Supplement/Cardio Junkie bulletman's Avatar
    bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10)

skip biceps and tricep isolation ?!?!

I'm sure this wouldn't fly with the younger crowd, but I'm thinking since I am a newbie, and I'm having a bout of tendinitis (getting better every day thank you), if as I ease back into my upper body workout I might leave out bicep and tricep isolation for a few weeks (maybe longer). (probably at least another few weeks before I get to restarting upper body though)

After all, they are hit secondarily by a lot of other exercises (benches, rows, etc). I'm just tryign to figure the best way to avoid re-activating the tendinitis and still get a good groove going. Or maybe go heavy, low reps with the compound exercises, and really light on the bi's and tri's until I am so far out of the woods that I forgot what tendonitis felt like.

I'm convinced it was the pressdowns and curls that really triggered it.
    -----
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity - lick it once and you suck forever." - author unknown

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The book New Rules for Lifting skips isolation exercises altogether. I have done two workouts from the book and so far my triceps and biceps are still well-exercised.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KALIMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I dont see why not. You always need to find ways to workout around injuries. I have had to do this this will an elbow injury a few years ago.I just took 2 months off from all direct bi and tri work.And i had to be careful with pressing movements so i had to keep them alittle lighter in the 10-12 rep range and i was good to go.And i doubt you will lose much if any size at all as long as your diet is good.
    You will lose some of your strength when you get back to those iso exercises but it will return in no time.
    Its better to continue training and just work around the injuries then continue training the injured area and then be off for a long time with a more serious injury.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jtroster
    The book New Rules for Lifting skips isolation exercises altogether. I have done two workouts from the book and so far my triceps and biceps are still well-exercised.
    Ha! I should check out that book... I hate working my arms. They always get shortchanged as fars as sets and reps. The most I can muster myself to doing is 3 or 6 sets of bis and tris maybe once a week. I try doing them after back and chest or shoulders, but I run out of steam. And yet, I've still managed to get them up to 17" cold flexed.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am working on a book review to post here. Look for it by next week. (I'm a slow writer)
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Excellent! I'll look forward to it. It retails for $25.95 but I can get it for $15.97 One of the benefits of working for the distribution center of a huge bookstore chain.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jtroster
    I am working on a book review to post here. Look for it by next week. (I'm a slow writer)
    Hurry up and git 'er done, will ya!

Now ya got me thinking I should pick up some books. "New Rules of Lifting", "Men's Health: The Book of Muscle" and "Men's Health Home Workout Bible: A Do-It-Yourself Guide to Burning Fat and Building Muscle" all look interesting.
    -----
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity - lick it once and you suck forever." - author unknown

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

If y'all are looking for books, look on Ebay first, then Amazon. You'll be surprised at what you can find DIRT cheap on Ebay for books. I add a few to my collection now and then from there and spend less than $10 for them delivered.

I only do 6 sets of isolation stuff, you are correct in thinking that they're getting hit pretty good on your compound movements. I do no more than this and I'm closing in quickly on 18" arms.

Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bulletman
    Hurry up and git 'er done, will ya!

Now ya got me thinking I should pick up some books. "New Rules of Lifting", "Men's Health: The Book of Muscle" and "Men's Health Home Workout Bible: A Do-It-Yourself Guide to Burning Fat and Building Muscle" all look interesting.
    I highly recommend The Book of Muscle, it is excellent. One of the co-authors, Lou Shuler is also co-author on the book jtroster is following, New Rules of Lifting.

Originally Posted by GREENFEATHER
    If y'all are looking for books, look on Ebay first, then Amazon.
    Yeah, I was looking at Amazon, Ebay is great, but you wind up frequently getting killed by shipping and handling.
    -----

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Exclamation

Do a search for bodybuilding. If they want an arm and a leg for shipping, pass and keep an eye out. In order for Amazon to be a good deal you have to spend $100 to get the free shipping deal. Next month everyone will be selling off all of their fitness goodies at a loss. I buy lots of stuff right now, then sell it off right before Christmas. The Bowflex machines I sold 2 years ago have changed hands 3 times since I sold them, lol!!

MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkY is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Minotaur
    Ha! I should check out that book... I hate working my arms. They always get shortchanged as fars as sets and reps. The most I can muster myself to doing is 3 or 6 sets of bis and tris maybe once a week. I try doing them after back and chest or shoulders, but I run out of steam. And yet, I've still managed to get them up to 17" cold flexed.
    I just received this book last week from Amazon. I just started chapter 15 where he writes about the workouts. I think I'm going to give this program a good honest try and see if I'm getting any results in a few months.
    Mark

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I feel unless you are blessed with great arm genetics to begin with some Bicep and Tricep work has to be done.

While I agree 100% they do get worked well with the compound movements, most folks will need some isolation work.

3 work sets for Biceps and 3 for Triceps...Then walk away.

Of course after you heal up Bullet I recommend when working arms using a one week high rep, next low.

BTW: For those of you who can get arm growth with directly training them..I am jealous
    Psalm 121

David220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) David220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) David220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) David220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) David220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) David220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) David220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Should be an interesting read.
    Goals for '07: 18" arms; 280lb max bench
    Present: 17" arms; 250lb max bench

jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmurjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just to throw in my .02, My arms for the most part only get hit on back and chest day. Occasionally I might shock them with a dedicated arm blast day but only once every few months. It seems like for detail for comps you need the arm day but otherwise not. I guess the truth will be told for me as I cut down in weight and see whats really there. So maybe my opinion will change in a few months
    Failure = Growth ! IMO of course

vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vja2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bulletman; an old Universtiy of Florida study concluded that mass can be maintained by working the muscle once per week. Since you do not live near the almighty Florida Gators - the world famous second half football team, you probably aren't fully aware of the quality information and products that have come out of the University of Florida over the years. While most people are familiar with Gator football, most people do not know they also have a world class gymnastics program. What comes out of this university with respect to sports is usually pretty solid.

If I lived in Upstate New york, I might be inclined to ask Boeheim what he thinks, but I don't think I'd ask anyone else

So, I would have to say that you can probably get by with one day a week of moderate training and be just fine...

Vince