Paintanker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When to Stretch, When not to

I was wondering if there is an optimal time to stretch, and a time when it is detrimental to stretch, in respect to weight lifting. I heard stretching afterward helps tear more muscle fibres, which is good for building it back. But maybe stretching when your body is recovering will hinder the recovery process. I don't know. Can you tell me if during these times it's good, bad, or not important one way or the other?

1) Right before starting the workout
    2) In between sets, stretching the muscle just worked
    3) Right after finishing the workout
    4) Later that day, having worked out in the morning
    5) The next day, or even the day after that, when your muscles are sore

Thanks

nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nzbenf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have always been a strong believer in NEVER stretching before or during training UNLESS you have a certain area that has serious flexibility issues, ie calves or shoulders for squats. If you are able to complete an exercise without any flexibility issues then you do not need to stretch, also if you have a balanced training routine, all of your muscles should be trained fairly evenly which should eliminate any muscle imbalances.
    As far as stretching goes, the best time is when your muscles are warmed up i.e after a training session.
    I have always thought along the lines of, you are wanting your muscle to contract strong, so why confuse it by telling it to get as long as possible before you lift. I have read some articles that suggest that stretching before a set can reduce your lift because of the reason above.
    A mind without purpose will wander in dark places.

Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In track days it was serious stretching before and after, but always when very warm. Just hitting the weights now I actually don't stretch at all. Many say on here not to stretch at all beforehand, and if you do make it a dynamic stretch (like arm circles sort of thing), otherwise static stretching can detract from your lifting performance. So, according to the wisdom on the forums, right after when you're warm. I don't bother though and my muscles haven't particularly whined at me for not stretching.

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do 3 4 and 5.
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i never stretch pre-wo, instead i do lots of warmup sets. after training i immediately stretch that muscle group (e.g. dead hang from pullup bar after training back)

Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Millineum Man is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    After lifting

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I stretch before, during and after my routine. Dynamic stretching mostly. I'm very surprised to see people adamantly don't stretch beforehand in this thread.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrWanknSpank is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My Sergeant has always told me to stretch before AND after a workout. Stretching is key for any kind of workout. Now bodybuilding I'm not so sure of, because I only do calesthetics, but I'm sure stretching during the workout couldn't hurt either.

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I stretch all the time. It's not bad for you like some people would make you believe, and most people that argue against stretching (lol) don't understand the mechanics or practical application for it anyways.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    I stretch before, during and after my routine. Dynamic stretching mostly. I'm very surprised to see people adamantly don't stretch beforehand in this thread.
    Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    I stretch all the time. It's not bad for you like some people would make you believe, and most people that argue against stretching (lol) don't understand the mechanics or practical application for it anyways.
    ^^^

Light warm up.
    Light dynamic stretching.

Workout.

Static stretching.