Closed Thread
Page 12 of 336 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast
    sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    stupid question - how do you guys pick up strumming patterns by ear?
    I can always get close, but nothing I play sounds right.

(frame of reference - beginner and I suck)

Trying to play "easier" songs like EpiphanyEverything Changes by Staind or Hate Me by Blue October.

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sonvolt View Post
    stupid question - how do you guys pick up strumming patterns by ear?
    I can always get close, but nothing I play sounds right.

(frame of reference - beginner and I suck)

Trying to play "easier" songs like EpiphanyEverything Changes by Staind or Hate Me by Blue October.
    Play along with the song and make sure your tuning is spot on. Both songs you list have nuances (sp?) to them. Staind uses baritone guitar and Blue October uses layered tracks with multiple tunings.

Everything changes is really easy though and there are some good tabs for it.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...hanges_crd.htm

I approach songs like this:

1) listen to it several times
    2) try to imagine what the guy is doing; maybe watch the live video
    3) Break the song into parts and learn the parts one by one
    4) learn the chord changes cold... Practice until its second nature
    5) Play along with the song until its perfect
    6) have fun!!!
    Semper Fi

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50) sonvolt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mindripper View Post
    Play along with the song and make sure your tuning is spot on. Both songs you list have nuances (sp?) to them. Staind uses baritone guitar and Blue October uses layered tracks with multiple tunings.

Everything changes is really easy though and there are some good tabs for it.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...hanges_crd.htm

I approach songs like this:

1) listen to it several times
    2) try to imagine what the guy is doing; maybe watch the live video
    3) Break the song into parts and learn the parts one by one
    4) learn the chord changes cold... Practice until its second nature
    5) Play along with the song until its perfect
    6) have fun!!!

thanks, I look on ultimate guitar alot.
    I have been looking on youtube for guitar videos, there are some good Staind videos.
    I think it's my up-strum, i don't do it smooth or something so it sounds bad.

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sonvolt View Post
    thanks, I look on ultimate guitar alot.
    I have been looking on youtube for guitar videos, there are some good Staind videos.
    I think it's my up-strum, i don't do it smooth or something so it sounds bad.
    Make sure your pick attack is consistent. U D U D... Worry about fretting the chord and getting a clean, precise sound and then worry about speed etc.
    Semper Fi

JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) JBrabble will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    awesome thread. But yeah as far as good tab sites go, forget ultimate-guitar.com and check out guitartab.com, also avoid fretplay
    US Army 13F FIST

"A mans character is his fate."

"The purpose of government is to protect the secrecy and privacy of all individuals, not the secrecy of the government" - Ron Paul
    www.Campaignforliberty.com

marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marblehead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JBrabble View Post
    awesome thread. But yeah as far as good tab sites go, forget ultimate-guitar.com and check out guitartab.com, also avoid fretplay
    for tabs
    911tabs.com
    owns all
    Brothers of Metal Crew

Steelers

Strip Mining prevents Forest Fires
    UMWA

New Gear

Just picked up a C-1 Hellraiser and a Pocket POD. Needless to say I played for 7 hours on Saturday and 8 hours yesterday. I love how a new guitar can renew your practive vigor.

I will post some pics when I get a minute.
    Semper Fi

Fun lesson from Paul Gilbert

EDIT - Good lesson

Last edited by Mindripper; 10-01-2007 at 06:47 AM.
    Semper Fi

Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000)

Fingerpicks vs Nails

Ive been using nails but i had been finding it very hard to get volume with the thumb especially the 6th string (i play acoustic) so i picked up a set of propik fingertones, they are not bad i could get used to them but nails are definately better. I cannot use the thum pik though because im finding it sticks out too much so im gonna pick up a smaller one. Right now i think im leaning towards using a thumbpick and nails on 1, 2 and 3 as a good option.

What do you guys use ?
    ☆☆☆
    Juventus F.C.

Sua Maestà
    La Regina
    Imperatrice

Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JBrabble View Post
    haha damn. I've been using fret play as my favourite.

Whats wrong with it?

Originally Posted by Vaper View Post
    Ive been using nails but i had been finding it very hard to get volume with the thumb especially the 6th string (i play acoustic) so i picked up a set of propik fingertones, they are not bad i could get used to them but nails are definately better. I cannot use the thum pik though because im finding it sticks out too much so im gonna pick up a smaller one. Right now i think im leaning towards using a thumbpick and nails on 1, and 3 as a good option.

What do you guys use ?
    This options works good for me. I've been playing just acoustic for a few years; now that I have a new electric I see my acoustic chops getting a bit rusty.
    Semper Fi

Originally Posted by Aussie_James View Post
    haha damn. I've been using fret play as my favourite.

Whats wrong with it?
    Nothing is wrong with it if you find it useful. Fuk what anyone thinks if it works for you.

I've been using Guitar Pro and a huge archive of pro files I've found for songs. I use www.myguitarsolo.com for warmup and chop building.
    Semper Fi

Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000) Vaper is just really nice. (+1000)
    This options works good for me. I've been playing just acoustic for a few years; now that I have a new electric I see my acoustic chops getting a bit rusty.
    No doubt, if i had a hellraiser mine would get a little dusty 2 . So you use 3 fingers only for fingerpicking ?
    ☆☆☆
    Juventus F.C.

Sua Maestà
    La Regina
    Imperatrice

Originally Posted by Vaper View Post
    No doubt, if i had a hellraiser mine would get a little dusty 2 . So you use 3 fingers only for fingerpicking ?
    Hellraiser is a fun guitar. I have the pocket POD as well but am seriously thinking about stepping up to the Boss GT-8. Need more options.

3 fingers and a thumb. Sometimes use a pick combined with some finger picking as well.
    Semper Fi

captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    speed = emotion
    Excuse me, your seatbelt seems to be broken. What do you recommend I do?

Originally Posted by captainhorseboy View Post
    speed = emotion
    Speed combined with laser procision and feel = teh ****.

You try that Kiss of Death solo yet? I have the song down cold and part of the solo. Lynch is fukin insane to copy note for note though...
    Last edited by Mindripper; 10-03-2007 at 07:59 AM.
    Semper Fi

robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000) robogain is a name known to all. (+5000)
    sick thread
    ♦ Bay Area Crew ♦

captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Speed combined with laser procision and feel = teh ****.

You try that Kiss of Death solo yet? I have the song down cold and part of the solo. Lynch is fukin insane to copy note for note though...
    i've been working on it randomly

i dont like to "practice"

i just kinda jam out for fun until i have something down

if i end up feeling good about it i'll make a vid

i've been working on it randomly

i dont like to "practice"

i just kinda jam out for fun until i have something down

if i end up feeling good about it i'll make a vid
    I am a student of whatever works; if that works for you as it certainly shows that it does than awesome.

I was a hacker for many years now I am really regimented. I find that it helps me avoid playing the same recycled licks over and over again. Right now I am just throughly enjoying playing metal again.
    Semper Fi

Registered User user1264821321544's Avatar
    user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user1264821321544 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey guys recommend me the first 5 songs that you guys learned, because I'm a beginner and would appreciate it alot !!
    Thx

fitness intelligentsia ACslatering's Avatar
    ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ACslatering is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by -Will- View Post
    Hey guys recommend me the first 5 songs that you guys learned, because I'm a beginner and would appreciate it alot !!
    Thx
    the stuff i learnt from years back is ages old and isn't so 'hip and happeneing' now-a-days

it was mostly alot of oasis and nirvana
    1) come as you are - nirvana
    2) enter sandman intro - metallica
    3) one intro - metallica
    4) oasis - wonderwall
    5) oasis - don't look back in anger

- but honestly learn stuff like chilli peppers, metallica, nirvana - learn easy licks that sound good - don't go for speed but just getting the notes and the rough sound down - then practice the hell out of it.
    Anna spelt backwards is Anna. Coincidence? I think NOT! - EclipseTT

Hellraiser is a fun guitar. I have the pocket POD as well but am seriously thinking about stepping up to the Boss GT-8. Need more options.

3 fingers and a thumb. Sometimes use a pick combined with some finger picking as well.
    Well Gents just traded my Pocket POD for the GT-8... All I can say is wow; I must have been f*cking nuts to accept such a limited effects option. I played the XT Live, Tonelab and the Boss GT-8... GT-8 sounded awesome and I had an older Boss so the controls were very familair.

Now off to play for 12 hours while watching football.

Now I just need two or three more guitars.
    Semper Fi

Originally Posted by -Will- View Post
    Thx

You need to play in the syle that you like... If you want to play something from your favorite bands etc you will A) no what it sounds like and B) want to learn accurately.

What are some of your favorite artists and I will make 'easy' recommendations based on that.
    Semper Fi

BestThingSinceWrestling MusclesMalone's Avatar
    MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey guys im about three months deep into my guitar learnin. its an awesome time, anywho i was lookin for some fingerpicking songs. any suggestions would be great. i feel like im making some good progress, but id like to know a couple more fingerpicked tunes.
    clean and jerk

Originally Posted by MusclesMalone View Post
    hey guys im about three months deep into my guitar learnin. its an awesome time, anywho i was lookin for some fingerpicking songs. any suggestions would be great. i feel like im making some good progress, but id like to know a couple more fingerpicked tunes.
    Beatles - Blackbird
    Tesla - Love Song
    Randy Rhoads - Dee
    Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (tab is in the thread), Stairway to Heaven
    Dire Straits - Romeo And Juliet
    Mark Knopfler - In The Heartland, Just Instinct
    Semper Fi

the song that made me want to play guitar was "Play With Me" by Extreme. I heard it in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure when I was like 6 and they were running around the mall and always had that part in my head.

the song that made me want to play guitar was "Play With Me" by Extreme. I heard it in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure when I was like 6 and they were running around the mall and always had that part in my head.
    Crazy Train... Played by my cousin; I was like WOW! I have to do that.
    Semper Fi

Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500)
    The only tips I have are probably the ones you already know.

1) Change strings one @ a time.
    I heard this was a myth. What is the consensus on this now everyone?
    "People have too much to do, too many people to meet, to shed a tear for somebody who wants to give up." -The Experiment

Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500) Hesh is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by PaHulkster View Post
    Probably 4-5 if you really take the time to practice and imrpove. 3-4 if you take lessons from me haha.
    You give lessons now? I've been thinking about getting into that myself. How is it as a profession?
    "People have too much to do, too many people to meet, to shed a tear for somebody who wants to give up." -The Experiment

Cool

Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
    I heard this was a myth. What is the consensus on this now everyone?
    The intention of my post was illustrate a process for dealing with a floyd. Its certainly not a myth that it helps everything stay organized and keeps the bridge floating. Whether it has any bearing on intonation or other tension based properties of the guitar; I have no f*cking idea; its just my process.
    Semper Fi

Closed Thread