where was i last day Rosienumber53's Avatar
    Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how to become a more explosive squatter. And also help with stance

Lately i've been moving 315 about the same speed as 405. Slow. I used to able to gauge my max by how fast i moved weight, but it seems ive lost all my explosiveness.

And with stance, i used to squat pretty wide, but i've changed to close to test it out. I've squatted about the same with both, but i squatted much faster with a wide stance. And im just completely lost on what I should do
    Started November 2014.

Squat- 475
    Bench- 315
    Deadlift- 475
    Shot put- 50'2"
    Discus- 131'2
    Push Press- 225
    Sitting military press- 260
    Axle Clean and press- 225(first time trying it)

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I mentioned that to Ben Rice once on his youtube channel. His response made me think differently on the matter. It was basically something along the lines of "that sounds like a good thing if the heavy weights are moving like the light weights".

Some lifters just look slow. Watch David Ricks squat his 1st and 2nd attempts and they look like 3rds.

Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Medley44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Maybe some lighter pause squats in the hole, then explode up (emphasis on bar speed).
    Best Meet 12-2-17:

501/369/551 = 1421 @ 275 (263)

sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i've found squatting against bands has forced me to be explosive through the entire lift, or else you get stapled. try it out for some of your working sets while cutting the actual bar weight down a bit

xostel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think this is common as a teenager that as you gain absolute strength you start to lose bar velocity as the weights get heavier.
    It is a good time to add in speed-strength work. I think you are better starting with chains for accommodating resistance because it is easier to figure out how much weight you are using compared to bands. Take 50% of your 1RPM and then add 20-25% in chain so it is about 75%. Then 10-12 sets of doubles or work up to that. You need to do many sets so you get enough volume with speed work. If you are slow wide for sure do them wide, do whatever you suck at. Look up a video of guys doing speed squats if you want to see how fast it should look like.
    You should also start taking a measurement on your box jump. If your squat goes up 30lbs weighing the same but your box jump doesn't improve then the bar is starting to slow down too much.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Rosienumber53 View Post
    Lately i've been moving 315 about the same speed as 405. Slow. I used to able to gauge my max by how fast i moved weight, but it seems ive lost all my explosiveness.
    "Overreading"

Based what little information you have provided, "Overreading" is most like you training issue.

Overreaching amount to training to hard and not allow the muscles/body to recover.

Overreading eventually lead to Overtraining.

When this occurs, performance drops. Power, Strength, Speed, etc decrease.

Continuing to push during Overreaching lead to Overtraining; where you issues become worse and recovery take even longer.

The Periodization Training Solution

One of the primary keys progress is Planned Periodization Training Cycles.

Periodization Cycles are progressive resistance Training Program in which you start out light.

You progressively increase the load/intensity each week.

The end of this Planned Periodization Training Cycle end with an all out week of pushing/pulling load to failure or close it.

Once you have maxed out during your Periodization Training Cycle you start all over with a NEW Training Cycle.

Starting over with lighter load allows for...

Active Recovery

Active Recovery means using light load. This allows the muscles/body to recover and become stronger.

Each week you increase the loading until you hit your max all out week; then you begin a New Training Cycle.

Planned Periodization Cycles ensure progress.

And with stance, i used to squat pretty wide, but i've changed to close to test it out. I've squatted about the same with both, but i squatted much faster with a wide stance. And im just completely lost on what I should do
    Playing To Your Strengths

The bottom line is you're build to produce more Power with a Wide Stance Squat than a Narrow Stance Squat.

Training with a Narrow Stance Squat for Strength and Power will have some carry over to your Wide Stance.

However, the focus of your training need to be on implementing exercise develop you Wide Stance Squatting Power.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by xostel View Post
    I think this is common as a teenager that as you gain absolute strength you start to lose bar velocity as the weights get heavier.
    The Foundation of Power

The Foundation of Power is built on Strength.

That is especially true for Novice (teenage) Lifters.

Thus, an increase in Strength IMMEDIATELY produces and increase in Power.

Heavy Weight

Heavy loads decrease Power Output with all lifters.

See Saw Analogy

Speed is one one side of the See Saw.

Strength is on the opposite side of the See Saw.

Thus, ...

1) In heavy load Strength movements Velocity drops.

2) In light load Speed movements, Velocity increases.

It is a good time to add in speed-strength work.
    Speed Training

Speed Work is one of a misnomer for this type of training that continues to be perpetuated.

The development of Speed occurs with load of body weight up to 40% of 1 Repetition Max, with around 30% of 1 Repetition being the "Sweet Spot."

This method is actually...

Power Training

Power (Power Output) is developed with loads of 48 - 62% of 1 Repetition Max.

I think you are better starting with chains for accommodating resistance because it is easier to figure out how much weight you are using compared to bands.
    Chains, Bands and/or Bungees

They all work.

Chains are are somewhat easier in determine the load.

However, Band Load is just as easily measured with a...

Fish Scale

I paid a little over $10 for the Etekcity Digital Postal Hook Fishing Scale, with a 110 lb/50 kg measurement capacity.

Bands and Bungees

For Band or Bungees, attach the Fish Scale. Then stretch the Band or Bungee to the position you want to measure. Hold the scale steady for a few seconds and the Band or Bungee Load locks the scale weight; providing you with the poundage.

Chains

Yes, you can weigh chains on a bathroom scale. However, any time you alter the length of the chain the load changes.

Thus, with taller or shorter individuals, the load changes. When attaching Chains to the Squat or Bench Press, the load changes.

However, the Fish Scale allows you to instantaneously calculate the Chain Load.

Take 50% of your 1RPM and then add 20-25% in chain so it is about 75%.
    Roughly, yes.

Then 10-12 sets of doubles or work up to that. You need to do many sets so you get enough volume with speed work.
    Roughly, the works.

Some other models with a lower number of sets/volume work, as well.

The Deterrent Volume Factor

With any type of Speed or Power Training, the primary factor in the number of sets preformed is fatigue.

Once Speed or Power drops in either of these training protocols, STOP! Continuing to perform sets is counterproductive; since you aren't training Speed or Power when that occurs.

If you are slow wide for sure do them wide, do whatever you suck at.
    Play To Your Strengths

1) First, Rosienumber53 is more explosive with a Wide Stance Squat.

2) There will always be a greater return from your training investment in focusing on developing your greatest asset, Playing To Your Strengths.

Some Narrow Stance Training will provide a minimal amount of improvement but never to the same extent that Rosienumber53 will obtain in focusing on developing Power in his Wide Stance Squat.

Look up a video of guys doing speed squats if you want to see how fast it should look like.
    Yes, this will help.

You should also start taking a measurement on your box jump. If your squat goes up 30lbs weighing the same but your box jump doesn't improve then the bar is starting to slow down too much.
    Box Jumps

I don't know that the method is all the effective or necessary.

If Rosienumber53's Power Squat were to go from 230 lbs (50% of his 460 lb Squat) to 250 lbs with the same Power/Speed, that would indicate an enormous increase in Power.

250 lbs/50% = 500 lbs of 1 Repetition Max!

With that in mind, Power Squats are a much more specific method of measurement.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 12-30-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

where was i last day Rosienumber53's Avatar
    Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rosienumber53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow, thanks guys, lots and lots of info. Im gonna go back to wide stance as my primary, and start doing speed work. reps
    Started November 2014.

Squat- 475
    Bench- 315
    Deadlift- 475
    Shot put- 50'2"
    Discus- 131'2
    Push Press- 225
    Sitting military press- 260
    Axle Clean and press- 225(first time trying it)