40yroldgymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How's This Routine?

I have been lifting for almost a year now. I am 40 years old. I had to take two months off due to almost cutting the upper half of my hand off at work..I lost some size due to being off...but regained it back in a short time.I have been back for a couple of months.

Below is my new routine I will be switching to...comments and critiques needed. Thanks

Monday: Chest/Triceps

Inclined Bench Press 4X12, 10, 8, 6
    Declined Bench Press 3X10, 8, 6
    Weighted Dips 3X max

DB French Press 3X12, 10, 8
    Close Grip Bench Press 3X12, 10, 8

Tuesday: Legs/Calves

Squats 4X12, 10, 8, 6
    Leg Ext/Leg Press (Supersets) 3X12, 10, 8, 6
    Standing Calf Raises 4Xmax

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Back/Traps

Deadlifts 4X12, 10, 8, 6
    BB Row 3X 10-12
    Chins 3Xmax
    BB Shruggs 3X10-12

Friday: Shoulders/Biceps

Seated BB Press: 4X12, 10, 8, 6
    Lateral Raises/Frontal Raise (Supersets) 3X12, 10, 8

BB Curls 4X12, 10, 8, 6
    Preacher's Curls 2X8-10

Saturday/Sunday: OFF

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First, welcome to the board.

Here are some ideas:

DB French Press and Close Grip Bench Press are similar. Why not do one of these and Skullcrushers or cable pushdowns for a second tricep exercise?

Leg Day needs more hamstring work. I suggest doing seated or lying leg curls instead the of leg presses. Then you might alternate Leg Presses with Squats to get that exercise in.

You need something for rear delts on shoulder/bicep day such as rear lateral raise.

BB curls and Preacher Curls are similar. Try substituting Incline DB curls for variety.

BTW, a good web site for exercise suggestions is http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html Just click on the muscle.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome.

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Tyme Lymit??

Do you have a tyme lymit for your workout??

Just curious because of the way you have them arranged... Anyway, thys is my suggestion...

Back/Biceps

Deadlifts
    Pullups
    Shrugz
    One Arm DB Row
    Rear Delt DB Row
    45 Degree Incline Hammer DB Curls
    Reverse Barbell Forearm Curls

Chest/Triceps

Incline Bench Press
    Flat Bench Press
    Dips
    Dumbbell Kickbacks
    DB Pullover
    Incline DB Fly
    Lying Syde DB Laterals

Legs

Leg Extensions
    Squats
    Calf Raises
    Leg Press
    Barbell Forearm Curls

I start with Back because it gives my lower back tyme to recover between deadlyfts and squats...

Peace..~G
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    If the lifts you are using are working, go for it. I think you have some overlap in there but thats ok if it's what you want to do. The suggestion I'd make would be to spread out your squat and deadlift days farther. Maybe switch Squats to Monday and Chest to Tuesday. Then you'd have from Monday to Thursday to recover for deadlifts, and from Tuesday to Friday to recover between chest and shoulder days.

_BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) _BigJoe_ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

Originally Posted by 40yroldgymrat
    I had to take two months off due to almost cutting the upper half of my hand off at work..
    Gee I'm going to try this at work. Hey boss I almost cut myself I need two months off. ;-}

gdbear65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    GameDayDog doesn't like shoulders much

For shoulders I'd suggest:

seated db shoulder press
    seated inclined lateral raises
    cable rear delt flyes

for my shoulder day I also do an ISO exercise for triceps - usually rope pressdowns, which hit the medial head - I like to divide my triceps exercises between chest and shoulder days - on chest days I do triceps kickbacks - they hit the long head.

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool I Love Shoulders...

Huh?? I have the prettiest, most rounded, cannonball type delts in here.. ok.. I'm exaggerating.. but those who know me, know I'm known to thynk extremely highly of myself... & what's wrong with that.. If you don't love how you look, who will???

Anywayz... I included shoulder exercyses... Front delts will get worked with any pressing movement, - Incline or Flat DB presses.. ... I included a rear delt row in the back day.. and lying syde laterals - (the best deltoid isolation movement in the history of bodybuilding) - on chest day...

With those 3 movements, he'll have shoulders almost as good as myne in no tyme...

yeah, I'm styll talking trash... I really feel sooo small ryght now.. Gawd it sucks to be syck... Grrrr..

Peace..~G
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If the program is working well, stay with it.
    If there is weakness in the program, tell us what you think it is.
    If there is a particular bodypart is weak, fine tune that area of the program.
    My famous work quote:

I can live with a little pain and 18+" arms,
    I can't live with the pain of having little 14" arms

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'd go to 6 day cycle. I hate 7 days. Its counter productive, it's just easier to keep track of. The human body didn't evolve on a 7 day week. The human brain invented that. But that's just me, I know it's common to have Monday this, tuesday that. But that's not pushing the limit.

Watch, now someone will tell me R. Coleman does a 7 day week!
    Time To Re-Schedule

Enormous Green Rage Mnstr GSCampbell's Avatar
    GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm not an expert but here is my $0.02:

Monday:
    I do not care for declines and I think you should hit your lower chest just fine with dips. I might add flat DB press instead of declines.

Tuesday:
    I agree with jtroster that more direct hamstring work is needed.

Friday:
    I would add a DB curl and you could mix it up: alternating DB curls, incline DB curls, etc.

Looks good overall - keep it up!

GSC
    There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.