mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Exclamation Curls vs chin-ups

Hi everyone!
    I've been training in the gym for 1,5 years already and the only bodypart that is really behind in terms of development is the left biceps. I am not playing tennis anymore (and haven't played for the last 2 years), but used to play for 10 years. So, I can easily do 4 sets of chin-ups of 15 reps , on the last 2-3 reps of each set, my right arm, which is my dominant and stronger, takes over a bit. Concerning curls (some other workout), the right arm is very strong, can do 4x10 @ 16 kg easily, my left can do 16 kg x 10 reps, 16 kg x 6-7, 14 kg- 5-6 and so on. All the attempts to correct it were in vain. I've started to think that it is some neurological issue, or it might be the technique (must be the transition of strength to the tendons), cause I don't really feel any stress in the tendon in the left arm, the muscle is contracting but can not lift the weight. So, I need your advice. Tell me what you think of it. I've also been doing plenty of mixed grip chin-ups, but didn't achieve any significant results.

WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do some weighted chins mate.

Also start using a straight barbell to do your curls.

GL.
    life only opens the door to women, i kick the fuker down and rape all the women ~ WackoJackoo

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by WackoJackoo View Post
    Do some weighted chins mate.

Also start using a straight barbell to do your curls.

GL.
    this, iv just started doing weighted chins, with concentration curls, and hammerheads, feels good

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would just start really light so you can control the weight better and focus on equal contraction of both sides.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Chins have the ability to build good size, but becomes somewhat impractical to keeping adding weight as the ability to get stronger at this lift is very difficult IMO, heavy barbell curls, hammer curls and rowing movements done with strict form, 10-15 reps will get some size happening son
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mix87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks guys. But what do you think, what holds my left arm from developing further and getting stronger ?

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Its nothing to even think about man, just do an extra set for the weaker side and in 3 months or so should balance out a bit
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lol@neurological issue.

Most people's dominant arm is bigger, more defined, stronger than their weaker arm. Just make certain you're lifting evenly (e.g., doing a chinup, one side isn't doing more work than the other) and on single arm lifts (e.g., db curling), hold the stronger arm back so the weaker arm can catch up. If you can do 40lbsx10 on the weaker, but 50lbsx10 on the stronger, do 40x10 until the weaker can catch up.

At one point I could curl 10lbs more on my right arm than left, so I let the left catch up and now they're equal in strength and almost size - not letting it catch up will just make the disparity even worse in time.

Originally Posted by Ironlife View Post
    Chins have the ability to build good size, but becomes somewhat impractical to keeping adding weight as the ability to get stronger at this lift is very difficult IMO, heavy barbell curls, hammer curls and rowing movements done with strict form, 10-15 reps will get some size happening son
    It's not impractical to keep adding weight (dip belt) - just like any other lift you'll get stronger and stronger.

10 years ago I could do chinups @ bodyweight for like 5-6reps. Now I can do them with 97.5lbs attached for 7reps ..... I just kept doing them and went up slowly (2.5lb plates at a time)
    Booo

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I think chins being the core movement makes sense because you get work done for other muscles at the same time, and also you can make smaller % improvements since it involves dealing with bigger weights.

This applies to lat pulldowns and rows too. It's easier to chart numbers with these because bodyweight fluctuates a bit and once you want to go lighter than bodyweight (high rep endurance drop set stuff) figuring out how much assistance you're getting is hard (unless you have one of those counterweight machines).

If it's grip/lats or something failing first in these compound movements and biceps and stuff are your priority, curls can be done after, and you will have pre-fatigued them somewhat so you'll be able to get more use out of lighter weights, probably.