nottakenname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbell shrug and weak lower back

To avoid hitting my nuts when I shrug, I lean slightly forward
    and sometimes place a 2x4 at my heels.

Today I hit a point where the limiting muscle is my lower back
    when doing shrugs. When doing these shrugs I feel like my neck
    can do more, but my back can't keep its form.

I workout at home and only have the ability to use a barbell not
    dumbbells. What can I do to keep my neck moving along? I hate to
    stop progressing due to my weak lower back.

The difference in weight between my romanian deadlift and shrugs
    is about 50 lbs...

mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do regular deadlifts - they will strengthen your lower back & torch your traps.

Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would add in goodmornings and low back extensions. I do these when ever I work back to strengthen my lower back.
    If you not feeling the burn your not pushing hard enough.
    "Don't talk about it, be about it" MK
    Change, Challenge, Compete

TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainThruPain will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    perhaps lee haneys method would help, try shrugging with the bar behind your back. and work on strengthening your lower back!
    Cheeky Kunt Crew*
    Always picks 4 crew*
    Might rep back crew*

nottakenname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TrainThruPain View Post
    perhaps lee haneys method would help, try shrugging with the bar behind your back. and work on strengthening your lower back!
    I was really hoping that putting it behind my back would be the
    solution. After a few weeks of trying it I've found that it is nearly
    impossible to pick up the bar, and it targets the back muscles in
    a much different way.

I guess I'll just need to wait for my lower back to catch-up via
    deadlifts, and other exercise.

Registered User Proposturalized's Avatar
    Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wear compression shorts to avoid the nut-contact during shrugs. Srs. Puts a lot less strain on the lower back if the bar is in contact with your body.
    "Maybe strong is just what you have left when you've used up all your weak."

Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cuongpham is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Leave your nuts at home, problem solved.
    Life too short to be a bitch.

VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VincentiT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm having the same problem. I can pull 500+ but can't ever shrug more than 315 with good form. Not that weight means anything.. but it just befuddles me sometimes. Even with straps..

Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Proposturalized View Post
    Wear compression shorts to avoid the nut-contact during shrugs. Srs. Puts a lot less strain on the lower back if the bar is in contact with your body.
    This. Srs. I had the same problem, nuts/junk would get in the way and I'd rather have undeveloped traps than a bruised howitzer.

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd also recommend the shrug behind the back if you have to use the bar.
    Originally Posted by TrainThruPain View Post
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Holy sh*t you guys must have huge nuts. All men are envious of your nuts.

pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pivo154 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Buy some dumbbells or use 45 pd plates.

Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Parsons7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    wear thick shorts if you are that worried about hitting your nuts. or don't wear such tight boxers.

bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by nottakenname View Post
    To avoid hitting my nuts when I shrug, I lean slightly forward
    and sometimes place a 2x4 at my heels.

Today I hit a point where the limiting muscle is my lower back
    when doing shrugs. When doing these shrugs I feel like my neck
    can do more, but my back can't keep its form.

I workout at home and only have the ability to use a barbell not
    dumbbells. What can I do to keep my neck moving along? I hate to
    stop progressing due to my weak lower back.

The difference in weight between my romanian deadlift and shrugs
    is about 50 lbs...
    Chances are youre trying to shrug too much. Obviously I don't know because there is no video but shrugging with less weight and full ROM is more beneficial. Trying using dumbells instead of barbell AND pause at the top of the shrug

If you still want to do it like you are then strengthen lower back.

Do goodmornings, reverse hyper extensions, etc
    Loves deadlifting so much want to become coroner