Thread: Bread

GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Bread

i'm 32 years of age and have just started to take working out seriously again. I've been on a 1 year hiatus from the gym and gained about 30 lbs and am hoping to get back into excellent shape, knowing this will take time but ready for the challenge.

I noticed that some people believe bread should be completely removed from your diet. Out of laziness (i know, i should be cooking a lot more and will), I typically eat 1 sandwich a day to cover my meals. Turkey, light mayo and a slice of cheese. Is this something I should be completely getting out of my diet or as long as it fits my macros it's fine? Sorry for the typical dumb question, most people think it's acceptable but I know the advice on here will be more worth taking in.

Will be more active on the forums, looking forward to sharing my story with all of you
    "Fear was what stood between a man and an extraordinary life, and the surest way through it was to stare it down over and over until that gaze became habit." - the Pat Tillman Story

Redgistered User dwightaroundya's Avatar
    dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    You should eat the foods you enjoy.

YOLO
    Hi.

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

I could never ever remove bread from my diet. But I do eat only whole grains (Ezekiel sprouted complete protein bread- it's still better than cardboard) or cheat with rye (it's not supposed to have an effect on blood sugar levels). I'm sure everyone had too much stuffing a few days ago, and wants to loose a few. You're question was not dumb, btw. You'll find that when you start lifting again, you'll need the carbs to sustain your energy. Good luck!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    There are various old wives tales about bread.

One is that the high GI level causes an insulin reaction (as does all carbohydrate and protein intake) which makes you fat. This is just shooting the messenger. Insulin doesn't make you fat if you are in control of your overall intake. GI of foods is not a concern for anyone with a healthy glucose metabolism.

Another is that some people demonise some components of bread like gluten. There are people who genuinely allergic to gluten but there are a lot more clueless bandwagon jumpers following social trends rather than real science.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    There are various old wives tales about bread.

One is that the high GI level causes an insulin reaction (as does all carbohydrate and protein intake) which makes you fat. This is just shooting the messenger. Insulin doesn't make you fat if you are in control of your overall intake. GI of foods is not a concern for anyone with a healthy glucose metabolism.

Another is that some people demonise some components of bread like gluten. There are people who genuinely allergic to gluten but there are a lot more clueless bandwagon jumpers following social trends rather than real science.
    Basically how I feel about the views towards bread.

As long as its fits your macros/ calories it is perfectly fine. I eat bread all the time its my favourite snack, I eat it multiple times a day don't really take much notice if its grained bread or the cheapest white bread I enjoy them all.

The only thing that any type of bread can be is dense in calories (one slice is about 90-130 calories), so can add up quickly if you eat lots, but as long as its in your calories nothing at all wrong with it and is a great food to me. Cheap and convenient, and when I bulk again I will be upping my intake even more.
    Last edited by hardyboysare; 11-26-2018 at 10:36 AM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by GForce78NJ View Post
    i'm 32 years of age and have just started to take working out seriously again. I've been on a 1 year hiatus from the gym and gained about 30 lbs and am hoping to get back into excellent shape, knowing this will take time but ready for the challenge.

I noticed that some people believe bread should be completely removed from your diet. Out of laziness (i know, i should be cooking a lot more and will), I typically eat 1 sandwich a day to cover my meals. Turkey, light mayo and a slice of cheese. Is this something I should be completely getting out of my diet or as long as it fits my macros it's fine? Sorry for the typical dumb question, most people think it's acceptable but I know the advice on here will be more worth taking in.

Will be more active on the forums, looking forward to sharing my story with all of you
    As long as it fits your macros, it's fine.

Vilifying single food items (or entire macro groups) is the domain of clueless social media posters, TV celebrity doctors/morons, and supplement scammers looking to take your $$$. Be mindful of where you obtain your nutrition advices. A good place for you to spend some time reading is here:

*Figuring Calories and Macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1481919401

*Nutrition for beginners: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

Additionally, if you want to really dig deeper, go here:

http://Alanaragon.com

http://bodyrecomposition.com
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The reason that it's sometimes advisable to eliminate bread and other processed carbs from your diet is that for the amount of calories they contain they don't satiate well and also processed foods have a higher net calorie amount than non processed as the processing takes away some of the body's job of doing the processing which burns calories in itself which is why satiation is so poor.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    The reason that it's sometimes advisable to eliminate bread and other processed carbs from your diet is that for the amount of calories they contain they don't satiate well and also processed foods have a higher net calorie amount than non processed as the processing takes away some of the body's job of doing the processing which burns calories in itself which is why satiation is so poor.
    This, during a cut you're just "wasting precious calories" on a not so satiating good..mean 28g of whole wheat bread is calories that's 1 toast, if you have 3 that's like having 150g or so of chicken or shrimp which is more satiating since it's mostly protein but no it's not bad good. My wife thinks it is and keep thinking because she stopped eating it she lost weight...

RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    +1 as the reason to avoid bread and other similar dense foods...when you're restricting your calories, you have to be selective about what you eat to a degree at least...technically, it's all about the deficit, so you can eat Twinkies if you stay under your target calories, it just becomes difficult to do so while also getting your required macros (.82 g/protein) AND staying at a deficit.

GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    I could never ever remove bread from my diet. But I do eat only whole grains (Ezekiel sprouted complete protein bread- it's still better than cardboard) or cheat with rye (it's not supposed to have an effect on blood sugar levels). I'm sure everyone had too much stuffing a few days ago, and wants to loose a few. You're question was not dumb, btw. You'll find that when you start lifting again, you'll need the carbs to sustain your energy. Good luck!
    thank you! Very insightful answer. I think for the first couple of months im going to separate it from my diet just to get myself back into full mindset of working out and eating right. I have the basic knowledge but its been probably 3 years since i've taken fitness seriously and have been posting.

Re: Ezekiel Bread - Probably the worst thing I've ever tasted lol. I struggle with Ezekiel bread and Oats to be honest, two of the healthiest options for you. Need to find a way to overcome that. For now I'm planning to get most carbohydrates from Veggies, rice, and looking for a couple other options. Just bought an instapot so will be cooking a ton more than i do currently.

Thanks for the post!
    "Fear was what stood between a man and an extraordinary life, and the surest way through it was to stare it down over and over until that gaze became habit." - the Pat Tillman Story

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    As long as it fits your macros, it's fine.

Vilifying single food items (or entire macro groups) is the domain of clueless social media posters, TV celebrity doctors/morons, and supplement scammers looking to take your $$$. Be mindful of where you obtain your nutrition advices. A good place for you to spend some time reading is here:

*Figuring Calories and Macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1481919401

*Nutrition for beginners: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

Additionally, if you want to really dig deeper, go here:

http://Alanaragon.com

http://bodyrecomposition.com
    Thank you! Glad to see Alan is still around

I fully agree on not fully removing anything from your diet. Life is about enjoyment and I plan on implementing all courses of food back into my diet once I'm a bit less round. For now, just want to feel better mentally and physically and slowly will get back into adding tastier options. Been down this rodeo before going from 300 to 195 at 12-15% bodyfat, just gotta find my way and iwll ask some new questions during the process

Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the posts. Looking forward to getting back into the full mindset of whats important - health is wealth. Been a stressful year but got a lot of positives and will be much more active on the boards again!

Registered User malikabdulwahab's Avatar
    malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50) malikabdulwahab will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're question was not dumb, btw. You'll find that when you start lifting again, you'll need the carbs to sustain your energy. Good luck!