Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kazuma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Anyone use chains?

I noticed that westside barbell used chains and bands to pull on the bar.

I'm just wondering if this has worked well for beginners.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I admit I have never tried - however IMO all a beginner needs to worry about is the basics - don't be 'that guy'

EDIT 1 more post to go to 2000

IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
    I admit I have never tried - however IMO all a beginner needs to worry about is the basics - don't be 'that guy'

EDIT 1 more post to go to 2000
    Agreed on beginners. I would leave them out of things like bench press, squat, etc. in terms of using them for more/less resistance in certain parts of a rep. At least for now. Work on the basics as Matty said.

(Slightly off topic I think, but...) they can be useful however for other things. Here's an example (this exercise is fun by the way!):

immune to overtraining gollybegully's Avatar
    gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by IH8CARDIO View Post
    Agreed on beginners. I would leave them out of things like bench press, squat, etc. in terms of using them for more/less resistance in certain parts of a rep. At least for now. Work on the basics as Matty said.

(Slightly off topic I think, but...) they can be useful however for other things. Here's an example (this exercise is fun by the way!):

I need a workout partner like that dude on the right.
    I've been dying to try these for a long time. I just never got the chains. I'm thinking bands might be more convenient.
    The iron never lies

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't think beginners need to be doing dynamic training, which is a major use for chains/bands, but if you want to use them for your regular training they can definitely be beneficial.

One caution, though: bands in particular will beat you up way more than either chains or straight weight. Powerlifters usually do no more than 3 consecutive weeks of band work, often with 3 weeks each of chains and straight weight inbetween band cycles.

Edit: If I were a beginner, I would invest in chains and wait a while to get bands. Chains are more suited to beginners, and not only because of the increased stress bands cause.
    Last edited by rockhuddy; 08-08-2007 at 01:05 PM.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    havent used chains but i did tie a rope that hung a 10 lb weight on each side of the bench and when i was half way up with the rep the weight would come off the floor. talk about a sticking point lol. similar method to chains except the resistance is sudden and not progressive.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000) Ex-Terminator is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sure, I use chains.....

Trump 2016!

Founder: "No Tattoos" Crew

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I use both chains and bands. However, you should have a solid foundation first. And as a previous posted noted, the bands will wear you out even more than the chains, assuming you are using them properly.

AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i kinda think of chains and bands as an advanced training technique, ive never tried them but i view them as a means to increase an already strong bench or w/e else.
    If you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all.

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.
    -Tyler Durden

i rep back

gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rockhuddy View Post

One caution, though: bands in particular will beat you up way more than either chains or straight weight. Powerlifters usually do no more than 3 consecutive weeks of band work, often with 3 weeks each of chains and straight weight inbetween band cycles.
    when you say "beat you up". you mean longer recovery time? A lot of doms?
    The iron never lies

IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gollybegully View Post
    I've been dying to try these for a long time. I just never got the chains. I'm thinking bands might be more convenient.
    You can get chains conveniently -- Lowes or Home Depot. But lugging them into the gym might be awkward of course. I guess it depends on the gym you go to.

The bands can be used for those pushups too, though with the hands on the bar it might be difficult. I once did pushups with a couple mini bands wrapped around my upper back, with my hands holding them down on the floor (I hope that made sense, if not let me know and I'll try to explain better!). So you could do a drop set like the guy in that video with a couple small mini bands, do as many as you can and immediately pull one band off and do another set, then pull the second band off and do as many as you can with bodyweight only.

Here are a bunch of bands (you might be able to find them cheaper, never looked myself since my gym already has them): http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...lt.asp?cid=138

That exercise can be done in other ways. A weighted vest could work okay (but would be difficult for drop sets I would assume). Also, "Blast Straps" are very good for pushups IMO. I hang them from a chinup bar and set the handles just a few inches off the ground. Holding them stable makes the workout pretty interesting. This is the product I'm talking about, and in the pic he's doing the same exercise: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=114&pid=916.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Chains and bands aren't just power techniques, they're about producing force curves, and they're just fine for beginners. Is adding a couple plates too much? Add a couple chains. Take them off when you do finally add the plates, and you'll be more prepared for them.

It makes sense for noobies to use them. The beautiful thing about stuff like chains, is you get more resistance when your bones are aligned the best for absorbing force, and you build more strength in that aligned position. It's more relevant for things like running and kicking, when you actually make impact your leg is rarely bent past 90.

I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Chains and bands aren't just power techniques, they're about producing force curves, and they're just fine for beginners. Is adding a couple plates too much? Add a couple chains. Take them off when you do finally add the plates, and you'll be more prepared for them.

It makes sense for noobies to use them. The beautiful thing about stuff like chains, is you get more resistance when your bones are aligned the best for absorbing force, and you build more strength in that aligned position. It's more relevant for things like running and kicking, when you actually make impact your leg is rarely bent past 90.
    no beginners should not train with force curves, they should train with a constant resistance and learn proper motor unit recruitment.

jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    no beginners should not train with force curves, they should train with a constant resistance and learn proper motor unit recruitment.
    Yeah, what he said.

Or you should just train hard and STFU.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    What exactly's wrong with force curves? Arthur Jones designed his machines around those. It makes perfect sense. You get better bone density for your buck that way, you're not limited to the max you can bear in a stretched position.

It's just like doing partial reps with heavy loads, only you get the full RoM, the load is lightened in the weak stretch. They design Bowflexes around this idea too. If it has any fault at all it would be that the home gyms don't provide high enough resistance caps, but the principal is sound. If you can't do a one-arm pushup, you can probably easily support yourself at the top pushup position with only one arm and bend it a little, it's when you bend it a lot that it becomes impossible.

If you think about things like olympic lifting, they use momentum to help accelerate the bar past the stretched position of the delts when they are weak, and the momentum slows down and the shoulders take over to lock it out.

Or think about one-leg squats, how much people can bear their weight on one leg and bend the knee a bit, but not as deep as with a 2-legged squat. The weakness in the stretch (from lack fo bone alignment for load-bearing) limits them.
    Last edited by Tyciol; 08-08-2007 at 07:13 PM.

sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    [QUOTE=Tyciol;67696643]What exactly's wrong with force curves? Arthur Jones designed his machines around those. It makes perfect sense. You get better bone density for your buck that way, you're not limited to the max you can bear in a stretched position.

It's just like doing partial reps with heavy loads, only you get the full RoM, the load is lightened in the weak stretch. They design Bowflexes around this idea too. QUOTE]

Bowflex is for fat house-wives... Real men lift teh iron.
    IMO: Alot of the problems people have, and then create threads about on this site (my arms aren't growing, I'm not gaining weight, etc.) would be solved by a little patience.

WestSide turned Starting Strength Journal: (9 months to reach 200 lbs BW) http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3207071

OLD SS Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2538331

Shut up noob, we're talking about chains here. Chains are iron too, and can be draped over plate-loaded barbells, as can stretch bands.

Maxing out a bowflex machine leg press is likely much harder than doing a 100lb barbell squat. It's all a matter of resistance.

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I use both bands and chains in all my training. I usually run them in 3 weeks cycles. Bands are murder on your joints which is why the 3 week rule. I agree with what most have said in regards to beginners. You need a good solid base foundation before you add these to your training.

sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50) sick+tired will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Shut up noob, we're talking about chains here. Chains are iron too, and can be draped over plate-loaded barbells, as can stretch bands.

Maxing out a bowflex machine leg press is likely much harder than doing a 100lb barbell squat. It's all a matter of resistance.
    Wow strong agnostic. I never said anything negative about chains or stretch bands. Putting words in peoples mouths is not a nice thing to do.
    IMO: Alot of the problems people have, and then create threads about on this site (my arms aren't growing, I'm not gaining weight, etc.) would be solved by a little patience.

WestSide turned Starting Strength Journal: (9 months to reach 200 lbs BW) http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3207071

OLD SS Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2538331

Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000) Sevada is just really nice. (+1000)

wtf is this, he should go down all the way, and why doesnt he just use weights. Whats this doing prove anyway?
    "Success is like your own shadow, if u try to catch then u wil never succeed, ignore it and walk in ur own
    way.....it will follow u..."

Lloyd: "The first time I set eyes on Mary Swanson, I just got that old fashioned romantic feeling where I'd do anything to bone her."
    Harry: "That's a special feeling, Lloyd."

"Don't let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was"

Originally Posted by Sevada View Post
    wtf is this, he should go down all the way, and why doesnt he just use weights. Whats this doing prove anyway?
    I can't say for sure, but I would be willing to bet he uses weights too. This is just one exercise in an arsenal of many that DeFranco might have his trainees do. He's got a lot of videos on YouTube including plenty of squats, bench press, deadlifts, trap-bar deadlifts, tire flips, and even box jumps. If you have time check them out.

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    when you say "beat you up". you mean longer recovery time? A lot of doms?
    both
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)

Anyone use chains

Ooo Kinky

fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

No kidding! I'd pay someone to yell at me like that while I'm doin' my deads! Reminds me of my drill instructors at Paris Island. You can't deny the "cool factor" with the chains though.
    Last edited by fmrmarineinbiz; 08-09-2007 at 06:24 AM.
    Me Squatting 405X5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirPD1kKkuQ

This link might save your life.
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2009/SHR_Show_388.mp3

QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000) QUALITYGUY1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Lightbulb

Better to ask who doesn't use em'!
    "it's always a good day to start lifting"
    Flex Magazine, Mar. '07, pg.44

"There is no secret routine, there is no magical number of reps and sets. What there is, is confidence, belief, hard work on a consistant basis, and a desire to succeed. This is what I mean when I say accept your limits and when the time is right, you will push right through your limits time and time again, mentally and physically."
    --Steve Justa

lol i'd stop my set and punch that dude. i hate that kinda ****. this guy who i kinda knew at my gym walked up to me when i was doing incline DB's and started yelling all kinds of dumb crap right in my ear, i threw the weight down and said "STFU" really loud, and 3-4 guys that were nearby started laughing at him. good times.

vinnie85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vinnie85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    lol i'd stop my set and punch that dude. i hate that kinda ****. this guy who i kinda knew at my gym walked up to me when i was doing incline DB's and started yelling all kinds of dumb crap right in my ear, i threw the weight down and said "STFU" really loud, and 3-4 guys that were nearby started laughing at him. good times.
    i have to agree... its just freakin obnoxious to start yelling like that at the gym. this one guy would do it all the time at the gym. he and his "partners" would be squating on the smith machine and the whole gym could hear them. i can understand a grunt or a yell every now and then but on every rep? cmon...

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think its a safe bet that the guys in that video are part of a team or regular group that trains together, hence they have their own accepted code of conduct.

But yes, if I were in a commercial gym and some stranger started yelling at me I'd tell him to fug off.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

You can get chains conveniently -- Lowes or Home Depot. But lugging them into the gym might be awkward of course. I guess it depends on the gym you go to.
    Are you sure they have those at lowes and home depot? I'm going today to check it out.
    The iron never lies

vinnie85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vinnie85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lowe's and home depot carry construction size chains. anywhere from ones to keep a fence shut to huge 1-2 inch links.