Closed Thread
Page 25 of 336 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 125 ... LastLast
    KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mindripper View Post
    Good choice, I can interchange most of the patterns in most keys now. The coil exercises are very useful as well; when you stack the patterns across many positions and repeat certain section can you really generate some unique sounding solos and fills.
    I'm still trying to memorize the F major scale at every position. I also worked through the first coil, asc and desc., now i'm trying to get faster.

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KennyK View Post
    I'm still trying to memorize the F major scale at every position. I also worked through the first coil, asc and desc., now i'm trying to get faster.
    That one I practice with a metronome. In general I think of them as patterns and try to match the pattern with the chord I am trying to fret. Single string runs are also very useful and recognizing the relative minor / assiocated pattern makes things much easier.
    Semper Fi

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm still trying to memorize the F major scale at every position.
    You know that sentence technically doesn't make any sense right?

As it applies to guitar, your fingerings will be the exact same in F as they are in every other Key- be it G C, Bb, F# etc.

If on the other hand you're trying to memorize the notes of the key of F major, well there's relatively nothing to remember- just one flat, F G A Bb C D E.

KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KennyK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Willith View Post

As it applies to guitar, your fingerings will be the exact same in F as they are in every other Key- be it G C, Bb, F# etc.

If on the other hand you're trying to memorize the notes of the key of F major, well there's relatively nothing to remember- just one flat, F G A Bb C D E.
    I'm just memorizing the patterns. There's five of them in the book and the fingerings are different.

I really need to call out the notes to myself.

That would probably make things easier

Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't describe it, but I see the fretboard a lot differently then when I began playing years ago.

There are many ways to play the scales..the most important thing is to run the patterns a lot all over the neck..after a few months you will soon see the connection through all 12 (and 24) frets. I dont even go past the 12th fret when i learn a new scale because I already know the pattern will simply start over (obvious).

Here is a killer scale for dropped D tuning..if you just learn the Low D and A strings you can simply match octaves and learn the rest of the strings (very key bass tip...octave leaping..sounds great when you string skip in a guitar solo instead of staying in a "box" and sounding like a rook).

Fret numbers for Low D : 0, 1, 3, 4 (hardcore riffs are bigtime into using these first 4 notes)5, 7, 8, 10.

Low A : 0, 1, 3, 5, 6,8, 10, 12

Ok..so here is a nice heavy as **** way to jam this scale and look good doing it..triplet pick the open D and **** with frets 5 and 6 on the A string...this should result in a nice lamb of god style riff for ya. To get crafty, triplet pick the open D then fill on Astring, then give the riff movement by going 3rd or 8th fret on the D string.

So basically use the D string as your base for moving the notes around and use the A string for the fills. Notice that you can start a riff in Cmin on the A string (3rd fret) in this scale and it will of course resolve to Dmin (flat 2nd) for you (basic mode knowledge).

The next step is to learn all the notes in that scale on the 2 strings. After that the NEXT step is to learn that you can use ANY note you want on these strings if you know what you are doing.
    These are called passing notes and are very very heavy when done properly.

oh...and i forgot..add flatted 5ths when you riff like this..very evil.
    Last edited by Orlando Abs; 01-24-2008 at 03:51 PM.

i said this wrong.

I should've said that iwas trying to learn the major scale patterns in F major.

also, when do you move on to another excercise. At what speed do you consider "mastered"

captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

also, when do you move on to another excercise. At what speed do you consider "mastered"
    nothing is ever mastered, you just add to the repertoire

however, when your fingers seem to move along the patterns without having to really think it through, you got it down
    Excuse me, your seatbelt seems to be broken. What do you recommend I do?

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by captainhorseboy View Post

however, when your fingers seem to move along the patterns without having to really think it through, you got it down

Excellent point, the more you practice the better feel you will have navigating the neck at any speed.
    Semper Fi

Excellent point, the more you practice the better feel you will have navigating the neck at any speed.
    I'm working on three note coils now and I have the first pattern down asc and desc, but now I'm just trying to build up speed. i'm at about 90bpm with a problem.

should i move on to the next patterns.

in addition to the previous one of course.

I'm working on three note coils now and I have the first pattern down asc and desc, but now I'm just trying to build up speed. i'm at about 90bpm with a problem.

should i move on to the next patterns.

in addition to the previous one of course.
    Yeah, just add them to your warmups... I play this sort of stuff for 10-20 minutes before moving into my actual playing. It really helps me warm up and get up to speed.

EDIT exception to this is I may practice patterns while watching TV.
    Semper Fi

Yeah, just add them to your warmups... I play this sort of stuff for 10-20 minutes before moving into my actual playing. It really helps me warm up and get up to speed.

EDIT exception to this is I may practice patterns while watching TV.
    cool

thanks

captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i dont really like doing scalepatterns, i have isolated portions of songs that have the techniques i want to work on, so i am playing music while i am practicing, not just exercises
    Excuse me, your seatbelt seems to be broken. What do you recommend I do?

i dont really like doing scalepatterns, i have isolated portions of songs that have the techniques i want to work on, so i am playing music while i am practicing, not just exercises
    it's boring the crap out of me and I haven't had a chance to put it to practice as far as songs, but I want to a good foundation before I move on.

Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    100% wrong. If you can play scales at 200 bpm, flawlessly, you've got it pretty well mastered....but of course there's room to play it faster. It takes a lot more than just practicing one scale faster and faster each time to get it to the point where you can play it at 200, 220 or 240 bpm, so when you really take a step back and look at it, mastering scales is pretty easy.

The stupidest **** someone can say is that "no one can master the guitar."
    Right, just like Bach didn't master Baroque....and then thousands of more people in the last 300 years.

100% wrong. If you can play scales at 200 bpm, flawlessly, you've got it pretty well mastered....but of course there's room to play it faster. It takes a lot more than just practicing one scale faster and faster each time to get it to the point where you can play it at 200, 220 or 240 bpm, so when you really take a step back and look at it, mastering scales is pretty easy.

The stupidest **** someone can say is that "no one can master the guitar."
    Right, just like Bach didn't master Baroque....and then thousands of more people in the last 300 years.
    This is a pretty crappy outlook, imo. You can always learn more; you can always continue to extend and reach as a musician. Mastery is more about applying what you know NOT just speed.
    Semper Fi

Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Orlando Abs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some of the worst guitar players I know play the fastest.

Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey guys,

Last night i saw Alter Bridge, and i honestly forgot how immense mark tremonti is. His speed is just incredible and that goes along with his tone, he has about 3 of this pedals (i have never seen before) which he pushes done when he solos.
    Disappointed factor though that myles (the singer) has taken a more lead role into the guitar playing with the new album, he's good, but no where near as good as mark.

dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50) dfdsgdfgyh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Guys i just started playing ther guitar, like I said, and my strumming sucks like dog****. Sometimes i press too hard, sometimes the pick doesnt even hits the chords LOL.

Any exercises to fix this ?

scroll back a few pages for some right hand tips i put up.

thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pick 5 songs you know pieces of and learn the entire song. One @ a time of course.
    im workin on that...i know all of sweet dreams minus the solo, because it sounds like **** without a wah wah pedal (i think that it what is used). im learning more of master of puppets...and i learned a few more riffs of crazy train.

ill try to get a vid up today of how im doing.
    "If you want to be world class you must first act world class" -Travis Ortmayer

James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) James187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What's up guys, i plan on getting myself a guitar and going through this thread from the beginning to really get myself educated.

I'm still undecided if i should buy an accoustic or electric, i understand accoustics are better for beginners, but i plan on playing mostly metal and i've heard that the jump from accoustic to electric can be pretty hard, so do you think i should jump into electric and practice from there or settle with starting on an accoustic?

thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thebeast1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by James187 View Post
    What's up guys, i plan on getting myself a guitar and going through this thread from the beginning to really get myself educated.

I'm still undecided if i should buy an accoustic or electric, i understand accoustics are better for beginners, but i plan on playing mostly metal and i've heard that the jump from accoustic to electric can be pretty hard, so do you think i should jump into electric and practice from there or settle with starting on an accoustic?
    id say just go with electric. but im a noob too so what do i know lol. ive started on a electric, and i dont see how acoustic could be any different.

this is a vid i made yesterday after playing for 1 month, i know im bad but any constructive criticism would be nice cuz im sure some of you can shred. i know i need to work on alternae picking and palm muting, but anything else? oh and i ****ed up the vid in a few places with the titles

Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well after a month that is pretty good. You seem to be involving all the fingers in the playing, which beginners tend to not involve the pinky. Your playing slower, but more precisely which is the best way to tackle, keep on going the way you are.

Originally Posted by Slashed View Post
    Well after a month that is pretty good. You seem to be involving all the fingers in the playing, which beginners tend to not involve the pinky. Your playing slower, but more precisely which is the best way to tackle, keep on going the way you are.
    thanks..k i try to use all my fingers. ill just keep practicing then. ive got like 5 and a half dozen picks coming soon (you have to order by the dozen online). im getting 6 different kinds of picks, i have a friend that is good that helped me pick them out. the pick im using now is about .6mm, ive got some 1.14, 2mm, and 3mm coming so it may help out a little.

anyone else have advice?

After two months i'm still just practicing scales and memorizing the notes on the fret board.

I did have a breakthrough as far as an easier way to learn where the notes are and how to build scales and chords.

this week i'm going to teach myself Take Five by Dave Brubeck

I did have a breakthrough as far as an easier way to learn where the notes are and how to build scales and chords.
    how?

Originally Posted by thebeast1 View Post
    how?
    I was reading the Chord Guru and there was a section about scales and how each key has a certain number of flats or sharps and that each key has 8 notes in it.

Believe it or not, i hadn't even thought of that.

So now, when I practice scales I call out the notes instead of blindly following the patterns.

I've become obsessed with learning theory.

Originally Posted by thebeast1 View Post
    anyone else have advice?
    Learn to play not just with a pick but also with your fingers. Finger a D chord (open) sit down and watch tv and with your right hand use your thumb (low note), index, middle and ring finger to arperggiate the chord up and down. Do this with one chord for a while, then add an A or G or C..whatever..just practice this skill. It is invaluable, and as a bonus it is one of the greatest closers ever when you have a girl over.

Gay Republican Senator Gruenburger's Avatar
    Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gruenburger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Anybody use the book "Blues You Can Use"?
    "i can get an erection while watching my dog drink her water." - ASATS

I was reading the Chord Guru and there was a section about scales and how each key has a certain number of flats or sharps and that each key has 8 notes in it.

Believe it or not, i hadn't even thought of that.

So now, when I practice scales I call out the notes instead of blindly following the patterns.

I've become obsessed with learning theory.
    oh...dont really get it but yeah lol
    Originally Posted by Orlando Abs View Post
    Learn to play not just with a pick but also with your fingers. Finger a D chord (open) sit down and watch tv and with your right hand use your thumb (low note), index, middle and ring finger to arperggiate the chord up and down. Do this with one chord for a while, then add an A or G or C..whatever..just practice this skill. It is invaluable, and as a bonus it is one of the greatest closers ever when you have a girl over.
    why? what are the benefits of finger picking? i find it hard to do since i have no nails at all

Closed Thread