DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000)

My semi-scientific berberine blood glucose test

Abstract
    Clinical trials have reported berberine as having a blood glucose lowering effect. To test these claims berberine was administered and blood glucose was measured every 15 minutes for 1 hour. The results suggest that berberine may have a blood glucose lowering effect on me. Further research is required.

Methods
    Berberine HCl was acquired from ***********. Approximately 500mg was encapsulated and taken at 7:30AM (0:00) after 8 hours of fasting. Empty capsule was purchased from BN.

Blood glucose levels were checked with a Solartek Products, Inc ReliOn Ultima blood glucose meter purchased at Walmart. Lancet in lancing device was replaced prior to start of experiment. Blood glucose test strips were lot #41502 with an expiration of 03/2008. Blood tests were done on alternating fingers.

Results
    Time (h:mm) Glucose (mg/dL)
    0:00 75
    0:15 50
    0:30 69
    0:45 67
    1:00 51

Blood glucose level at start was 75 mg/dL. 15 minutes after ingestion of berberine capsule glucose dropped to 50 mg/dL. It then returned to 69 mg/dL and 67 mg/dL after 30 minutes and 45 minutes, respectively. After an hour it dropped to 51 mg/dL. Average blood glucose was 62.4 mg/dL with a SD of 11.26 mg/dL.

Discussion
    An average of my waking blood glucose for 2 weeks was found to be 70.79+-9.28 mg/dL (data not shown). Today's starting blood glucose level was consistent with this. Following berberine administration blood glucose dropped 25 mg/dL from 75 mg/dL to 50 mg/dL. This indicates that berberine may lower blood glucose levels. However, blood glucose returned to normal range at 30 minutes. This suggests that berberine may have a very limited effect. After 1 hour blood glucose again dropped outside the normal range to 51 mg/dL. It's possible that this and the previous drop were due to the meter used in this experiment. Further testing is necessary to confirm the source of this.

Please note, while this writeup follows a research format it is in no way to be considered scientific (hence calling it semi-scientific). The meter used was the cheapest one available. The manual doesn't indicate the level of accuracy. There was limited control placed. I washed my hands once before starting and used the same lancet for all finger pricks. I do believe my blood glucose dropped in the first 15 minutes because I did feel hypoglycemic (shaky, light headed, uncoordinated). I don't know how to explain the 2nd drop in blood glucose. It could be due to my body wanting food or a rebound effect of the body bringing the glucose levels back to normal.

Any and all feedback is welcome!
    Last edited by DriverDan; 03-18-2007 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Fixed typo. 75-50 is 25, not 15.
    Owner of SupplementGiveaway.com
    Win free supplements at http://supplementgiveaway.com
    Here Be Dragons: An Introduction To Critical Thinking http://herebedragonsmovie.com/
    WATCH THIS MOVIE BEFORE LISTENING TO THE BROS

eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm not sure about the second drop but the increase after dropping is probably your liver releasing glucose to raise your blood glucose levels back up because you probably lowered them too much. I guess you didn't take any carbs with it?

BTW thanks for actually measuring it. I've used my dad's glucometer a few times but I don't want to use up all his test strips and lancets.

Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read parts of the research project (very nicely done btw) and I wanted to let you know that it's not uncommon for your glucose to drop, then go up, drop then go up. What happens is your body senses that your glucose is high, starts producing insulin which lowers your glucose, then it senses your glucose is low so it stops producing insulin and starts releasing glucose. Then your glucose levels will increase, causing an increase in insulin secretion lowering it again, normally it's a never ending cycle but within acceptable parameters. The drug may have an affect, but I'd have to do further research to find out more on it. Try pubmed, a medical database which i s free to the public. Hope I helped.

DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by eatingisfun View Post
    I'm not sure about the second drop but the increase after dropping is probably your liver releasing glucose to raise your blood glucose levels back up because you probably lowered them too much. I guess you didn't take any carbs with it?
    Yeah, I assumed the same thing about the increase. I assume my body made up for the drop.

Originally Posted by Zacten View Post
    I read parts of the research project (very nicely done btw) and I wanted to let you know that it's not uncommon for your glucose to drop, then go up, drop then go up. What happens is your body senses that your glucose is high, starts producing insulin which lowers your glucose, then it senses your glucose is low so it stops producing insulin and starts releasing glucose. Then your glucose levels will increase, causing an increase in insulin secretion lowering it again, normally it's a never ending cycle but within acceptable parameters. The drug may have an affect, but I'd have to do further research to find out more on it. Try pubmed, a medical database which i s free to the public. Hope I helped.
    This test was done 8 hours after eating. Glucose levels should be fairly consistent without food consumption. Small fluctuations within the normal range (70-100 mg/dL) may be normal but 25 mg/dL drop into hypoglycemia is not normal. There are quite a few clinical trials of berberine on both rats and humans that show its ability to increase GLUT4 expression and reduce blood glucose. That's why I'm interested in it. That and its potential to block new atipose cells from forming.
    Last edited by DriverDan; 03-18-2007 at 07:09 PM.
    Here Be Dragons: An Introduction To Critical Thinking http://herebedragonsmovie.com/

I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this. Considering Anabolic Pump (AP) is a combination of berberine and banaba extracts (speculation on my part) and the results people are reporting I'd think more people would want to play with the bulk ingredients.

Then again, I did mention science. It seems like 90% of the forum members are scared of science

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Definately interesting... have you experimented any more with this ? (or other dosages ? )
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DriverDan View Post
    I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this. Considering Anabolic Pump (AP) is a combination of berberine and banaba extracts (speculation on my part) and the results people are reporting I'd think more people would want to play with the bulk ingredients.

Then again, I did mention science. It seems like 90% of the forum members are scared of science
    Im very interested in it, thank you for doing this experiment. I have not tracked the numbers, but I can say that I can literally FEEL that graph you posted happening every time after taking AP, and it happens even when consuming ample carbs 15-20 min later. Would you do a blood glucose test after taking berberine + carbs?

DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

extremely interesting, I simply didn't see this thread until pu12 bumped it.

driver dan, your work is awesome!

here are a few suggestions for some minor optimisations:

1. you need to standardize almost everything during the hour after taking berberine: at best you lay down in bed and don't move to much. physical activity can suck glucose from the bloodstream and thus counteract with the effects from berberine.

2. you need to do at least 1 (better 2) times your test with all the measurements without taking anything. so, not only morning blood sugar but also 4 x measurements every 15 minutes after waking up. this will control for natural fluctutations of blood sugar and show you the natural variability of your measuerd parameter.

3. finally, repeat your test at least 1 (better: 2) time(s) with berberine. then present the charts you have generated.

again: props and congrats for a very well laid out scientific work!

very nice!

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by CF10 View Post
    Im very interested in it, thank you for doing this experiment. I have not tracked the numbers, but I can say that I can literally FEEL that graph you posted happening every time after taking AP, and it happens even when consuming ample carbs 15-20 min later. Would you do a blood glucose test after taking berberine + carbs?

Lookin RIPPED man !!!
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000) CF10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by pu12en12g View Post
    Lookin RIPPED man !!!
    Thanks. It's compliments like that that keep me going when I wanna quit sometimes. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
    extremely interesting, I simply didn't see this thread until pu12 bumped it.

driver dan, your work is awesome!

here are a few suggestions for some minor optimisations:

1. you need to standardize almost everything during the hour after taking berberine: at best you lay down in bed and don't move to much. physical activity can suck glucose from the bloodstream and thus counteract with the effects from berberine.

2. you need to do at least 1 (better 2) times your test with all the measurements without taking anything. so, not only morning blood sugar but also 4 x measurements every 15 minutes after waking up. this will control for natural fluctutations of blood sugar and show you the natural variability of your measuerd parameter.

3. finally, repeat your test at least 1 (better: 2) time(s) with berberine. then present the charts you have generated.

again: props and congrats for a very well laid out scientific work!

very nice!
    I'm actually planning on doing everything you mentioned. I didn't want to run more tests during my current cut though as I don't like changing too many things at once. I'll be doing some more experimentation with berberine soon, probably within a month. I'm also going to be playing with banaba.