barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein Absorption?

So how much protein can our bodies absorb at one time? If I have a protein drink with 50 grams in it, am I wasting the calories of the 25 g that my body could not absorb. Realizing that everyone is different. Looking for a ball park. Thank you

russiandoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There has been extensive research done on this subject. For women, most articles say, our bodies can assimilate 25g of protein max per meal. This of course depends on the body size, lbm, other biological factors. If you consume more than your body can assimilate, the rest is either used for energy, or whatever is left over is stored as fat. My suggestion would be,if consuming more than 25g of protein per meal to not go too high on fat and carbs in the same meal, that way your body does not store excess protein as fat.
    5'2
    114lb
    17%bf

just doin it! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just doin it! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just doin it! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just doin it! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just doin it! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just doin it! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just doin it! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just doin it! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just doin it! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why do they bother to make protien powders with 45 grams of it then? I mean, when I combine it with milk that makes 56 grams of protien, what a waste and a potential fat storer!
    the body can acheive what the mind can believe

luv2live has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) luv2live has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) luv2live has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) luv2live has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    (flipping through mental rolodex to try and recall the source for this)

The studies I've read actually said the body can absorb around 30g of just whey protein, by itself, with no other nutrition in the stomach at the same time.

Longer digesting proteins, proteins ingested with fats, etc. allow for more absorption of the protein from the meal. For example, if you eat a steak with 50g of protein and 15g of fat you don't waste the extra protein. The protein will be absorbed at a slower rate so the body can break all of it down and use it to the fullest of it's bioavailability. Adding whey to milk can slow the absorbtion rate enough to reap the benefit of the higher servings as long as you don't go crazy.

Sidebar: Some people report horrible stomach cramps and gas when they ingest to much whey at one time or to much over the course of a day.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hmm well I have to say I have read the opposite.... as far as I am aware, there is no conclusive proof as to how much protein the body can digets in one sitting. From memory, all studies that have been done on it have been flawed in various ways so there is basically no exact answer, because as another poster pointed out, it depends on a variety of factors.

rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou
    Hmm well I have to say I have read the opposite.... as far as I am aware, there is no conclusive proof as to how much protein the body can digets in one sitting. From memory, all studies that have been done on it have been flawed in various ways so there is basically no exact answer, because as another poster pointed out, it depends on a variety of factors.
    Bump to that. It's ridiculous to prescribe a "max absorbed number" for everyone. There's me, a 96 pound lightweight, and other guys on the site, 6 foot behemoths.

Also, how would we have survived in evolutionary history if we could only use 30g of protein in a sitting? What about the rest of the antelope (or whatever animal)? Your body is too smart to throw out everything past a certain number.
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=527284

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

FeMMisc SPA #5

luv2live has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) luv2live has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) luv2live has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) luv2live has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rockstarsar
    Bump to that. It's ridiculous to prescribe a "max absorbed number" for everyone. There's me, a 96 pound lightweight, and other guys on the site, 6 foot behemoths.

Also, how would we have survived in evolutionary history if we could only use 30g of protein in a sitting? What about the rest of the antelope (or whatever animal)? Your body is too smart to throw out everything past a certain number.

Nutrient absorption isn't so much dependent on a person's size as it is available receptor sites and transports. As for the caveman's ability to absorb protein, I doubt he ever had an isolate whey protein to drink. Proteins are different in their natural state (the steak example). We use isolate whey/protein drinks for fast absorption, they aren't designed to sit in the gut for a long time. Things like this are broken down quickly and absorbed, converted, or excreted. I don't think anyone prescribed a set number for everyone. Absorption studies allow for 25-35g for the average person so I averaged it to around 30 for the sake of ease. When you read the studies you have to first look at what protein is being studied.

ermo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ermo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ermo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ermo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Newbie on the board, but have lurked around for many months. I'd be interested in seeing some backup on both positions. One of my favorite meals (and I eat this just about everyday) is choc. protein pwdr, FF cott. chz, and sugar free preserves. This comes out to be close to 50g. I would hate for me to be "wasting" or "storing" excess protein. Thoughts?

aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50) aprilai will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i don't have any research to site but...

as far as i know, there is no certain grams of protein that your body can absorb in one meal.

there are many factors that depends on how many amino acids will be used for anabolism...such as LBM, the macro ratio of that meal, current health condition at that time, etc. i.e. before your body stores the protein as fat, it'll go through many processes for your body functions. if it's PWO then your body will need plenty of amino acids to repair muscle tissues, so the protein absorption rate for your muscles will be higher than at other 'regular' meals. now the rest that aren't needed for tissue repair at that moment, then it'll convert into glucose for energy storage. now unless you don't use the energy from that energy storage then you may gain fat. fat storage will still end up to be from excess CALORIES, not just excess protein.

protein is the most thermogenic of all the macronutrients. it has a thermogenic rate of approximately 20-30%, so it is the most 'calorie sparing' macro if you're on a restricted diet...one of the reasons why people on cutting diets go so high on protein, because it takes more energy to convert to fatty acids than carbs and fat.
    I WILL be an 18 year old hottie.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

Originally Posted by ermo18
    Newbie on the board, but have lurked around for many months. I'd be interested in seeing some backup on both positions. One of my favorite meals (and I eat this just about everyday) is choc. protein pwdr, FF cott. chz, and sugar free preserves. This comes out to be close to 50g. I would hate for me to be "wasting" or "storing" excess protein. Thoughts?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catprot.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html

Boirie, Y., et al., "Slow and Fast Dietary Proteins Differently Modulate Post-Prandial Protein Accretion," Proc Natl Acad Sci 94 (1997)

Dangin, M., et al., "The Digestion Rate of Protein Is an Independent Regulating Factor of Post-Prandial Protein Retention," Am J Physiol (Endocrinology & Metabolism) 280.2 (2001)

ermo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ermo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ermo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ermo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by luv2live
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catprot.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html

Boirie, Y., et al., "Slow and Fast Dietary Proteins Differently Modulate Post-Prandial Protein Accretion," Proc Natl Acad Sci 94 (1997)

Dangin, M., et al., "The Digestion Rate of Protein Is an Independent Regulating Factor of Post-Prandial Protein Retention," Am J Physiol (Endocrinology & Metabolism) 280.2 (2001)

Thanks!
    "Normal" people don't eat like this...

[url]www.myspace.com/ermo18[/url]

I.Natic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This topic just came up on another site i post on. I knew i had seen the article and forgot where.. Thanks Sherry

http://www.fitren.com/res3ask.cfm?compid=18&qaid=67
    Ileen :)

My journey [url]http://community.webshots.com/user/inatic[/url]

Originally Posted by I.Natic
    This topic just came up on another site i post on. I knew i had seen the article and forgot where.. Thanks Sherry

http://www.fitren.com/res3ask.cfm?compid=18&qaid=67
    the article is about digestion.. absorption and digestion are 2 different things, those arguing that there's a limit are talking about absorption of protein
    5'2
    114lb
    17%bf

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

digestion vs. absorption

Originally Posted by russiandoll
    the article is about digestion.. absorption and digestion are 2 different things, those arguing that there's a limit are talking about absorption of protein
    Yes, and tell me if I'm wrong (please!) but the two are somewhat related if one is taking in whey protein with a casein-based protein (i.e., cottage cheese)...wouldn't the slower digestion caused by the casein-based protein then afford the body the opportunity to digest more protein than the average?

Just curious...

Oh bless you! I was just to tired to argue anymore. I always prefer to see studies, etc. since anyone can write an article and stick it on the internet. Not that I am saying Lyle McDonald doesn't know his stuff, because the man has done some research, but it's always better, in my opinion, to back up such statements with real proof and quantify what you are defending. Sorry, that's another tangent isn't it.

Okay, back on track here. Athena, as I posted before, if you injest just whey the nitro studies show that the average body can't absorb more than 25-35 grams at one sitting. If you mix it with other things, or you comsume other slow digesting, absorbing foods with it (back to my steak example) your body has the foods longer thus the ability to digest and absorb is longer.
    Example: I eat a one pound steak. It takes my body several hours to completely digest this meal. Since absorption happens in the small intestine the steak is available for digestion and absorption for about 5-7 hours. Can my body use all of the protein from this meal for my muscles? Well, for the most part it can. Some of the infulencing factors are the bioavibility of the protein, my recent exercise/depletion of stores, other proteins recently digested/absorbed. If I don't workout at all but I chug down two 30g shakes of whey does my body need to push that right in to my muscles? Nope. I haven't done anything to need protein that fast in my muscles. SO what does my body do with that stuff? It converts it to glycogen, which can then be converted and stored for later use. Hmm, doesn't sound so bad right? Wrong. If I have it in reserve then what happens tomorrow when I want to chug two more shakes and go work out? Got lots of storage so why does my body need to tap in to it when you are providing me with more fast stuff?

Ahhh, we say, now I understand why everyone tells me not to chug all those whey protein shakes when I am just sitting on my butt. Now I understand why it is so important to chug one right after I work out and why I shouldn't add fats to it. See, post workout my muscles are sending messages to my brain saying, "Excuse me Mr. Brain, Mr. Brain, we're really low on energy here and we'd kinda like some more. We've got tons of trucks just waiting for you to give the okay to go get some aminos from Mr. Gut." So, post workout the muscles get fed. Now fast forward to that day where we didn't workout, didn't workout the day prior either, but still chugged tons of whey and took our aminos. Mr. Gut says he's got tons of protein where does he send it. Mr. Brain calls the head of the muscle department and asks if he's low. Muscles says, "Hell no boss, we are full right now. Stick it in the warehouse and we'll get it later." He,he guess where the warehouse is on most women...our hips, butts, and thighs. I've tried to relocate my to my chest...Lord knows I've tried, but the brain refuses to do a redesign. Something about zoning and paperwork. He said it'll cost me $10,000 to redesign. I don't have that kinda money and that much downtime. (humor over)

Now there are some steps and what ifs that I have left out so please feel free to ask away if this doesn't make sense. Better yet, research it and see what you come up with. When you research please remember that anyone can post an article on the internet. Use "real studies" to determine what's real and what isn't. Oh yeah, make sure the study subjects aren;t grossly different from you. IOW, if you read a study done on grossly obese people and you want to apply that same knowledge to losing your last 5 pounds, it may not work. I have cited the studies that cover most of this in a previous post.

Cliffnotes: If you choose to mix some whey with your other proteins it will slow the absorption rate. How much should you eat before your body just parks it on your butt? I don't know. My whey shakes, which I ONLY drink after my intense workout, are 25 grams and I add 15g of dextrose to spike my insulin to force a faster absorption in to the muscle where it is needed most. That's just me, do as you please. (wink and a grin)

I.Natic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for taking the time to explain that, it was a great explanation. The other inuendos in your post were not necessary
    Ileen :)

My journey [url]http://community.webshots.com/user/inatic[/url]

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    luv2live....I absolutely love your explanation...couldn't have done it better myself! If you eat low carb however, your body uses much of the extra protein for energy I believe, so you can get away with eating more protein and not gaining fat.

Originally Posted by mommy*2*3
    luv2live....I absolutely love your explanation...couldn't have done it better myself! If you eat low carb however, your body uses much of the extra protein for energy I believe, so you can get away with eating more protein and not gaining fat.

LOL Thanks!
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean regarding the low carb allowing for more protein?

rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by luv2live
    LOL Thanks!
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean regarding the low carb allowing for more protein?
    Glucneogenesis.
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=527284

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

FeMMisc SPA #5

Originally Posted by rockstarsar
    Glucneogenesis.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if we were talking about low GI carbs or just low carbs over all. That's digestion not really absorption in the sense of consuming it for muscle resupply.

If you choose to drop your carbs and replace them with more protein then yes it can be converted in to glucose to be used as energy. If you replace the lowered % of carbs with anything else it can/will be burned for fuel. Gluconeogenesis is actually the conversion of anything in to glucose so you can use fats to. The macro percentages are what counts, but this is really a separate topic. Bottom line is still, if your intake is more than your output the body can/will store it for later use. The fun is in balancing our percentages with our exercise and mass to find a good balance for our body.

Luv2live, you dont teach for a living, do you? your explanation is awesome
    5'2
    114lb
    17%bf

Luv2live, you dont teach for a living, do you? your explanation is awesome

Ha,ha, No I don't officially teach for a living.
    I joke that I'm very simple-minded so it's easy for me to explain things to others. I can't go over anyone's head 'cause I'm so simple! lol

I'm glad the explaination makes sense. Sometimes my thoughts don't come across the same way I intend them to. A few people have PMed me on this topic...I'm going to be traveling for a few weeks so if I don't reply to you it's because I don't have computer access. I don't want you to think I am ignoring you.