Thread: Cutting Fat!

speckles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Cutting Fat!

Hi everyone!

I've been lifting weights for about 2 months now and I'm seeing some great results in the muscle department, but I haven't lost ANY of my fat. And I know this not from the scale but from how my clothes fit and how my body looks. Actually, it looks like I'm gaining fat but I could just be bloated.. Anyway, I was wondering what a good way to cut fat is? Other than doing a lot of cardio (because I hate it ) And I'd like to not cut foods completely out of my diet because I want this to be my lifestyle change not just a quick fix. I've decided on eating more veggies and fruits in place of junk food, so that will cut down a bit on calories, but what else should/could I do? My fiance (who is also my workout partner) is planning on cutting fat as well, so any tips on what we can do together?

Thanks a bunch and I can't wait to hear some suggestions!!

Melissa

jdmeg693 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdmeg693 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdmeg693 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    September 7: 214.0
    March 7: 187.6
    May 26: 199.5

New Goal:
    12 week trainer

Back at it!

Getting better every day!

“Don’t let what other people think decide who you are.”
    --Dennis Rodman

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The answer is simpler than you think it is: fix your diet. To lose fat, you have to burn more calories than you eat. The average american eats way more calories than they burn, and even those who switch to "dieting" are frequently still eating at surplus. In the beginning, you might have sit down and crunch the numbers.

As for cardio, even muscular people who are in good shape "hate" doing cardio if they don't routinely do it ... because cardio is hard and uncomfortable if you don't condition yourself to do it. Over time, it not only gets easier, but enjoyable ... the endorphin high is second to none imo. While my recommendation is that you step up the cardio to assist in your calorie deficit, you don't need it to achieve a goal of fat loss ... that can be done by simply correcting your diet and attaining a daily deficit. Having said that, cardio will amplify your results if you're already on a deficit or push you into a frank deficit if you're on the line. Those that have read my posts know that I am staunchly in the "pro cardio" camp.

1) Fix your diet
    2) Exercise more.

Not super complicated. You can do it, you just have to re-train pretty much everything about you ... starting from the volume and types of things that you eat to the amount of exercise that you do.

VFF Crew Mirin' my shoes? OCVeloMan's Avatar
    OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OCVeloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    The answer is simpler than you think it is: fix your diet.
    To go into more detail, cut your calories but keep protein high. If you're gaining muscle and not losing fat, you're eating a surplus of calories, period. Everything else has been said.
    I had a wife once but she ran away with a gypsy. My heart was not ripped out but she did steal my cuckoo clock.

Bodybuilder, n. A weight lifter too weak to be a powerlifter.
    Powerlifter, n. A weight lifter too fat to be a bodybuilder.

speckles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks a bunch! I did the calculations on the link that was given to me, and it says that I should get 526cal from fat and 474cal from protein, total of 1319cal/day for me @ 187lbs 5'2".. does that sound right? I did all the calculations correctly but it sounds like a lot of fat to me.. Anyway, thanks for the info and I'll keep my stats posted!!

Melissa

medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10) medicgarza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by speckles View Post
    Thanks a bunch! I did the calculations on the link that was given to me, and it says that I should get 526cal from fat and 474cal from protein, total of 1319cal/day for me @ 187lbs 5'2".. does that sound right? I did all the calculations correctly but it sounds like a lot of fat to me.. Anyway, thanks for the info and I'll keep my stats posted!!

Melissa
    I think these number are right. maybe this will push you in the right direction. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Fat contains ~ 9 calories per gram

Protein and Carbs contain ~ 4 calories per gram

so your macro layout would look something like this:
    Total calories 1319
    Fat: 58.4 grams
    Carbs: You didn't supply this, so algebra to the rescue 79.7 grams
    Protein: 118 grams

I would say up the protein a bit at 187 lbs.

I worked out your BMR to ~ 1661 calories. So if you ate at 1319, you would have a deficit of 342. A deficit of 500 a day will yield about 1 lb of fat loss a week. Key in cardio and weights and you get some more. Remember, 1 lb of fat is a lot of fat. Gotta keep the diet pristine though. Work one out and post it. If you do the work, find the macros, people here will be happy to guide you.

-Medic
    Last edited by medicgarza; 11-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Per Angusta Ad Augusta