zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Getting nervous before max lifts

I just wanted to seek some advice on calming the butterflies. I'm at a level where every squat session is a PR and I get nervous because when I got to this level 2-3 times before I had to back off due to injuries (knees/achillies). I'm not worried about being injured but it's just butterflies I guess maybe even a little bit of intimidation. I'm still ways off from the 500lb squat that I really want to get to, but still feel like I'm making great progress considering everything.

How do you calm your nerves?

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    I just wanted to seek some advice on calming the butterflies. I'm at a level where every squat session is a PR and I get nervous because when I got to this level 2-3 times before I had to back off due to injuries (knees/achillies). I'm not worried about being injured but it's just butterflies I guess maybe even a little bit of intimidation. I'm still ways off from the 500lb squat that I really want to get to, but still feel like I'm making great progress considering everything.

How do you calm your nerves?
    I get the same thing. I train by myself, so I set up my power rack to catch me if I get in trouble (on Squat and bench). But, I don't think it's the same as having a team there, with a back spotter and a spot on each side. I think that would help the nerves a lot.

It's funny you mentioned 500 lb's bc I waited probably a month after I was capable of a 500 squat to actually perform it bc I was scared to do it. That's the major drawback to training by myself. It forces me to be conservative and I wait till I'm 100% sure I can do something before I do it.

If you figure out a way to get rid of the nerves, let me know lol.

McDonald's dollar menu Jeramey8's Avatar
    Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeramey8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To be honest, I don't get all that nervous. I just think there's no need to be because I feel comfortable enough to get it. I usually listen to my body and how it feels that day. That'll calm me down.

johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In my very competition not only was it my first meet (a full meet) , but I was the first lifter to start the meet. My legs felt like jello. Been a peice of cake ever since.
    148# class Masters 50-54
    100% RAW Fed.
    Squat 290
    Bench 205
    Deadlift 370

xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I get extremely nervous before hitting a squat pr which is almost every session. On the ride to the gym I get really pumped up but as soon I as enter the door feels like I'm in line for the first time on a roller coaster.

But yeah, if someone has a way please share.
    trying to get strong again

training log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178444371&p=1605861201#post1605861201

For uneventful videos of me lifting
    https://www.instagram.com/jawn.mcintyre/

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just gotta relax. It's only the gym.

Remember that you are only going up a little bit from what you did last time.

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One time while working up to a new PR on the deadlift, I threw some darts before hitting the weight. It helped get my heart rate down and ease those butterflies. I think your butterflies are more from being afraid you're gonna miss the weight than anything else. Sometimes you just gotta find a way to block those thoughts out. Visualize performing the lift to perfection as you're working up to that new PR. Find something that can calm you and get your heart rate down while you're waiting/resting for your heavy set. Darts worked well for me.

BombDonald had a good point too. BlackSpit said something that I can relate to. I workout at home too and can also put the safety pins up to catch any weight I have to dump because of a miss. I almost never squat alone when I'm trying to hit a PR. It's really best to try and find someone you can train with every now and again when you need to hit those big weights.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    agree with the above.. i'm nowhere near a 500lb squat but with any PR attempt...

stop tucking it and let it swing!

confidence is key. clearly you aren't going to go for something that is so far away from your previous max that it would be dangerous. it's all mental at that point. get the pins set up, grab a good spotter or two and bury it.

trust me no one is going to laugh at the guy with 5 45's on each side even if he fails..
    {{**DIRTY SOUTH CREW**}}

Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141019611&p=806856321#post806856321

Drive/Uncut Review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158011943

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nervousness can be a good thing

NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zmcdole View Post
    One time while working up to a new PR on the deadlift, I threw some darts before hitting the weight. It helped get my heart rate down and ease those butterflies. I think your butterflies are more from being afraid you're gonna miss the weight than anything else. Sometimes you just gotta find a way to block those thoughts out. Visualize performing the lift to perfection as you're working up to that new PR. Find something that can calm you and get your heart rate down while you're waiting/resting for your heavy set. Darts worked well for me.

I wish I lifted in a bar like you do

Better Body Sports
    thad@betterbodysports.com

Check out BBS on ******** for daily giveaways!

http://www.********.com/pages/Better-Body-Sports/148301508542835

**My training log with Team Ogre **
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158235303&page=53

john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000)
    I train alone and still get a little nervous.
    But on that note i use it to psych myself up.
    I'm not indecisive. Am I indecisive? - Anonymous

1st PL Comp. in 18 years.
    March 24, 2012
    Squat=410
    Bench=325
    Dead=500
    Total=1235

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #13 -!!!---!!!-

BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BYD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by john-t-b View Post
    I train alone and still get a little nervous.
    But on that note i use it to psych myself up.
    im with this guy, i get all nervous then turn it around. i do take a few deep breathes usually to slow my heart down a bit.

Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used to squat barefoot out on my backyard stone patio... I had to unrack the bar from a bench set-up, meaning no safety pins. Essentially an oly lifter rack. I squatted my first 295 in wraps this way. If I failed, I had to either drop the bar and risk cracking the patio or attempt to roll the bar down my back slowly and drop it from a foot or so up/roll back. (luckily I have great shoulder mobility, lol... was still a stupid, terrible idea) The latter left some scars on my mid back that have just recently become mostly faded.

What I'm getting at is you just need to man up about it and go at the weight. If you fail, big deal. Set it on the pins or let go. You won't know if you can hit it or not till you get it started. The fear will leave you.
    Best gym lifts: S 430 / B 385 / D 480 both C&S

neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) neilmorgan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BYD View Post
    im with this guy, i get all nervous then turn it around. i do take a few deep breathes usually to slow my heart down a bit.
    Is it normal to try to drop heart rate before a lift? I try to get psyched up and raise my heart rate so that it is beating faster when I start the lift. Otherwise, I'm worried I'll start the lift and pass out because my heart hasn't bothered to pick up the pace yet.
    No longer powerlifting. Lifting history:

Competition PR - 210kg/167.5kg/235kg (612.5kg total)
    All-time gym PR - 222.5kg/182.5kg/250kg
    Recent gym 1RM - 210kg/175kg/250kg
    (All lifts are raw - wrist/knee wraps and belt)

cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cameronwillisa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I block out the nerves by psyching myself up, I find that music is the best for me
    Powerlifting accomplishments

In competition:Squat 413 single ply ,bench 303 raw ,deadlift 418 raw

All lifts raw

youtube/CamWillisA

***Misc Strength Crew***

StrengthCampSociety ICEMANLIDDELL's Avatar
    ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Most nervous with Squat and Deads, but when I bench I don't really get nervous ayy. Still best thing to do is have a spotter, they keep your mind at ease.

nadz123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nadz123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nadz123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nadz123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nadz123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im guessing you get nervous because you think of "what if I cant lift the weight".

Remember one thing:

You are lifting that weight because you can lift that weight. If you knocked off 10kg or 20kg of that weight you could easily lift that weight.

What I tend to do is take 1 rep at a time then quickly judge in your head "can I push one more?" if you think you cant then dont.

What a lot of people tend to do is to mis-intrepret the heavy weight game by thinking they will do 8-10+ reps. Heavy weights dont work like that in my opinion. You should be going for 1-4 and max 6.

xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xDerekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I probably do the opposite of calming down. I just pick a song that pumps me up, crank it, and piss myself off and look at the bar like I'm about to get in a fight with it.

IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I Only get nervous on bench prs... squat and dead not so much, but bench i always get nervous.

HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10) HBfan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Getting very psyched up before a big lift can help. Loud music and nose tork are good for that.
    622/297/518 competition lifts

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You know that nagging feeling you get that causes you to question whether you can make a lift? You know that doubt you carry with you? That's failure. You simply must find a way to abandon it and to groom your confidence. Whether it's the fear of injury or just the fear of embarrassment, once you let it in your head you might as well go home.

zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50) zulander will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their posts, a lot of the advice has helped! This week I've set PR's in Squat, Bench, and Military Press. It's an awesome feeling. After every PR I just yelled "wooo" loudly and banged my hands together, people must have thought I was crazy but I don't care, it's a friggin awesome feeling.

fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their posts, a lot of the advice has helped! This week I've set PR's in Squat, Bench, and Military Press. It's an awesome feeling. After every PR I just yelled "wooo" loudly and banged my hands together, people must have thought I was crazy but I don't care, it's a friggin awesome feeling.
    Good job!

Butterflies are a sign that your adrenalin is kicking in, so they are a sign that your body is ready to perform. I love 'em.
    You like art? www.artstarter.nl

You make art? www.artstarter.nl

You suck off hobos? www.artstarter.nl

HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkSlogan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool ....

Butterflies are a great thing I believe I get them then I spray them with raid lol
    Everybody wants to be a body builder.....but don't nobody want to lift these HEAVY ASS WEIGHTS-Ronnie Coleman