JayBuilderman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayBuilderman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayBuilderman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayBuilderman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Tell me what went wrong?

Hi

I've been hard working on weight training for the past two months. I goal is losing fat and building muscle, and I know many people get rid of their fat by adding more muscle because muscle raises metabolic rate. I do weight training 4 times a week and sometimes 20 minutes HIIT in the rest day. My muscle looks bigger and I can lift heavier now. But I don't look lean, especially the belly fat's still there. I've been tracking my weight and body fat every single week at the same condition (to avoid bias). Sadly the result didn't change. It's always 162lbs and 19% (5'9'').

I want to know where did it go wrong?

eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eliseash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Are you tracking calories/ know how many to eat to create a deficit?

JayBuilderman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayBuilderman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayBuilderman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayBuilderman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For the past two months I didn't track it because I read some article says that calorie count is not necessary if you eat 5~6 small portion of meal, because your body will tell you if the calorie intake is enough or not by getting hungry. But this way seems not work for me, so I started tracking calories and nutrition intake since yesterday. My goal is carb: 230g, protein: 230g, fat:80g, total calorie intake: 2560Kcal a day. I don't know if it will work for me or not, but I'll get it a try.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JayBuilderman View Post
    For the past two months I didn't track it because I read some article says that calorie count is not necessary if you eat 5~6 small portion of meal, because your body will tell you if the calorie intake is enough or not by getting hungry. But this way seems not work for me, so I started tracking calories and nutrition intake since yesterday. My goal is carb: 230g, protein: 230g, fat:80g, total calorie intake: 2560Kcal a day. I don't know if it will work for me or not, but I'll get it a try.
    Sounds more like maintenance than a cutting goal mate. Check this out:

1. Get rid of your misconceptions
    2. Calculate your calories and macros
    3. Eat about 20% less calories than you burn each day while still meeting minimum protein and fat. Get the remainder of cals from carbs.
    4. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that goes in your pie hole.
    5. Count calories using a site like MyFitnessPal. Count 'em like an accountant with OCD.
    6. Lift heavy weights to preserve muscle mass, on a program like Starting Strength
    7. If nothing happens after 3 weeks, reexamine calculations, and eat less.

Thanks. I got my suggested calorie intake: 2800Kcal (carbs:250g, protein:225g, fat:100g) on workout day and 2400Kcal (carbs:150g, protein:225g, fat:100g) on rest day. Hope it will work for me. BTW how do you guys estimate the volume of the meal if you eat out?

mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks. I got my suggested calorie intake: 2800Kcal (carbs:250g, protein:225g, fat:100g) on workout day and 2400Kcal (carbs:150g, protein:225g, fat:100g) on rest day. Hope it will work for me. BTW how do you guys estimate the volume of the meal if you eat out?
    If you go to a chain just look up the calories on their website and track it that way.

JLos73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What do you do for a job? The reason I ask is that unless you are doing something physical like loading a truck in addition to your time at the gym this seems like a really high calorie goal for cutting. Even if you are working out 5 days a week at a really intense level I would think your maintenance would be in the neighborhood of 2600 cals which mean you should be cutting around 2100 cals/day with at least 130g of protein and 65g of fat.

Just my 2 cents though, I'm no expert.

Originally Posted by mjdieth View Post
    If you go to a chain just look up the calories on their website and track it that way.
    Thanks. It will be a good way when I eat in a chain restaurant.

JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JLos73 View Post
    What do you do for a job? The reason I ask is that unless you are doing something physical like loading a truck in addition to your time at the gym this seems like a really high calorie goal for cutting. Even if you are working out 5 days a week at a really intense level I would think your maintenance would be in the neighborhood of 2600 cals which mean you should be cutting around 2100 cals/day with at least 130g of protein and 65g of fat.

I agree. I'm cutting on 2200ish calories @ around 210 lbs. There's no way you are going to lose weight on 2800 @ 155lbs.

Originally Posted by JLos73 View Post

I am a grad school student. Mainly using the computer all day long except working out.
    I estimated with the reference : bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size-nutrition.html and forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Originally Posted by JVRICHARDS View Post
    I agree. I'm cutting on 2200ish calories @ around 210 lbs. There's no way you are going to lose weight on 2800 @ 155lbs.
    Can you tell me how you calculate how much calorie you need?

Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Muscle actually doesn't burn that many calories. Back in the day numbers floated were 50 cal/day per pound of muscle. Recent science has found it's way less than this. It's not metabolically free, but any serious increase in calories you need would take quite a while to build the muscle of. Moreover, it's going to increase your appetite in any case.

If you want to lose fat: lose fat. Don't try and build muscle. Nobody wants to be the dreaded skinny-fat, but if losing fat is your goal, cut food intake.
    For the past two months I didn't track it because I read some article says that calorie count is not necessary if you eat 5~6 small portion of meal, because your body will tell you if the calorie intake is enough or not by getting hungry. But this way seems not work for me
    Yeah it doesn't work for me, or anybody else because it's nonsense. You do eat too much, cut your cals under 2k day.

JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am a grad school student. Mainly using the computer all day long except working out.
    I estimated with the reference : bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size-nutrition.html and forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Disregard any fitness or nutritional advice the site gives you, but the calculators are accurate.

Originally Posted by JVRICHARDS View Post
    freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Disregard any fitness or nutritional advice the site gives you, but the calculators are accurate.
    Appreciate it! I chose Every day on the exercise level option I do weight training 4 days a week and 20mins-HIIT on the rest day.
    According to the calculator:
    Maintenance 2716 CALORIES/DAY
    Fat Loss 2172 CALORIES/DAY

I'm afraid that if I have enough energy to workout on weight training days and results in hunger.
    I want to prevent being hungry because when you feel hungry, your body uses muscle as fuel, instead of fat.

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I want to prevent being hungry because when you feel hungry, your body uses muscle as fuel, instead of fat.
    NO!!!!!!

Not true at all.

Hunger is hunger. Not you eating up your muscles.

Originally Posted by csb5731 View Post
    NO!!!!!!

Not true at all.

I though hunger is because your body's out of fuel. According to many articles, when you're getting hungry (means low blood sugar level and lacks of carbs), then first fuel to be used is muscle.

Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by csb5731 View Post
    NO!!!!!!

Not true at all.

This. If you actually figure out how to lose weight while not being hungry from time to time please do fill us in on how that's done. I can't even eat maintenance calories without regularly being hungry.
    I though hunger is because your body's out of fuel. According to many articles, when you're getting hungry (means low blood sugar level and lacks of carbs), then first fuel to be used is muscle.
    Fat is what your body uses over muscle as a fuel source. That is the purpose of it. You're hungry because you're no longer taking in food, but it doesn't mean you're out of fuel yet in any case.

bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldawgsam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP you seem to have filled your head with a bunch of bro-science garbage. I strongly suggest you read the stickies and re-educate yourself. Also, at your size and activity level as a grad student sitting around most of the day, you probably can do with 2000 cal/day

Originally Posted by bulldawgsam View Post
    OP you seem to have filled your head with a bunch of bro-science garbage. I strongly suggest you read the stickies and re-educate yourself. Also, at your size and activity level as a grad student sitting around most of the day, you probably can do with 2000 cal/day
    Thanks I will do with 2000 Kcal a day. Btw ss is possible to gain muscle and cut fat at a time? Or I just can archive one of the goal? Gaining muscle needs more calorie intake, but cutting fat needs less calorie intake.

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i get hungry even when i'm bulking and on a high caloric surplus...and there's no way my muscles are eating themselves alive. there's a lot of myths in fat loss and muscle building, OP, now's a good time to learn about what is fact and what is myth.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tremour88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks I will do with 2000 Kcal a day. Btw ss is possible to gain muscle and cut fat at a time? Or I just can archive one of the goal? Gaining muscle needs more calorie intake, but cutting fat needs less calorie intake.
    You can only gain muscle mass while eating a calorie surplus, you may get noob gains if your not used to lifting though.

Also don't confuse strength gain for muscle gain, your lifts may increase but muscle size might not, i'd even go as far to saying you could cut cals down to 1800 or so easily

Originally Posted by tremour88 View Post
    You can only gain muscle mass while eating a calorie surplus, you may get noob gains if your not used to lifting though.

Also don't confuse strength gain for muscle gain, your lifts may increase but muscle size might not, i'd even go as far to saying you could cut cals down to 1800 or so easily
    Thanks man. I cut my cals down to about 1800 these two days, feeling not that hungry. But I'm confused what kind of training will result in increasing muscle strength and what for muscle size.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks man. I cut my cals down to about 1800 these two days, feeling not that hungry. But I'm confused what kind of training will result in increasing muscle strength and what for muscle size.
    There is no difference until you are past an intermediate level of training, as in a couple of years or so.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    There is no difference until you are past an intermediate level of training, as in a couple of years or so.
    Thanks. Should I train with the weight I can lift 9 ~ 11 or 5~7 reps in this fat cut stage?
    Btw man your blog is awesome. I started to reeducate myself there. According your TDEE calculator my TDEE is about 2300, so maybe Ill try 2300*0.8=1800 kcal a day, instead of 2000.

Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by tremour88 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure that's accurate.

Speaking from personal experience, a combination of cutting down calories + upping protein with a good workout schedule has shown a significant decrease in my fat and noticeable muscle gain and definition.

I started with P90X, and made sure I consumed a lot of protein while cutting down my calories (macros were 50 protein/30 carbs/20 fat). And in a little over a month and a half, I've certainly lost fat and gained muscle.