Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

3 days vs 4 days enough?

I just started TRT this week and looking to finally gain some muscle. My muscle mass is pretty low as I've never consistently kept up with lifting. I'm 38 y/o 6 ft tall with 132 lb muscle mass and 19% body fat. For the past month since I started I've been going 3 days per week but I have the time to go 4 days if needed. Which is better for muscle growth? 3 days or 4? This is my routine currently. Please let me know if you think I should be doing more in my workouts. (PS. I'm alternating the weeks so week 2 shoulders gets worked M/F)

Monday

Bench - 3x5
    DB Bench - 5x8 (dropset)
    Row - 4x8
    Squat - 4x8

Wednesday

Shoulder Press - 3x5
    Shoulder Press - 5x8
    Lateral Raises - 4x8 (dropset)
    Squat - 5x5

Friday

Bench - 4x8
    Row - 3x5
    DB Row - 5x8 (dropset)
    Squat - 4x8

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It’s not a matter of number of days in the gym, it’s what you do in those days and whether you continue consistently.

That’s a pretty crappy routine, but you’re on TRT so depending on your dosage, how you respond and whether it’s satisfactory for your goals - you might be fine. So give it time and adjust from there based on your happiness with results.

youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youknowit84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    It’s not a matter of number of days in the gym, it’s what you do in those days and whether you continue consistently.

That’s a pretty crappy routine, but you’re on TRT so depending on your dosage, how you respond and whether it’s satisfactory for your goals - you might be fine. So give it time and adjust from there based on your happiness with results.
    what more can i do in these workouts to improve it? most of the full body routines i see online only consist of 4 movements on a 3 day split. should i be incorporating more iso moves? how many more exercises should I add per day?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by youknowit84 View Post
    what more can i do in these workouts to improve it? most of the full body routines i see online only consist of 4 movements on a 3 day split. should i be incorporating more iso moves? how many more exercises should I add per day?
    Again, it’s not just about “enough” or adding more. If you want a better fb program, do one of the proper novice programs you’ve seen online. Otherwise do yours and see how it works with your TRT. In the end, it’s about whether or not you subjective are happy.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    what more can i do in these workouts to improve it?
    Do the Fierce 5 routine. It's literally the post right above this one in this forum. It's what my grandmother does. That's her pic in my avatar.

She's a bartender in a seedy part of town, and can kick out a group of unruly bikers.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

Again, it’s not just about “enough” or adding more. If you want a better fb program, do one of the proper novice programs you’ve seen online. Otherwise do yours and see how it works with your TRT. In the end, it’s about whether or not you subjective are happy.
    so what about it makes it a crappy routine then? i'm just trying to understand what makes a routine conducive for muscle building. based on what i'm reading, I want to stick to compound movements and 10-15 sets per muscle per week. do you disagree with that? if so, why?

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Do the Fierce 5 routine. It's literally the post right above this one in this forum. It's what my grandmother does. That's her pic in my avatar.

She's a bartender in a seedy part of town, and can kick out a group of unruly bikers.
    thanks, so I am considering doing that one actually. my only reservations with it were that it seemed to not have a lot of chest and shoulder work. only 6 sets per week. is that really all that is needed for hypertrophy? i was under the impression you wanted to hit those muscle groups 10-15 sets per week.

so what about it makes it a crappy routine then? i'm just trying to understand what makes a routine conducive for muscle building. based on what i'm reading, I want to stick to compound movements and 10-15 sets per muscle per week. do you disagree with that? if so, why?
    Dude I honestly don’t care to debate a routine you made up randomly based on what you read when you have no experience lifting with any consistency or results. There are plenty of good novice routines out there that you can run as-is.

Like I said, it’s your body and time, so if you want to do it, do it and adjust from there based on results. With TRT it’s possible the quality of the program may not matter as much. Good luck!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks, so I am considering doing that one actually. my only reservations with it were that it seemed to not have a lot of chest and shoulder work. only 6 sets per week. is that really all that is needed for hypertrophy? i was under the impression you wanted to hit those muscle groups 10-15 sets per week.
    It's on par with what you have for everything but chest/shoulders in your proposed program.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) friesbruh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    back in the day i worked out 3x a week but with a paid personal trainer and it was plenty enough. granted i got my *** put thru the ringer.
    Bills crew / Bud Light crew / extra onion crew / M&P crew / lcp2 crew / ap3 crew / Trump crew / mcdonalds app crew / cat-owner crew / Tin Cup crew / self-checkout crew / country music crew / RIP snails crew

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so what about it makes it a crappy routine then?
    It's like someone who has never swam decides to write a book about how to swim, it's terrible.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...6216941&page=1

This may educate further ^

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631

This is the program you shoupd follow for at least several months ^

Good luck
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I want to stick to compound movements and 10-15 sets per muscle per week. do you disagree with that? if so, why?
    I do 4 sets of everything in the Fierce 5 plus 4 more sets of accessory compound movements to go along with the original 4. That's 8 sets a week per bodypart. Each set is taken to where proper form breaks down.

Source: My grandma is my avatar.
    Current rankings

Dude I honestly don’t care to debate a routine you made up randomly based on what you read when you have no experience lifting with any consistency or results. There are plenty of good novice routines out there that you can run as-is.

Like I said, it’s your body and time, so if you want to do it, do it and adjust from there based on results. With TRT it’s possible the quality of the program may not matter as much. Good luck!
    dude, relax. jesus. you said the routine was crappy without adding any context whatsoever. all i'm asking you is why so that I can better understand how to train. you're not providing any help by saying "it's a crappy routine" so why even bother commenting if you're not going to help?

I can better understand how to train.
    Just follow the Fierce 5. All the thinking has already been incorporated into the program and its progression.
    Current rankings

dude, relax. jesus. you said the routine was crappy without adding any context whatsoever. all i'm asking you is why so that I can better understand how to train. you're not providing any help by saying "it's a crappy routine" so why even bother commenting if you're not going to help?
    Just because I’m not willing to explain all the basics of programming to you doesn’t mean I’m not helping. Your program sucks, is that more straightforward for you? No wonder you’re 38 and only “finally looking to gain some muscle.”

If you don’t want to listen to my advice above, that’s your right.

Just because I’m not willing to explain all the basics of programming to you doesn’t mean I’m not helping.
    actually, that's exactly what that means lol. if you're not willing to provide any context then don't respond. it's that simple. grow up and develop some social skills.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So did you hop on TRT with no idea how to get stronger or do you need TRT because your levels are low and you figured you might as well start training?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

actually, that's exactly what that means lol. if you're not willing to provide any context then don't respond. it's that simple. grow up and develop some social skills.
    Just because the advice you get (to run a proper novice program or just run your program and adjust based on your results) isn’t what you want to hear, doesn’t make it any less valid.

Again, this is why you’re 38 with zero results, because you think it’s someone else’s fault why what you’ve been doing in the gym for years sucks. “I must be low T, that’s the problem”.

Just because the advice you get (to run a proper novice program or just run your program and adjust based on your results) isn’t what you want to hear, doesn’t make it any less valid.

Again, this is why you’re 38 with zero results, because you think it’s someone else’s fault why what you’ve been doing in the gym for years sucks. “I must be low T, that’s the problem”.
    i haven't been working out for years and my T was at 255, so yes, it's low. I don't have a problem with taking advice on a program. however, that's not what you provided. you just said "it's a crappy routine" and then when I ask why, all i get is "dude I'm not trying to debate" do you know what debating is?

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    So did you hop on TRT with no idea how to get stronger or do you need TRT because your levels are low and you figured you might as well start training?
    i started with trt because I've felt like crap for the last few years and my levels came back at 255. my initial reason for going on trt was not to gain muscle but to improve my overall mood. i started training because i knew that that would also help me to feel better again. now that I'm working out consistently and working on my testosterone I figured it would be a good time to start putting on some muscle.

i haven't been working out for years and my T was at 255, so yes, it's low. I don't have a problem with taking advice on a program. however, that's not what you provided. you just said "it's a crappy routine" and then when I ask why, all i get is "dude I'm not trying to debate" do you know what debating is?
    I said to run a proper novice program or do you own and adjust. Read above again.

And yes, my comment was that your program is crappy.

I don’t have to give you additional advice just because you demand it, any more than you have to take my advice. And yes, I know what debating is - my comment was in response to below.

do you disagree with that? if so, why?
    Why would I want to debate lifting with you when you have no clue what you’re doing? Good bye and good luck with your low T!

TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Far too much emphasis on upper body pushes
    No vertical pulling
    No hip hinge movement
    Drop sets why?

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Far too much emphasis on upper body pushes
    No vertical pulling
    No hip hinge movement
    Drop sets why?
    whats a good example for vertical pulling and hip hinge movement? are drop sets not good for hypertrophy?

whats a good example for vertical pulling and hip hinge movement? are drop sets not good for hypertrophy?
    Just follow the Fierce 5 program. That's the best you can get for 99.9% of the population. It's what my 14 year old nephew does. That's him in my avatar.
    Current rankings

whats a good example for vertical pulling and hip hinge movement?
    Do you even know what these are?

are drop sets not good for hypertrophy?
    They're good for saving time.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Do you even know what these are?

They're good for saving time.
    no, that's why I asked

no, that's why I asked
    This is very basic. You shouldn't be writing your own program if you don't even know this.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’ll add to what’s already been posted

No progression plan
    No de loads
    No resets

All humans can reach their full genetic potential with 3-4 days in the weight room.

Fierce 5
    All pros
    Lyle McDonald’s GBR

Sure you can write your own stuff but people who do that generally stay in novice land forever.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd say that routine isn't great either for a multitude of reasons. If you are doing a planning on doing a fullbody routine, follow this model.

1 squat
    1 hinge
    1 press
    1 pull
    1 core movement
    +1 or 2 accessory movements for higher reps.

This can look like... Back Squat, RDL, Bench Press, Barbell Row, Hanging Leg Raises and Curls for Day 1. Day 2 could be Front Squat, Swings, OH Press, Chin Ups, Plank Work and Face Pulls supersetted with Tricep Pushdowns.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Just follow the Fierce 5 program. That's the best you can get for 99.9% of the population. It's what my 14 year old nephew does. That's him in my avatar.
    I'm going to give it a try but I don't understand this part..

"For the exercises in the 5 rep range add 1 rep per set during the weeks you aren’t increasing weight. For exercises in the 8-15 range add 2 reps per set during weeks you aren’t increasing weight"

aren't I suppose to increase weight every week? what does that mean to add 1 rep on weeks where you aren't adding weight