Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cm85 View Post
    I'm not opposed to something like that, but I feel they definitely should have had more spotters for Lilly's squat. It wouldn't have prevented the first knee injury, but it could have saved the weight coming down on him.
    That bar hit the ground before nearly anybody knew what was happening. Having more people around him would have resulted in feet being crushed. I think straps are the way to go or maybe some safeties similar to the ones used on bench, though I can think of several reasons why those wouldn't be ideal.
    615/385/635

samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
    please dont mention blaha in the same post as lilly.
    or how about just don't mention him in the PL forum or anything PL related.

hope lilly gets better
    Recovering fatass

getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000) getout87 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They don't need safety systems, they just needed more spotters for that kind of weight. Jesse Norris fell backwards twice at our last meet with 725 on his back, but the spotters easily caught it each time because we had five of them.
    you could have had 10 people spotting, and 10 people would have still been reacting when the bar hit the ground. there was really nothing they could have done.

WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by samsont View Post
    or how about just don't mention him in the PL forum or anything PL related.

hope lilly gets better
    Haha
    "Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
    -Henry Rollins

"Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not."
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by getout87 View Post
    you could have had 10 people spotting, and 10 people would have still been reacting when the bar hit the ground. there was really nothing they could have done.
    This is true. It doesn't matter how many spotters you have when 750 lbs decides to come crashing down, it's going to hurt someone and or something. Safety straps are the only way to go.
    Official Supp. Misc Beer Crew

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them
    Iron fist to claim it all

WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
    This is true. It doesn't matter how many spotters you have when 750 lbs decides to come crashing down, it's going to hurt someone and or something. Safety straps are the only way to go.
    I don't understand why safety straps aren't mandatory for anything over 405lbs on a squat. I'm new to the sport and I don't know about rules and regs, all the ins and outs...however, it just seems like safety straps on a mono is the most natural way to go to help prevent catastrophes.

Someone aware me since I'm ignorant, but that's just from an outside perspective.
    -Henry Rollins

"Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not."
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WN86 View Post
    I don't understand why safety straps aren't mandatory for anything over 405lbs on a squat. I'm new to the sport and I don't know about rules and regs, all the ins and outs...however, it just seems like safety straps on a mono is the most natural way to go to help prevent catastrophes.

Someone aware me since I'm ignorant, but that's just from an outside perspective.
    A lot of meets are at venues that require the transportation of the competition rack and warm-ups racks to the location. Monolifts aren't really that common in my experience, so it would require extra $$$ to purchase a monolift in a sport that doesn't have a lot of cash flow in the first place.

Plus, it's harder to judge and is less visually appealing to the audience with extra equipment in the way. I realize that's a matter of opinion, but I feel a lot of people think along those lines. Plenty of IPF meets have gone on for decades and seem to just fine with 800-1000+ lb loads being walked out and squatted without extra safety precautions.
    Last edited by BombDonald; 01-30-2014 at 09:49 PM.

cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cm85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Plus I was competing in a meet once with a mono, and somebody dumped 800 and it busted right through the safety straps. Those straps must have been pretty crappy thinking back on it.
    Gym Lifts
    Squat 480-7/7/13
    Bench paused 330-9/27/13
    Deadlift 500-5/16/13

470/300/530-Competition lifts as of 5/25/13-1300 raw

*Currently Broken

Registered User RyanLikesToLift's Avatar
    RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by coachdeez View Post
    Also, I don't think he has been training heavy the last few months. I overheard him saying that he has been squatting light (for him) weight for reps and drilling perfect technique. Whenever form breaks down he deloads and does more reps. If I remember correctly, I think he said that 565x5x5 is the most he's done recently.
    This caught me off guard for sure, following his logs and training videos. I was surprised he was doing so much volume/accumulation work right up until a few weeks ago?? Especially with big meets like RUM7 coming up very soon for him. I know that not everyone peaks the same, but I would've expected him to be incorporating heavier movements not just 4x8s and stuff like that.... I don't know if this would have prevented anything, but I feel like if the heaviest weight you've worked with in months is 565, 750+ can be kinda daunting. Much respect to Brandon and hoping him the swiftest of recoveries.
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158241233
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRL_G36Q7yg2Hk_er43QC4Q/videos

Registered User RyanLikesToLift's Avatar
    RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RyanLikesToLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain View Post
    That ambulance ride is still probably 5 grand. We should set up a donation page.
    Also, I think it's interesting how an insurance company considers his ambulance ride voluntary or non-mandatory or whatever their description was..... He's a 330lb dude who can't stand up. How else is he feasibly getting to the hospital?
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158241233
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRL_G36Q7yg2Hk_er43QC4Q/videos

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by RyanLikesToLift View Post
    Also, I think it's interesting how an insurance company considers his ambulance ride voluntary or non-mandatory or whatever their description was..... He's a 330lb dude who can't stand up. How else is he feasibly getting to the hospital?
    basically if you're conscious....and/or not bleeding severely, you can get a ride to the hospital that isn't an ambulance.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RyanLikesToLift View Post
    The insurance company will end up paying for everything aside from any deductible.

Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    A lot of meets are at venues that require the transportation of the competition rack and warm-ups racks to the location. Monolifts aren't really that common in my experience, so it would require extra $$$ to purchase a monolift in a sport that doesn't have a lot of cash flow in the first place.

Plus, it's harder to judge and is less visually appealing to the audience with extra equipment in the way. I realize that's a matter of opinion, but I feel a lot of people think along those lines. Plenty of IPF meets have gone on for decades and seem to just fine with 800-1000+ lb loads being walked out and squatted without extra safety precautions.
    Makes sense. I work in a stainless steel pipe shop and we have TOSHA standards implemented here out the whazoo. I think in terms of safety more often than not. Not blaming my job, but that's just kind of my line of thought even outside the sphere of work. You made a lot of good points about that, though. Money would pose a problem and from all the stories I hear about poor judging in some Feds, it would be a shame to impair the judges line of sight to the lift more. It would still be nice to have better safeties for these events, nonetheless.
    -Henry Rollins

-Neil deGrasse Tyson

breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by getout87 View Post
    I'm pretty sure everything that tore in Brandon's knee tore before the bar dropped abruptly... I don't think it would have done much good for the spotters to catch it more quickly. That said, it would be safer for the spotters if they had safety straps or chains, but regardless of your set up, bad things can happen. Heck, at a meet where I was at recently they had safety chains, but a spotter got his hand caught either between the chains and the bar or the rack and the bar and it slice off a piece of his finger... this sort of lifting is dangerous no matter what, but it certainly helps to cover all your bases when you can.
    637/390tng/615 - belt/wraps, best gym lifts.
    600/370/600 - best competition lifts.
    575/330/560 - best competition lifts at 181 raw.
    "I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - 1 Cor 9:27

dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000) dunnie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lol at all the debate

say all you want all you gotta do is to squat in a squat rack.

pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by breathinglife View Post
    I'm pretty sure everything that tore in Brandon's knee tore before the bar dropped abruptly... .
    I agree with this.

Originally Posted by dunnie View Post
    lol at all the debate

say all you want all you gotta do is to squat in a squat rack.
    Squatting in a rack may have saved is meniscus in the right knee but thats about it. You can see the tendon pop on his left side, but what you may not realize is the tendons in his right side are gone by the time the bar hits the floor from the massive amount of tension being transferred to them in the tenth of a second after the left side popped.

Registered User ValorPerformanc's Avatar
    ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ValorPerformanc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I hope to see him back at it at some point even if it is not on the platform. Hoping he logs his recovery and rehab too. Love that ****.
    Instagram, I follow back:
    @Mr_Diamond7

Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Animal Rep has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Animal Pak: 30 years strong....

If my PM box is full hit me up at my office:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111327681

Forum: http://forum.animalpak.com/

Site: www.animalpak.com

New Universal Site: http://www.universalusa.com

gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8cox has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Plus I was competing in a meet once with a mono, and somebody dumped 800 and it busted right through the safety straps. Those straps must have been pretty crappy thinking back on it.
    Well, that is a good point they DO need STRONG straps if they are going that route. There are industrial straps that can take far more weight than any 10 humans can lift.

Thinking of this logically, with adjustable traps that can be quickly adjusted 3" below where any particular lifter's bar is at parallel, could at least minimize the extent of some of the injury.

Even if the set up is less visually appealing to the audience, its still worth it IMHO. Seeing a guy get taken all the way down like that is not visually appealing to anyone but sickos.

Even if the straps only made it less severe by saving just one tendon, its STILL worth it.

In the case of some lifters straps HAVE made a big difference. Look up the Mark Bell squat fail. Did he get hurt? YES, was it as bad as what happened to Brandon? No where close. Long Term Prognosis far better.

Powerlifting is a sport where an athlete is testing the up limits of his power. If risk can be minimized it ought to be.

Whenever something really bad like this happens we should learn from it.

Even if in this case it might not have made a huge difference, in the case of some lifters in the future it could save their strength career.

powerlifting and stuff Big.Jazayrli's Avatar
    Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ValorPerformanc View Post
    I hope to see him back at it at some point even if it is not on the platform. Hoping he logs his recovery and rehab too. Love that ****.
    I have a pretty strong feeling we'll see him back in competition on the platform
    Picking things up and putting them down since '09

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by isaku900 View Post
    basically if you're conscious....and/or not bleeding severely, you can get a ride to the hospital that isn't an ambulance.
    Technically, every ride is voluntary. Everyone has the right to refuse no matter what their condition. There are only a couple exceptions for implied consent. But, you could have just lost both your arms and legs in a horrific accident, sign the form to deny treatment with a pen in your mouth, and the paramedics legally have to leave you alone.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain View Post
    Technically, every ride is voluntary. Everyone has the right to refuse no matter what their condition. There are only a couple exceptions for implied consent. But, you could have just lost both your arms and legs in a horrific accident, sign the form to deny treatment with a pen in your mouth, and the paramedics legally have to leave you alone.
    this

rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000) rawelite is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a monolift built by Jesse Rogers.. SPF president. It's very easy to take apart and move to a venue and get back together. I actually had a meet on the second floor of a best western and all I had to get all my crap up there was a small freight elevator. I also use Spud straps and I can contest to the fact that they can handle any weight you throw at them. I've seen 1000 dumped on them with no problem.
    Stupid should be painful.

Best lifts-

Raw squat-705
    Raw bench-525
    Raw deadlift-710

BW-235

wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500) wenen is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by breathinglife View Post
    Hmmm... that's weird. Insurance companies are the worst.
    hey there
    --Has had anal intercourse with David Letterman but decides to keep it on the down-low crew--