hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Sternum Hurting From Dips

Whenever I do heavy dips with around 45-50 lbs, my sternum hurts afterwards during the workout. Sometimes it even feels sore for a few days. Dips seems to be the only thing that hurts it. It even hurts when I do dips for my triceps and my body is completely vertical. I read somewhere about some type of "medical problem" that occrus with dips, but I thought it was only in the collarbone. What should I do? I love doing dips but this may be keeping me from going up to higher weight. Should I drop the dips for now or just work through the minor pain?

hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hosler83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump?

Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) Litfury is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bump, because this same things happens to me.

JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    Dips can put a lot of pressure on the sternoclavicular joints. This can be a real problem with poor form (I'll explain this) and trying to add too much weight too soon.

One of the keys to dipping safely is not allowing your shoulders to slump which puts more pressure on joints that connect the sternum to the collarbones along with the sternum itself. Keep the shoulders back by pushing the chest out and don't descend on a deflated chest. Breathe properly.

Here are some tips that have worked well for me (dipping 4 plates for reps @ 255 bw) and a list of where injuries can occur:

* don't dip below parallel (until you've got the flexibility)
    * breathe in as you descend to avoid lowering yourself on a deflated chest
    * keep your chest out and don't slump your shoulders
    * lower yourself under control and avoid dipping "to failure"
    * take your time increasing the weight and listen to your body (back the weight off or take a break from the exercise if you're experiencing soreness)
    Sternum. This involves the cartilage where the ribs connect to the sternum. Everyone experiences this one at some point, especially when starting out. Keep the chest filled with air on the way down, shoulders back, only dipping within the limits of your flexibility (for some this will be to parallel). Ease off the weight or put the exercise on hold if it persists.

Sternoclavicular joints. Pain in the collarbone area, specifically below the neck. Once again, chest filled with air and shoulders back so you're not dipping on a caved in chest which puts more stress on these joints. Go to a safe depth. If there's persistent pain there, back off the weight or drop the exercise for a while.

AC joint. This will feel manifest itself as persistent pain or tenderness in the front delt area. I've experienced it from dipping heavy for long periods without backing off. If you push it too hard a separation can occur. This is a common pressing injury and when it's serious it can put your training on ice for a long time.

Pec tendon. Pain at the front of the armpit. This is where the pec tendon inserts into the humerus. Pain there means "back the f*ck up." Very common on bench but also applies to dips, especially if you train them heavy at low reps. If it feels tender, you need to take a break from heavy pressing involving the chest. If you keep pushing it, the damage could range from a strained pec to a full rupture of the tendon, the latter usually requiring immediate surgery and you could be sidelined for 6 months.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hosler83 View Post
    Whenever I do heavy dips with around 45-50 lbs, my sternum hurts afterwards during the workout. Sometimes it even feels sore for a few days. Dips seems to be the only thing that hurts it. It even hurts when I do dips for my triceps and my body is completely vertical. I read somewhere about some type of "medical problem" that occrus with dips, but I thought it was only in the collarbone. What should I do? I love doing dips but this may be keeping me from going up to higher weight. Should I drop the dips for now or just work through the minor pain?
    Dips place heavy pressure on the sternoclavicular joint. Believe me, as I am currently recovering from such an injury.

Here's some information that Dominik once posted:

Dips can put a lot of pressure on the sternoclavicular joints. This can be a real problem with poor form (I'll explain this) and trying to add too much weight too soon.

One of the keys to dipping safely is not allowing your shoulders to slump which puts more pressure on joints that connect the sternum to the collarbones along with the sternum itself. Keep the shoulders back by pushing the chest out and don't descend on a deflated chest. Breathe properly.

Here are some tips that have worked well for me (dipping 4 plates for reps @ 255 bw) and a list of where injuries can occur:

* don't dip below parallel (until you've got the flexibility)
    * breathe in as you descend to avoid lowering yourself on a deflated chest
    * keep your chest out and don't slump your shoulders
    * lower yourself under control and avoid dipping "to failure"
    * take your time increasing the weight and listen to your body (back the weight off or take a break from the exercise if you're experiencing soreness)

Sternum. This involves the cartilage where the ribs connect to the sternum. Everyone experiences this one at some point, especially when starting out. Keep the chest filled with air on the way down, shoulders back, only dipping within the limits of your flexibility (for some this will be to parallel). Ease off the weight or put the exercise on hold if it persists.

Sternoclavicular joints. Pain in the collarbone area, specifically below the neck. Once again, chest filled with air and shoulders back so you're not dipping on a caved in chest which puts more stress on these joints. Go to a safe depth. If there's persistent pain there, back off the weight or drop the exercise for a while.

AC joint. This will feel manifest itself as persistent pain or tenderness in the front delt area. I've experienced it from dipping heavy for long periods without backing off. If you push it too hard a separation can occur. This is a common pressing injury and when it's serious it can put your training on ice for a long time.

Pec tendon. Pain at the front of the armpit. This is where the pec tendon inserts into the humerus. Pain there means "back the f*ck up." Very common on bench but also applies to dips, especially if you train them heavy at low reps. If it feels tender, you need to take a break from heavy pressing involving the chest. If you keep pushing it, the damage could range from a strained pec to a full rupture of the tendon, the latter usually requiring immediate surgery and you could be sidelined for 6 months.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

cool thanx for the post reps for everyone... hopefully this pain will go away. I will back off the dips and let myself recover.

kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10) kronz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes. Very deep chest dips will place alot of strain on the shoulder girdle. I went as deep as I could physically go once (a fair bit below parrallel).

Sure I get get myself back up fairly easily, but this isn't the point.