Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LinebackerGod View Post
    that is the only answer dumbass. hence why people call it a pussy pad. the only real problem could be it rolling off your back but ive never used one
    no. it isnt.

he asked a legit question you ass
    Last edited by Delgadido; 07-06-2011 at 02:19 AM.

angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50) angelofangle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The "Puss-Pad" makes it extremely fat. For me, it makes it harder for me to even find the groove where I position my squats. That's me though. Low-bar squats are just impossible with the "Puss-Pad." Extremely unstable and always tries to roll-off.
    Purple and Red till the day we're dead! - SigEp

“Don't **** with this. Every bodybuilder seems to have Attention Deficit Disorder and an overwhelming desire to customize everything.” -Madcow2

TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The worst part about using a pad when squatting is telling your parents you're gay.

But if you decide to use one (I hear it's acceptable in New York now), as a fashion rule make sure that your gloves match the pad.

On a serious note, if you ever plan on squatting some serious weight then you're better off just ditching the pad. The pad can make things quite unstable and dangerous with 500, 600 or 700lbs on your back. Or even less. Also, if you're so worried about a little bit of discomfort or a tiny bit of raw skin then you're in the wrong hobby and should probably pick up crochet or scrap-booking or something.
    Last edited by TrettinR; 07-06-2011 at 04:04 AM.
    There is no such thing as 'strong enough'

darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you find it better to use the pad, use the pad.

I use a pad; not the normal gym ones. I use some pipe lagging.

I find it more comfortable, and have no issues with balance while using it.

Some people make comments about it, but generally people just get on with their own business. I don't use straps for deadlifts. This is my choice, I won't comment on those who do. In other words: worry only about what you are doing!
    Last edited by darrenash; 07-06-2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: typo
    Love to train.... hate gyms!

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 400Lb Gorilla View Post
    i think the pad originally came into popularity so that people could workout in tank tops and wifebeaters more comfortably(srs)
    That's really interesting actually, never thought about that. I think the guys were using one in Pumping Iron, though it might have just been a towel.

Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    Pad FTW. For those who wanna use it. Tool of the trade. You get used to it, it's not rocket science. Sure, there are factors that can make a slight difference compared to not using it, but that should be negligible. Because, you get used to it, it's not rocket science.
    I agree. Who cares?

Originally Posted by NCAA View Post
    One of the most ignorant things said on this page
    Lulz. Chaos and Pain FTW!

Originally Posted by angelofangle View Post
    The "Puss-Pad" makes it extremely fat. For me, it makes it harder for me to even find the groove where I position my squats. That's me though. Low-bar squats are just impossible with the "Puss-Pad." Extremely unstable and always tries to roll-off.
    Same. I have put close to 700 on my shoulders with no discomfort at all, but throw on 405 with the pad and it hurts.

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    Pad FTW. For those who wanna use it. Tool of the trade. You get used to it, it's not rocket science. Sure, there are factors that can make a slight difference compared to not using it, but that should be negligible. Because, you get used to it, it's not rocket science.
    Dear Zoran:

Please stop pussifying America.

Thanks,

Parents Against Zorans. (PAZ)

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NCAA View Post
    One of the most ignorant things said on this page
    Please indulge me in how much weight you squat with the pussy pad. I'm curious.

It was tongue-in-cheek, dumbass. The pad does **** with your stability and balance.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

timeless, and relevant

[Lawrence has just extinguished a match between his thumb and forefinger. William Potter surreptitiously attempts the same]

William Potter: Ooh! It damn well 'urts!
    T.E. Lawrence: Certainly it hurts.
    Officer: What's the trick then?
    T.E. Lawrence: The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

"Lawrence of Arabia," 1962.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    [Lawrence has just extinguished a match between his thumb and forefinger. William Potter surreptitiously attempts the same]

When I'm doing bench press, I don't want to feel someone snapping a rubber band against my shins. It's just too distracting. It is not because I am a pussy.

When I'm doing lateral raises, I don't want to feel someone is hitting my toes with a hammer.

When I'm squatting, I don't want to feel someone is rolling a barrel cactus up and down the back of my neck.

My goal is to be able to squat while 100% of my attention is on my legs and get a mind/muscle connection. I use the pad and ALSO roll a small bath towel around that. Hardly even feel it's there, which is a mental advantage for me over having the constant reminder that I'm lifting something "heavy" by having a narrow iron bar mashing against my muscles. Ones that aren't even directly involved in moving the weight.
    Time To Re-Schedule

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    When I'm doing bench press, I don't want to feel someone snapping a rubber band against my shins. It's just too distracting. It is not because I am a pussy...
    Why so serious? I think this dead horse has been beaten into dog food about a million times. I was only trying to add some levity to a topic for which there was absolutely nothing left to say. Why it continues to be a subject of debate is beyond me. Why someone's neck would hurt from a low bar squat position is also beyond me, but if it does and there's a way to make it not, then go for it. Either way, to each his own.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)

Yes.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why so serious? I think this dead horse has been beaten into dog food about a million times. I was only trying to add some levity to a topic for which there was absolutely nothing left to say. Why it continues to be a subject of debate is beyond me. Why someone's neck would hurt from a low bar squat position is also beyond me, but if it does and there's a way to make it not, then go for it. Either way, to each his own.
    Sorry. Your quote seems to me to be making a point that is more zen-like than humorous. Kind of like something yoda or obi wan would say to Luke when he is training to be a jedi.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I'm doing bench press, I don't want to feel someone snapping a rubber band against my shins. It's just too distracting. It is not because I am a pussy.

When I'm doing lateral raises, I don't want to feel someone is hitting my toes with a hammer.

When I'm squatting, I don't want to feel someone is rolling a barrel cactus up and down the back of my neck.

My goal is to be able to squat while 100% of my attention is on my legs and get a mind/muscle connection. I use the pad and ALSO roll a small bath towel around that. Hardly even feel it's there, which is a mental advantage for me over having the constant reminder that I'm lifting something "heavy" by having a narrow iron bar mashing against my muscles. Ones that aren't even directly involved in moving the weight.
    If the bar is causing you pain on your neck then you are doing it wrong. Getting used to the pain is stupid, you should understand what you are doing wrong that is causing the pain, not get used to it, and not add a pussy-pad to alleviate it.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There seems to be a lot of people who can't even squat 300lbs bitching and moaning about a barbell making them uncomfortable.... Maybe the gym isn't for you?
    There is no such thing as 'strong enough'

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    If the bar is causing you pain on your neck then you are doing it wrong. Getting used to the pain is stupid, you should understand what you are doing wrong that is causing the pain, not get used to it, and not add a pussy-pad to alleviate it.
    Originally Posted by TrettinR View Post
    There seems to be a lot of people who can't even squat 300lbs bitching and moaning about a barbell making them uncomfortable.... Maybe the gym isn't for you?
    Sorry bro of Ty, but these two are right mang.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Leg press FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Thumbs up

So many real men in this thread.

And one manly lawyer.
    Last edited by ZoranM; 07-06-2011 at 08:29 AM.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) superman9117 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In high school with a real squat rack I didn't use one due to stability but my college only has a smith to squat in & without the full range of motion of a normal squat the pad feels more comfortable. When I worked at a concrete plant during my HS summers back in the day everyone said it was homo to wear gloves but after tearing the skin off my hands I decided to wear them anyways. Guess I'm just full of manly fashion donts lol

Sweat Blood, Bleed Iron! TheStreetKing's Avatar
    TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by gkicksass View Post

name: TOS98SS
    stats: 6'7" 310
    bodyfat: 26%
    max squat: 181lbs

are you fuking kidding me. its 181 fuking lbs and you think its gonna grow a dick on the back of your neck? if you need a pad for that much weight you should probably stick with using the little pink dumbells.

edit: ive seen a 40 year old woman squatting more weight than you without even a belt.

op, youre gonna look like a pussy and its gonna feel awkward as fuk when you go heavy. i havent used a pad in years. it feels way too unstable. and besides that if you are doing a low bar squat right it should rest perfectly between your traps and shoulders without any pain.
    He's 6'7, He probably has to move the weight 4 fking feet, Guys that big ARE NOT GOOD AT SQUATTING due to their body mechanics for the most part!
    Last edited by TheStreetKing; 07-06-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    My Gym is my Church, My Sweat is my Prayers, My Strength is my Salvation, I Am Animal.

Loyalty above all else, Except Honor!

iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
    He's 6'7 you dumbass, He probably has to move the weight 4 fking feet, Guys that big ARE NOT GOOD AT SQUATTING due to their body mechanics for the most part!
    Unless you have some spinal injury and a professional or doctor told you to use the pad, then I'd say learn to squat correctly, place the bar correctly etc so there's no pain. Obviously if it is your first month of ever working out, or from a long break, there's gonna be some natural discomfort. But you have to get used to it, and enjoy it, let it fuel you. Just like a burn from doing an exercise, say if you're training explosive, or plyo or something. You get angry that it hurts LET THE ANGER FUEL LET THE ANGER LIFT THE WEIGHT, EMBRACE THE PAIN. don't put a tampon on the bar.

I just squatted shirtless and did jump squats with lightweight to get used to it. my back was sore for a day and slightly bruised, never felt pain again.. I'm 6'0'' 165 and do 445 parallel.. there's no pain or discomfrot, sometimes ill get it on the wrong spot and i feel pressure but then i just readjust and go.

Also it doesn't matter how tall you are you should be able to squat your own weight, I'm 6 foot and i still manage to do over 250% my bodyweight. My deadlifts better than my squat cause im tall, yeah, but its not liky my deadlift is 1000 and my squat is 100 pounds and i use a tampon on the bar

Originally Posted by iPwNy View Post
    .. I'm 6'0'' 165 and do 445 parallel..
    how much do you deadlift?

Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by im2manly View Post
    how much do you deadlift?
    rofl. he probably does it on the smith machine. i would have to see a vid.

iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iPwNy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Delgadido View Post
    rofl. he probably does it on the smith machine. i would have to see a vid.
    I deadlift 525, albeit with chalk

and no not smith machine, I'm jsut making a point once you get used to the bar it doesn't matter how much weight you put on but you can't put on tonnes of weight with the pad because it ruins the movement

I deadlift 525, albeit with chalk

and no not smith machine, I'm jsut making a point once you get used to the bar it doesn't matter how much weight you put on but you can't put on tonnes of weight with the pad because it ruins the movement
    i still wanna see a vid. cant make claims u can lift 2x over bodyweight(not saying its rare) without a vid

JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JeremyHendo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    WOW... do not listen to 99 percent of forum posters...your legs have NO IDEA that you have a pad on your shoulders..if it helps you and you can get another rep or two by using a shoulder pad then do it

Originally Posted by Delgadido View Post
    i still wanna see a vid. cant make claims u can lift 2x over bodyweight(not saying its rare) without a vid
    lol well you're not gonna get a vid, thankfully it's not relevant to the original question.

As to whoever above said your legs dont know theres a pad on your shoulders... For one, your brain controls your legs and your back, so the same thing controlling your legs does know.

Let's pretend that's not true though, you dont only use your legs in a squat, common sense isn't so common.

Where's my flip flops ? jayluk4600's Avatar
    jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do not nor have I ever used the pad when squatting. My son who is 15 trains too and I will not allow him to use the pad.

But if you feel the pad helps you have a better squat workout then more power to you. It's your time in the gym use it how you want to. Dont let others push you into doing what they think is manly.

Now that being said I would work towards not relying on it. For the reasons that pertain to the nature of the lift and the danger of a pad that can move on you. Not for the reasons that if you use it you will suddenly turn into superpuss the fairy squat machine.

gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gkicksass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
    He's 6'7, He probably has to move the weight 4 fking feet, Guys that big ARE NOT GOOD AT SQUATTING due to their body mechanics for the most part!
    no doubt squatting is harder when youre tall but honestly its 180 freakin ponds and hes complaining about having to use a pad. i dont care how much he squats. the fact that he squats at all(assuming he goes to at least parallel) sets him a tier above most gym goers. but that having that much weight on your back in a low bar squat position should cause absolutely no pain or discomfort if you are doing it right. im squatting twice as much as that and i dont feel anything.

Unless you have some spinal injury and a professional or doctor told you to use the pad, then I'd say learn to squat correctly, place the bar correctly etc so there's no pain. Obviously if it is your first month of ever working out, or from a long break, there's gonna be some natural discomfort. But you have to get used to it, and enjoy it, let it fuel you. Just like a burn from doing an exercise, say if you're training explosive, or plyo or something. You get angry that it hurts LET THE ANGER FUEL LET THE ANGER LIFT THE WEIGHT, EMBRACE THE PAIN. don't put a tampon on the bar.

I just squatted shirtless and did jump squats with lightweight to get used to it. my back was sore for a day and slightly bruised, never felt pain again.. I'm 6'0'' 165 and do 445 parallel.. there's no pain or discomfrot, sometimes ill get it on the wrong spot and i feel pressure but then i just readjust and go.

Also it doesn't matter how tall you are you should be able to squat your own weight, I'm 6 foot and i still manage to do over 250% my bodyweight. My deadlifts better than my squat cause im tall, yeah, but its not liky my deadlift is 1000 and my squat is 100 pounds and i use a tampon on the bar
    uh huh. 6 feet, 165lbs, and you squat 445. unless all 165 lbs of your bodyweight is in your legs no one is gonna believe for a second that you squat that much. please gtfo.

edit: and its not a matter of manning the fuk up and taking the pain. its a matter of doing the exercise correctly so that there is no pain except where it should be.
    Last edited by gkicksass; 07-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Look, it has nothing to do with the bar hurting your back (which I think is still a ****ing stupid reason to use a pad); it's about the squat itself. Using a pad is dangerous as the weight gets heavy. That's all their is to it.

You'd think people concerned about a little bruise across their back would be more concerned with hundreds of pounds crushing their necks, but I guess not.

darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had always not used the pad because when I started in the beginning the pad distracted me from the most important part of the squat setup...BAR POSITIONING.

If the OP and all the other vaginas would just take a second and try to learn to do the exercise correctly, they would find the bar puts no pressure on their pencil thin necks.

The bar sits on the traps OR on the rear deltoids...not on your FUDGING NECKS YOU VAGINAS.
    I suppose people that squat with pads are also the ones who do mini squats, knees past toes, look at the floor, squat in running shoes, and use thumbed grips.

The bunch of manginas in this thread...astounding.