digdug89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I have achieved a skinny-fat state, help!

ok well im only 16 and i only weigh 120 pounds. im 5'7". I was in atheletics until my sophmore year (last year) and ever since i quit atheletics i have been getting fat on my tummy. Even when i was in atheletics, the fat on my stomach would not go away. ive always wanted a six pack but i do not know how to get rid of the top layer of fat on my stomach to make it show through. According to body-fat calculators, im only 11% bodyfat because my waist is only 28 inches. Its weird, im skinny yet fat.. blah. What are exercises/cardio i can do to get rid of it? Its sort of a thin layer except directly around/below my bellybutton, around there it gets a little thick. I know i have a six pack under the fat because if i press hard on it while i flex i can feel the muscles. I have the line down the middle of my stomach but none across. please help!

phreaks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Keep in mind that getting abs is not just a matter of dropping body-fat and doing crunches, genetics are involved as well. Some people may have a bf% in the single digits and still not look "ripped" like the guys you see in the photos.

Becoming active again would help you in your goals, and seeing as your "skinny fat", I would recommend hitting the weights to get some lean mass growing on you.

Diet plays a huge role in getting lean mass and staying ripped, I would recommend looking at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71 for info and tips from Derek Charlesboi and ChuckRD.

IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The good news is that you're only 16, so you have plenty of time to change your physique! Let's get you started on a solid weightlifting routine to build the muscle and, in turn, help you lose this skinny-fat look.

I honestly believe the best course of action is a simple one. Read the sticky threads here on bb.com and get started lifting weights. I don't mean just doing crunches for the abs, but begin a complete weightlifting routine that focuses on all areas of the body. Remember, all the crunches and sit ups in the world are probably not going to be as effective as a solid and complete weightlifting routine will. I believe you should really focus on putting on some muscle. At the very least, perform some basic but important lifts such as the squat, deadlift, dips, pullups, rows, military press, and perhaps bench press.

I would begin eating fairly big if I were you, but keep it relatively healthy. I'm not a big fan of recommending strict diets to people who are under 18, and I actually don't even think something super strict is necessary. Try to eat clean most of the time, but I think you'll be fine if you have some pizza or burgers once in a while.

Try to get eat some of the following foods very often: eggs, egg whites, chicken, lean beef, oats, brown rice, natural peanut butter, milk, peanuts, and lots of water!

Again, just start looking around on this forum and reading more about weightlifting. You can put together a basic routine, or try one of the pre-built programs such as MAX-OT.