Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)

Lesson I Will Learn Lying On My Back

Lay down, I want to talk to you…

I’m not sure why I’m doing this. It’s taken me more than 24 hours to actually push the "Submit New Thread" button and create this journal but here it is in all its unbestowed glory.

I have for some unfathomable reason entered myself into a bench press competition

The comp will take place at the end of April and it is in support of F.A.C.T. Foundation for Diabetes. http://www.pr.com/press-release/392836 It’s being sponsored in part by the gym I work out in. Good thing because I need the owner of the gym to train me for this!

So anyways this little mini journal is going to be the life and times of a NOOOOOOOB who will be training for something besides the pure joy of it for the 1st time EVER. I plan being fully prepared for this through training, diet and supplements. There’s no big prize involved, just a ribbon saying you were there but for me it’s pretty exciting stuff and a matter of personal development and accomplishment. I like to push myself and I thought this was a good way to do it.

The training is going to be based on a modified Russian Squat cycle. My 1RM was determined last night to be 100 lbs. The full workout cycle isn’t complete yet but I’ll know more Wednesday when I’m back in the gym. My schedule is Mon-Wed-Thu-Sat in the gym. Tuesdays are usually an active recovery day at home working with resistance bands, an 8lb medicine ball and a lot of BW work. Saturdays I work with my trainer for 1 hour and it’s whatever he’s training his football players with that week. Every other Saturday I run a Hurricane (tread and shred) workout. And Sundays I usually try to get in a 1 mile run if I haven't run the Hurricane the day before. I’ll post training video whenever possible.

I am dialing in my diet and sticking to a schedule as strictly as possible (I have eating issues, let me just put that out there now so there’s no false pretenses). I’ve come up with a 2000-2100 cal per day diet w/145 g protein, 72.5 g fat & 192 g carbs. I ended yesterday at 1896 cals, 150 g protein, 55 g fat and 196 g carbs so I guess I’ll have to tweak a bit more to get the cals and macros balanced correctly. This above all else will be the hardest thing for me to maintain. Working hard, leaving it all on the gym floor, motivation…none of that is ever a problem with me. Just the damn food sometimes.

Supps are pretty basic, Whey: 30g 1st am, post workout and as a fill in for my macros, Jack 3D pre workout until I run out of this container, then I’ll need to find something to use while I off-cycle. BCAA mixed with water @ lunch and intra workout. Beta Alanine 1600 mg daily (aside from what’s in the Jack), creatine 10g daily. Then I take my usual daily health supps: multi vit, ubiquinol (100mg), krill oil (625 mg), and calcium (1000mg) w/D3 (600 iu).

So aside from the 1RM benching I just had my regular workout last night which was:
    Wall squats 2x10
    Back Squats 3x12x45, 2x10x65, 3x8x85, 4x6x95 (I’m working on deep/paused form right now)
    GHR/Back Extension SS 4x15 (w/25lbs on back extensions)
    DB Clean & Press 4x6x20
    Split lunge jumps 4x6 EL

So anyway, if you stop bye…Hi! and thanks for checking in. I would love to hear any and all feedback from anyone so inclined to join me for a while in my little adventure.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First!

Best journal title in a long time!
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jtroster View Post
    First!

Best journal title in a long time!
    Thanks. I have a warped kind of way at looking at things!
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

worked out at home tonight:
    Push up complex (5 each - 1 set)
    1. standard
    2. 3-position medicine ball
    3. side to side
    4. diamond
    5. incline
    6. incline clapping
    7. decline
    8. T's
    9. spiderwoman
    10. staggered

I've been trying for a long time to get this up to 2 sets but by the last 5 my form is really starting to get shot. Still and all, when I started I was only doing 3 of each mostly from my knees so doing 5 from the prone position is a decent showing for now.

Tri-Sets 4x25 (15 lb resistance band)
    a. reverse flys
    b. tri pull downs
    c. seated lat pull downs

Dietary: 1973 cals, 63 g fat, 163 g carbs, 160 g protein. Still need to get this right.
    Supps: dailys + 30 g whey, 10g creatine, 1600 mg beta alanine.

That's it for tonight, my arms are pretty fatigued.

Last Night's work (not including warm up sets):

* Bench Press 6x2x80, I felt like I could do a lot more reps and a bit more weight but I'm going to follow the schedule set up for me. It really will kick in on Monday for a 6 week cycle which is when I'll get some new assistance work as well. This week was ending the last of a 5/3/1 anyway so the timing is perfect.
    * Dips 4x10, I just started doing these from a station as opposed to weighted bench dips. My elbows aren't at 90 degrees yet but it's improving.
    * 1A DB Shoulder Press 4x6: 3x25, 1x30...that's a PR!
    * FW High Pulls 4x6x75
    * R-band pull aparts (15 lbs) 4x25, threw Great White's "Mista Bone" onto the ipod and kept pulling from the 1st note until the last lick! I got in my 100 pulls but technically it was 1 giant set. I just kept working with minimal rest (enough to shake out the arms once in a while) until I hit my #. Talk about a burn at the end, I was very happy to be done with that bad boy!

Dietary: 1905 cals, 52 g fat, 142 g carbs, 204 g protein. I'm starting to confuse myself a little here. If I calc 1g per lb protein I get 145 g, if I calc 1/5 g protein per lb of lbm I get 166.5 g protein. Either way I was way over yesterday but I don't know by how much or if it matters all that much. I was satiated. I feel like I got enough fat and carbs even though the numbers don't bear that out and I had a really good night in the gym. So now I don't know if I'm helping or hurting myself performance wise.

The 1 thing I did change yesterday was my pre w/o meal. The timing of that is a little weird becuase I go to the gym right after work. My break at work is 4pm and I workout around 6pm depending on traffic. Yesterday I added 30 g of whey to my meal (1/2 turkey sandwhich) and I felt like I got better performance. I'm not one of those who can work out on an empty stomach or I start to feel puky. I'm wondering though if I should switch they whey to casein since it's absorbed slower and would (maybe/possibly) give me better performance since more of it would still be in my system when I get to the gym. Does that even make sense?

Suups: Beta alanine 1600 mg, creatine 10g, jack 3D-upped to 3 scoops last night, possibly another reason I feel like I had such a good night last night? but I had a little trouble staying asleep after I went to bed so I'll need to monitor that.
    Last edited by kjake55; 03-15-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Last night's work (not including warm up sets):

*Deadlifts: 1x5x95, 1x3x115, 1x1x135.

I took all the advise I could remember from the O35 crowd's DL critiques and put it to good use last night. I couldn't do anything about the shoes but I found a way around the chalk. There is more than 1 hole in the walls downstairs so I just stuck my bare hands in there (no gloves anymore) pulled out some plaster and used that! There's more than one way to skin a cat. I'll probably gert asbestos poisoning but what the heck I'm gonna DL like a pro before I go!!!!! Kept my head up-chin forward-used my back/butt/legs and arms in 1 fluid motion as much as possible, dragged the bar against my shins (ouch!), didn't jerk the weight up, etc. Like I said I did everything I could remember and I must of done it right becuase even though I pulled 40 lbs off the bar I'm smartin today. Funny, using less weight with good form hurts almost as much as using heavy weight with bad form! I'm going to keep at it and post another video in a couple weeks to see if anyone thinks I've improved any.

*Hack lifts 4x6 85-95-115-135
    *Asst'd Pullups 30 AFSAP 20-10
    *SL DB RDL 4x6 25-30-30-35
    Roman Chair 5x10 w/25# plate

Dietary: Cals 2002, Fat 68g, carbs 146g, Protein 196 g
    Supps: Dailies, creatine 10g, Beta Alanine 1600 mg, Jack 3D 3scoops

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've learned a lot of things lying on my back Like not all popcorn ceiling texture has sparkles in it!

Eating issues. Have them.

Don't eat your sheetrock! Using it as a drying agent for your hands is OK. The latency period for asbestosis is up to 20 years

Looks like you have a good plan. Assistance work is as important as the main lift. Find your weakness and make it stronger!

Thanks for the encouragement!

20 years isn't bad, I should be able to perect my form by then!

I'm looking forward to getting my full workout plan on Monday. Finding my wealness won't be much of an issue...pick a limb or muscle group. "Make it stronger" will be my motivation and motto. Thanks for that!

Recapping the weekend.

Saturday
    • Dumbbell Snatch 2x5x25, 3x3x35
    • Floor Press( 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – 1)
    85 – 90 – 95 – 105 – 115
    • Superset 4x6
    a. Ring Tri-Dips
    b. Inverted Rows (from the rope)
    • Lunge Complex i – ii – iii
    i. Walking lunges (100 yards) 3’s w/20lbs: bicep curl – shoulder press – clean & press
    ii. Split squat jumps w/20lbs x8
    iii. Lateral jumps w/high pulls 20lbs x8
    • Dumbbell Bench sets w/Resistance bands (20 lb DB/75 lb Band)
    a. Bench presses 2x10
    b. Chest fly 2x20
    • Roman Chair 5x10x25 lb plate (mixed in between my work sets)

Sunday
    Ran 1 mile + heartbreak hill

We decided on Saturday to change up the training schedule a little bit. Instead of bench training M-W-TH we’re going to go M-W-S. I’ll forego the Hurricane training for the next 6 weeks but promised I would put in a least 1 mile every Sunday. I could tell last week my trainer wasn’t happy about the Wed-Thu training not giving me enough rest time esp when we get into the heavier set weeks later on. So the new schedule looks like this:

Mon/ Wed/ Sat - Bench
    Tue (at home) Active recovery/rolling/stretching and auxiliary leg/squat work.
    Thu - Heavy Squat
    Fri – Rest
    Sun - Run

Dietary: didn’t track this weekend but stayed w/i 2000-2100 cals. Kind of an odd thing happening. I woke up a couple of times during the weekend at night and I was STARVING! I’ve only had that happen when I was cutting and then you just embrace the suck and count sheep until it passes but now I’m eating over maintenance so WTF?????? I didn’t get up and eat anything as I don’t want to get into any late night zombie eating habits but it was really strange that I would be hungry since I’m adding cals (gleefully adding cals btw! ) My body just has a more, more, more attitude these days I guess.

Supps: the usual. On Sunday I added coconut water and 1 scoop of Prolong for the run. I’m dropping back down to 2 scoops of the Jack 3D tonight. Last week I was having trouble staying asleep all night (not food related, that just started this weekend). I’m not sure if it’s the 3rd scoop of stimulant in the Jack or not so I’ll drop it back down to 2 scoops and see what happens this week.

So tonight is the **Official** start of the training

I’m looking forward to killin’ it tonight in the gym!

Last night's work (not including warm up sets)

* Bench 60x2, 70x2, 80x2/6. I still felt like I could have gone heavier but I'll wait and see what happens as the training progresses.
    * DB Incline Bench 5x5 20-25-(3)30. I didn't want to stay at 30 for the last 3 sets but I couldn't find the 35's and I couldn't get the 40's in the air.
    * Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns 3x10 5-6-6.5 plates (I have to lookup how much those Cybex plates weigh, 10lbs each maybe?)
    * Tate Press 5x5x25
    * KB Swings 2x50 w/25lb KB (not part of the workout but I like doing them and wanted to get my heart rate up some)
    * Roman Chair 5x10 w/25lbs mixed in between work sets

It was really chaotic in there last night so except for a couple of times spotting me on the Tate presses I didn't get much of a chance to talk to my trainer. But it was funny how other people suddenly want to give me advise on how to bench press now that I'm going into a competition! Had 1 guy (whose a really good guy btw) show me how to elevate my chest and arch my back so I could bounce the bar off my chest for a better lift. I thanked him for the info and demonstration but I can't use what he showed me. From what I understand I have to actually wait for the Press command while the bar is resting on my chest and then I have to wait for the Rack command at the end of the lift so bouncing the bar off my chest doesn't seem feasible in that context but I thought it was nice that he wanted to help.

Dietray: Cals 2143 (dammed Thai Shrinp w/peanuts put me over but I haven't made that in a really long time and it was pretty yummy so I'll concede the extra 43 cals this one time!) Fat 47g, Carbs 195g, Protein 216g (am I eating too much protein?)

Supps: dailys + 10g creatine, 1600 mg beta alanine & 2 scoops Jack 3D pre workout (I slept better last night so I think I'll stick to 2 scoops of this)

Working out at home tonight after a trip to the Chiro. I am in desperate need of an adjustment.

Last night’s work: NONE.

I went to the Chiropractor to get my hip adjusted because it’s been on fire lately. He worked it out as much as possible but it was still really tender. Last night's work should have included squat assistance work and abs at home but he recommended I take the night off which I did. So instead I rolled, stretched, rolled some more, took Advil and lurked the Forums. Now that I think about it the hip pain may be the reason for some of my posts last night. (I was a tad cranky) Shhhhhh, don’t tell anyone!

It’s still sore as heck today but 1 day off is enough. I’ll hit it hard and heavy in the gym again tonight.

For what it’s worth I’m splay footed on the right side. I wasn’t born that way. It developed over the years starting in my 20’s when I slid into home plate on an un-raked field and broke my tibia in 2 places. I had already inherited bad ankles from my father, I was roughly 215 lbs at the time and (dammit!) it happened the night before the season opener. I was a p!ssed off little puppy at the time believe me! Anyway couple those things with the fact that I was a 20-somtin know-it-all and never did the physical therapy or anything I now have a condition on the right side.

It will be a real cause for concern as I get older because it creates balancing problems. 1Leg RDL’s & SLDL’s are comical to watch me do, that is of course if your humor runs to the sadistic side. A bosu ball workout for me would be like a sobriety test for a drunk. Anyway all of this causes pain in the hip and ankle due to the imbalances and last night was just a bad night for it.

Eventually it will clear up, then it will come back and then it will clear up again and on and on. The biggest problem is that when it bugs me it lasts for a month or more. I’m holding out hope that I’m at the tail end of this return since it’s been screwing with me for more than a month now. I’m also secretly hoping that my squats will improve some when the hip is in better shape.

Oh well, enough tales of woe…today is a new day and it will be what I make of it!

Dietary: cals 1741, fat 53g, carbs 126 g, protein 173g, even my diet was off yesterday because of the hip. I just couldn’t get in 2000 cals. I wasn’t hungry and didn’t see any reason to force another 300 cals just for the sake of eating them. Probably not the greatest bulk strategy in the world but it's only 1 night of many to come.

Supps: dailys, 5 g creatine, 1600 mg beta alanine.

Tonight’s work (not including warm up sets)

* Bench Press 60x2, 70x2, 80x3/6 (with video below from sets 1/3/6)
    * Floor Press 5/3/1 85 – 100 – 105
    * Bench Dips 3x10 BW - +45 - +90
    * Band Pull Aparts 4x10 w/15 lb band
    * DB 1A Press 5x5 (2) 25 – (2) 30 – (1) 25
    I could not believe what happened tonight with this. I was on my first set of 30’s and admittedly struggling with the last 2 reps on my left but I was living my new mantra to “make it stronger” and pressing the weight into the air as forcefully as possible when this kid decides to pick up a 15 lb weight and starts pressing it like 6 inches away from me! WTF ?????? A little personal space please. So I finish the set and walk away, so does junior. I go back to my weights pick up the 30 and start working when he does the EXACT same thing again but this time with a 20 lb weight. I was p!ssed beyond belief. I finished the set but completely failed on the left so it worked out to be 2 -1 -1 -1. Now I’m standing about 20 feet away trying to keep my cool when this little idiot looks in the mirror, flexes a couple of times and does a god danged Rocky at the top of the library steps dance!!! I swear I thought my camera was still on and Alan Funt was going to jump out any minute and surprise me. When I finally walked back over the kid has a 40lb weight in his hand. He couldn’t get it in the air but acted like he was the king of 1 arm presses. I gave him the black look of death growled out loud “make it fecking stronger” and finished with the 25. I couldn’t have pressed that 30 anymore than I could have pressed 100 at that point. Oh well. Stuff like that rarely happens there so I’ll just keep an eye out for Hercules next time and make sure I’m not working anywhere near him.
    Dietary: cals 2084, fat 61 g, carbs 44 g, protein 191 g
    Supps: dailys, 1600 mg beta alanine, 10 g creatine, 2 scoop Jack 3D pre w/o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2yCp...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=era5q9-o7eQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8d6i...yer_detailpage

Last night's work (not including warm ups)

* Squats 5x5 95-105-105-105-105, still working on paralll and below parallel w/controlled returns. Needs a ton more work. Video of set 5 below.
    * Zercher Squats 5x5 55-65-75-80-85
    * BSB Step Ups 3x10 each leg
    * GHR 3x10
    * Leg Press 1x5x140, 1x5x190, 1x5x230, 2x5x280, 3x5x320

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lsW9...yer_detailpage

Dietary: no tracking yesterday, entertained clients from S. Carolina at work so my whole schedule was off
    Supps: dailys, 1600 mg beta alanine, 10g creatine, 2 scoops Jack 3D pre workout

TGIF !!!!!!!!!

This mornings workout:

* Bench Press 60x2 - 70x2 - 80x2/6
    * MacDonald bench 3x5 45 - 55 - 65
    * (Smith) BNP 3x5 25 - 30 - 35
    * Close grip bench 3x5 55 - 65 - 75
    * DB Bench w/band (20 lb DBs - 25 lb band) 3x5 SS w/band chest flys 3x10
    * Tricep pull downs 3x5x60
    * Roman chair 5x10 w/25 lbs mixed between work sets

Bench Cycle Week II

Last night's workout (not including warm up sets)

* Bench 60x2 70x2 80x4/6 - last set of 4 felt heavy but it didn't break the bank
    * DB Incline 5x5 (1) 25 (4) 30 - improvement over last week in # of sets at 30lbs
    * Wide Grip Lat Pull Down 5x5 6 - 6.5 - (3) 7 - also heavier across the board from last week
    * Tate Press 5x5x25 w/1 bonus set @ 30 (new weight)
    * Plyo Push-Up Combo 2x5
    Knee Explosion
    Ins & Outs
    Claps (from the bench)
    Slaps (from the bench)
    Hands & Feet
    Dietary: I went waaay over my cals and macros yesterday. cals 2315 (+215), F 88g (+15.5), carbs 192 g (only thing that was even) & protein 186g (+41)
    Supps: dailys + 16500 mg beta alanine, 2 scoops Jack 3d Pre W/o

Bought a new pair of lifting shoes from addidas yesterday. Hope they get here before Thursday night squat night..can't wait to see if they make a difference. (No) I'm not expecting to suddenly squat 600 #'s and be in the olympics with perfect form but it can't hurt to have the right equipment to do the job with!

Last night's work (from home)

Went to the chiro 1st, he worked on my hip and did some deep tissue work on my IT band. Hurt like hell when he was doing it but boy it helped out a lot when he was done!

* Wall squats 5x10
    * Planks 10 @ 60 sec each run @ 2 planks between each wall sq set
    * Ab Academy 101 16's done w/military counts
    Flutters/sissors
    45/90 degree
    crunches
    elbows-to-knees
    Dietary: found out I'm an absolute moron when it comes to this and that I have no clue about basic math either! The whole thing is starting to make my head hurt. Cals 2228, fat 60g, carbs 218g, protein 188g

Supps: Dailys, 5 g creatine, 1600 mg beta alanine

* Bench Press 60x2 - 70x2 - 80x2/6 (sets 2, 4 & 6 on video)
    * Floor Press 5/3/1 95 - 105 - 105 (95x5 on video) the 105x3 was really shaky but I think it was bc I didn't give myself enough rest between sets. I pressed single 105 with sopme authority and was a way better lift.
    * Bench Dips 3x10 45 - 95 - 135
    * DB 1A Press 5x5 (1) 25 & (4) @ 30! That's huge increase in volume on 30 lbs for me!
    * Band Pulls 4x10 w/25 lb band
    * Get Ups w/20 lb curl bar 5x10 done in between work sets

Dietary: cals 2246, 59g fat, 201 g carbs, 233 g protein
    Supps: Dailys, 1600 mg beta alanine, creatine 10g, 2 scoops Jack 3D pre w/o

Last edited by kjake55; 03-29-2012 at 05:34 AM.

* Squats 5x5 95 - 95 - 95 - 105 - 105, failed on 4th rep of the 1st 105 set. I lost my concentration and just lost the return completely. It took me several minutes to recover from it mentally but I finished the last set strong enough. Worked with the new shoes. It's different sqautting in them but I was kind of digging it. Talked to my trainer briefly last night. He'll take a better look on Saturday and help me work out some of the kinks.
    * BSB Step Ups 3x10 E/L
    * GHR 3x10
    * Zercher Squats 5x5 65 - 75 - 85 - 95 -100
    * Leg Press 5x5 250 - 300 - 320 - 340 & 390 PRing on the leg press with that set! Need to remember to push with my heels when it starts getting heavier. I have a habit of trying to use the balls of my feet.

Dietary: cals 1972 (no wonder I woke up so damn hungry this morning!), 62g fat, 176g carbs, 193g protein
    Suups: Dailys, 1600 mg beta alanine, 10 g creatine, 2 scoops Jack 3D pre w/o

Other big news, apparently this little competition is a little bigger deal than I thought. Going to get to meet and hang out with some UFC fight champions that will be there! I don't know who but when I find out I'll have to read up on them before hand. I'm not a big enough fan to know whose who but in general I think UFC fighting is really cool. It should be fun.

Today is a rest day and after last night I reallly feel like I earned this one (my glutes are killin' me today!)

TGIF!!!!!

This morning's work out:

* Bench 60x2 (paused) 70x2 (paused) 80x5/6 (5 touch-n-go sets 1 paused set)
    * Mac bench 5/3/1 95 - 115 - 120
    * BNP (free weight this week) 4x5 45 - 55 - 60 - 65
    * Close Grip bench w/curl bar 3x5 70 - 70 - 90
    * R.Band Bench press/Flys w/25 lb band/20 lb DB 3x6 press/3x20 fllys
    * Tricep Pull downs 3x5x60
    * Get up w/20lb curl bar 5x10 in between work sets

Not bad work after 3 peachtinis and a shot of tequila last night! What the hell was I thinking?!?
    Last edited by kjake55; 04-01-2012 at 04:44 AM.

This morning at the HS track:

*1/2 mi run
    * 3 sprint sets (1 min between sets): 50yd dash-round trip up&down the bleacher steps-50 yd dash
    * Heartbreak hill

Today is Palm Sunday so I'm carbin' up at mom's today!
    Macaroni, gravy w/meat, fried dough and pastries...I'll hate myself tomorrow but I'm sure I canlive with it today after a glass or 2 of vino!

A Happy Peacfull Sunday to All

Bench Cycle - Week III

Last night's workout (not including warm up sets)

* Bench press 60x2 70x2 80x2/6
    * DB Incline Bench 5x5x30 tried to push 1 set at 35# but it wasn't happening, maybe next week! I was really happy to finally get all 5 sets at 30.
    * Wide Grip Lat Pull-Down 5x5 (3) 7 (2) 7.5
    * Tate Press 5x5 (3) 25 (2) 30
    * Plyo Push Up Combo 2x5: Knee Explosions, In&out, Claps, Slaps, Hands&Feet

Dietary: 2450 cals, 83g fat, 171g carbs, 235g protein. I'm all over the place with this, just can't seem to get the diet end of things dialed in correctly.
    Supps: Dailys, beta alanine 1600 mg, creatine 5 mg, Jack 3D 2 scoops pre w/o

Last night's workout: None

Dietary: cals 2346, 104g fat, 149g carbs, 214g protein
    Supps: dailys, 1600 mg beta alanine, 5g creatine

Last nights workout (not including warm up sets)

* Bench 60x2, 70x2, 80x2/6 (sets 1-5 T&G, set 6 paused)
    * Floor Press 5/3/1 95 - 105 - 115 was way better at the 105's this week, the 115 wasn't my idea but I'm glad I did it! Tony had is fingers on the bar the whole time but the lift was all me.
    * DB 1A Press 5x5x30 - all 5 sets @ 30#'s this week!
    * Bench Dips 3x10 90 - 135 - 170
    * Band pull aparts 4x10 w/25 lb resistance band

Dietary: cals 2404, 76g fat, 231g carbs, 217g protein
    Supps: Daliys, 1600 mg beta alanine, 5g creatine, 2 scoops Jack 3D pre w/o. This was the end of the Jack. I'm trying a sample of 1RM tonight but I still don't know what to switch off to starting next week.

I need to start thinking long term for after this contest. I'm going to go on a 10 week cut and have to start thinking about what workouts I'll use. Cutting is going to be a real B after this. I REALLY like eating more cals!

At first I was thinking GVT bc the posts I've been reading about it make it sound like it's a great workout but then I found out it would be a disaster to try it while cutting so I'm thinking to start putting together a basic push/pull/leg split with the goal of just keeping the muscle I have and losing the fat. I can always start building muscle again after the cut but I need to begin getting my plan in place now. May will be here before I know it.

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good exercise selection and execution! Eat, eat, eat.

Thursday 4/5/12 (not including warm up sets)

* Goblet Squats 3x10x20 (ok this was a warm up that someone here mentioned would be a good way to start my squats)
    * Wall Squats 3x10
    * Squats 5x5 95 - 105 - 105 - 115 - 115
    * SS: BSB Step Ups/GHR 3x10
    * FW Zercher 5x5 55 – 60 – 65 – 75 - 80 (I was having mega problems with my hip and couldn’t get past the warm up sets)
    * Leg Press (skipped) my hip was getting to a point of no return and was no longer a “work through it” kind of pain
    * 3 sets of 10 Ab work on RC in bwteen work sets (just wasn't feelin the love)

After what I pathetically label as Thursday night’s workout I rolled and stretched and realized that as much as I was physically hurting I was also mentally disabled at this point. I needed to take some time to deload, de-stress and unplug or I wasn’t going to be able to continue making gains. It was time for a break. The end of week III's bench cycle work was scheduled for Friday morning and I was going away with my husband immediately after the gym for the holiday weekend. That would be my “me time” to reinvigorate.

Friday 4/6/12 (not including warm up sets)

* Bench Press 60x2 70x2 80x2/6 (5 T&G sets, 1 paused set)
    * Mac Bench 5/3/1 100 – 110 – 115
    * BNP’s 4x5 45 – 50 – 55 – 65
    * Close Grip Bench (w/curl bar) 4x5 70 – 70 – 90 – 90
    * SS: R.Band Bench Press (25 lb band) w/20 lb DB’s 4x6 – R.Band Chest Flys 4x12
    * Tricep Pull Downs 3x8x60
    * Roman Chair 5x10 Back Bends/Back extensions 5x10 in between work sets

After my workout I left for a long weekend away with my husband. I went away ** WITHOUT ** my resistance bands, running shoes, jump rope and sports bras. I also did ** NOT ** have my I-Pod, I-Pad, laptop or Kindle. The only media I carried with me was my cell phone. I promised myself I would deload and unplug while I was away and I didn’t bring anything with me that might cause me to break my promise to myself.

I spent the weekend soaking in a Jacuzzi, swimming in a pool, baking in a sauna and vegetating in front of a fireplace. All of which was made very convenient since all the amenities were located inside my suite!!!! Ahh, the “Land of Love” is the place to be when you need to get back to who you are.

I ate like tomorrow wasn’t going to come and probably had far too many cocktails but that’s ok to. I’ll get back to being “clean” today. I don’t have a choice. I weighed in at 158.7 this morning Most of it is water retention from an over abundance of sodium and dairy consumption, nothing a few hundred glasses of water won’t cure. Lol!

The only nods I made to my training at all over the weekend were the new stretches I learned for my hip flexor and traps that I incorporated into my day when my muscles were nice an lose after a soak and the new Chuck Taylors I bought at the Converse store in the outlet shopping center (Got a good price ~ $64 ~ for a black leather pair + a BOGO sale ~ cha ching!)

So here I am. Today is Monday and I'm feeling somewhat less beat up physically, completely restored mentally and ready to hit the gym hard and heavy tonight when I get there!

I have 3 weeks until my competition and for the next 3 weeks I plan on training to win! Look out everybody...get outta the way...woman on a mission here !!!!!!

Bench Cycle - Week IV (I can't believe I'm 4 weeks into this already!)

* Bench 60x2 70x2 85x5/5
    * DB Incline Press 5x5 (1) 30 (4) 31 - I tried for the 35's but I couldn't get them up so I added 1lb wrist weights and did 4 sets @ 31 lbs. Sometimes it comes down to baby sets I guess
    * Wide Grip Lats 5x5 (3) 7 (2) 7.5
    * Tate Press 5x5x25 - 30 lbs were in use and there is no way I was going to be able to use 35's on this
    * Ring Push Ups 3x12 - haven't done these in a while but I got in 3 really good sets - there was a noticeable difference between last time and now - my upper body strength has improved so I wasn't as wobbly holding onto the rings and I was able to keep tension throughout my body the entire time.

Dietary: cals 2479, 83g fat, 252g carbs, 201g protein - weight is stabalizing from vacation back to 155.5 this morning, oh if it was only that easy to lose weight all the time
    Supps: Dailys, 5g creatine, 1600 mg beta alanine, 1 scoop 1MR pre w/o (which is crap btw, no pump/no focus/no anything. I can't wait to get back to the Jack 3D)

Last night's work (not including wrm up sets):

* Bench 60x2 70x2 80x2/6
    * Floor Press 5/3/1 95 - 105 - 120(!)
    * DB 1A Press 5x5 x 31 (30lb DB's w/1 lb wrist weights)
    * Bench Dips 3x10 90 - 135 -180 I've got to find a better way to do these
    * Band pulls (25lb band) 4x10

Dietary: cals 2546, 100g fat, 201g carbs, 222g protein (wt this am 154.1)
    Suups: Dailys + 1600 mg beta alanine, 5 g creatine & blox pre w/o (also not worth a damn imo)

Last night's work (not including warm up sets):

* Box Squats (and lots of em! ) 1x10x45, 1x10x65, 3x5x85, 3x8x100, 3x5x115 since I didn't have to concentrate as much on depth I was able to pay uber attention to foot position and tracking my knees to the outside. They weren't perfect squats by any means but man they were waaaaay better than any work I've done in a long time! Next week I'm going to try to get video of them for review.
    * SS: BSB Step Ups/GHR's 3x10
    * Leg Press 3x5 250 - 340 - 340
    * Lunge Walks 2x400 yds
    * Roman Chair 5x10 w/25lbs (in between work sets)

Dietary: cals 2455, 118g fat (added 1 tbl flax oil 2x's daily in my whey shakes, it's pumped my fat g's up - need to keep an eye on that), 147g carbs, 209g protein (no weigh in this am - trying to control my scale obsession :frustrated: )
    Suups: Dailys, 5g creatine - I need to get to the vit shop this weekend I'm out of everything!

TGIF Everyone!!!!!!!

This mornings workout:

* Bench 60x2 70x2 90x4/4 (video of90x4 set 4)
    * Mac Bench 5/3/1 55-70-90 (video of 1x90)
    * BNP 5/3/1 55-65-80
    * Close Grip Bench w/curl bar 5/3/1 70-100-110
    * R.Band DB Press/Chest Flys (25lb band - 20lb DB) 4x6 press/4x15 flys
    * Tricep Pulldowns 3x8x60
    * Roman Chair w/25lbs 5x10 between work sets

it was a good day today. I left happy

Bench Cycle - Week V

Last night's workout (not including warm up sets):

* Bench Press 60x2 70x2 80x2/6
    * DB Incline Press 5x5 31 - 31 - 31 -31 35! (Yay!!! Finally a set at 35! )
    * Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 3x8 7.5 - 7.5 - 8
    * Tate Press 5x5 30 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 31 (used wrist weights)
    * Suspension Push Ups 60xAFSAP 20 - 16 - 10 - 14, I have never done suspension push ups until last night. I don't know a whole lot about slow twitch and fast twitch muscles but I do know that every damn muscle in my upper body was twitching when I was done! (LOL!) That, right there, was the whole workout for me. They were very cool to do and I need to make them a regular part of my work from now on.
    * Roman Chair w/25lbs 5x10 (in between work sets)

Dietary: weight (this am) 154.5, cals 2319, 90g fat (need to cut out 1 tbl flax I think - my fat ratio % is above protein and carbs), 179g carbs, 186g protein
    Supps: Dailys, 1600 mg beta alanine, 5g creatine, 2 scoops Jack 3D pre w/o