Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Strength Standards for the 35+ Crowd

I recently came across this article in T-Nation. They're a bit ego-deflating, to say the least. I'm wondering though, this table has no adjustment for age at all. I'm sure a decent weight for a 60 year old is not the same as that for a 30 year old. Has anyone seen a table like this, but adjusted for age?

RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10) RubenC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Interesting read, my stats were generally half decent to half good. My bench has always been my weak point, whereas my back has been stronger.

Jimislash
    I felt pretty good about everything until I got to anything to with bodyweight type exercises. Then I realized that I am the fat kid in gym class.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My weakness is bench and pullups... always have been. Otherwise I fall a hair above Decent. Not bad.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10) QLift67 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Comparing myself to the chart I'm pretty lame. Comparing myself to myself two years ago I'm a super stud.

I think I'll stick with the latter comparison.

ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChacoTom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by QLift67 View Post
    Comparing myself to the chart I'm pretty lame. Comparing myself to myself two years ago I'm a super stud.

I think I'll stick with the latter comparison.
    LOL, Exactly. I was feeling pretty good about getting up to 5 x 5 w. 200 lbs. on ATG squats and deads yesterday, but then I saw that chart.

However, age does take its toll. I know if I were 20 years younger, I could progress much more quickly. At 58, I have to be a lot more careful, and increase in smaller increments.

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That is a seriously flawed chart, in any number of ways.

The simplest and easily detected defect is the relationship between the power lifts and the body weight exercises, but there are other problems as well.

Looking at the right-most, male, column - how many people who bench 2x their body weight or squat 5 plates can ALSO do 30 Pullups, let alone a set of 60 Dips???

I would say the following is a better set of body weight-based strength standards, and with some credentials to back it up (although it also does not take age into account):

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Let me guess....

The author made a list of his best lifts and considered that "great". Then made the rest of the list from there.
    Jon Cole's Gym: '79 - '85
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9275071&d=1603917754

Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
    I would say the following is a better set of body weight-based strength standards, and with some credentials to back it up (although it also does not take age into account):

I've seen that table, too. But again, there's no adjustment for age. Shouldn't there be? At some point, there has to be, I mean, I don't care how good shape you're in, when you 80 years old, you aren't going to be squatting what you could when you're 50, assuming you can squat at all.

triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triverson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like this list! Repped!
    - PERSEVERE

V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation

I have a problem with anything that says to the effect, "People wonder how they stack up against others in the gym." And here it is in the first line of this article. You should be only competing with yourself in the gym. In my view, anyway... Otherwise, you could blow out a hammy or something.
    I'm Batman.

Okay, I'm not.

Here's a frog.

@..@
    (----)
    ( )-( )
    o0..0o

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ChacoTom View Post
    I've seen that table, too. But again, there's no adjustment for age. Shouldn't there be?
    Yes, and no.

You can look up the avg. rate of muscle loss w. age, and extrapolate strength from it, but it is much more difficult.

The link to the table I posted is intended for relatively young lifters and potential lifters before and during training. Think college-age +/- about five years. The author references Rippetoe and Kilgore. For their purposes, age is not relevant, since coaches do not train someone older as a competitive athlete in those sports.

The tables should be fairly accurate for beginner-to-intermediate, allowing for body weight, IF you also correct for bodyfat. Obviously being 50 lbs overweight does not automatically make you able to lift more weight, more likely the opposite.

Some numbers can be fairly ambitious for novice, because many people do not have even a basic level of strength if they follow a sedentary lifestyle, and the typical nutrition you can get out of a box or from a frozen TV-dinner plate (the average 180-lb male off the street can't press 80 lbs overhead, regardless of age, because he carries 30% bodyfat).

Avanced and elite would have to be derated for age through middle-age. After that, I am not sure.

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I guess I will have to be happy with being decent, except push ups, plank, skull crushers, and ez curl, then I can be good or excellent. I can elbow plank like a mofo.

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    But hey thanks for the ego deflation

DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The list is puzzling in that it lists 3 exercises that are endurance and strength based and not a measurement of one rep power. Pullups, dips, and pushups are more a measurement of total athleticism than pure strength. They shouldn't be on the list. Which leads me to my next opinion. Total athleticism is way more important than how I measure up against guys in the gym that may be stronger than me. I believe that being able to utilize a consistent amount of power over a set period of time has greater applications in real life than a one rep maximum.

BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BraSo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Darn! I thought i was liftin heavy (at least for my age and my own fulfillment).. then comes this list... most of em i fair on the decent list... the rest - NOT!

agreed, I am far more concerned with overall health and strength than one rep power. I hate when people brag because of a certain weight they can bench once. But they would die if the attemped something like a sprint tri.

Originally Posted by farsscf View Post
    I guess I will have to be happy with being decent...
    Wait a few years... some of us are happy to find our weight on that chart without switching to bi-focals...

Nimbus Nutrition Rep leonidas300's Avatar
    leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) leonidas300 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    oucchh!!!
    Certitude is the enemy of wisdom.
    "We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Johnathan Swift.

Remember this principle: if you have to chew something, it ain't anabolic. Alan Aragon

NIMBUS NUTRITION "When Performance is Everything!"
    POSEIDON
    clay@nimbusnutrition.com

neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10)

ridiculous

im sorry, but that charts ridiculous!! its laughable.

first ,they have never putting that up. Im sorry, but im pretty damn strong. average 255 incline bench for 8 -10 reps, but could never get over 300 1x...and that would only make me decent...laughable.

first. they've never heard of the principle of individuality. shorter arms, different ROM from person to person...genetics, food intake, weight changes etc. its not cut and dry.

you know what makes me strong! Im 46, i exercise regularly, i lift a good amount in comparison to what I USED to lift and more than most at the gym...or the regulars anyway. I can pick up my kids, lay down a lawn, climb a tree, outrun my son, and im in better shape than 85% of the folks out there.

individuality...isnt weight pushed, its weight pushed for your specific make up and genetics....PERIOD!

Wonder what they're selling..i forgot to look...lol.

1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think chart like this are pretty meaningless, especially if you are a bodybuilderwho is really not concerned with max lifts. Besides very few people have great strength across the board. Long arms my help you to be a strong dead lifter. However, they would prove to be a hinderance in the bench.

I also think that worrying about what other people are, or are not, capable of doing is essentially a recipe for frustration.

Jimislash
    I am concerned with overall health, but I enjoy working on my one rep max as well. This chart is an ego boost in some ways and an ego slapdown in others. I am sure if somebody broke out an overall health chart I would be on the bottom side of decent, if that good.

I think most of you have it right in that individuals should push themselves to be better than they were yesterday, and be happy with personal gains and bests.

enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enigma60 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PeteB View Post

I like this one much better

Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As the author of this chart acknowledges the list of strength categories is aribtrary and not based on any controlled studies but HIS impressions of what constitutes decent, good and outstanding stength levels. Therefore, as the author admits, this chart is not supported by any research studies. In fact if each of us was to compose a similar list there would be a wide variation of opinion as to what poundages or reps would place an inidividual in each category.

Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well I guess I am just a freak cause I rate good to great and great on more than good. and this is on the endurance end as well. I actualy find it motivating.
    I will be 41 in 2 months I am dieting right now so I am at around 176lb.
    but this time next year I hope to be at the same BF at 185lb with a 500lb squat and a 405 bench. will I get there only time will tell but it's good to have goals. I do think that after age 50 or so these lifts should be adjusted.
    but I think they are fair. If you train hard enough and properly with proper trainning techniches these lifts are reachable they are far from record lifts so great good and decent I believe works. the other chart is good I do even better on it though, so I would have to say the first one is realistic.
    remember good meant not every one could get there and those who do need to train hard and he put great at 1% of the lifting population. and if your lifts are better than those,.you need to compare yourself with elite lifters to gauge strength. its a strength chart not a fitness chart.

dont look at the difference between your lifts, and great and think its unatainable. just look at it as something to shoot for. honestly I dont think I'll get the 500 lb squat. we will have to see how the knees are. but I will go as high as my body will alow me. and if it says 500 is OK then I will. 405 bench is a no brainer I should get that or better this winter.
    strenght is as much mental as it is physical if your crapped out then you will never make it. if your not you have a chance.
    Its not the size of the dog in the fight,
    it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Ramon that is great. I am glad someone was encouraged by this. you need to update your stats though. Good job

OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OneO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    rated good to great on everything cept the leg work (dead/squat) leg press was great (edit hmm pullups , suck at them too)... but i already know my legs need to catch up .

like to see this age adjusted , wonder where i would rate in the 44 year old catagory
    Last edited by OneO; 05-10-2007 at 04:41 PM.
    MISC animal rescue League
    www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3]The Animal Rescue Site

frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogbacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dkf10425 View Post
    The list is puzzling in that it lists 3 exercises that are endurance and strength based and not a measurement of one rep power. Pullups, dips, and pushups are more a measurement of total athleticism than pure strength. They shouldn't be on the list. Which leads me to my next opinion. Total athleticism is way more important than how I measure up against guys in the gym that may be stronger than me. I believe that being able to utilize a consistent amount of power over a set period of time has greater applications in real life than a one rep maximum.
    No Lie..... Pullups, dips, and pushups I lay waste to them but Squats, Deadlifts...Jeez. Twig Legs I guess....lol.

But I was Always A "Skill" position player in my youth.....

NOW: Want the Legs to catch up and Man I hit the Squats and Deads and they let me know!
    ~You Don't Get Anywhere Just Wishing

Determination, Integrity, Character!

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    According to this list I am great on everything except elbow blank I have no freaking idea what that is.
    On the list for Bannukah

4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4estGimp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's really hard to have some sort of adjustment for age. I have a couple friends in their 40's that are strong as hell. If they enter powerlifting meets, they go home with trophies.

Also, at an AAU meet a few months back, this 61 year old put up 500+ on his OPENER.