Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Heh, dextrose beat ribose...

10 g/day for 8 weeks. Healthy humans, orally administered. Don't even try to say this isn't legitimate.

Clin J Sport Med. 2006 Jan;16(1):68-71.Click here to read Links
    Ribose versus dextrose supplementation, association with rowing performance: a double-blind study.
    Dunne L, Worley S, Macknin M.

Sports Medicine Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA.

OBJECTIVE: It has been hypothesized that ribose supplementation rapidly replenishes adenosine triphosphate stores and thereby improves exercise performance. We compared the effects of ribose versus dextrose on rowing performance. DESIGN: Double-blind randomized trial. SETTING: Rowing team training area of large midwestern university. PARTICIPANTS: Thirty-one women collegiate rowers. INTERVENTIONS: We studied the effects of ribose versus dextrose supplementation (10 g each in 8 oz water) for 8 weeks before and after practice and 2000-m time trials. OUTCOME MEASUREMENTS AND RESULTS: In the time trials, the dextrose group showed significantly more improvement at 8 weeks than the ribose group (median, 15.2 vs. 5.2 s; P = 0.031). CONCLUSIONS: We doubt ribose impaired, and hypothesize dextrose enhanced, rowing performance. Further research is needed to define what role, if any, dextrose and ribose play as athletic supplements.

PMID: 16377979 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Last edited by cakedonkey; 08-24-2007 at 08:09 PM.
    SAN Nutrition
    sann.net / pumpedmag.com / starmarklabs.com

My heart pumps ETHER CHUCK DIESEL's Avatar
    CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cakedonkey View Post
    And you, selling it, claim it does. Something doesn't seem right here.
    And ur a rep for San that doesnt sell it, what does that all mean. Nothing, I dont sell Ribose, I sell ETHER, which contains Ribose and incase you didnt have a chance to see logs on ETHER, here u go:

recent logs:

blueboy22 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3635111

redhawk76 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3643671

Younglifter16 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3708921

(product was not avail. from 2006 to summer 2007)

2005 formula of ETHER logs shorts:

Consumer reviews/comments from the original NOS ETHER powder released in 2005:

-Kruster:

Effectiveness: 11/10
    Yes, 11. Where to begin?
    -STRENGTH GAINS! Oh my God the strength gains. I wasn't even doing a powerlifting program, and sweet Lord, my strength went through the roof. Tired of seeing people say that without quantifying it? Well, try this on for size. I was making consistent gains of 3 REPS PER WEEK with a given weight. Normally I only go up by 1 rep a week and that's still better than most people I know, creatine or otherwise. If you want to look at it another way, I was gaining 200% faster. I was only on it for a month (God only knows what would have happened after that; I was actually starting to get even stronger in the last week) but here's what happened in that timeframe:
    Squats (all the way down) went from 215 x 5 to 235 x 5 with power to spare
    Deadlifts went from 365 x 2 to 385 x 2 with better form and could have done more
    Shrugs went from 315 x 6 on one set to 335 x 8 for 3 sets
    Pulldowns 250 x 10 to 290 x 7
    DB shoulder press 55 x 10 went up to 65 x 10
    BB bench went up 175 x 5 to 195 x 5
    ...and so on. Keep in mind, these gains were all over the course of 4 weeks (the first number being on the first week and the second being on the 4th week) and I tightened up my form on all the exercises at the expense of some increases. I have never seen any "creatine stack" product that can claim those kind of results, outside of the almighty Cell-Tech. Basically I was able to just keep going up in weight any time I wanted.

-Unbelieveable increase in ATP. The most noticeable change was on the first rep of DB presses, bottom of squats and bench, and a HUGE increase in power off the floor in deadlifts. The difference going from CEE to this stuff is like the difference you feel when you first start creatine, only twice as good.

-Pumps so good, they hurt. No joke. I was on CEE/Arginine before this and that was nothing. I actually had to cut a lot of my sets short because the pump was too much. It usually lasted for the rest of the day to some degree too, and I got good "muscle hardness" after workouts instead of feeling mushy like usual. Vascularity was off the charts too. Nothing I've ever taken could compare to it.

-cajunbam

Just wanted to give you my $.02 worth. I will be using NOS Ether for many moons to come.. I have never used a Pre or Post workout supplement that has the ability to make me feel stronger in the gym as well as giving me more endurance. Even my focus is more intense and I really zone in. I've used it Pre- only, Post- only, and both Pre- and Post- workout. I get my best results when using Ether on both my on and off days; and when I use it both pre- and post- workout on my on days. This IS the real sh*t!!

- Bammy

Alright, I will sum up my experience with NOS Ether, since there is less than a day left.

Summary:

----> NOS Ether has increased my strength better than any product I have ever used, and that includes CEE mixes including Citrulline, Taurine etc. Just look at the increases I have made in 26 days.
    +30 lbs on ATG squats
    +30 lbs on Deadlifts
    +20 lbs and 1 rep on leg press
    +10 lbs -2 reps on flat db press
    +10 lbs -1 rep on incline db press

---- \\Pumps are also insane and do feel like a blood pressure cuff at times, especially in biceps and forearms. They feel like they are stretching the fascia big time and can get painful when using lighter weights and supersetting.

---- Vascularity increased more than with anything else as well. I have (can see) new veins popping out of my very upper traps, upper pecs, and forearms. In my biceps, I can see deep blue veins criss-crossing that I've never seen before, but they don't pop out.
    ---- Size has increased, especially in the arms. I wish I had done measurements, but I know even without them. I have gotten comments from like 4 people that my arms have grown. They look especially bigger with a front double bi pose. (Keep in mind, they still aren't big, but 2 years ago they were tiny).

----> Weight... Right now I weigh 172, which is 10 lbs more than at the start. However, there is food in my stomach and I will get a more accurate weight tomorrow morning and post it up.

----> Mood... This stuff puts me in a great mood (happy and calm) after my workouts too. I think its the rhodiola. Don't add extra, because Ether already has enough.

Overall, this product is a winner. If I could have just one supplement for the rest of my life, other than the basics, NOS Ether would be it. I've tried some cool stuff, but this product is very effective for what we as bodybuilders are primarily looking for. It hasn't increased my definition or made me leaner and it doesn't give much energy, but it is THE BEST I have ever used for strength and size which are #1 in my book. I also look noticeably better that I did just 3.5 weeks ago. $60 is a lot, but this stuff is really worth it if you need to get over a plateau or just want to start gaining again. I'm sure I will use this again at some point. Thanks Chuck

- Ghengis_77

NOS Ether promises something called ?tight pumps.? What? As opposed to ?loose pumps?? I wondered about that. I discovered a little about ?tight pumps? after my first ME day on NOS Ether. I wasn?t sure what was going on?was it an anomaly? A fluke? What was that achy feeling? I stored it in the back of my mind?no use making decisions or forming opinions after one workout. But now, I?ve completed two Speed Days and the one ME Day on NOS Ether?and it?s no fluke. (Note. I do stack NOS Ether with one capsule of Diesel Fuel.)

As I was finishing up my Speed Day workout last night, I was super setting my shoulder work?and getting the ?tight pump.? Oh yeah. The ?tight pump.? It?s painful. In a good way. Heh. (Can I say that on this site?) It feels like your muscles are trying to explode thru your skin?and it does hurt. You feel like Ronnie Coleman looks ? like your muscles are bursting out. I was half-way through super setting; my shoulders ached so badly I felt like I had to stop until the throbbing subsided, but I could hear Louie Simmons whispering ?density of training, get your candy-ass back to work? in my ear, so I continued to march. The pump was so severe and so ?tight? that I looked in the mirror several times to see if something bad was happening?no lie!

After finishing shoulders, I still had a few sets of hammers before I was finished for the night. My shoulders continue to ache through the four sets of hammers. And I mean ache. You can?t ?shake it out.? They just throb. After finishing the workout, I took my post-workout dose of NOS Ether (brought my shaker bottle with me, all I had to do was add water). You?re not supposed to consume your protein for at least 15 minutes after taking NOS Ether (20 minutes for food). It took 15 minutes or so for the tightness and achy feeling to subside. I now understand exactly what ?tight pumps? are all about.

In summary, NOS Ether is everything it claims to be. Oh yeah. One more thing. Those other?ahem?side effects it mentions on the jar? Those are true too (side effects include increased appetite, strong erections and reduction in body fat).

-Kabuki

ON FIRE!

Just got back from the gym and hit a 60lb PR on band resisted deadlifts. A single would have been the PR...but I WENT AHEAD AND HIT IT FOR A TRIPLE.

I have not seen result like this in such a short amount of time since I started lifting.

The last three weeks I have been doing:
    -1hour preworkout 1.5 scoops (1.5 servings NOS ETHER)
    -1/2hour preworkout 40grams WPC and a pear
    -postworkout 1.5 scoops with 15grams dextrose and 25grams high DE Maltodextrin
    -20min later 40 grams WPI with 25 grams Low DE Maltodextrin with Inulin
    -30min later 6 ounces of salmon and a high fiber complex carb.

So yeah, I dont sell Ribose by itself for strength and power gains in the gym, but I do know I have a product called NOS ETHER that has consistantly produced huge strength and power gains in its users, way over creatine products that do not contain ribose such as San V-12, so I'm not really in a "ribose doesnt work because GET DIESEL sales ribose," argument here, what you should be doing (cakedonky) is wondering why ETHER works so well over V-12 and many other creatine products that do not contain ribose.

Also there is over 60% more creatine in V-12 than ETHER so instead of posting studies done on people doing bike test and row boating, explain to me why ETHER is so effective.
    Last edited by CHUCK DIESEL; 08-24-2007 at 08:59 PM.

cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Give me a break Chuck... you give me a "look at the logs" response when I just cited 6 or so peer-reviewed, human pieces of literature that show the stuff doesn't work?

You're making yourself look really bad here. Come back with some real, actual data, or don't reply at all.
    SAN Nutrition

CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Give me a break Chuck... you give me a "look at the logs" response when I just cited 6 or so peer-reviewed, human pieces of literature that show the stuff doesn't work?

You're making yourself look really bad here. Come back with some real, actual data, or don't reply at all.
    Your making yourself and SAN look bad actually. You posted blabla pubmed studies, 2 done over 5 days on cycle ergometry test, and one on row boating.

I just showed you "real actual data." You think strength and power athletes are buying products based on 5 day pubmed studies with test done on bikes, or do you think they are buying products on real world results in the gym?

MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CHUCK DIESEL View Post
    Your making yourself and SAN look bad actually. You posted blabla pubmed studies, 2 done over 5 days on cycle ergometry test, and one on row boating.

I just showed you "real actual data." You think strength and power athletes are buying products based on 5 day pubmed studies with test done on bikes, or do you think they are buying products on real world results in the gym?
    lol no offense, but i think most of us would agree here that pubmed studies are gonna be a lot more reliable showing the effectiveness of ribose when only ribose is used.. compared to people given a free product with a hell of a lot more than ribose in it, in an uncontrolled environment..logging it with an obvious bias..

how do you do know its not the other 20 ingredients that are doing the work and not the ribose?
    MET-Rx/Pure Protein Board Rep

*Disclaimer: The thoughts and opinions of this rep are of his own and does not reflect MET-Rx/Pure Protein as a company. This user is a Bodybuilding.com board representative and is not an employee of MET-Rx/Pure Protein.*

Iron Mulisha Athlete

Also there is over 60% more creatine in V-12 than ETHER so instead of posting studies done on people doing bike test and row boating, explain to me why ETHER is so effective.

an update today on an ETHER log:

Originally Posted by blueboy22 View Post
    I am still using NOS ETHER and my gains continue to amaze me. I am still setting PR's on nealry an every day basis.

The only reason I am really updating this is that my diet is still the same as it was on the 6 weeks leading up to starting NOS and the 7 weeks I have been taking NOS. With that said, I look leaner in the mirror but I am to 201lbs. That is a gain of 7 pounds in 7 weeks, yet when looking at my abs and back, I am much more "toned" than when I started.
    Do you really think I care if you found some pubmed studies saying Ribose doesnt work for bike test endurance or row boating? Nope.

cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MattyH7688 View Post

how do you do know its not the other 20 ingredients that are doing the work and not the ribose?

This would be my question ^^^^^^^^^^^.

I can add stimulants to a bunch of useless ingredients, and people will say "Man I feel it working, therefore the product is good."

lol no offense, but i think most of us would agree here that pubmed studies are gonna be a lot more reliable showing the effectiveness of ribose when only ribose is used.. compared to people given a free product with a hell of a lot more than ribose in it, in an uncontrolled environment..logging it with an obvious bias..

The only people that buy supplements based on pubmed studies are a few of you on here. In the real world people dont buy supplements on pumbed studies, or even know what pumbed is. If I had time I can find you 5 day pubmed studies that show creatine doesnt work. Compared to people given a free product..........there are tons of people who have loged ether and the logs were not sponsored. You guys are a trip. I have no problem with this thread, its funny. I am very happy with NOS ETHER as a GET DIESEL product.

Hey you heard it from me, "dont buy ribose, use it for 5 days and take a bike test or use it for 8 weeks and go row boating." Its useless.

MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

^^^
    MET-Rx/Pure Protein Board Rep

*Disclaimer: The thoughts and opinions of this rep are of his own and does not reflect MET-Rx/Pure Protein as a company. This user is a Bodybuilding.com board representative and is not an employee of MET-Rx/Pure Protein.*

Iron Mulisha Athlete

All the ingredients in there for ATP are working together to increase stength and power.......

Originally Posted by cxm View Post
    This would be my question ^^^^^^^^^^^.

I can add stimulants to a bunch of useless ingredients, and people will say "Man I feel it working, therefore the product is good."
    ^^ ? there are no stimulants in NOS ETHER.

cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

^^ ? there are no stimulants in NOS ETHER.
    Maybe I wasn't clear with my post, this was just an example. I never said ether had any type of stimulants, but many other companies use this tactic.

there is less creatine in NOS ETHER than almost every single creatine transport product available. So I'm not saying ribose is doing the work, thats stupid to say, if it was doing all the work then the product would just have ribose in it. What Im saying is ribose is in NOS ETHER and NOS ETHER has little creatine in it, and if some consumers dont buy products with Ribose because of bike test pubmed studies I dont care. Powerlifters and athletes dont shop that way. There product purchases are results driven. As in what kind of results people training just like I am are getting on this product. I dont sell bulk ribose, but Im only defending it because the title of this thread is "d-ribose is a scam because I know alot of consumers are not educated enough on supplements to know how to read pumbed studies and when they see something like that its sending the message "products containing ribose are a scam."

Cite literature or leave the thread.

You can convince someone that anything will do what it says it does, because they're putting faith in your claim and hoping that it works, and as a result, "feel" it working. Indeed, as I said, this is placebo effect at its absolute finest form.

In the "real world" people don't know what PubMed is? Really Chuck, think about what you're saying here. Why does that have any signficant relevance to the matter at hand? You're basically saying, "people will buy D-ribose anyway because they'll never know that it's not proven in the scientific literature."

To be honest, I think your D-ribose-based supplements "work" for your consumers as shown in the logs because of inclusions of obvious ergogens such as, e.g., creatine. You then go onto say that you could find 5-a-day studies that creatine doesn't work. Problem with that Chuck, is that there's hundreds of studies that say it does work, and it's no question in anyone's mind that creatine monohydrate is proven in the science and in the real world. Ribose can't say that.
    Last edited by cakedonkey; 08-24-2007 at 09:30 PM.
    SAN Nutrition

Cite literature or leave the thread.

You can convince someone that anything will do what it says it does, because they're putting faith in your claim and hoping that it works, and as a result, "feel" it working. Indeed, as I said, this is placebo effect at its absolute finest form.

In the "real world" people don't know what PubMed is? Really Chuck, think about what you're saying here. Why does that have any signficant relevance to the matter at hand? You're basically saying, "people will buy D-ribose anyway because they'll never know that it's not proven in the scientific literature."

To be honest, I think your D-ribose-based supplements "work" for your consumers as shown in the logs because of inclusions of obvious ergogens such as, e.g., creatine. You then go onto say that you could find 5-a-day studies that creatine doesn't work. Problem with that Chuck, is that there's hundreds of studies that say it does work, and it's no question in anyone's mind that creatine monohydrate is proven in the science and in the real world. Ribose can't say that.
    No Im saying if a product that contains ribose works, people will buy it. Once again I never said, "go buy bulk ribose." I dont sell bulk ribose. Its just shady for you to start a thread, "ribose is a scam" when your a rep for a company that makes performance products that dont include ribose.

Placebo at its finest form....ok well put some of that "placebo" in V-12.

Still seeing no proof Chuck.

And don't even try knocking V-12. It invented the cell volumizer category and the formula is proven.
    SAN Nutrition

ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by www.care2.com
    Thirty-six people with chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, or
    both were asked to take 5 grams of D-ribose three times per day until
    the bottle was gone, which took an average of 25 days. By the end of
    the study, the people reported significant improvements in energy
    levels, sleep patterns, mental clarity, pain intensity, and feelings
    of well-being. The average energy increase was 45%, and about 66% of
    the people said that they felt "somewhat better to much better" while
    taking D-ribose.

These findings need to be confirmed in controlled studies in order to
    rule out the possibility of a placebo effect. However, because there
    are few effective therapies to help treat people with chronic fatigue
    syndrome and fibromyalgia, D-ribose might be worth a try.

(J Altern Complement Med 2006;12:857?62)

Kimberly Beauchamp, ND, earned her bachelor's degree from the
    University of Rhode Island and her Doctorate of Naturopathic Medicine
    from Bastyr University in Kenmore, WA. She cofounded South County
    Naturopaths in Wakefield, RI. Dr. Beauchamp practices as a birth
    doula and lectures on topics including whole-foods nutrition,
    detoxification, and women's health.

D-Ribose blind test

(D-Ribose) Improves Pain And Quality Of Life In Fibromyalgia And
    Chronic Fatigue Patients

Can a simple sugar provide relief for the millions of patients afflicted with
    the diagnosis of fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue?

That's what Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, and Valen Labs wanted to determine with an
    open label, 41-patient feasibility study, the results of which are now being
    released.

The study had two endpoints: assessing the level of relief in symptoms of
    fatigue and pain; and determining changes in patient quality of life.

The patients in the study had an average age of 48 years and were 78-percent
    female, which is in keeping with the general population as fibromyalgia and
    chronic fatigue syndrome affect twice as many women as men and typically first
    appears at middle age.

At the start of the study the patients completed a 10-point quality of life
    visual analog scale and then took five grams of CORvalenTM D-ribose orally,
    three times a day, for an average of 28 days.

After the 28-day treatment period the QOL questionnaire was repeated, and
    69-percent of the 36 patients who completed the course of CORvalenTM treatment
    had significant improvement in their symptoms. They also averaged a 25-percent
    improvement in the QOL scale.

"What this did was verify what we already knew about the impact of ribose on
    energy recovery in muscles generally," says Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, Medical
    Director of the Center for Effective CFS/Fibromyalgia Therapies in Annapolis,
    Maryland. "But specifically we determined the energy building benefit of ribose
    directly improved the debilitating symptoms of these conditions. I think this
    study, and follow on studies now in development, will make ribose one of the
    most important new nutrients studies in the next few years."
    Not sticking up for either side. I haven't found (though, I haven't researched too much) any positive studies for ribose on humans. This study did indicate that d-ribose had a positive effect on most with chronic fatigue.

Yeah, fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue.

Next.
    SAN Nutrition

Still seeing no proof Chuck.

And don't even try knocking V-12. It invented the cell volumizer category and the formula is proven.
    Im not knocking v-12, Im asking you to explain to me why ETHER is so effective with over 60% less creatine in it than v-12. It didnt invent cell volumizers, there were cell volumizers (ie creatine and something like taurine way before v-12).

ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000) ncangey0513 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah, fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue.

Next.
    http://www.bioenergy.com/Papers/9034...e%20050924.pdf

Page 6 on down.

Originally Posted by ncangey0513 View Post

That's an interesting paper. Let me read it over and I'll comment on it tomorrow. Although, it's from BioEnergy, who make D-ribose, so it might have a little bit of a "twist" to it if you know what I mean.
    SAN Nutrition

Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is a pretty interesting thread. I'll have to read it when I get home.
    HALEO Lead Forum Representative

Echo in Eternity

Store Link - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/haleo.html
    ******** Page - www.********.com/pages/HALEO-Worldwide-Inc/344612048892858

That's an interesting paper. Let me read it over and I'll comment on it tomorrow. Although, it's from BioEnergy, who make D-ribose, so it might have a little bit of a "twist" to it if you know what I mean.
    Yes, it is from BioEnergy. I noticed that they make d-ribose, so I was hesitant to post it. But, it has more than one study noting the efficacy of d-ribose on healthy humans. I did look at a ton of studies, and most of them did deem d-ribose to be useless. I really don't want to get in the middle of this. I was just looking for some studies to prove the opposite. That's all.

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It may work for health purposes but not for bodybuilding.

Originally Posted by ncangey0513 View Post
    There is alot of stuff in there on sprinting use of ribose and bodybuilding including the one Im going to post in a few

Originally Posted by Al Shades View Post
    It may work for health purposes but not for bodybuilding.
    Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise:Volume 33(5) Supplement 1May 2001p S166
    RIBOSE ADMINISTRATION IN RECREATIONAL BODYBUILDERS
    [D16N FREE COMMUNICATION/POSTER NUTRITION AND SPORT]
    Antonio, J FACSM1; Falk, D1; Gammeren, D Van1

1University of Nebraska-Kearney, Kearney NE 68849

The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of four weeks of ribose supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in male bodybuilders. Subjects were randomly assigned to a placebo (dextrose) and ribose group (10 g/d in powder form). Each subject participated in a heavy-resistance training program designed to increase skeletal muscle mass. Body composition was assessed via dual X-ray absorptiometry analysis (DEXA). One repetition maximum strength (bench press) and the total number of repetition performed during 10 consecutive sets (1-min rest interval between sets) to muscular failure at a submaximal load for the bench press (100% of pre-test body weight) were ascertained. Additionally, 24-hour dietary recalls were obtained pre and post. There were no baseline differences between groups for any of the measured parameters. The ribose group experienced a significant pre-post increase (+29.8% ribose vs. +7.42% placebo) in the number of total repetitions performed for the 10 sets to muscular failure (p = 0.046; ribose pre-total reps - 24.80 + 14.35, post-total reps -32.20 + 14.79; placebo pre-total reps - 38.57 + 10.16, post-total reps - 41.43 + 9.91). There were no pre-post differences for any of the other measures. Thus, supplementation with ribose (10 g/d) for four weeks resulted in a significant increase in the number of total repetitions performed for 10 sets in the bench press exercise. Further research is needed to confirm these findings.
    ________

I know cakedonkey is going to post some BS like, thats not in pubmed, or blabla placebo effect but what its not is some study on a 5 day bike test or rowing a boat.

Bodybuilders......performing the bench press

goodnight people

I'll admit, I'm impressed that you actually came up with a pretty relevant piece of literature. For that, I'll commend you (credit where credit is due).

The results are impressive to the point where they're hard to believe. The results of this trial also seem to go against what previous and even more recent literature has stated. The only way D-ribose is yielding these effects is through an ATP-specific mechanism (e.g., faster restoration between bouts). However, according to [J Appl Physiol. 2001 Nov;91(5):2275-81.], it doesn't do jack for ATP restoration and thusly has no effect on exercise performance. They were also using some 16 g/day.

That's mysteryous, if anything. All of the other papers claim that it doesn't do anything for ATP restoration or increase in exercise capacity, yet this one magical paper reports (rather stellar) results. It all seems very weird to me.

I will say this also though: if you think one article--even if seemingly relevant--makes ribose worthwhile, you're painfully wrong. We'd have to read the full-text to get a better understanding of what really went on in that study. Really, if it worked, there'd be far more than one positive paper on it. On the other end of the spectrum, nearly all of the data available on it, in humans, seems to fail. Another problem with a lot of the "positive" effects that you'll see scattered out through that paper are that they are internal function of D-ribose; not necessarily orally administered in supplemental form.
    Last edited by cakedonkey; 08-24-2007 at 11:31 PM.
    SAN Nutrition

There is alot of stuff in there on sprinting use of ribose and bodybuilding including the one Im going to post in a few

Was there any vested interest in the paper since this is coming directly off the BioEnergy site?

Because there's papers saying Fizogen "The Strap" work. And I'm not kidding (look it up, Ohio Research Group). Fizogen definitely slipped a lot of green into their pockets, rest assured.
    Last edited by cakedonkey; 08-24-2007 at 11:29 PM.
    SAN Nutrition

DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise:Volume 33(5) Supplement 1May 2001p S166
    RIBOSE ADMINISTRATION IN RECREATIONAL BODYBUILDERS
    [D16N FREE COMMUNICATION/POSTER NUTRITION AND SPORT]
    Antonio, J FACSM1; Falk, D1; Gammeren, D Van1

1University of Nebraska-Kearney, Kearney NE 68849

The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of four weeks of ribose supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in male bodybuilders. Subjects were randomly assigned to a placebo (dextrose) and ribose group (10 g/d in powder form). Each subject participated in a heavy-resistance training program designed to increase skeletal muscle mass. Body composition was assessed via dual X-ray absorptiometry analysis (DEXA). One repetition maximum strength (bench press) and the total number of repetition performed during 10 consecutive sets (1-min rest interval between sets) to muscular failure at a submaximal load for the bench press (100% of pre-test body weight) were ascertained. Additionally, 24-hour dietary recalls were obtained pre and post. There were no baseline differences between groups for any of the measured parameters. The ribose group experienced a significant pre-post increase (+29.8% ribose vs. +7.42% placebo) in the number of total repetitions performed for the 10 sets to muscular failure (p = 0.046; ribose pre-total reps - 24.80 + 14.35, post-total reps -32.20 + 14.79; placebo pre-total reps - 38.57 + 10.16, post-total reps - 41.43 + 9.91). There were no pre-post differences for any of the other measures. Thus, supplementation with ribose (10 g/d) for four weeks resulted in a significant increase in the number of total repetitions performed for 10 sets in the bench press exercise. Further research is needed to confirm these findings.
    ________

I...

No taking side here, but I wonder why this study has never become a full peer-reviewd article. The abstract relates to a poster presentation, which is NOT peer reviewed. Generally, when studies like that (with positive and significant results) are not being published as full-text peer-revewed papers, then it's very likely that there were some substantial methodological issues which could not be resolved.

The results are impressive to the point where they're hard to believe. The results of this trial also seem to go against what previous and even more recent literature has stated. The only way D-ribose is yielding these effects is through an ATP-specific mechanism (e.g., faster restoration between bouts). However, according to [J Appl Physiol. 2001 Nov;91(5):2275-81.], it doesn't do jack for ATP restoration and thusly has no effect on exercise performance. They were also using some 16 g/day.

The article from J Appl Physiol is an excellent paper. very well conducted study. (Just read the full text and was very pleased!).

Apparently, high levels of ribose (such as those 5 mMol as used in some animal studies) are needed to increase nucleotide and thus ATP production. oral ingestion of ribose (even of pretty high doses like 16g/d) yields only a fraction of those required levels (0.1 mMol) due to rapid hepatic conversion to glucose.

Man, I really have learned something new today!
    good stuff, cakedonkey!

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation

Alright, here's three abstracts that appear to be in favor of supplemental ribose in healthy humans.

Aside from the differences in dosage protocols, muscle fiber type may in fact be responsible for the lack of results seen so far. It appears as though the availability of intramuscular ribose is the limiting factor for the rate of resynthesis of ATP.....

The effects of four weeks of ribose supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in healthy, young, male recreational bodybuilders: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial

Accepted 22 May 2002. Available online 1 October 2002.

Background: Ribose is a pentose sugar that is present in ribonucleic acids, riboflavin, nucleotides, and adenosine triphosphate. Whether exogenous ribose administration affects skeletal muscle concentrations of total adenine nucleotides is unknown. Whether supplementation with ribose positively affects body composition or exercise performance in recreational bodybuilders also is unknown.

Objective: The purpose of this double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was to determine the effects of 4 weeks of ribose supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in healthy, young, male recreational bodybuilders.

Methods: Healthy, male recreational bodybuilders aged 18 to 35 years were recruited and randomized to a ribose-supplemented group (10 g/d in powder formulation) or a placebo group (dextrose). Each subject participated in a heavy-resistance training program designed to increase skeletal muscle mass. Body composition (ie, body weight, body fat, lean body mass, fat mass, and bone mineral content) was assessed using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry analysis. Muscular strength (as measured by a 1-repetition maximum-strength [1-RM] bench press) and total work performed (as measured by total repetitions for 10 sets of bench presses before muscular failure; 1-minute resting interval between sets) to muscular failure at a submaximal load (100% of pretest body weight) were ascertained. In addition, 24-hour dietary recalls were obtained before and after the study.

Results: Twenty men (mean age ? SE, 23.9 ? 1.4 years) were enrolled; 19 subjects completed 24-hour dietary recalls and exercise performance testing; 12 subjects completed the study (24-hour dietary recalls, exercise performance, and body composition). No baseline differences were found between the 2 groups for any of the measured parameters. The ribose-supplemented group experienced a significant pretreatment-to-posttreatment increase in the total work performed, whereas the placebo group did not change significantly (24.5 ? 7.6 to 29.3 ? 7.5 repetitions; 19.6% ribose [P = 0.028] vs 34.1 ? 8.6 to 38.2 ? 8.0 repetitions, 12.0% placebo). In addition, the ribose-supplemented group experienced a significant increase in 1-RM bench press strength, whereas the placebo group did not change significantly (114.1 ? 13.6 to 117.7 ? 14.0 kg, 3.2% ribose [P = 0.008] vs 129.6 ? 14.2 to 131.8 ? 14.5 kg, 1.7% placebo). No pretreatment-to-posttreatment within-group or between-group differences were found for any of the measures of body composition or the 24-hour dietary data.

Conclusion: The results of this study indicate that supplementation with ribose 10 g/d for 4 weeks resulted in significant increases in muscular strength and total work performed in recreational bodybuilders in this study, although no significant changes in body composition or 24-hour dietary data were found. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...744ad9d6aa94de

Ribose administration during exercise: Effects on substrates and products of energy metabolism in healthy subjects and a patient with myoadenylate deaminase deficiency

Received: 27 June 1990 Revised: 26 October 1990 Accepted: 20 December 1990

Summary Nine healthy men and a patient with myoadenylate deaminase deficiency were exercised on a bicycle ergometer (30 minutes, 125 Watts) with and without oral ribose administration at a dose of 2 g every 5 minutes of exercise. Plasma or serum levels of glucose, free fatty acids, lactate, ammonia and hypoxanthine and the urinary hypoxanthine excretion were determined. After 30 minutes of exercise without ribose intake the healthy subjects showed significant increases in plasma lactate (p<0.05), ammonia (p<0.01) and hypoxanthine (p<0.05) concentrations and a decrease in serum glucose concentration (p<0.05). When ribose was administered, the plasma lactate concentration increased significantly higher (p< 0.05) and the increase in plasma hypoxanthine concentration was no longer significant. The patient showed the same pattern of changes in serum or plasma concentrations with exercise with the exception of hypoxanthine in plasma which increased higher when ribose was administered. http://www.springerlink.com/content/ul100240544177g2/

Effect of ribose supplementation on resynthesis of adenine nucleotides after intense intermittent training in humans

Submitted 30 May 2003 ; accepted in final form 24 September 2003

The effect of oral ribose supplementation on the resynthesis of adenine nucleotides and performance after 1 wk of intense intermittent exercise was examined. Eight subjects performed a random double-blind crossover design. The subjects performed cycle training consisting of 15 x 10 s of all-out sprinting twice per day for 7 days. After training the subjects received either ribose (200 mg/kg body wt; Rib) or placebo (Pla) three times per day for 3 days. An exercise test was performed at 72 h after the last training session. Immediately after the last training session, muscle ATP was lowered (P < 0.05) by 25 ? 2 and 22 ? 3% in Pla and Rib, respectively. In both Pla and Rib, muscle ATP levels at 5 and 24 h after the exercise were still lower (P < 0.05) than pretraining. After 72 h, muscle ATP was similar (P > 0.05) to pretraining in Rib (24.6 ? 0.6 vs. 26.2 ? 0.2 mmol/kg dry wt) but still lower (P < 0.05) in Pla (21.1 ? 0.5 vs. 26.0 ? 0.2 mmol/kg dry wt) and higher (P < 0.05) in Rib than in Pla. Plasma hypoxanthine levels after the test performed at 72 h were higher (P < 0.05) in Rib compared with Pla. Mean and peak power outputs during the test performed at 72 h were similar (P > 0.05) in Pla and Rib. The results support the hypothesis that the availability of ribose in the muscle is a limiting factor for the rate of resynthesis of ATP. Furthermore, the reduction in muscle ATP observed after intense training does not appear to be limiting for high-intensity exercise performance. http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/co...act/286/1/R182
    ~

Wherever progression lacks.... regress can be found in abundance.

Registered User Cable Curling CincoUno's Avatar
    Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cable Curling CincoUno is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    interesting thread. thanks for all that contributed although it seems this thread leaves me more confused then it did before i opened it