quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

smith machine...... again.

im not a noob so dont say "go free weights". ive been benching for a while and am finnaly starting to plateau out. Do you all think benchng using the smith machine for a few months would be a good change up? i figure when i decide to go back to free weights i can use light weight just to get my balance back. im looking for something to help my max. and no im not a fan of dumbell bench, just dont like it.

Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Im not much in to DB press either, I wasnt getting much joy out of my benching a couple weeks ago, so I jumped on the smith for lower pec routine, then go over to the cables for low cross overs and really tightened them up.
    Awesome burn!!!.
    Ive stuck to the incline press for my uppers but have also been pumping those up with blood with the cables straight afterwards.
    Ive packed in the flat bench altogeather for a while, so when I hit it again next month it might actually do something.

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Exclamation

yes you're 17.

yes you are a "n00bie".

yes use free weights.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no offense ive been lifting for half as long as you and have almost the same numbers. not to be rude.

IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by quakebks View Post
    no offense ive been lifting for half as long as you and have almost the same numbers. not to be rude.
    shut up

I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

i hope your mom is proud of you.

KingOfNorway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingOfNorway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    numbers don't mean jack **** if you don't have the exercise knowledge or experience to back it up.

Smith machine benching is bad on the shoulders.

hutch42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hutch42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not to mention it a completely unnatural motion since benching on a smith will have the bar move toward your feet as you press the bar up compared to the bar moving toward your head when you use free weights.

Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mike-311 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by hutch42 View Post
    not to mention it a completely unnatural motion since benching on a smith will have the bar move toward your feet as you press the bar up compared to the bar moving toward your head when you use free weights.
    Which is why its still good for lower pec work out, as long as you dont use to wider grip.
    No good for upper work.

Set after set of flye's upper, mid and lower done high rep can give a real nice pump, better than any Barbell chest movement provides.
    (that's just my opinion)

Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try a pre-exhausting movement like flyes before you bench press, try to keep your bench right where it is though. Do this for 3 or 4 weeks, then switch flat bench back to your first exercise. Should help bust through the plateau.
    Blue jays/Spartans/Colts

Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    BTW shut up, I don't know who you were talking too but I sincerely doubt that at 17 you look anything like either of those guys.
    Blue jays/Spartans/Colts

JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeySea is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KingOfNorway View Post

Smith machine benching is bad on the shoulders.
    If there is any reason not to use a smith machine this is it. I have only been lifting for a bit over a year, but the few times I have tried to flat bench / incline bench on the smith my shoulders felt unnatural.

DB's or BB should be the only two options. Smith machine is too sketchy for me.

panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) panic66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I use the smith machine for a number of exercises. I think you can get a better concentration on the muscle
    "Fitness is a journey not a destination"

"if you didn't have any bad workouts, then you would never have good ones either"- TwinPeak

"You probably don't think I can force this towel down your throat. But trust me I can. All the way." -Jack Bauer

Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i gurantee you dont look anything like him lol

POST SOME PICS
    IG = @ Bmur18 - Follow me and message for reps

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

wow..... um okay. i like how most of you rather try bash me than answer the question, especially the ones the same age as me. thats besides the point, yea i hadnt thought about the concentration it puts on the shoulders. also the effect of the bar going towards my feet shouldnt make that big of a difference should it? the angle is extremly slight. i could reverse the bench and have it work my upper chest anyways.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best thing for a newcomer is to use free weights.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

since ive been lifting for four years or so, do yall consider me new?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best thing for anybody is to use free weights.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Gettin My Swole On microrahsheen's Avatar
    microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't know, this is a n00bish question and you did try to compare numbers, but anyways....

DB Press would probably be better for helping your bench than Smith. It just seems obvious to me and I'm more of a noob than you.

The natural movement of the DB's and the fact that you will be working each side independently could help you develop and point out any areas that may be lacking...

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    The best thing for a newcomer is to use free weights.
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    The best thing for anybody is to use free weights.
    hahaha.

OP, you are a n00b, with a capital 0.

Ignore those who dis you and take from this thread wot you need.
    whining and trying to be staunch does not help your course.
    However it sounds as if Smith machine could be an answer but careful of the restriction it places on your shoulders.
    I know you said you dont like db press, but a few of us have highly recommended them it maybe the rythum breaker your looking for.
    Last edited by Mike-311; 09-30-2007 at 08:21 PM.