Thread: Pumping Up

Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blahzay128 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pumping Up

Ok....so I've seen people doing soooo many things to pump up backstage.

I've competed a couple of times and was never really able to get a great pump before stepping on stage. Not sure why! I'm considering a little work with a band...then just posing hard before getting on stage.

What do most of you guys do? How long do you pump up for?

I'm competing next weekend...so I'm trying to go in there with a plan in place.

Thanks,

G
    "Sell yourself short on nutrition and you're selling yourself short on maximizing your physique development." -Ernie Taylor

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." -Vincent T. Lombardi

rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    in for this

Self proclaimed sorcerer Bnizzle163's Avatar
    Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had the same problem with this (only competed once so far) but I think it was more a problem of not having enough carbohydrates and sodium in my system.

I did push ups, light rows, laterals and just posing... I'm curious to see what most other guys do as well.
    *Professional comic book geek* *semi-pro cartoon collector* *full time nerd*

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166076501

Contact me for coaching/contest prep/nutritional services: WRyan163@yahoo.com

IG: @Bnizzle163

Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Add carbs, fat, sodium slowly and constantly while you're back stage. Work in a nice 20mins of pump up before getting in line to go out. So time it right. If you get in enough of that kind of food then you should be able to hold a good pump for the duration that you're on stage.

Carbs fill you out
    Sodium helps absorb the carbs and holds a pump
    Fats help make you vascular

Leave the protein at home that day!
    My $0.02 is worth $0.03

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everyone backstage including myself used our normal Pre WO supplement as well, I pumped up very well for the pre judging but not as well for the night show.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetCarved will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I actually like resistance bands for pumping up, I use those for side laterals/curls, do some rows, push ups, and then hit the stage. Its all about timing, find out when you are going on and start about 10-15 minutes before you go on. Really move and get that pump going, you'll know if you time it right. That works for me, experience is the best teacher.
    Jay Scott NPC National Level Bodybuilder - Nutrition/Prep Coach

"Get knocked down seven times - get up eight" - Chinese Proverb

www.getcarved.com - The Ultimate Online Fitness Membership Site

OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10) OnTheRoad is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    why not leave your sodium, carbs and water in your diet right up to comp day and use comp day as another 'normal' day???

No questions on what your body is going to do, it will do the same as the night/week before.

I competed all last year, had the same problem of no pump onstage and massive rebounds. I was taking a massive chance each time I stepped onstage.

This year I was ready 4 weeks out, changed nothing at all, dropped my water a little (so I didn't need to go to the toilet at the wrong time), put on a bikini and tan. I had no cramping...a great pump and the knowledge of exactly what my body looked and how how it was going to act. It was a fantastic experience!

I have done exactly as above 3 times this year.....
    Natural Figure Champion

Sponsored by

www.assassinnutrition.com.au

www.activewearonline.com.au

www.pke.com.au

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bnizzle163 View Post
    I had the same problem with this (only competed once so far) but I think it was more a problem of not having enough carbohydrates and sodium in my system.

I did push ups, light rows, laterals and just posing... I'm curious to see what most other guys do as well.
    Yes, its most likely a diet or water issue.

Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
    Everyone backstage including myself used our normal Pre WO supplement as well, I pumped up very well for the pre judging but not as well for the night show.
    Yes, if you have pre-workout that you use normally that gets you pumped and vascular.....I used vasocharge at a couple of shows and I liked that beta-alanine effect prior to stage.

Originally Posted by OnTheRoad View Post
    why not leave your sodium, carbs and water in your diet right up to comp day and use comp day as another 'normal' day???

No questions on what your body is going to do, it will do the same as the night/week before.

I competed all last year, had the same problem of no pump onstage and massive rebounds. I was taking a massive chance each time I stepped onstage.

This year I was ready 4 weeks out, changed nothing at all, dropped my water a little (so I didn't need to go to the toilet at the wrong time), put on a bikini and tan. I had no cramping...a great pump and the knowledge of exactly what my body looked and how how it was going to act. It was a fantastic experience!

The only problem with this is that most people are not eating into a show.....most people are still very depleted in the final weeks of contest prep (myself included as of last year). So, a carb load is really necessary in order to come in hard and vascular. Your approach is very conservative and thats good.....you know there isnt much chance to screw up. And please dont be offended when I tell you that a figure competitor has less to worry about in this area because they arent looking to come in shredded, hard and veins popping everywhere, so its a bit of a different story. For a bb'er loading properly on carbs and a little sodium and fat bump just prior to stage really can do wonders for your ability to pump and come in looking noticeably better.

Originally Posted by Barn01 View Post
    Add carbs, fat, sodium slowly and constantly while you're back stage. Work in a nice 20mins of pump up before getting in line to go out. So time it right. If you get in enough of that kind of food then you should be able to hold a good pump for the duration that you're on stage.
    Yes^......my only exception is that I nibble on chicken as well probably because I feel like I "cant go a day without protein or my muscles will fall off".
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete

simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by OnTheRoad View Post

Very good advice....unfortunately, most are not in proper shape to begin with and are looking for that "magic" protocol that will get them stage ready in the last week. I am like you....be ready early and cruise into the contest changing as little as possible.
    Athletic Xtreme Sponsored Athlete-TEAM AX
    Quest Protein Bar Athlete
    Nutrient Sciences/Kymera Energy Rep
    2012 Team Universe MW Champion
    Member Team USA 2012 IFBB Worlds-Ecuador