Trying To Lose Weight But Still Build Muscle

I am new to bodybuilding with little knowledge...I joined a local gym 2 months ago. I'm about 20 to 25 pounds over weight so weight loss is my main goal but I definitely want to build muscle and cuts at the same time. Is muscle building protein powder a good or bad idea for my body type and workout for my workout goals? Will it slow me down from loosing weight?
    Thanks for any helpful response.
    Sandy...

AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AliMay is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    First off Sandy,
    You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. You focus on one at a time. If you aren't obese which it doesn't sound like you are I would go the muscle building route first. You will probably be more happy with how your body looks with added muscle vs lower weight.
    As for the protein, take the supplement if you are lacking enough protein macros in your diet. The protein alone won't build muscle. You will still need to be at a slight calorie surplus for that to happen. Check out the nutrition stickies on here. They are a big help and can explain everything more in depth.

LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No, protein powder won't hinder fat loss-it's all about the calories you've consumed that day. Protein powder simply helps you to reach your protein requirement for the day, and whether you are trying to build muscle or lose fat, getting enough protein in your diet is key. So in addition to lean meats, eggs, and dairy, whey protein is just another protein source to add to your diet. Also I agree with the above comment-it would be best to focus on either muscle building or losing fat, not both at the same time.
    Lindsay Cappotelli TeamMuscleTech
    lindsaycappotelli.blogspot.com

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As a newbie, you will build muscle while losing fat (newbie gains). That said, protein powder is fine if you can't get enough protein in with foods.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pullupsNpb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As mentioned before, it is all about total calories. Many people recommend whole foods as opposed to protein shakes for fat loss mainly because whole food is more filling. There is nothing wrong with having a protein shake, though, especially for convenience purposes.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you're 20-25 lbs overweight your focus will be fat loss while preserving the muscle you have now. Protein shakes a personal preference. If you get enough whole food sources you wouldn't need them.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your goal, whether to lose fat or gain muscle, should be to eat around 1g of protein per lb of goal or ideal bodyweight. If you have trouble meeting those needs with real food, then protein supplementation is great. I personally find it hard to fit all the protein in real food on a cutting diet, but not so much on a maintenance or bulking diet, so I tend to eat a lot more powder during diets.

Eat to lose around 1 lb per week, until you get to probably within 5 lbs of goal. Then it'll slow to around 1/4 - 1/2 lb per week. Lift a solid program and eat that protein and you'll be doing great.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karenwessick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This thread strikes home for me.

I have a LOT of trouble getting to a gram a pound whether bulking OR cutting.

For me, protein powder has a rather embarrassing side effect - a gnarly case of gas. Frequent AND nasty.

I've tried several brands without relief, would love some suggestions from anyone that's had this problem and found a safe one. I'm sure I'd make more progress if I could add protein without becoming a social outcast. Still, I *am* making some fair progress without it.

I'm thinking if you're trying to lose weight the protein is even more important to prevent muscle loss. I know I've lost lean mass while cutting that probably would not have been lost had I gotten enough protein during that time.

anonymous
    Originally Posted by karenwessick View Post

For me, protein powder has a rather embarrassing side effect - a gnarly case of gas. Frequent AND nasty.

I've tried several brands without relief, would love some suggestions from anyone that's had this problem and found a safe one. I'm sure I'd make more progress if I could add protein without becoming a social outcast. Still, I *am* making some fair progress without it.

I'm thinking if you're trying to lose weight the protein is even more important to prevent muscle loss. I know I've lost lean mass while cutting that probably would not have been lost had I gotten enough protein during that time.

I switched to Premier Protein pre-mixed protein supplements recently, because of that very problem. They have 30 gr protein, 160 cal., low fat, l gr sugar - and taste pretty good. I get both the chocolate and vanilla by the case, at Costco. Right now in my area they sell for $24.99 per case, 18 count. And no bloating/smelly gas!!! I have a difficult time making my protein macro requirements day to day, so I usually drink 2 of these during the day.

Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Arappuhn is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Same. Then I discovered grass fed dairy because dairy just makes my stomach act so mean. I use Gnarly protein powder. It's a grass fed protein powder and is the cleanest protein I've ever tasted. There is not a single artificial taste to it and the chocolate flavor is straight up chocolate milk; great for pancakes, protein coffee, and in plain water. It was night and day difference from using ON protein.

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Have you tried mixing it with water or almond milk? If I mix mine with milk I have a seriously stinky problem

lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lovelolo0108 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    a digestive enzyme did it for me took away all the bloat and nasty gas!