masshi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

So, uh, I need help on creating a diet.

Alright, so a little backstory:

I'm 21 years old (22 in October) and have been underweight all my life. Back when I was a bit younger and in high school, I was really into the whole androgyny thing and was totally fine with being skinny. I was also really deluded about how "good-looking" I was and all that.

Since then, though, I've really humbled myself (maybe even to the point of developing an inferiority complex). I just really hate the way I look, the way I think, and how I have so little motivation to do anything. I'm not cultured, not particularly knowledgeable on anything, have no extraordinary skills, am pretty stupid, and I have very low self-esteem as a result of all of this.

I also don't have a social life, and due to my taking a year off after high school and another problem (the university I want to transfer to won't be accepting Spring 2013 transfers), I'm two years behind on my studies compared to my similarly aged peers (which really bums me out since many of them are already graduating while I haven't even started on my major program).

And there's a lot of other crap, too, but blah, I don't think anybody will care.

--

ANYWAY, in an effort to better my mind (self-esteem) and body, I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to get in better shape. It's always been a bucket list type of thing for me since graduating high school (three years ago now), but it really hit me then. I had prepared some instant noodles one day and had an epiphany as I looked down at the bowl. I just... didn't want to eat it. I knew that it was gonna be bad for me and didn't want anything to do with crap food anymore.

Unfortunately, like I mentioned earlier, I have motivation issues, which explains why I haven't started on working out or eating as healthily as I could, yet, despite it being nearly a month later. But now, while I'm in an up and slightly motivated mood, I've decided to get on it before the mood wears off again.

--

So, here's the info:

- 5'8" (5'8.75" to be exact if it matters), ~125 lbs / ~174 cm, ~56 kg

- based on what others have told me, I have around 12~13% body fat

- As for how efficient my metabolism is, I'm not really sure. I mean, before having had that epiphany, I ate pretty much anything and ate stupidly (e.g. a big bag of chips for dinner). But the thing is, I don't know whether it's because I only ate two meals a day on average (i.e. underweightedness due to a caloric deficit), or because my metabolism really is that fast that explains why I'm not fat or skinny-fat.

- On an average day, I don't do anything physically intensive.

This is what an ordinary day looks like, for example:

- wake up
    - poop
    - eat breakfast
    - poop again/go on laptop
    - shower
    - play video games/more laptop with TV in the background
    - eat dinner
    - brush teeth
    - more games/laptop/TV
    - sleep

The only "exercise" I get is the walking to and from the kitchen and bathroom from my room.

- "Ottermode" is my dream body/goal. It's in the last attachment.

I know that guys get a lot of flack (or at least, from what I've seen on the forums) for only wanting to pursue an otter physique, but I legitimately like the skinny-lean (if that makes sense) look of it. I don't want to be big because, as dumb of a reason as it might be, I like how clothing looks on slim builds. I don't want to come off as intimidating, either (once again, probably a dumb reason, but I'm also a loser virgin with minimal female contact, so please bare with me).

- To achieve that goal, I'm going on Starting Strength since that's what everybody seems to recommend. I've read, though, that it isn't supposed to be an aesthetic program, so I am open to suggestions on more efficient routines.

Though on the flip-side, since I am so skinny, people have said that for me personally, it could/would work as an aesthetic program. And, I'll need some strength to pursue the more "aesthetic-y" work-outs, anyway, won't I? But still, I'm kind of conflicted. I know this is the nutrition forum, but if you could steer me in the right direction regarding what program I should be on, I'd more than appreciate it.

- The other attachments are of me both relaxed and tense from three different angles (only two for the tense ones, since I think I reached the attachment limit). And yes, that really is me tensed up. Either I just don't look that different when tensed, or I don't know *how* to tense up/flex.

*WARNING* I'm ugly, skinny, and have a small package. And my hands are red because I washed them with hot water prior to taking those pics.

- I'm East Asian (dad is Japanese, mom is Taiwanese). I don't know if there's any merit to it, but apparently, Asian genetics are a factor in one thing or another when it comes to working out?

--

Now for the actual nutrition and stuff:

This is a rough idea of what I (a dumbass newbie) have so far, but before that:

- I'm aiming for 2500 calories a day (should I eat more than this, though, keeping in mind that I'm not trying to get super big in the first place?), so that's an extra 3500 calories a week for muscle growth (?)

- I'm still reading up on ratios, and have read that 25/50/25 (protein/carbs/fat) is the ideal ratio for a skinny guy? (from the Starting Strength wiki)

- I'm lactose-intolerant. Is this going to cause problems?

- I'm poor.

Alright, so here's the rough draft diet (unfortunately, without measured out portions):

Breakfast:

- a bowl of oatmeal w/ Silk almond milk (vanilla flavor for taste)
    - two spoonfuls of peanut butter (JIF brand) mixed in
    - two spoonfuls of Smucker's jam (for taste) mixed in
    - two sliced up bananas into the oatmeal
    - one orange
    - one hard-boiled egg (will probably be with something to flavor it, but haven't decided on what, yet)

Lunch:

- two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on Orowheat 100% whole wheat bread (four slices of bread)
    - some kind of salad (still don't know what goes into a salad; going to be making it myself using local grocery store chain [Safeway] produce)
    - some kind of fatty dressing for taste
    - one hard-boiled egg

Pre-Workout:

- one banana

Post-Workout:

- whey protein shake

Dinner:

- I have no idea. Dinner should probably have chicken breast or something in it, though, right (not sure about quantity, though)? And be heavy in carbs (or does that "no carbs in the evening" saying have merit to it?)?

I'm thinking of having another side of vegetables, too (probably the same salad from lunch).

Snacks:

- Once again, I have no idea regarding what to eat and when.

So as you can see, I'm lacking in a lot of areas and lost as to how I should fill them in healthily. In particular:

- What supplements should I be taking? I've heard fish oil is good, and in addition to the whey, I've read about maltodextrin and dextrose supplements. Are those necessary?

- Does that look like enough protein, or should I stick more in?

- What should my snacks be comprised of? Are they even necessary if I make the three daily meals larger?

- On rest days, do I still need to drink protein drinks?

- Am I getting enough vegetables and fruits? I mean, I know I didn't specify the exact portions, but still...

- And I know in the sticky it says that I most likely won't be able to eat the same thing everyday, but I really do think that I can. At least, up until dinner, anyway. I used to eat the same breakfast and lunch in my middle and early high school years, and I don't enjoy the process of eating, anyway. If it'll make for greater efficiency, I honestly don't think I'll mind it. I don't know whether this is just naivety and hopeless optimism or whatever, but yeah...

- And there's a lot more I can't think of at the moment. I think it's been two hours since I typed up that first line and am kind of drawing blanks at the moment.

Anyway, please, rip me a new one. As a total newbie, I need the harsh truth. Tell me where my diet is completely stupid, whether I've given sufficient enough info for good advice (I tried to follow what the sticky said, but I probably missed a lot), whether my goal is unrealistic, etc. I need to hear (read) it.

And thank you to whoever bothered to read all of this.
    Attached Images

Once more into the fray.. IrishPilot's Avatar
    IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome bud. Start with this...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

add some of this...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

...and add calories as necessary!
    Team Never Full
    Craft Beer Crew

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tldr

Btw you're on a bodybuilding forum and you don't even lift or exercise?
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

masshi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Tldr

Btw you're on a bodybuilding forum and you don't even lift or exercise?
    I gotta start somewhere.

And thanks Irish, I'll check those topics out.

tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by masshi View Post
    I gotta start somewhere.

And thanks Irish, I'll check those topics out.
    Follow those stickies, but honestly you need to workout. Also, saying metabolism is fast just means you need to eat more to gain weight.

Being poor isn't a problem either, there are many threads about very cheap ways to eat I believe someone put together a plan to live off of <200 a month for food

For a workout I suggest a routine for beginners that is proven like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

I would suggest more of a life change than just exercise though, that's a fairly boring lifestyle get involved in something or study hard and get ahead in school so you can graduate quickly. I'm not sure what school you go to but almost every school has activities, be active and enjoy life young.

drewkemp23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewkemp23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Personally I am a believer in eating carbs before you lift. Honestly though if you are trying to bulk up carbs are fine for dinner and after you work out. The other thing is you probably want a workout plan. If you go to college you will probably have a gym to work out in for free then if you need one i can print out a sports based workout but I know that not what you want but its goten me relatively big. But I dont have the guns that body builders have but functionally I am pretty strong and feel good. If you want it jsut tell me.