jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beta-Alanine and Benefits for the bodybuilder?

I have been reading a few articles on beta-alanine, but i still havent found concrete information and how it benefits the bodybuilder in specific. The few articles ive read said this is supposed to be the next "Creatine". So if layne, beast, chuck, YS, and marc could give some insight on this...I dont know maybe it could be a topic on the next S&S edition.
    Consistency

young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jbiggie1510
    I have been reading a few articles on beta-alanine, but i still havent found concrete information and how it benefits the bodybuilder in specific. The few articles ive read said this is supposed to be the next "Creatine". So if layne, beast, chuck, YS, and marc could give some insight on this...I dont know maybe it could be a topic on the next S&S edition.
    I dont know much about it yet, Ive been researching it and some of the things ive seen is that it is beneficial for bodybuilders. I still need to do some more research on it to know all the benefits.

Ill do some research tomorrow after class for you and send you some studies if that I find if your interested.
    Last edited by young_squatter; 11-01-2006 at 04:54 PM.
    New 5/3/1 Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152156313&p=1031620863#post1031620863

Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you tried doing a search on here for Beta-Alanine? There are tons of threads regarding Beta-Alanine supplementation along with research supporting the benefits of Beta-Alanine.
    HALEO Lead Forum Representative

Echo in Eternity

Store Link - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/haleo.html
    ******** Page - www.********.com/pages/HALEO-Worldwide-Inc/344612048892858

young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by envythahustla
    Have you tried doing a search on here for Beta-Alanine? There are tons of threads regarding Beta-Alanine supplementation along with research supporting the benefits of Beta-Alanine.
    Yeah, also check out the intraxcell faq thread. That has a LOT of good info.
    New 5/3/1 Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152156313&p=1031620863#post1031620863

GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100) GreeneMachine is not very well liked. (-100)
    Beta-alanine is good ****. I'm taking IntraXCell right now and I'm very impressed. The thing is that it works differently than creatine in the muscles and the amount of research at it's release was more significant that creatine. Also the same guy that did so much positive research on creatine is the one that is pioneering the early BA research and as I have been told in the past, if he gets behind something it damn well works. The way BA works is it boosts your carnosine levels in your muscle and helps in building lean muscle mass. Carnosine is made by the joining of beta-alanine and histidine. The problem with having a supplement alone containing both is that it is absorbed to quickly in the stomach and no benifits will be acheived. Histidine levels in the body are already sufficient and beta-alanine supplementation alone is not absorbed too quickly benefiting the production of carnosine. Just do some more research on it as I have and you will see why it is a great supplement. Also check out my IntraXcell log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=943805

deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by deserusan
    Another ingredient which has been receiving a lot of well deserved press as of late is beta-alanine. This fun molecule, when supplemented has the ability to raise intramuscular carnosine levels (6, 7).

The performance benefits of elevated carnosine levels are not few and far between. When exercising the intramuscular hydrogen ion concentration (H+) increases (8) thus inhibiting performance (9). When intramuscular carnosine levels are elevated it acts as a buffer against the H+ increase during exercise thus increasing performance (10,11). Furthermore, stacking beta-alanine with creatine has shown to be well tolerated and provides a strong synergistic effect increasing multiple quantifiable performance enhancing tests results (12).

Beyond Performance Enhancement

It has been suggested that with age "decreased expression of the transporter for beta-alanine as precursor to carnosine, or a decrease in carnosine sythetase" (13) which quite possibly account for the noticeable decline in intramuscular carnosine levels found in older/elderly adults (12, 14). More strikingly this contrast was observed in type II muscle fibers (13) and as the result of ageing and denervation (15). Could beta-alanine supplementation help slow or even stop age related muscle wasting in active seniors? I don't know for sure, but I would recommend beta-alanine supplementation not only to a young healthy athlete but also to active seniors looking to maintain there youthfulness and to attenuate fatigue from physical activity.

Beyond the direct performance enhancements beta-alanine offers through boosting skeletal muscle carnosine levels is its effect on a process called glycation. In a nutshell, glycation causes an irreversible configuration of proteins which forms advanced glycosylation end-products (AGEs). These have been attributed to playing a role in cancer (16-19), diabetes related health complications (20-26), rheumatoid arthritis (27), heart disease (28-32), and Alzheimer's disease (33-39).

Carnosine has proven itself an effective as both an effective antioxidant (40-45) and powerful antiglycotic (45-47) in humans. Increasing carnosine in the diet is proving to also be an effective anti-aging tool as well (48-53). Since beta-alanine has proven to increase carnosine concentrations in humans (6, 7) and based on the body of research supporting it's efficacy I do not see why it should not be taken as a nutritional staple along with your multivitamin. It would be a wise choice for anyone who cares about their health.
    This should help sum things up a bit.

From this:

Deserusan's Review of MAN BODY OCTANE™
    "I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Heretic....

It's Time to go APE! ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION's Avatar
    ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Smile

Originally Posted by young_squatter

Thanks young_squatter.. Our thread below.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=890283
    Who we are and what we stand for as a company:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/supplement-company-of-the-month-athletic-edge.html?searchterm=athletic

Our latest pre-workout article: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/two-steps-to-kill-workout-fatigue.html

Follow us on ********: www.********.com/AthleticEdgeNutrition?ref=ts&fref=ts

jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbiggie1510 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks guys for the responses

Originally Posted by young_squatter

yea i saw that after i posted this...but if u have extra info, share it.
    Consistency

Originally Posted by Athletic Edge N
    Thanks young_squatter.. Our thread below.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=890283
    yea excellent thread. thanks AE!
    Consistency

It's Time to go APE! ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION's Avatar
    ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yea excellent thread. thanks AE!

My pleasure, I think that thread will answer all your Beta-Alanine/Carnosine Q's. If it doesn't, feel free to post them there or PM me!
    Who we are and what we stand for as a company:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/supplement-company-of-the-month-athletic-edge.html?searchterm=athletic

Our latest pre-workout article: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/two-steps-to-kill-workout-fatigue.html

Follow us on ********: www.********.com/AthleticEdgeNutrition?ref=ts&fref=ts

ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    BA is ra really solid product i personally had unbelieveable gains with it.............check out my log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=903204

i know its not science but my log represents real world representation of this product working

cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cakedonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To be honest, I'm very surprised Scivation hasn't released a B-alanine product considering the amount of postitive literature and overwhemlingly positive feedback its gotten from other products, notably the M.A.N. line. Other than creatine, B-alanine, along with citrulline malate, are two of the absolute best ergogenic and endurance-enhancing compounds around as of late.
    Last edited by cakedonkey; 11-04-2006 at 03:03 PM.
    SAN Nutrition
    sann.net / pumpedmag.com / starmarklabs.com

Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Some good studies

Taken from Carnosine: A New Era in Sports Supplemenation: As for beta-alanine there is one very well designed study, probably the best out there in terms of analytical techniques used and the outcome of the study design i.e. GREAT NEWS FOR US. Dunnett et al2 showed that after feeding a combination (yes even the biochemists use stacking) of beta-alanine (100mg/kg body weight) and histidine (12.5mg/kg body weight) for 30 days increased muscle carnosine by 13%. More recent studies by Maynard10 over in Kentucky have shown a 2-5 fold increase in rat muscle carnosine with a diet consisting of 1.8% carnosine.

Here are abrstracts from the two studies cited above:

Influence of oral beta-alanine and L-Histidine supplementation on the carnosine content of gluteus medius.

Excerpt from above abstract: "Changes in muscle carnosine concentration appeared to be influenced by beta-alanine bioavailability. Individual increases in muscle carnosine concentration were significantly correlated with individual changes in beta-alanine..."

~vs~

High levels of dietary carnosine are associated with increased concentrations of carnosine and histidine in rat soleus muscle.

Excerpt taken from above abstract: "After 8 wk, 1.8% carnosine resulted in significant fivefold increases in carnosine and twofold increases in histidine in the soleus muscle (P < or = 0.05). Muscle vitamin E concentrations were not significantly affected by dietary carnosine. Thus, very high levels of dietary carnosine are associated with increases in carnosine and histidine concentrations in rat soleus muscle."

The carnosine content of vastus lateralis is elevated in resistance-trained bodybuilders.

J Strength Cond Res. 2005 Nov;19(4):725-729

Tallon MJ, Harris RC, Boobis LH, Fallowfield JL, Wise JA.

School of Sports, Exercise and Health Sciences, University College Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom.

Tallon, M.J., R.C. Harris, L.H. Boobis, J.L. Fallowfield, and J.A. Wise. The carnosine content of vastus lateralis is elevated in resistance-trained bodybuilders. J. Strength Cond. Res. 19(4):725-729. 2005.-Resistance training is associated with periods of acute intracellular hypoxia with increased H(+) production and low intramuscular pH. The aim of this study was to investigate the possible adaptive response in muscle carnosine (beta-alanyl-L-histidine) in bodybuilders. Extracts of biopsies of m. vastus lateralis of 6 national-level competitive bodybuilders and 6 age-matched untrained but moderately active healthy subjects were analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography. Significant differences were shown in carnosine (p < 0.001) and histidine (p < 0.05). Muscle carnosine in bodybuilders was twice that in controls. The carnosine contents measured are the highest recorded in human muscle and represent a 20% contribution to muscle buffering capacity. Taurine was 38% lower in bodybuilders, though the difference was not significant. Possible causes for the changes observed are prolonged repetitive exposure to low muscle pH, change of diet or dietary supplement use, or the use of anabolic steroids. The increase in buffering capacity could influence the ability to carry out intense muscular activity.

Some recent research in respect to cyclists and beta-alanine supplementation.

Influence of beta-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity.Hill CA, Harris RC, Kim HJ, Harris BD, Sale C, Boobis LH, Kim CK, Wise JA.
    School of Sports, Exercise & Health Sciences, University of Chichester, Chichester, U.K..

Muscle carnosine synthesis is limited by the availability of beta-alanine. Thirteen male subjects were supplemented with beta-alanine (CarnoSyntrade mark) for 4 wks, 8 of these for 10 wks. A biopsy of the vastus lateralis was obtained from 6 of the 8 at 0, 4 and 10 wks. Subjects undertook a cycle capacity test to determine total work done (TWD) at 110% (CCT(110%)) of their maximum power (W(max)). Twelve matched subjects received a placebo. Eleven of these completed the CCT(110%) at 0 and 4 wks, and 8, 10 wks. Muscle biopsies were obtained from 5 of the 8 and one additional subject. Muscle carnosine was significantly increased by +58.8% and +80.1% after 4 and 10 wks beta-alanine supplementation. Carnosine, initially 1.71 times higher in type IIa fibres, increased equally in both type I and IIa fibres. No increase was seen in control subjects. Taurine was unchanged by 10 wks of supplementation. 4 wks beta-alanine supplementation resulted in a significant increase in TWD (+13.0%); with a further +3.2% increase at 10 wks. TWD was unchanged at 4 and 10 wks in the control subjects. The increase in TWD with supplementation followed the increase in muscle carnosine.

PMID: 16868650 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good post reps

sitzm006 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up benefits of alanine

Originally Posted by jbiggie1510 View Post

When glycolysis occurs in the muscle glucose is broken down into pyruvate which can be further broken down into Alanine which in turn can be used to reform glucose in the liver when supplies run low. (research Glucogenisis and Cori Cycle) However, the problem for bodybuilders comes when the body runs low on glucose and Alanine. i.e exercise. Conveniently, an alternative way to make Alanine in the muscle is through protein breakdown which is what we don't want when we are trying to build muscle. (research Transamination) Therefore the overall theory, similar to creatine, is that by supplementing with Alanine our body will not have the need to breakdown protein and thereby not deplete stores for the muscle.
    ---Michael S, UofM Pre-Pharmacy student.

professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) professorhard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    beta as fuk brah