Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    schlopster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lat pull downs vs. Pull ups

Just curious as to what you guys think is better for building some serious mass on your lats. Recently i switched to pulldowns from pull ups. Ever since i switched my stretch marks have opened back up on my lats and some serious size has ensued. What I am wondering though i do 4 sets of 8, then i do 3 sets of 8 one arm pull downs, then go back with 3 sets of 10 wide grip. Does a wide grip beat a narrower one for lat development ?? I have definatly noticed some huge gains on my lats recently but I want more of a wing span look to them. Any Ideas fellas?

wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've found most people develop better back with pull ups rather than pull downs. But if this is working for you, then keep doing it!

Wide grip - upper lat

narrow grip - lower lat
    IG: waldronconstruction

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you are able to do pullups it trumps the lat pulldown. Try and add weight and lower the reps and your back will grow. I owe all my back mass to pullups.

TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000)
    I prefer doing lat pull downs, simply because pullups are not enough resistance any more, and I don't have a belt that can weight me down. Besides, I actually enjoy lat pull downs, and they seem to be less dependent upon your biceps unlike pullups.
    beepbeepimaJew

1k+

Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pullups,

If they get easy, strap weight to yourself.

ploter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    PULLUPS!!!!

try this arm position.

if your pullup bar is on a flat horizontal plane position your arms at one o clock on the clock face for your left side and 11 o clock for your right side. Concentrate on doing most of the pulling with the arm that points to 12 on the clock ie the arm that is straight up. this is like a one handed pullup.

also really go slow on the negative ie the lowering part of the move.

my lats feel sore just thinking of this.

best wishes,

-p

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by schlopster View Post
    Just curious as to what you guys think is better for building some serious mass on your lats. Recently i switched to pulldowns from pull ups. Ever since i switched my stretch marks have opened back up on my lats and some serious size has ensued. What I am wondering though i do 4 sets of 8, then i do 3 sets of 8 one arm pull downs, then go back with 3 sets of 10 wide grip. Does a wide grip beat a narrower one for lat development ?? I have definatly noticed some huge gains on my lats recently but I want more of a wing span look to them. Any Ideas fellas?
    Pull-ups at the start of a workout when fresh and lat pulldowns later in a workout. Pulldowns are more effective IMO when you're starting to fatigue since they allow for more volume with heavier weight.

Passing you on a CBR600RR eazyrid3r's Avatar
    eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazyrid3r will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The problem with lat pull downs is the gym is full of cheaters
    Filthy, Dirty, Low Down Cheaters
    If your back isn't PERFECTLY perpendicular to the floor, you are cheating, period
    Leaning back like you are on the couch getting a BJ is not how to execute a lat pull down

The beautiful thing about pullups is that it is difficult to cheat unless you are frog kicking like you just escaped a submarine and struggling for air

Locking your legs during pull ups (I cross my legs and lock the knees) ensures there is zero cheating.

Even harder: Do a leg raise before you start your pull up set and hold you legs straight and parallel to the floor, start set

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wala View Post
    I've found most people develop better back with pull ups rather than pull downs. But if this is working for you, then keep doing it!

Wide grip - upper lat

narrow grip - lower lat
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    Pull-ups at the start of a workout when fresh and lat pulldowns later in a workout. Pulldowns are more effective IMO when you're starting to fatigue since they allow for more volume with heavier weight.
    Agree with both.

OP though, if you didn't change your grip and pulldowns work better for you, then by all means keep doing them.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by eazyrid3r View Post
    If your back isn't PERFECTLY perpendicular to the floor, you are cheating, period
    Leaning back like you are on the couch getting a BJ is not how to execute a lat pull down
    Leaning back can stimulate the muscles in a different way and provide variety.

Sure, people cheat themselves the majority of the time, but the exercise variation you criticise can be valuable, just like 1/2 squats can be valuable etc.

And I sometimes do my pullups with my back nearly horizontal to the floor, just for variety/challenge

OP many find pullups work better for them, but you shouldn't discount the value of variety over time, and if pulldowns work best for you, there's nothing wrong with that.

Actually, you mention one arm pulldowns, I started playing around with them last week or the week before, how do you perform them?

They feel GREAT on my lats, definitely more so than in conventional chins/pullups, maybe equal to parallel grip ring chinups, but different in feel of course.
    Last edited by Duckenheimer; 10-25-2007 at 10:13 AM.
    Interested in investing in militarizing poultry? Based in our Southernmost continent, no local taxes, no laws to worry about, guaranteed return! PM for further details

schlopster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I appreciate hearing all of your guys opinions on the matter, I personally just was not getting burns from pullups anymore, on top of that i seemed to be fatiguing my biceps and almost hurting my shoulders. Someone commented on leaning back, I never cheat when I do them on some of my burnouts I go behind the head too despite numerous people saying how bad it is..... When watching Ronnie Coleman train on some of his vids he actually leans back quite far. So does he just not know what he is doing? :P

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

The beautiful thing about pullups is that it is difficult to cheat unless you are frog kicking like you just escaped a submarine and struggling for air
    Pullups are clearly not immune from cheating.

So it makes no sense to bash the exercise, criticize the form of the individual doing it. Lat pulldowns can easily morph into half-assed ego rows like you said, but when it comes to strictly targeting the lats, performed correctly in the vertical plane they're obviously very effective.

Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wrong.

schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50) schweefy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Lift2010 View Post
    wrong.
    X5

BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500) BreakingPoint8 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by schlopster View Post
    Wide-Grip & Narrow-Grip Pull-Ups dominates all for lat development.

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    for bodybuilding purposes it does not make much difference if the exercise is closed or open chain. of course doing BOTH will yeild the best results but...

from Paul Chek:

"In bodybuilding, the concept of open and closed chain is far less relevant
    because there is no athletic component to bodybuilding; the goal being to
    have the biggest muscles, the best proportions and a good posing routine.

Bodybuilders can benefit greatly from this information though, as alternating
    between open and closed chain exercises serves to more fully develop both the
    nervous system and musculature due to the variety of recruitment patterns
    needed."
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    a poster in another thread mentioned getting a full stretch at the top of every repetition, i found that helped alot.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pull-ups at the start of a workout when fresh and lat pulldowns later in a workout.
    Exactly what I do and I feel that makes the pulldowns more effective. They hurt more anyway and I like that...

Try hammer grip pullups as well. Lotsa of fun.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mlsde886 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Locking your legs during pull ups (I cross my legs and lock the knees) ensures there is zero cheating.

Even harder: Do a leg raise before you start your pull up set and hold you legs straight and parallel to the floor, start set

i agree with this man

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    x2.

My first movement is usually weighted pullups. Lat pull-downs are generally third or fourth.

People say that they both are equally effective and mimic the same movement. IMO, it's a bunch of hogwash.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i switched em up every 5-7 weeks.
    Hello

buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mlsde886 View Post
    i agree with this man
    your wrong.

unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Both. Don't be so closed minded as to thinking that one is better than the other. They both work differently and it depends on a variety of factors.

IMO if you lean back on lat pulldowns, you really target the lats. Whereas strict form pull-ups, lats are definately utilized but I wouldn't say they target the lats the best.

OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OrdoAbchao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jimjunkie View Post
    you're wrong.
    Fixed: Now you're right.

wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wala is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    WTF?

... morons
    IG: waldronconstruction

Registered User smellslikeshoes's Avatar
    smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smellslikeshoes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Obvious answer is do both.

DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im impressed by the guy in the vid doing 67 kipping pullups but i do strict form

as far as lat pulldowns, i don't think leaning back makes much of a difference so long as you arent using any lean back momentum to move the weight, if you are leaned back at the beginning and the end of the rep then your form was strict and you were just targeting the exercise in a different way. I lean back with strict form on wide grip.
    Never put your head down.

Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well for those in the video, their training might be totally different from ours. we want wide/thick lats, they might want explosiveness or something.
    Hello

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SunilBassi View Post
    If you are able to do pullups it trumps the lat pulldown. Try and add weight and lower the reps and your back will grow. I owe all my back mass to pullups.
    He just said he used to do pullups - then started doing pulldowns - and his lats grew.

So let me follow your logic through here. You want him to...STOP what worked for him? Ok...

Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    for bodybuilding purposes it does not make much difference if the exercise is closed or open chain. of course doing BOTH will yeild the best results but...

from Paul Chek:

"In bodybuilding, the concept of open and closed chain is far less relevant
    because there is no athletic component to bodybuilding; the goal being to
    have the biggest muscles, the best proportions and a good posing routine.

Bodybuilders can benefit greatly from this information though, as alternating
    between open and closed chain exercises serves to more fully develop both the
    nervous system and musculature due to the variety of recruitment patterns
    needed."
    I never really gave that thought but I guess it serves a purpose. Thx for the informative post!

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wala View Post
    WTF?

... morons
    Cross-fit live in there own world.