3nigma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting from scratch - Help appreciated!

Hi. I'm a pretty skinny guy. My goal is to get a little bit bigger and then get finely toned. Now the thing is, I don't want to get RIPPED bodybuilder style. That look doesn't appeal to me, and I know this is mainly a bodybuilder site, but I imagine you guys know alot about the basics. This is exactly how I want my chest to look. Thing is, I don't know a whole lot about fitness and bodybuilding and dieting and nutrition and such.

I take one multivitamin a day, that's basically all. I don't know much about protein powders and shakes and supplements and things. I don't even know if I need them really.

I worked out to a program a few months ago. It was called the eight minute abs program. I'm sure most of you have heard about it. It had the whole body package. It had eight minute arms, abs, legs, buns, and even warmups. I used it every other day for about a month and a half, and I started to see small changes. My posture improved, I had little bubbles forming to where my abs should've been. I had a trimmer chest and more energy, it was great. Then I lost motivation and forgot about it because I didn't keep up the diet aspect of my fitness. I sorta ate whatever I wanted, and it really slowed it down I think. Because if I DID have abs, I'd have a little layer of fat over them.

So, I need recommendations. What books should I get? I don't really care about the "exercises" portions of the book, I just would like a more technical read about how muscles are formed and how carbs and proteins help and things of that nature. An ALL around fitness book that would be wonderful. One that 99% of everyone on this site agrees on. I don't know anything about the whole protein vs carbs theory to fitness. So, I would like that cleared up in the book preferably. I would also like a not so expensive but good dieting plan. I know to eat alot of chicken breast, turkey, tuna, vegetables and peanut butter, but I don't really know the specifics of how and when and yeah. Also, is the eight minute abs program still relevant to today? I mean, it hurts afterwards and I feel like I died, so it must still be very effective.

So yeah, tell me all the basics. What book/books should I buy? What equipment should I buy? What type of supplements, if any, should I buy? What programs should I check out? etc. Thanks in advance.

wjtyrer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, I'm a fairly skinny guy myself so i too have have been trying to build up but not to body builder size either.
    That picture is pretty much how I'd like to look too.

Do you know about body types? Ectomorph, Mesomorph and Endoporph? If not, look them up.
    I'm assuming your an ectomorph like me which basically means that your naturally lean and have a quick metabolism which makes it hard for you to gain weight.

The low down is that you body burns quite fast so in order to gain weight, muscle mass etc you have to eat alot.
    I suggest getting a protein and a creatine and eat heaps, dont be scared about getting fat coz you as long as your working out your body type wont let you get fat too easy.
    Its usually what people eat etc and put into their bodies rather than what they are doing gym wise.
    Bottom line is, to gain weight you must put more in your body then your body's putting out.
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by wjtyrer; 01-15-2009 at 04:27 AM.

Originally Posted by wjtyrer View Post
    Do you know about body types? Ectomorph, Mesomorph and Endoporph? If not, look them up.
    I'm assuming your an ectomorph like me which basically means that your naturally lean and have a quick metabolism which makes it hard for you to gain weight.
    Actually yes, you're dead on. I'm very tall and skinny. I'm 6'3, 175lbs, and I've been the same shape, give or take a few pounds, for my whole life. Once I went to a gym and the instructor told me that I have the perfect body to really start getting in great shape. He said I have a super fast metabolism which means I would burn off fat rather quickly, making me extremely toned if I decided to get serious about body building or exercising. Only thing is, I'd have to do it very regularly with a strict plan. That's basically why I'm here.

Bump.

wjtyrer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah your the same as me. I'm 67kg/148lbs and am about 5'11"/6"
    About a year and a half ago I was under 60kgs, I was tiny! But since then I've been eating alot of carbs and protein and doing alot of weights, push ups, pull ups etc and taking a protein and a creatine. It has helped and even though I'm still fairly small I have good tone but still wanna bulk up a bit.

Guys like us pretty much have to eat like crazy, as I said just make sure your putting more in then your putting out.

Keep me posted

So uhm, what books do you guys recommend?

dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why don't you ask in the nutrition forum? They'll probably help you more.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

ajab927 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ive been noticing that a lot of threads go unanswered in this forum... but neway, the best advice i can give you is learn about proper nutrition. Through diet you will be able to make your body look the way you want to and as far as weightlifting just keep the program simple, for the most rapid gains stick to a bodybuilding-style split.

Because you're an ectomorph it will be naturally difficult for you to put on a lot of mass so keep the volume of your workouts relatively low and increase your caloric intake until you have reached your desired weight.

Good luck!!