Page 81 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81
Results 2,401 to 2,413 of 2413
    Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by B-Neva View Post
    best mafia-esque accent!!!!
    bada bing eh?
    Originally Posted by bwelch1985 View Post
    What do you suspect is the culprit behind the "redistribution" of mass this season? Did you prioritize legs and chest at the expense of back and arms throughout your offseason or during prep?
    To be perfectly honest I think specific bodyparts are more prone to loss of mass on different folks during prep, and I think it has to do with where they flatten out, as prolonged low glycogen levels increase usage of amino acids as fuels, and I also think different training variables affect different body parts differently...so its hard to tease out...but I think the HIT style training I did with Jeff was bad mojo for my upper body, I got weaker up top, and stronger on the bottom there. And that was right before I started prep. I also think that the 3 4-5 week mini cuts I did every other month from april to october probbably didn't help...again...don't need to get to 220 lol, and lastly, I think low carb diets work for me but I have to be careful with them....and I think I'm going to keep in the bcaa between meal dosings next time I diet
    Originally Posted by bballbrett5 View Post
    Would love more tips or best practices on two things you just mentioned: 1) Being motivated for an additional 6 weeks after already earning a pro card and most likely being pretty run-down after having dieted for so long 2) not being tempted with food even when it becomes such a great focus
    to be perfectly honest I am not run down from dieting and I am plenty motivated, and I'm not that tempted by food to where I'm worried AT ALL about losing focus. This has everything to do with feeling like I accomplished a catharsis related to grieving for my father and its kind of throwing me for an emotional loop....the dieting and training has really not been bad at all.
    My advice there is diet intelligently, stay on macros and "live the lifestyle" (whatever that means for you with a focus on BALANCE and being happy) in the offseason, and diet slow and don't rush the fat loss. I got shredded this year at the pace my body let me, and the offseason was just like the onseason, except onseason my numbers came down and cardio went up and volume of training fluctuated more.
    Originally Posted by toddbz View Post
    So if you stay shredded on the current macros but your weight doesn't come down you'll still lower carbs?

Although you commented on what your daily diet is going to be like. You kind of skipped over what you guys are thinking of for 'new' peak/show day macros.
    Unless it's hush hush so someone doesn't put sugar in your gas tank. No homo
    I already posted what the new peak would be, even gave two options dude

oh and Todd if you can spot the gain of 6oz of bodyfat distributed over a 6 foot frame I'll give you a million dollars...by the time I can actually see the fat gain its a problem, I don't feel like making another 5 weeks of dieting harder on myself....the goal of a 2 week diet break is a mental break, metabolic rehab, put back on some muscle, gain minimal fat and set up the next phase of dieting: 1 step backward, 2-3 steps forward...I'd prefer not to take 2 steps backward to then have to kill myself to go 3 steps forward

foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Intersting points you make on the training there Eric. I'm with you on balls to the wall failure not being optimal for my upper body at least. It's not a mindset thing as you have to give it your all for failure - but I just keep getting weaker on that sort of set up.

On the low carb thing, it's probably also a lifestyle factor as well as something that agree's with your body. Again, we can use Bert in this instance. Guy is dieting right now @ high 150's on what 3400kcal. Most people at that weight would get fat on those calories. His activity/whatever he does during the day is essentially just churning through the carbzorz. You haven't reported having high kcal requirements and all the academic work you do cannot be generating much in the way of NEAT, thus your body doesn't actually 'need' the carbs like his. Sometimes people get a little too fixated on how many carbs they 'can' fit in. I think you'll do great things working with a cycling approach to them come offseason. Even applying principles of UD 2.0 you can start to see little intricacies of such a plan. Does take some diligence on the complicated/nitpicky stuff like sticking to a true or close to true UD 2.0, and some people might not be able to/want to stick to such low carbs on some days. Again, where you talk about balance is good. A simple carb cycling approach could still be used and utilised for the proposed UD 2.0-esque benefits.

With BCAA's; to be honest, your protein intake in general was NOT high. 220 most of the time right? even in the face of low cals/carbs. Taking 175lbs that's only 1.25g/lb.
    On prep, low cals/carbs, low bf% and for a guy who says he has a harder time losing bf, that's a touch low don't you think?
    I've seen Lyle throw out 3.3g/kg for athletes and that's not dieting. For you that translates to like 265g protein. Or the old 1.5g/lb (260g)

Blade's recommendation for protein for those dieting who don't churn through carbs like madmen is 3.5-4g/kg. For you, 275-320g. Higher end obviously as one gets leaner and further under their setpoint making it harder to maintain.

...just a thought there.

Anyway, it's null void now - you got the pro card Congrats again buddy.
    For the offseason, now more 200+ weigh ins?

Enjoy the diet break.

Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by foodpr0n View Post
    Intersting points you make on the training there Eric. I'm with you on balls to the wall failure not being optimal for my upper body at least. It's not a mindset thing as you have to give it your all for failure - but I just keep getting weaker on that sort of set up.

On the low carb thing, it's probably also a lifestyle factor as well as something that agree's with your body. Again, we can use Bert in this instance. Guy is dieting right now @ high 150's on what 3400kcal. Most people at that weight would get fat on those calories. His activity/whatever he does during the day is essentially just churning through the carbzorz. You haven't reported having high kcal requirements and all the academic work you do cannot be generating much in the way of NEAT, thus your body doesn't actually 'need' the carbs like his. Sometimes people get a little too fixated on how many carbs they 'can' fit in. I think you'll do great things working with a cycling approach to them come offseason. Even applying principles of UD 2.0 you can start to see little intricacies of such a plan. Does take some diligence on the complicated/nitpicky stuff like sticking to a true or close to true UD 2.0, and some people might not be able to/want to stick to such low carbs on some days. Again, where you talk about balance is good. A simple carb cycling approach could still be used and utilised for the proposed UD 2.0-esque benefits.

With BCAA's; to be honest, your protein intake in general was NOT high. 220 most of the time right? even in the face of low cals/carbs. Taking 175lbs that's only 1.25g/lb.
    On prep, low cals/carbs, low bf% and for a guy who says he has a harder time losing bf, that's a touch low don't you think?
    I've seen Lyle throw out 3.3g/kg for athletes and that's not dieting. For you that translates to like 265g protein. Or the old 1.5g/lb (260g)

Blade's recommendation for protein for those dieting who don't churn through carbs like madmen is 3.5-4g/kg. For you, 275-320g. Higher end obviously as one gets leaner and further under their setpoint making it harder to maintain.

...just a thought there.

Anyway, it's null void now - you got the pro card Congrats again buddy.
    For the offseason, now more 200+ weigh ins?

Enjoy the diet break.
    All really solid points, and my protein was 250 for the majority of my diet, and then we cut it to 220 for the last push, that being said in 09 my protein was at 265-275 for the entire diet until the last 2 months where it went to 225 I think, and the end phase was also where I lost some size...it was also when I stopped doing bcaa between meals...however, my sources are really high quality, but hey I think I will experiment with higher protein next time I diet down. I'll be doing my Masters thesis on this anyhow so hopefully I'll find some stuff out

August 19th Day 217

Intro

Weight dropped a hair down to 177.2, but still up from the 176.8 I was maintaining for 3 days post show...so Berto wants to go one more day at 300g of carbs, if it doesn't dip back down he's thinking of tapering my carbs down. I'm kinda perpetually spilled over at this point so it's tough to say what my bodyfat is doing, but I certainly feel less lean. But, that's okay, a little backsliding in conditioning for the greater good is not a huge issue, we just don't want too much. Had a good leg workout today, but man my strength is meh...its definitely just in the last 3 weeks or so gotten very hit or miss. Focused on getting in some good volume on squats and then just some fast (well they were supposed to be lol) triples with decently heavy load for lower volume on deads.
    Energy levels were good today, at work me and two other coworkers were messing around doing some olympic lifts, and I got some extra arm work in, and we also looked at my physique and decided the main thing I need to work on is lat width. So they set me up with a pull up program that is going to be pretty bad ass, we talked about the biomechanics of the pull up and how if you have handles that allow rotation your body will naturally put you in a ROM and pattern that recruits the lats nicely, anyways, more on that when I actually start the offseason in October. So yeah, at work I got in 3 sets of bis tris, a bunch of full cleans and a snatch or two and even a set of bench for fun lol, with like 145 nothing heavy.

Nutrition

50/300/220

Training

Lower Strength (warm ups excluded)

A1 Squats
    365 x 3
    345 x 3
    335 x 3 (5 sets)

B1 Sumo Deadlifts
    405 x 3 (3 sets)

B2 Calf Raise
    290 x 7 (3 sets)

Messing Around at Work

Bench 145 x 12

Full Cleans 60kg x 3 (3 sets?)

DB Bicep Curls, both arms simultaneous
    35's x 10, 10, 8

DB Skullcrushers
    35's x 8, 8, 7

40kg Muscle Snatch, once lol

Debrief

Jeff and Paul Alberts on the same stage tomorrow with Luis Stoner at the NPC Modesto show I can't wait!

http://www.microgiving.com/profile/erichelms

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Quelly View Post
    All really solid points, and my protein was 250 for the majority of my diet, and then we cut it to 220 for the last push, that being said in 09 my protein was at 265-275 for the entire diet until the last 2 months where it went to 225 I think, and the end phase was also where I lost some size...it was also when I stopped doing bcaa between meals...however, my sources are really high quality, but hey I think I will experiment with higher protein next time I diet down. I'll be doing my Masters thesis on this anyhow so hopefully I'll find some stuff out
    Got your text and totally agree on next time keeping you up there, on the higher end. Recall the talk we had when I decided to up my protein intake some. Which personally I feel has really helped this time around, specially as I dig for these last few oz :P
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

Originally Posted by FATHER FLEX View Post
    Got your text and totally agree on next time keeping you up there, on the higher end. Recall the talk we had when I decided to up my protein intake some. Which personally I feel has really helped this time around, specially as I dig for these last few oz :P
    That's what I love about my squad, learn, adapt improve!

Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mschaid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by foodpr0n View Post
    Inte
    On the low carb thing, it's probably also a lifestyle factor as well as something that agree's with your body. Again, we can use Bert in this instance. Guy is dieting right now @ high 150's on what 3400kcal. Most people at that weight would get fat on those calories. His activity/whatever he does during the day is essentially just churning through the carbzorz..
    Just wanted to point out that Im not so convinced NEAT does THAT much in terms of metabolism and carb requirements. Im a full time student and currently on summer break. Im really not THAT active, although some days get ridiculous, most days im sitting most of the day. Im currently 7 weeks outs at 160, started my diet in may, and the guys just had to drop my carbs below 400/day to 375. Although my protein and fat and muscle mass is lower the say albertos, Its still very individual and I think keeping them as high as YOU can should be a priority for anti-catabolic and performance reasons. Just to be clear, Im not saying that if I worked an overly active job and had a much higher activity level that Id be on the same diet, obviously it would be higher... Just my 2 cents
    Only the beginning...

toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I already posted what the new peak would be, even gave two options dude

oh and Todd if you can spot the gain of 6oz of bodyfat distributed over a 6 foot frame I'll give you a million dollars...by the time I can actually see the fat gain its a problem, I don't feel like making another 5 weeks of dieting harder on myself....the goal of a 2 week diet break is a mental break, metabolic rehab, put back on some muscle, gain minimal fat and set up the next phase of dieting: 1 step backward, 2-3 steps forward...I'd prefer not to take 2 steps backward to then have to kill myself to go 3 steps forward
    If you'd give me a million dollars if I could see it, does that mean you'd give judges the same?
    I mean actual FAT gain here and the "stay shredded" dealio

But it's a moot point anyhow
    www.3DMUSCLEJOURNEY.COM

My sport is your sports punishment

Tricks are something whores do for money...or candy.

Team BK

Training journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=148831101

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mschaid View Post
    Just wanted to point out that Im not so convinced NEAT does THAT much in terms of metabolism and carb requirements. Im a full time student and currently on summer break. Im really not THAT active, although some days get ridiculous, most days im sitting most of the day. Im currently 7 weeks outs at 160, started my diet in may, and the guys just had to drop my carbs below 400/day to 375. Although my protein and fat and muscle mass is lower the say albertos, Its still very individual and I think keeping them as high as YOU can should be a priority for anti-catabolic and performance reasons. Just to be clear, Im not saying that if I worked an overly active job and had a much higher activity level that Id be on the same diet, obviously it would be higher... Just my 2 cents
    Yeah something don't make sense, but NEAT does go a long way. I find the more I sit down and I will go through streaks were I have 8 hour desk days, the twitchier I get. Its a subconscious thing, and if other people didn't point it out to me I would have never noticed. I don't ever really get into that Eeyore the donkey mode when dieting, but most people do, but they just don't realize it. So NEAT will basicaly come from two things that we do outside the gym. The physical activity we outside of training we partake in, for example if you are a mailman, and the other stuff we do without realizing. Hence I am sitting here typing this acting like music is playing, but there really isn't.
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

Nati Men's Physique Pro matt17roc's Avatar
    matt17roc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Intro

Hit a big new low today, 180.6, and its only tuesday I guess I was waiting on a whoosh since the last couple weeks the scale only budged a bit...so yeah, still on track! I've starting splitting up my cardio into 2 daily sessions and paying more attention to using stubborn fat protocols as really 60% of my bodyfat (not exaggerating) is on my quads right now. And on the cyclical keto diet the more intense SFP are a no go, especially if I'm going to start running sheiko workouts on thu/sat...which I am lol
    So, LISS/MISS in the morning and at night with a healthy dose of Y will be my 2 a day prescription on sun-wed, and then just the morning session on thursday. Friday/Saturday is off from cardio. Can't wait to see the quads start coming in!
    Today was tough in the gym, lethargy was high, but the weight didn't feel too crazy heavy, but man getting through hacks is TOUGH.

Nutrition

50/75/250

Training

Weights: Lower Depletion/Hypertrophy (warm ups excluded)

Hack Squats
    4pps x 12

Weighted Hyperextensions
    +25lbs x 15 (3 sets)

Leg Extensions
    240 x 15
    200 x 17

Ham Curls
    115 x 12
    95 x 13

Calf Raises
    210 x 20
    205 x 20
    200 x 20

Occluded Ham Curls 4 sets
    Occluded Leg Extensions 4 sets

Debrief

oh yeah I did occluded arms yesterday too, just forgot to note it

Eric were you taking any bcaa's before the morning MISS/LISS? I've noticed that Brad mentions in his newest log that the 3DMJ stubborn fat protocol includes 5g bcaa with the yohimbine and caffeine 30 mins prior to morning cardio. I wasn't sure if this is something you guys have changed since this journal.

B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B-Neva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by matt17roc View Post
    Eric were you taking any bcaa's before the morning MISS/LISS? I've noticed that Brad mentions in his newest log that the 3DMJ stubborn fat protocol includes 5g bcaa with the yohimbine and caffeine 30 mins prior to morning cardio. I wasn't sure if this is something you guys have changed since this journal.
    strong bump lol
    Workout Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113026551

"If you don't climb the mountain, you can't see the view"

Nati Men's Physique Pro matt17roc's Avatar
    matt17roc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Intro

Hit a big new low today, 180.6, and its only tuesday I guess I was waiting on a whoosh since the last couple weeks the scale only budged a bit...so yeah, still on track! I've starting splitting up my cardio into 2 daily sessions and paying more attention to using stubborn fat protocols as really 60% of my bodyfat (not exaggerating) is on my quads right now. And on the cyclical keto diet the more intense SFP are a no go, especially if I'm going to start running sheiko workouts on thu/sat...which I am lol
    So, LISS/MISS in the morning and at night with a healthy dose of Y will be my 2 a day prescription on sun-wed, and then just the morning session on thursday. Friday/Saturday is off from cardio. Can't wait to see the quads start coming in!
    Today was tough in the gym, lethargy was high, but the weight didn't feel too crazy heavy, but man getting through hacks is TOUGH.

Nutrition

50/75/250

Training

Weights: Lower Depletion/Hypertrophy (warm ups excluded)

Hack Squats
    4pps x 12

Weighted Hyperextensions
    +25lbs x 15 (3 sets)

Leg Extensions
    240 x 15
    200 x 17

Ham Curls
    115 x 12
    95 x 13

Calf Raises
    210 x 20
    205 x 20
    200 x 20

Occluded Ham Curls 4 sets
    Occluded Leg Extensions 4 sets

Debrief

oh yeah I did occluded arms yesterday too, just forgot to note it
    Originally Posted by B-Neva View Post
    strong bump lol
    hahah so random right? I have most of the 3DMJ contest prep journals as well as Sporto's and Cliff Wilson's bookmarked on my work PC so if I ever get bored I'll randomly read through them lol