Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000)

A thankyou to BodyBuilding MythBusters

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Throughout my fitness journey I have come across many practices which heralded the "tried and true" attribute. However, there are 3 of these practices in particular which seem to be not entirely accurate. Let this be a big thankyou to those who are helping to set the record straight.

I have listed what I would consider to be the three biggest myths that I used to buy into whole heartedly. I would like to see if anyone out there can either confirm the "busted" status of these myths or reinforce their accuracy. I would ask that contributors limit the use of anecdotal evidence or personal testimony (aka "bro-science") when backing-up their claims.

In addition to listing the myths I've encountered, I've also listed the resource or individual who is responsible for busting this myth for me in my personal journey. I'm not saying they are the most prevalent myth-busting champions. Nor am I saying they are the least. I'm simply saying that, for me, they are the ones responsible for setting the record straight.

1. 6 meals a day is better than 2 or 3.
    I will agree with anyone who states that 6 meals a day is an effective practice. However, I would argue that meal frequency is located behind caloric intake in the list of priorities.
    Credit to Martin Berkhan: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3587831
    Also to wave_length and his 3 rules: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113693871

2. Carbs before bed makes you fat.
    For clarification: Consuming excessive calories can lead to gaining fat, regardless of the type of calorie. That being said, I would also argue that carbohydrates may be the least important macro-nutrient. By that I mean you can fluctuate in your carbohydrate intake and still achieve your goals. If however you consume too few essential fatty acids, or if you consume too little protein, then you?ll have a harder time achieving your goals.
    For busting this myth I would have to give credit to the entire Nutrition forum.

3. Fasted cardio is more effective than fed cardio for body composition improvement.
    Does fasted cardio work? Yes. Is it a fantastic tool for losing fat mass? Yes. Is it optimal for both retaining muscle mass while simultaneously losing fat mass. It seems that it's not necessarily optimal.
    Credit to Alan Aragon: http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-unde...ed-cardio.html

Anyone please feel free to chime in
    For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me STRENGTH (Philippians 4:13)

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

A thankyou to BodyBuilding MythBusters:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121116421

Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's taken me a while, certainly, but I've come to those same conclusions myself. And I've had my best results thereafter. I don't stress about eating after the sun goes down, nor do I worry about eating constantly. Similarly, I couldn't imagine starting a day without breakfast now. Fasting did nothing for me, other than cause nausea. So yes, I'd say that these are valuable, common sense, things that people ought to have in mind.

mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000) mneugeba is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Beech27 View Post
    It's taken me a while, certainly, but I've come to those same conclusions myself. And I've had my best results thereafter. I don't stress about eating after the sun goes down, nor do I worry about eating constantly. Similarly, I couldn't imagine starting a day without breakfast now. Fasting did nothing for me, other than cause nausea. So yes, I'd say that these are valuable, common sense, things that people ought to have in mind.
    Agreed. Fasting is definitely not for everyone...

Thanks for your 2 cents!
    For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me STRENGTH (Philippians 4:13)

-Mark Twain

Originally Posted by Insight View Post
    I had actually come up with a list of about 13 myths that everyone believes that really serve no purpose except to make you stress over nothing and complicate your life.

1) that carbs make you fat
    2) that fat makes you fat
    3) that you shouldn't eat carbs and fat at the same time
    4) that carb/fat ratio matters
    5) that you shouldn't eat food after 8 PM or so
    6) that you need to do tons and tons of intense cardio to lose weight
    7) that eating "white bread" instead of "wheat bread" will make you fat, and "white rice" instead of "brown rice" and so on
    8) that eating sugar will make you fat
    9) that eating fructose/high fructose corn syrup will make you fat
    10) that eating commonly believed to be "evil" will make you fat, such as a big mac, or dessert, or chinese food, or cookies, or fried eggs, or so on
    11) that losing weight means that you will have to be "hungry" all day or deprive yourself
    12) that losing weight is in general very "difficult" and requires inhuman levels of discipline
    13) that the above 12 things need to be kept up forever or else you will become fat again

I'm only one person, but I've lost 13 lbs in the past few months doing none of these things and just keeping my total energy intake 500 cals under maintenance. So far it's been the most stress-free and easiest (and ultimately most successful) cut I've ever done
    Wow, nice list!!

I suppose I could've added the "clean calories are better than dirty calories" bit. I mean after all, a calorie is just a unit of measure right?

But, there is something to be said for satiety when eating the foods designated as "clean". I feel pretty stuffed after eating 1000 calories worth of grilled chicken breast and steamed broccoli. While eating a huge 1000 calorie cheese burger may be more enjoyable, I always feel like another one when I'm finished ;-)

-Mark Twain

Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's important to consider. The volume of food I get to eat is important because, let's face it, eating is fun. I'd much rather enjoy a big, full meal, and hit my macros, than splurge on a little junk food.

dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It just needs to be kept in mind that nutrient timing matters to an extent, for optimal atheletic performance that is. So if one optimally works out on a shake and banana 20mins preworkout and feels refueled with a shake and simples carbs PWO then that's good it is what works for them, to train at their best. I just hate how people preach what works best for them to everyone and say all must do so to get good results. That's stupid, and obviously not true.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right!"-Henry Ford

Originally Posted by dimasso69 View Post
    It just needs to be kept in mind that nutrient timing matters to an extent, for optimal atheletic performance that is. So if one optimally works out on a shake and banana 20mins preworkout and feels refueled with a shake and simples carbs PWO then that's good it is what works for them, to train at their best. I just hate how people preach what works best for them to everyone and say all must do so to get good results. That's stupid, and obviously not true.
    There is no doubt as to the importance of the post workout meal. And a pre-workout meal could be just what the doctor ordered for improving workout intensity.

-Mark Twain

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with this thread.
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I agree with every one of the things said so far. It's amusing that about 2/3 of the threads here have someone following at least one of these myths. Nutrition for recreational lifters is not as complicated as people make it out to be.
    GOMAD!

Originally Posted by wave_length View Post
    I agree with this thread.
    Good to hear. Means a lot coming from you...

-Mark Twain

Originally Posted by gordonrumble View Post
    I agree with every one of the things said so far. It's amusing that about 2/3 of the threads here have someone following at least one of these myths. Nutrition for recreational lifters is not as complicated as people make it out to be.
    It is amusing isn't it.

Hopefully this thread can help shed light on the subject for others. Just like all of the BodyBuilding MythBusters I thanked in the original post - I hope that someday I can help people break free of some of the misinformation out there.

-Mark Twain

Hidamari is life Lifterforlife10's Avatar
    Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifterforlife10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    one of the big issues is that people either over think issues or they aren't educated regarding proper nutrition/exercise and so listen to whatever main stream society will tell them. Eating isn't complicated but people make it out to be

Originally Posted by Lifterforlife10 View Post
    one of the big issues is that people either over think issues or they aren't educated regarding proper nutrition/exercise and so listen to whatever main stream society will tell them. Eating isn't complicated but people make it out to be
    I definitely agree.

I think that an even greater issue is the pervasiveness of so many fanatics on the web. When someone tries to research an issue, they'll often find multiple sources (some reputable) with totally opposed viewpoints. How is an undereducated newcomer supposed to discern fact from fiction with so many contradictory statements from experts, especially when both sides make logical sense? Very frustrating.

-Mark Twain

Registered User newb-to-lifting's Avatar
    newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newb-to-lifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Lifterforlife10 View Post
    Eating isn't complicated but people make it out to be
    Big time! I use to.

Originally Posted by mneugeba View Post
    I think that an even greater issue is the pervasiveness of so many fanatics on the web. When someone tries to research an issue, they'll often find multiple sources (some reputable) with totally opposed viewpoints. How is an undereducated newcomer supposed to discern fact from fiction with so many contradictory statements from experts, especially when both sides make logical sense? Very frustrating.
    This is where I got majorly confused. Reading nutrition articles and forums when I first started out got me in the mindset that I had to eat 6 meals a day and eating nothing but clean food or my goals would never be achieved. I would do it for a while and then get frustrated because I wasn't able to enjoy what I was eating. Then the time I had to spend preparing food and eating it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are more busy in their day than me and do it but for me it got old really quick.

It wasn't until I stumbled across Wave_Length's thread that I changed my ways. It took a lot of time for me to even think of considering eating like that. I was duped by all these articles in magazines and on the web convincing me 6 meals a day was the only way. Once I opened my mind and allowed myself to think outside the box I've had more success then I've ever had in my entire life. Plus, now I enjoy the hell out of my eating habits and food.

NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    -Mark Twain

Throughout my fitness journey I have come across many practices which heralded the "tried and true" attribute. However, there are 3 of these practices in particular which seem to be not entirely accurate. Let this be a big thankyou to those who are helping to set the record straight.

I have listed what I would consider to be the three biggest myths that I used to buy into whole heartedly. I would like to see if anyone out there can either confirm the "busted" status of these myths or reinforce their accuracy. I would ask that contributors limit the use of anecdotal evidence or personal testimony (aka "bro-science") when backing-up their claims.

In addition to listing the myths I've encountered, I've also listed the resource or individual who is responsible for busting this myth for me in my personal journey. I'm not saying they are the most prevalent myth-busting champions. Nor am I saying they are the least. I'm simply saying that, for me, they are the ones responsible for setting the record straight.

1. 6 meals a day is better than 2 or 3.
    I will agree with anyone who states that 6 meals a day is an effective practice. However, I would argue that meal frequency is located behind caloric intake in the list of priorities.
    Credit to Martin Berkhan: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3587831
    Also to wave_length and his 3 rules: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113693871

2. Carbs before bed makes you fat.
    For clarification: Consuming excessive calories can lead to gaining fat, regardless of the type of calorie. That being said, I would also argue that carbohydrates may be the least important macro-nutrient. By that I mean you can fluctuate in your carbohydrate intake and still achieve your goals. If however you consume too few essential fatty acids, or if you consume too little protein, then you?ll have a harder time achieving your goals.
    For busting this myth I would have to give credit to the entire Nutrition forum.

3. Fasted cardio is more effective than fed cardio for body composition improvement.
    Does fasted cardio work? Yes. Is it a fantastic tool for losing fat mass? Yes. Is it optimal for both retaining muscle mass while simultaneously losing fat mass. It seems that it's not necessarily optimal.
    Credit to Alan Aragon: http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-unde...ed-cardio.html

Anyone please feel free to chime in
    Lulz, if you gonna follow Wave's rules, you will be a fatass soon. Remember that, he ain't a human being!
    Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing ...

Yeah I know, my oatmeal seems to be runny! Actually, it is! So, don't worry!

Originally Posted by newb-to-lifting View Post
    This is where I got majorly confused. Reading nutrition articles and forums when I first started out got me in the mindset that I had to eat 6 meals a day and eating nothing but clean food or my goals would never be achieved.
    I was duped by all these articles in magazines and on the web convincing me 6 meals a day was the only way.
    Same here.

Once I opened my mind and allowed myself to think outside the box I've had more success then I've ever had in my entire life. Plus, now I enjoy the hell out of my eating habits and food.
    I made solid progress eating 6 meals a day, but it was hard for me maintain a caloric deficit. Now I eat 2 or 3 times a day, and it's a lot easier for me.

-Mark Twain

Originally Posted by NeverYo View Post
    Lulz, if you gonna follow Wave's rules, you will be a fatass soon. Remember that, he ain't a human being!
    Suffice it to say that I disagree.

-Mark Twain

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Haha
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would call for this to be stickied if it wasn't already covered in the stickies section here. Great posts by OP and Insight.

Hopefully this thread can stay bumped up for a while so n00bs read it, because they never seem to read the stickies.
    It's being a part of the Red, White and Green that makes me a Rooting Machine. And when you feel my mighty Stallion, you will know you have been with a true Italian. :D

Edit Dec 2009: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I was gay when I was 15.

NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NeverYo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Suffice it to say that I disagree.
    Calm down, was kiddin'. Happy x-mas!
    Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing ...

Yeah I know, my oatmeal seems to be runny! Actually, it is! So, don't worry!

AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the leaner you get, the more "particular" you have to be in order to improve.

i.e. A 400lb man could just not eat as much to improve. however, a 180lb bodybuilder at 5% bf would have to consider nutrient timing, whole grains vs enriched, etc....in order to improve and get to 3-4%.
    ...imnoting

Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hardingxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The whole clean vs. dirty thing is bogus. Obviously clean food is better. Think about it you always want the purest supps... If clean vs. dirty didn't matter then why do you take vitamins bcaas creatine and what not????? And the fact that most clean foods contain this things like efa's essintial vitamins and proteins hmmm.... lets think about this.... Yes I agree you and effectively cut even when you eat crap... but try bulking some time.... your results will be inferior compared to someone who ate a balanced diet. Just my 2 cents... and Im sure someone will come bash just because they eat crap everyday and claim to be able to gain quality mass....

Also: Trust me I do not eat perfectly clean. I drink(beer usually) and eat sweets whenever I get the chance. I just know that I can't do this all the time, so about 90% of the time I eat and drink "clean" things.

dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AniMaLizTik View Post

i.e. A 400lb man could just not eat as much to improve. however, a 180lb bodybuilder at 5% bf would have to consider nutrient timing, whole grains vs enriched, etc....in order to improve and get to 3-4%.
    why are whole grains and enriched differenciated. Does the body respond differently to them?

Originally Posted by AniMaLizTik View Post

Well, it looks like whatever you're doing is working ... so best of luck to you. I still think that as far as body composition is concerned whole grains vs enriched doesn't make a difference. Maybe for overall health, but not for body composition.

-Mark Twain

AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dimasso69 View Post
    why are whole grains and enriched differenciated. Does the body respond differently to them?
    enriched carbs are processed quicker and aren't as filling than whole grains due to the lack of fiber
    Well, it looks like whatever you're doing is working ... so best of luck to you. I still think that as far as body composition is concerned whole grains vs enriched doesn't make a difference. Maybe for overall health, but not for body composition.
    thanks, it's only my opinion
    ...imnoting

IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

mneugeba,

This is a great thread and I hope everyone (both experienced/n00b trainers) read this.

As I am someone who works day in a day out and is tertiary qualified in this subject I have quite often refused to say what I really think on this forum due to the fact that everyone is different when it comes to what methods suit them.

Thank you for showing the courage and posting.

Enjoy.
    BAppSc(Hons) - Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise and Nutrition Sciences)
    MDietSt - Master of Dietetics Studies

University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Team FIT Athlete @ St Marys CrossFit.
    Asics Sponsered Athlete.

Originally Posted by IntraVol View Post
    mneugeba,

This is a great thread and I hope everyone (both experienced/n00b trainers) read this.

As I am someone who works day in a day out and is tertiary qualified in this subject I have quite often refused to say what I really think on this forum due to the fact that everyone is different when it comes to what methods suit them.

Thank you for showing the courage and posting.

Enjoy.
    Really happy to see that my comments are being received so well. When I wrote out the original post, I thought I'd be getting more negative feedback...

-Mark Twain

iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500) iCookie is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Insight View Post
    I had actually come up with a list of about 13 myths that everyone believes that really serve no purpose except to make you stress over nothing and complicate your life.

1) that carbs make you fat
    2) that fat makes you fat
    3) that you shouldn't eat carbs and fat at the same time
    4) that carb/fat ratio matters
    5) that you shouldn't eat food after 8 PM or so
    6) that you need to do tons and tons of intense cardio to lose weight
    7) that eating "white bread" instead of "wheat bread" will make you fat, and "white rice" instead of "brown rice" and so on
    8) that eating sugar will make you fat
    9) that eating fructose/high fructose corn syrup will make you fat
    10) that eating commonly believed to be "evil" will make you fat, such as a big mac, or dessert, or chinese food, or cookies, or fried eggs, or so on
    11) that losing weight means that you will have to be "hungry" all day or deprive yourself
    12) that losing weight is in general very "difficult" and requires inhuman levels of discipline
    13) that the above 12 things need to be kept up forever or else you will become fat again

I'm only one person, but I've lost 13 lbs in the past few months doing none of these things and just keeping my total energy intake 500 cals under maintenance. So far it's been the most stress-free and easiest (and ultimately most successful) cut I've ever done
    Well carbs don't make you fat, but eating carbs can make it hard to LOSE fat (because of the constant refilling of glykogen storages)

Originally Posted by iCookie View Post
    Well carbs don't make you fat, but eating carbs can make it hard to LOSE fat (because of the constant refilling of glykogen storages)
    where did u learn this? It's false.

imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000) imajoey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    sweet learned stuff!
    Minnesota Sports Fan-Florida Gators

MAGA