aprilsveryown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Confused on fat loss nutrition

Hi folks im not too sure if someone has posted something of this nature before but i was hoping that with the immense amount of people on this site that if ideally find out the information i require.

basically im 21 going on 22 in April and as of the January i was probably in the worst shape of my life. being 6'0 and weighing about 250 pounds with a body fat anything from 27-30%. i have since then started to eat clean and go to the gym at least 2-4 times weekly, with my sessions including HIIT training and some weight lifting. Most of my fat is in my lower body such as thighs, butt and some showing in my stomach area and some in my chest. As far as nutrition is concerned i have been eating salad's with tuna and sometimes chicken, thus far ive seen a bit of change but i know that ive still got a long way to go. i roughly eat 2-3 meals a day, not including a postwork protein shake.
    so typically my day would be

breakfast- cup of coffee with no sugar or milk, possibly oatmeal or a small serving of nut based cereal. and on the occasion a piece of fruit such as an apple, banana or a pear.

post workout- whey protein shake

lunch- a plate of mixed leaf salad with carrots, typically with tuna or chicken if im feeling up for it.

dinner- mixed salad with 1/2 boiled eggs and tuna/chicken.

my calorie intake for the day varies between 1,200-1,600

on the odd occasion if i work out later in the day than expected i might miss lunch and just go for dinner.
    The thing is rarely feel hungry considered the way ive been eating, so you could say this is working for me.
    here lies the issue

i have been told many a times that i should eat anything from 5-6 times a day, smaller meals of course. This is where one of my issues comes as i dont feel to eat more frequently especially as what im doing is currently working. i dont intend to eat salads forever as im intending to transition to vegetables and lean meats and fish withing the coming months.

my main questions centralize around...
    1. Is what im currently doing is good based on what the body needs nutritionally speaking ?
    2. is taking a post workout shake necessary if my quest is to lose fat/weight, even though i do some weight training
    3. what should my gym sessions consist more of ? more weights or more cardio ?
    4. Just any generally advice or tips from those that have been through what im going or been in my shoes.

i will greatly appreciate it if anyone can chyme in on this.

Thank you

i do apologize for the length of this post

Im just really tying to perfect my diet and nutrition as i make this a way of life, i don't want to be wasting time doing it all wrong and come the following year im back in the cycle of eating unhealthy and stuff.

Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000) Ahmed81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I highly suggest that you read the stickies in the nutrition sub-forum. You are severely under eating at 1600 calories and are at risk of metabolic damage. Using the stickies, calculate your BMR and TDEE (you'll find out what those are when you read) and construct a sustainable diet based on these values.

Good luck
    My story:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160403891

Nutrition and debunked myths for noobies:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155909423

Live above the influence & hit your macros

IG: @BadnEvil

Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turd Ferguson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Ahmed81 View Post
    I highly suggest that you read the stickies in the nutrition sub-forum. You are severely under eating at 1600 calories and are at risk of metabolic damage. Using the stickies, calculate your BMR and TDEE (you'll find out what those are when you read) and construct a sustainable diet based on these values.

Good luck
    ^This

I am 221 lbs as of this morning and I've been averaging around 2500 calories/day and I am losing weight. At 240, you can be eating a lot more than you are and still lose weight. If you keep going at the pace that you are, you're going to get burned out on salads and the lack of calories you are consuming is going to drive you insane.

You need to be getting A LOT more protein and fat than you are right now.

As far as gym work, you need more weight training. Check out the stickies and grab a good beginners program for weight training and start doing that. Taking a post workout shake is fine.

Hi guys thanks for your advice since your replies ive changed things and have dropped to 227, ive still got a long way to go, i just want your opinions on my current regiment, i know there is a wealth of info in the forums which ive looked through but sometimes its just alot to look through and find the advice i need and sometimes i see things that contradict each other. but yeah here is my current plan
    My gym sessions vary from 4-5 a week, at least 2 out of those sessions are strictly HIIT with other cardio such as rowing or cycling. The days that i dont do HIIT i do jog for about 10 min to warm up followed by a brief weights session varying different body parts per day and then closing my workout with a 20 min jog at a brisk pace.

As for nutrition things stands as 4-5 meals a day not including post work out shakes on days i lift or nuts for snacks

breakfast- cup of coffee with stevia no milk + serving of oat meal made with coconut milk

post workout- whey protein shake (days i lift)

lunch- 150g of fish + 100g of brocoli

Snack- 20 almonds or other nuts (on the odd occasion)

meal 3- 150g of fish + 100g of brocoli

dinner- 200g of either lean turkey or chicken + 180g of cooked brown rice

all my neats and fish are grilled no added oils or sauces, just herbs and spices for flavour.

my calorie intake for the day varies between 1,600-2,000.

questions
    1. gym wise am i heading in the right direction ?
    2. Just any generally advice or tips from those that have been through what im going or been in my shoes.

i will greatly appreciate it if anyone can chyme in on this.

Thank you

i do apologize for the length of this post

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    ^This

I am 221 lbs as of this morning and I've been averaging around 2500 calories/day and I am losing weight. At 240, you can be eating a lot more than you are and still lose weight. If you keep going at the pace that you are, you're going to get burned out on salads and the lack of calories you are consuming is going to drive you insane.

You need to be getting A LOT more protein and fat than you are right now.

As far as gym work, you need more weight training. Check out the stickies and grab a good beginners program for weight training and start doing that. Taking a post workout shake is fine.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The foods you eat don't matter for fat loss mate, focus on calories and macros. Give this stuff a read:

1. Get rid of your misconceptions
    2. Calculate your calories and macros
    3. Eat about 20% less calories than you burn each day while still meeting minimum protein and fat. Get the remainder of cals from carbs.
    4. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that you eat.
    5. Count calories using a site like MyFitnessPal. Here's how to count properly.
    6. Lift heavy weights to preserve muscle mass, on a program like Starting Strength. Why not your own routine? Read this.
    7. If nothing happens after 3 weeks, reexamine calculations, and eat less.

Compose a diet of foods you enjoy that meet your calorie and macro goals. If you really enjoy fish, broccoli, nuts, and shakes, fine, but don't eat a bland diet of "clean" foods you don't find satisfying thinking that will accelerate fat loss.

Thank you for your advice, that puts things into perspective