nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Any female powerlifters??

I really want to get into powerlifting!
    I have been lifting for a while, but mostly at a bodybuilding/fitness level. Mostly looking for beginners advice and how you personally got started. Do you think it's necessary to get a trainer? Tips?

Thanks!!

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't powerlift, but I would definitely recommend starting with a trainer. Those are going to be some heavy lifts, and having someone make sure you're doing them 100% properly would be beneficial.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Been training for 2 years, powerlifting for a year, absolutely love it, can't recommend enough.
    Its empowering for women because the emphasis is on sport and not what you look like or weigh. But it will change your body a lot, in a good way.
    If you begin with stronglifts 5x5 I don't see why a trainer is completely necessary, post your vids of lifts on here so we can advise your form, don't be embarrassed its important. Make sure your eat well lots of protein, if you're slim bulk a bit.
    If I could give one advice its that from now on your one of the guys at the gym. You don't do girl exercises any more (except maybe planks lol) you are doing what the most serious guys are doing...and you can do it just as serious as them. and soon trust me you will be squatting and deadlifting more than most of the guys there (mainly cos they don't do it!)
    Got my first meet in Feb -excited
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    We do have some powerlifters around here but you would probably get more answers to your questions in the powerlifting section.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Best of luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You don't necessarily need a coach (assuming you see this as a hobby and aren't trying to break world records), but you definitely want someone with you when it's time to compete, to make sure you're in the right place at the right time, moral support etc.

I would look here for a novice routine: http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/programmingtowin/

The novice routines posted on this site are good, but they aren't necessarily powerlifting specific. If that's your goal, then I'd just start with a powerlifting novice (or advanced novice) routine.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You don't strictly need a powerlifting coach, as others have said, but I'm thoroughly confident that you will be better off with a coach than without.

If you plan on competing in IPF, the rules are slightly different to other federations. Where I live, the biggest federations are IPF and GPC. GPC allows knee wraps as raw squats, has you squatting in a monolift, lets you bench on your toes, and uses different bars to IPF. IPF has your squatting without wraps in a rack and has you benching with your feet flat. Both federations require that you squat until the top of your hips are below the top of your knees, that you hold the bar on your chest until you're told to press, and that you lower the bar gently in the deadlift.

Whatever federation you plan on competing in, you need to familiarise yourself with their rules and train in a way they replicates their rules as much as possible. You need to learn technique that is both safe and legal, and from there you will improve by building on that technique that is also effective at moving heavy weights. A coach can help you do this much faster than you can figure it out on your own. You need appropriate programming with a good use of the competition lifts and good use of assistance exercises -- a good coach can help you figure that out faster than you can on your own, too. You need to be pushed hard enough to progress -- with a background in bodybuilding, you may or may not have that drive. In many ways the style of training is different to traditional bodybuilding, and this may require some help getting used to.

What is your current 1RM for each of the competition lifts, within legal technique requirements?
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Live long and make gainz McNeelz's Avatar
    McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I haven't competed in powerlifting, but my training style is a hybrid of powerlifting and bodybuilding. I started off with a trainer, but I don't work with one now because my trainer needed to take some time off to finish her PhD, and I didn't want to train with anyone else. Working with a trainer was very helpful for me because I had someone to teach me correct form in the beginning, and then make corrections if bad form started to creep in later. She was also very motivating. If I could still be working with her, I would.

Though having a trainer can really help, I wouldn't say that it's essential for getting into the sport. As long as you have the determination to do it and the motivation to seek knowledge, I think you could learn to train as a powerlifter on your own.
    IG: amygainz

Squat: 210, Bench: 165, Deadlift: 330

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Check out powerliftingwatch.com, search for meets in your area to get an idea of what feds are near you so you can familiarize yourself with their rules and be familiar with commands. Train according to your sport form (ex: do *not* only try pausing your bench a couple weeks before a meet, lol). Personally, I videotape myself pretty much every training session on the main lifts so I can tweak form as needed - yes you will *always* be working on form!

Do not try to cut for a certain weight class before your first few meets - just go and have fun, doing your best. Meet day is usually VERY long and it will take a few times before you get down how to manage your warmups, meet-day nutrition, attempt selection, etc. PLing is great
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

Registered User TrampasaursFlex's Avatar
    TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000)
    I actually recently made the decision to get into powerlifting with the intent of eventually competing myself. I started lifting about a year and a half ago, initially with the goal of just being/looking fit, doing a couple of great full body programs and more bodybuilding style training. A few months ago I realized that I now look how I want, and working out just to work out wasn't going to cut it for me. About that same time I joined a new gym that's super duper lifting friendly and everyone, men and women, seem to be either competitive bodybuilders or competitive powerlifters. And the owner (a former nationally ranked powerlifter and state record holder) and a couple of the trainers were trying to talk me into competing in something.

I decided on powerlifting because I like the idea of it being objective (either I can lift a particular weight or I can't) vs subjective (meeting particular bb judging standards), I like that I won't have to diet, I like the training, and I just kinda think it suits my personality better in general.

I asked one of the trainers at my gym to coach me. He's a competitive powerlifter himself, and I know him well and I know I can trust him. I wanted a coach for now because I wanted to make sure my form was just right so I didn't injure myself trying to go super heavy, so I have someone that knows their way around meets and competition prep, and so that I'm training with someone who can push me further than I could push myself on my own (largely because he's right there spotting me the whole time). I could probably have solicited all these folks for free advice and trained with them for free since they're my friends now but many of them are professionals and I would've felt way too guilty getting professional coaching advice for free

I'm about 6 weeks in and I absolutely love it. Hope you do too!

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TrampasaursFlex View Post
    I like that I won't have to diet
    Contrary to popular belief, paying attention to nutrition is also quite important for PLers Too small for your frame and you won't be moving very big numbers unless you eat more, and too fat for your frame and you will be less competitive in your weight class. Not anything for newbs to really worry about, but if/when you start getting more serious into and and several meets under your belt, nutrition plays a big role - especially when trying to maximize strength when cutting, etc.
    Gym PRs:

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

Registered User TrampasaursFlex's Avatar
    TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, paying attention to nutrition is also quite important for PLers Too small for your frame and you won't be moving very big numbers unless you eat more, and too fat for your frame and you will be less competitive in your weight class. Not anything for newbs to really worry about, but if/when you start getting more serious into and and several meets under your belt, nutrition plays a big role - especially when trying to maximize strength when cutting, etc.
    I know my statement was general, but I was really referring more to the cutting that BBers do starting with the very first competition, and my own experiences with dieting, not saying that I don't think nutrition is important to PLers.

Last year I tried to diet down to a bit less than I weigh now so I could bulk back up and it made me completely miserable and also started to give me weird issues with food that I'd never had before that started to border on unhealthy. And I wasn't even doing anything that's extreme or unhealthy or unreasonable with regards to my calorie or macro intake. There are plenty of women who are my height who have little to no problems dieting down to 10-15 pounds less than where I'm at now, but for me it didn't work at all. Having to subject myself to that once or twice a year would make me unhappy and make the sport far less enjoyable than I'd like it to be.

I feel like with PL, I'm attentive to nutrition with the purpose of being as strong as possible. I do understand that ultimately, even in PL, the idea is to have the highest ratio of muscle to fat possible in order to maximize strength in my given weight class. I track macros, I don't go nuts with calories, etc. It's just that in PL, no one's ever going to tell me that my competition weight needs to be 115 pounds at my current height, you know?

Fwiw Birdie, I've been a long time lurker and I think you're a total badass and one of my favorite posters. Your advice is always spot on and your physique is SICK and I feel kinda honored that you replied to me, lol. So thank you!
    Last edited by TrampasaursFlex; 12-12-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Originally Posted by TrampasaursFlex View Post
    I know my statement was general, but I was really referring more to the cutting that BBers do starting with the very first competition, and my own experiences with dieting, not saying that I don't think nutrition is important to PLers.

Last year I tried to diet down to a bit less than I weigh now so I could bulk back up and it made me completely miserable and also started to give me weird issues with food that I'd never had before that started to border on unhealthy. And I wasn't even doing anything that's extreme or unhealthy or unreasonable with regards to my calorie or macro intake. There are plenty of women who are my height who have little to no problems dieting down to 10-15 pounds less than where I'm at now, but for me it didn't work at all. Having to subject myself to that once or twice a year would make me unhappy and make the sport far less enjoyable than I'd like it to be.

I feel like with PL, I'm attentive to nutrition with the purpose of being as strong as possible. I do understand that ultimately, even in PL, the idea is to have the highest ratio of muscle to fat possible in order to maximize strength in my given weight class. I track macros, I don't go nuts with calories, etc. It's just that in PL, no one's ever going to tell me that my competition weight needs to be 115 pounds at my current height, you know?

Fwiw Birdie, I've been a long time lurker and I think you're a total badass and one of my favorite posters. Your advice is always spot on and your physique is SICK and I feel kinda honored that you replied to me, lol. So thank you!
    I totally agree that in regards to nutrition and PLing it draws the crowd who is less inclined to think low BF and being super lean is the end-all-be-all, which IMO is awesome (cause there are FAR too many ladies who get stuck worried about being "too fat" when they can pinch a bit). Don't want you to think I was picking on your post, but a common misconception of PLers it that they are all huge and fat and can't walk a flight of stairs without keeling over - when in fact the best PLers (aside from SHW where when scale weight no longer matters, being unhealthily fat does help leverages...) have just enough BF so performance is still high, and many could likely walk on stage of a BB-type competition after a 12 week cut if they desired (Dan Green, etc etc).

Even with that in mind, the chase of weight on bar and NOT "what I look like" helps give a much healthier mindset in the long run (again, IMO). Like everyone else I am not perfect, and those days when I end up chowing down more than I "should" have, in the long run....as long as I lift heavy it all works out in the end

And you have totally made my day mentioning me as a poster, thank you! I don't post as much as I used to but try to stop in here and still help/share some of the things i've learned on my own road
    Gym PRs:

cassandraus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cassandraus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cassandraus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey all!!

I recommend you to start working with a trainer. A personal trainer can guide you down the path to fitness by creating a specific exercise routine for you.

More than just an instructor, a personal trainer can help you come up with the right workout plan to meet your goals. Whether it's losing a few pounds, toning up your arms, or flattening your stomach for swimsuit season, a personal trainer can help you get there.

yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've been powerlifting for almost 2 years, I started out with a workout program on bodybuilding.com Check out the workout program section in bb.com I started out with Mike O' Hearn's powerlifting program.
    MuscleTech Representative

*CountryMike Appreciation Crew*

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cassandraus View Post
    Hey all!!

I recommend you to start working with a trainer. A personal trainer can guide you down the path to fitness by creating a specific exercise routine for you.

More than just an instructor, a personal trainer can help you come up with the right workout plan to meet your goals. Whether it's losing a few pounds, toning up your arms, or flattening your stomach for swimsuit season, a personal trainer can help you get there.
    bad advice , a personal trainer and powerlifting don't mix well unless the personal trainer is a powerlifter in which case he /she would be called a coach
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nikkicp View Post
    I really want to get into powerlifting!
    I have been lifting for a while, but mostly at a bodybuilding/fitness level. Mostly looking for beginners advice and how you personally got started. Do you think it's necessary to get a trainer? Tips?

Thanks!!
    not a female but here's my $.02 since gender is irrelevant
    you don't necessarily need a coach though if you know of one it will help get you started, for many beginners a strength training book is all you need to get started
    "starting strength" by Mark Rippetoe is a great way to get started . You also will get better advice on the powerlifting forum on this site, at the very least you need to find a program for novice lifters and follow it
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10) nikkicp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by melDorado View Post
    Been training for 2 years, powerlifting for a year, absolutely love it, can't recommend enough.
    Its empowering for women because the emphasis is on sport and not what you look like or weigh. But it will change your body a lot, in a good way.
    If you begin with stronglifts 5x5 I don't see why a trainer is completely necessary, post your vids of lifts on here so we can advise your form, don't be embarrassed its important. Make sure your eat well lots of protein, if you're slim bulk a bit.
    If I could give one advice its that from now on your one of the guys at the gym. You don't do girl exercises any more (except maybe planks lol) you are doing what the most serious guys are doing...and you can do it just as serious as them. and soon trust me you will be squatting and deadlifting more than most of the guys there (mainly cos they don't do it!)
    Got my first meet in Feb -excited

Thanks!!! Good luck at your meet

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    not a female but here's my $.02 since gender is irrelevant
    you don't necessarily need a coach though if you know of one it will help get you started, for many beginners a strength training book is all you need to get started
    "starting strength" by Mark Rippetoe is a great way to get started . You also will get better advice on the powerlifting forum on this site, at the very least you need to find a program for novice lifters and follow it
    Thanks! I will check out that book to start