Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo

eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Paleo

I'm considering starting the paleo diet, but I'm really not sure about it. I'm not really one of those people that can stick to a diet of "you can't have this, this, or this." I like to have balance and be able to "fit" things into my day (ex: fit a 200 calorie ice cream cone into my macros...obviously not happening on the paleo diet.) However, people seem to have great results from it and I'd like to at least do a 60 day paleo challenge or something. I can't find anything on the website except book titles, and all of the books are checked out from my library, so I'm not sure what to do. I've done a search on this forum, but I haven't found anything there either. I really don't know that much about the paleo diet, so I'm not sure where to begin. Can anybody help? Thanks!

Edited: I forgot to mention...I'm kind of scared of this diet because it seems that cheese probably isn't allowed (I love cheese!!!) and it seems to HEAVILY rely on protein...and I STRUGGLE (and when I say struggle, I MEAN struggle) to eat enough protein every day because I just don't like it...I LOOOOOOVE carbs....so this diet seems very scary....but like they say, "If you want things you've never had, you have to do things you've never done." So I feel like I really want to try it, even if I'm going to suffer through it...maybe I'll get used to it, or like the results so much that I won't mind living that way.

womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you read your own post from an objective standpoint, all signs are screaming that this is not a good next step for you.

You also posted about not being satisfied with your training. It sounds like your restless. Definitely shake things up a little bit to break up the monotony but don't do anything drastic.

Also, paleo sucks. Cute idea, incredibly flawed logic.
    Bender, part of being human is having self-control. -Amy Wong

Fat loss per month =
    Obese : 6-8%
    Moderately overweight: 4-6%
    Average: 2-4%
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

^via female sticky on realistic goals

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i don't necessarily have anything against paleo (or not as much as i do w/ other diets. still don't like it, but better than a lot) but you can get good results w/o it, and you seem to a) not know much abt it (which is totally fine, but weird to pick something you don't know abt), and b) want foods and/or macro's that aren't conducive to it. you know how to get results. you know it's abt caloric intake (and a good lifting prgm). so you should know you don't have to deprive yourself and that it's silly to "suffer through it." you can make different changes. other choices.

eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are right that I don't really know anything about it, which is why I'm more curious, especially since I can't seem to find much "official" information on it. I'm very interested to hear why both of you are not totally in favor of paleo, so if you could share that would be great. I'm interested in possibly doing paleo because I'm going to start doing CrossFit and CrossFit and paleo seem to go hand in hand. Lots of before/after stories state that the results REALLY started coming during CrossFit when they stopped eating their regular, healthy diet and started paleo. Now, I understand that that can be a totally skewed comment...maybe their "healthy" diet wasn't really so healthy, and starting paleo just put them on a direct plan, so that's what REALLY helped.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Paleo is just a diet which limits your food choices. It all comes back to caloric value and macro nutrient breakdown. If you are interested in only eating food that grows in ground uncontaminated from the influence of modern day culture and eating animals killed at dawn with a spear then go ahead, but it's no different to any other diet plan, calories and macro nutrients.

As for the before/after stories, they do CrossFit. That's about all that needs to be said on their validity.

womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by eleni611 View Post
    I'm very interested to hear why both of you are not totally in favor of paleo, so if you could share that would be great.
    It's a gimmick restriction diet. Go to the main nutrition forum & search for it. You'll find a million opinions.

Fat loss per month =
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

Queen of F'ing Everything JustaGirl78's Avatar
    JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I did a 4 week paleo challenge starting 13th March 2011 and I've never stopped. I really like eating this way and apart from the very occasional indulgence of double cream, white rice or cheese, I don't find it hard to stick to.

I'll be honest, I tried it first to lose weight and though I did (sans crossfit ) the reason I stick to it is because since taking those foods out of my diet, I realise just how badly they were affecting me.

There have been a couple of instances where I've taken a gluten hit and it's had some vile consequences - the return of my IBS, mega bloating, inflamed and ulcerated mouth and aching joints. On the occasions I've eaten dairy I got allergy symptoms - runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes and it also brought out facial eczema which I've never suffered with in my life.

From reading your opening post, I'd say this diet definitely is not for you but if you do try it, you may be shocked at the difference it makes.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    http://instagram.com/justagirl_1978

Queen of F'ing Everything JustaGirl78's Avatar
    JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JustaGirl78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    http://instagram.com/justagirl_1978

kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I did a Paleo challenge a while back and had good results, although I couldn't stick with it for the same reasons you couldn't - I love cheese and dairy. 1/2 of my daily protein intake comes from dairy.

I admit that gluten-free makes a big difference in bloat and overall feeling, but I like to eat junk sometimes, and I prefer fitting it into my daily calories/macros. I eat ice cream or pudding every day, and I still stick to my daily calories.

Now, if I needed to lose weight, I would do it again, at least for 6-8 weeks. I do think it is a good diet that works.
    Karen

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not really one of those people that can stick to a diet of "you can't have this, this, or this."
    I'm kind of scared of this diet because it seems that cheese probably isn't allowed (I love cheese!!!) and it seems to HEAVILY rely on protein...and I STRUGGLE (and when I say struggle, I MEAN struggle) to eat enough protein every day because I just don't like it...I LOOOOOOVE carbs
    Yeah, paleo isn't for you.

This is second post you've made about not being satisfied with your results, and seem to be looking for something that's a complete 180 (Crossfit, paleo) from what you normally do. I think if you're unsatisfied with your results, you need to look at what isn't working with your current regimen and make small fixes instead of a complete overhaul. You're not a cardio bunny eating 10g of a fat a day. You have the tools, you just need to make them work for you.

Thank you everybody-I appreciate the feedback! I get that I have all the right tools and need to make them work for me, however I've never truly gotten the results I REALLY wanted and I've become stuck in a rut and I'm fully aware that I'm just going through the motions at the gym (when I'm in the middle of a set I feel like I'm working hard, but after I don't feel like I worked at all.) I've just always been interested in CrossFit and I think I just need a change. Paleo DOESN'T sound like my kind of diet, but I know I can stick with it for 30 days just to see what happens. I might end up liking it-if it takes away my sugar cravings and all that then I might be able to stick with it...but for sure, 30 days I can do. If I don't like it, THEN I will go back to what I was doing...I just can't stop reading all the positive testimonials! I'm still confused about the diet, though. I guess I have to go buy the book. I haven't seen anything about calories...all I've been reading is, "Eat when you want, as much as you want." It would be hard to go over your allotted calories on protein and vegetables, yes. But, when you put fat in the picture....it becomes a different story.

One more thing I'd like to add...the general consensus here seems to be to steer away from paleo, which to me seems a lot like keto. I know they are not the same, but they seem very similar. I haven't been posting on or reading these boards for a while, but when I was keto was very popular.

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    As for the before/after stories, they do CrossFit. That's about all that needs to be said on their validity.
    touche

dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I tried eating strict Paleo for about 6 months and here is what I experienced:

1. It was extremely difficult for me to hit my nutritional macros (calculated from the Stickies on this site) using only Paleo foods. If you are going to try Paleo I'd advise that you track what you eat and watch those macros carefully and not just blindly eat off the food lists.

2. Eliminating processed sugars, grains and many dairy products from my diet did make me feel better and resolved a number of digestive problems I'd had prior.

I've ended up taking what I learned and following a modified plan that uses the Paleo food list only as a general guide. I prioritize hitting my nutritional macros above strict adherence to the Paleo food lists. For example, I eat one serving of Greek yogurt each day (the only dairy that doesn't seem to bother me) and I've added food like sweet potatoes to my diet as well. I still try to keep consumption of dairy, processed grains and sugars to a minimum just because it makes me feel better physcially. So, for me, eating Paleo for a few months was an interesting experience but not something I'd ever do again. I learned some interesting things about how my body handles certain foods though.

Originally Posted by dsm246 View Post
    I tried eating strict Paleo for about 6 months and here is what I experienced:

1. It was extremely difficult for me to hit my nutritional macros (calculated from the Stickies on this site) using only Paleo foods. If you are going to try Paleo I'd advise that you track what you eat and watch those macros carefully and not just blindly eat off the food lists.

2. Eliminating processed sugars, grains and many dairy products from my diet did make me feel better and resolved a number of digestive problems I'd had prior.

I've ended up taking what I learned and following a modified plan that uses the Paleo food list only as a general guide. I prioritize hitting my nutritional macros above strict adherence to the Paleo food lists. For example, I eat one serving of Greek yogurt each day (the only dairy that doesn't seem to bother me) and I've added food like sweet potatoes to my diet as well. I still try to keep consumption of dairy, processed grains and sugars to a minimum just because it makes me feel better physcially. So, for me, eating Paleo for a few months was an interesting experience but not something I'd ever do again. I learned some interesting things about how my body handles certain foods though.
    Was it hard because you were under-eating or over-eating? I think I might be like you-set a "challenge" for myself, see how I like it, then adjust from there. Thanks!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One can give up gluten and not go paleo. If fat loss is your goal then stay with a moderate diet. If you think you have food issues, do a proper elimination diet. One can have no issues on a typical diet but have major issues on a paleo diet. It's not the answer to anything.

dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Was it hard because you were under-eating or over-eating? I think I might be like you-set a "challenge" for myself, see how I like it, then adjust from there. Thanks!
    I was having difficulty eating enough carbs. It takes A LOT of fruits and veggies to hit that macro (since grains, dairy and legumes are not allowed). At the same time I was over eating protein. Too much protein can cause excess load on kidneys and liver so it concerned me.

Based on your original post and the listing of the foods you love I really don't think this is the best diet for you. I'd already eliminated most dairy for medical reasons before I started and I LOVE protein and this diet was still extremely difficult and not sustainable for me. Honestly, I think you'd do better just calculating your macros and calorie needs and working on some balanced meal plans that incorporate some of those foods you love.

NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm considering starting the paleo diet, but I'm really not sure about it.

Edited: I forgot to mention...I'm kind of scared of this diet because it seems that cheese probably isn't allowed (I love cheese!!!)
    Oh hai OP.

As my signature line states, I'm keto, paleo, very low carb for life. I've been low carb for 10 years plus. I'm not rigid paleo, and will eat cheese. I love cheese, and consume it like it's going out of style.

The low carb 'lifestyle' has changed my life, and I'll never go back to the modern (post industrial), way of eating. It's just not for me. Although I have to admit it was tough in the beginning, but got easier over time. Now I'm hooked. People also think I'm 'naturally' lean now, but I did weight 217 at my heaviest. My weight is now consistent on 2500 calories per day. No more dieting, no more worries. I don't even have to exercise in order to stay lean.

Also, you might want to post in the bb.com keto forums, as paleo is part of the extended low-carb family.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Originally Posted by JustaGirl78 View Post
    Wow, awesome job! Keep up the great work!
    “Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out.” Anton Chekhov

"10% of life, is what happens to you--90% is how you respond to it."

"I know that I know nothing"--Socrates

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A diet, or better yet, way of eating, works when the person can stick to it. It doesn't mean that because someone has had good results that a particular diet is "proven", except of course for that person. For those who have said "well, it worked for me, you should try it", the OP has very clearly stated her food preferences. And to choose a diet that is very different from her regular choices is much more likely to fail.

If you want to reach a particular goal, there are many roads you can take, various ways to skin a cat, whatever you want to call it. In both training and nutrition. Some roads will be easier, some harder, and it all depends on the person traveling them. You can use some common sense and pick the path best suited for you, or you can go the more difficult route.

I dislike buzzwords and fads, even IIFIYM and IF. Use your head. If dropping processed foods makes you feel and look better, then do so. If you like eating 3 square meals versus smaller bites throughout the day, have at it. If you have basic nutritional knowledge, no need for e-books and entire sub-forums dedicated to a "style' of eating. Its ridiculous.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

set a "challenge" for myself
    why not set a cool challenge? like the tough mudder! or something strength based. why diet related when it's so counter to what you like? why make yourself "suffer"? do the normal cals and macro's thing and challenge yourself in something else. something you can have fun in and/or something that matters.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    A diet, or better yet, way of eating, works when the person can stick to it. It doesn't mean that because someone has had good results that a particular diet is "proven", except of course for that person. For those who have said "well, it worked for me, you should try it", the OP has very clearly stated her food preferences. And to choose a diet that is very different from her regular choices is much more likely to fail.

If you want to reach a particular goal, there are many roads you can take, various ways to skin a cat, whatever you want to call it. In both training and nutrition. Some roads will be easier, some harder, and it all depends on the person traveling them. You can use some common sense and pick the path best suited for you, or you can go the more difficult route.

I dislike buzzwords and fads, even IIFIYM and IF. Use your head. If dropping processed foods makes you feel and look better, then do so. If you like eating 3 square meals versus smaller bites throughout the day, have at it. If you have basic nutritional knowledge, no need for e-books and entire sub-forums dedicated to a "style' of eating. Its ridiculous.
    Paleo is pushed by a lot of cross fit cults, er gyms My best friend and her husband have been on it for years. They tout the lost weight and feeling better. Duh. They cut out processed food. Of course they feel better. They dropped cals. Of course they lost weight. One thing they did not do was hit heavy weights ala a bodybuilding routine. So while they are smaller, they're skinny-fat. I look so much better! And I eat potatoes, beans, oats, etc

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Paleo is pushed by a lot of cross fit cults, er gyms My best friend and her husband have been on it for years. They tout the lost weight and feeling better. Duh. They cut out processed food. Of course they feel better. They dropped cals. Of course they lost weight. One thing they did not do was hit heavy weights ala a bodybuilding routine. So while they are smaller, they're skinny-fat. I look so much better! And I eat potatoes, beans, oats, etc
    I hear bean farts are deadly. Humans shouldn't eat them

in the company of others.

Fat loss per month =
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    haters gonna hate!

GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000) GetItBack is just really nice. (+1000)
    I started Paleo/Primal in May of last year and have lost 40 lbs. I don't miss cheese and milk but I do put heavy cream in my coffee! Energy levels have gone through the roof.
    "Before Opening, Lift"

Originally Posted by GetItBack View Post
    I started Paleo/Primal in May of last year and have lost 40 lbs. I don't miss cheese and milk but I do put heavy cream in my coffee! Energy levels have gone through the roof.
    Amazing what lower cals will do! Now put that energy to work and try a 6 month bulk.

Amazing what lower cals will do! Now put that energy to work and try a 6 month bulk.
    From what I've read, paleo doesn't seem to push calorie restriction...I'm confused.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    From what I've read, paleo doesn't seem to push calorie restriction...I'm confused.
    most successful mainstream 'dieting' fads use nifty tricks to get people to eat less calories without realising it.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    most successful mainstream 'dieting' fads use nifty tricks to get people to eat less calories without realising it.
    Nifty trick #1 -

Replace word 'calories' with word 'points' - make millions as people realise they can lose weight by counting 'points' while remaining oblivious to the dark and inexplicable magic of counting calories.

You think people magically lose weight by eating paleo? They lose weight because they eat fewer calories.

You think people magically lose weight by eating paleo? They lose weight because they eat fewer calories.
    Yeah... someone I spoke to claimed that paleo debunks cals in/cals out and that she's been able to maintain her weight eating 3000 calories a day on paleo versus before when she had to eat 1500 calories to maintain her weight. She also admitted that she doesn't really count her calories on paleo....

^^This. The first few months I tried Paleo I was just eating off the lists. I then started logging everything I ate because I wanted to get a sense of both the actual calories I was consuming in a day and the macro breakdowns. The calories I was consuming naturally on that plan ended up being quite low. For me it was around 1500/day. I wasn't surprised given the types of food that one is a allowed. As long as you don't over do the nuts and dried fruits everything one is allowed is pretty low cal. For most people, and especially for overweight folks, just following those lists will probably automatically create a calorie deficit. But, as I stated earlier, by logging what i was actually eating I discovered that the macro break down of those calories was not ideal. Since going off plan and focusing more on hitting those macros vs eating just certain foods I've had better success and am seeing more performance gains. It is also much less of a struggle for me to stay on my plan since I can incorporate a few of the things I really love into it.