Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) adam-da-bod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lol @ this thread...
    The O.P. was answered very early on, yet people are still arguing...

- bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/pullups - I have always called the palm out/away grip, chin ups. Because if you look at the picture, his chin just clears the bar due to the wider grip. (But, I understand most call this a pull up, due to the fact that if you are going to pull yourself up onto something, you would use this grip.) Also, if you look at the pretty pictures and watch the all so interesting video, it looks to me that his back is under more stress vs the palm in grip.

- bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/chin-up - I always called the palm in grip, pull ups. Because it seems to me that you can pull yourself up higher using this grip due to the narrow grip. If you look again to the pictures and video, you will see that his biceps do seem to be under more stress vs the palms out/away grip.

For those of you who know how to read the Pullup/chin-up Guide those links so nicely provide, you will notice that there IS a difference in how the exercises are to be properly executed. The chin-up (Palm in grip) guide tells you to squeeze your biceps at the climax of the exercise, while the pullup (Palm out/away grip) does not...

Now, that the O.P. question has been adequately addressed in my personal opinion, I suggest all those who are still finding a reason to argue over this topic find a new topic to troll and give their life meaning. They could also stop spending so much time on the computer and go hit weights a bit more.
    Life's hard, be harder!

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by adam-da-bod View Post
    bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/pullups - I have always called the palm out/away grip, chin ups. Because if you look at the picture, his chin just clears the bar due to the wider grip.
    Interesting reasoning. I don't agree with 1 or the other, but this is fuel to simply abandon these terms referring to grip and name it after the anatomical terms for the grip themselves (pro-up/sup-up).

I understand most call this a pull up, due to the fact that if you are going to pull yourself up onto something, you would use this grip
    Wouldn't that be a reason to call them "pull-ons"? People can use the supine grip (or neutral) to climb ropes, or tree branches, so that's an exception. This prone generalization is more related to climbing onto walls where something is thick and you can't hold onto an opposite face.

if you look at the pretty pictures and watch the all so interesting video, it looks to me that his back is under more stress vs the palm in grip.
    Interesting but how does that relate to the naming?

bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/chin-up - I always called the palm in grip, pull ups. Because it seems to me that you can pull yourself up higher using this grip due to the narrow grip.
    Wouldn't this be a reason to call them pull-highs?

If you look again to the pictures and video, you will see that his biceps do seem to be under more stress vs the palms out/away grip.
    Appearances could be deceiving though. People often have a lot of form and muscle recruitment variation when using an identical grip, too. We need only look at how someone doing narrow supine grip barbell rows can pull the bar to their forehead or to their pelvis to understand how much variation there can be in the midst of simulaneous elbow flexion and shoulder extension occuring to varying degrees.

For those of you who know how to read the Pullup/chin-up Guide those links so nicely provide, you will notice that there IS a difference in how the exercises are to be properly executed. The chin-up (Palm in grip) guide tells you to squeeze your biceps at the climax of the exercise, while the pullup (Palm out/away grip) does not...
    Eh, that's just one author's interpretation of it.

Now, that the O.P. question has been adequately addressed in my personal opinion, I suggest all those who are still finding a reason to argue over this topic find a new topic to troll and give their life meaning. They could also stop spending so much time on the computer and go hit weights a bit more.
    While there's some truth here, I dispute the term 'troll'.

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i prefer to actually do chinups and pullups rather than type on and on about them.

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tomsfish View Post
    i prefer to actually do chinups and pullups rather than type on and on about them.
    [img] http://hacksocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/********-Thumbs-Up.jpg[/img]
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    True that!

I do reverse grip chinups for back...
    and then reverse close grip pullups for biceps...
    --
    Knows a trial lawyer who knows how to defend himself in an online forum.

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nah I'd rather complain about what people call them.

Those stupid fukkers!

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Oh forgot about this thread. So glad someone pulled it up from the 1 star archives.

It reminds me, it's about time for Tyciol's neg again. Just in time for the holidays.

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    Nah I'd rather complain about what people call them.

Those stupid fukkers!
    Hah.

I'm doing both on separate workouts.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000) GymShowerNap is just really nice. (+1000)
    Chin ups train biceps, and back thickness.

Pullups train biceps and lat wideness.

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xuerebx View Post
    Hah.

I'm doing both on separate workouts.
    Wiser werds were never said.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I now do pullups because my damn biceps tendon won't let me do chinups. That is all.

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    I now do pullups because my damn biceps tendon won't let me do chinups. That is all.
    Coward.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by GymShowerNap View Post
    Chin ups train biceps, and back thickness. Pullups train biceps and lat wideness.
    Cool. Wouldn't want to waste a neg on this.

alexsolomon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexsolomon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lol people ****ing love arguing about this one. Pull ups and Chins are both important for full development.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    neutral grip allows easiest contraction of pulling the arms to the back. Supinated grip allows for more arm endurance through biceps alignment. Pronated grip makes arm/back contraction in horizontal cross-line to body, making teres major work more.

THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THCshellshock is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Pull ups and Chin ups are the same thing, except for douche bags on the internet insist that some how "pull" and "chin" distinguish one from another....lol. In which version are you not pulling? And in which version does your chin not go up?

Ready? Here's the deal.

One doesn't work biceps more than the other...

Though people SAY palms up chins do.
    I would have to disagree on both workig biceps, maybe one does moreso than another but sus pulls hit my niceps much more than pro
    rep for rep, pm with link

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Pronated grip makes arm/back contraction in horizontal cross-line to body, making teres major work more.
    Why does this happen Serp?

jetdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jetdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My technique is perhaps different than most on here, I prefer to have one hand in the 'chin up' position and one in the 'pull up' position, this way I am sure to cover all my bases...after reading this thread on chin/pull ups I am totally confused now, hahah.

11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10) 11201ny is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    New thread title: "Bored people with a definite lack of social life: 5 years of argument on a clarified subject."

This thread illustrates the problem with forums so perfectly. The subject is a small, once living bush that has been pissed on so many times it is now just a pond of piss and mud.

Originally Posted by jetdoc View Post
    My technique is perhaps different than most on here, I prefer to have one hand in the 'chin up' position and one in the 'pull up' position, this way I am sure to cover all my bases...
    That gets called mixed grip. Is it right to assume you switch the hands up between sets?

qudoz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Lightbulb

Hey, long time lurker here, finally signed up. I know this thread was very heated and I found it an interesting read but just today I found some evidence in the form of a journal paper to support the theory that chin-ups (or reverse grip pull-ups!) do put more stress on the biceps than pull-ups do.

As a noob I'm not allowed to post links but if you google for "Surface Electromyographic Activation Patterns and Elbow Joint Motion During a Pull-Up, Chin-Up, or Perfect-Pullup™ Rotational Exercise" you should be able to find it.

And the bit that's of interest is:
    "The pectoralis major and biceps brachii had significantly higher EMG activation during the chin-up than during the pull-up..."

So there you go

KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KikiMagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    after all,best to combine both

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by KikiMagic View Post
    after all,best to combine both
    I used to think that, but now I only do chin-ups and muscle-ups. I found there to be more stress on the elbow in pull-ups compared to chin-ups. Even though it's claimed chin-ups use more muscles, my maxes have been the same 2x135.

Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    12-19-2006, 01:34 pm

reftis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

answer

Originally Posted by The Brotherhood View Post
    Thanks for the link. Heres the table of the results from that article

Correct me If im wrong, but the myoelectric activity show in the table for palms facing front vs reverse IS different, and is showing up as higher for the Lats in the palms facing forward and higher for the Biceps in the palms facing (Reverse). Why they conclude that it has no effect I dont understand, when the readings clearly show a difference?

EDIT: this is also for pulldowns. Pullups =! pulldowns. There will be a change in everything because of the leverage and angles involved.
    The data shows that there is some differnce, but not enough to be statistically significant to determine that there is a difference at any reasonable level of confidence
    Optimum life, optimum nutrition!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    This thread should have ended at post #3.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733