Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Benedikt Magnusson = Hero Street_Ryda's Avatar
    Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Is it bad to slam the bar against the ground during dead lifting?

I raise it up, lock it out, and then when lowering it I slam it against the ground and do another rep..is that acceptable? I'm not talking about gym etiquette btw.
    'viking EAT chains and sh*t chains!' - Svend Karlsen

Check my strength/mass log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=418213081#post418213081

Swoop by my Youtube channel for work out vids http://www.youtube.com/user/bkbrawla666

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A proper rep involves you slowly resting the weight on the floor before reloading, so no it isn't acceptable

Registered User 94jettameowpsst's Avatar
    94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000)
    slam as in not lowering the bar slowly and letting it hit then pull? I honestly think thats fine because i was under the impression negatives on deads were not exactly good....especially higher weights.

Now if you're doing 135 or 225....thats a bit of a different story. You could probably get away with the set down a little slower, rest, pull.

Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50) Street_Ryda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RealMenDeadLift View Post
    A proper rep involves you slowly resting the weight on the floor before reloading, so no it isn't acceptable
    Ok, does doing this allow me to lift more weight? (slamming it)

Check my strength/mass log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=418213081#post418213081

Swoop by my Youtube channel for work out vids http://www.youtube.com/user/bkbrawla666

Originally Posted by 94jettameowpsst View Post
    slam as in not lowering the bar slowly and letting it hit then pull? I honestly think thats fine because i was under the impression negatives on deads were not exactly good....especially higher weights.

Now if you're doing 135 or 225....thats a bit of a different story. You could probably get away with the set down a little slower, rest, pull.
    The weight is much higher than that. I usually train within a 5RM on dead lifts. Occasionally I go for a 1RM.

I lower it in the proper way, I just don't do it slowly. I purposely hit the bar into the ground. It gets me more pumped up than doing things all calm. I'm very external.
    Last edited by Street_Ryda; 10-13-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50) Smartpart will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can let it slam if your gym allows it. If they don't then they probably don't allow chlak either.

Registered User 94jettameowpsst's Avatar
    94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000) 94jettameowpsst is just really nice. (+1000)
    if you're pausing at the bottom and not bouncing it i think its okay....i dont care one bit about making noise when i do deads....id rather have people look at me funny than slip a disc or pull a muscle.

*I used to skate, jumped steps, broke skates....think i compressed my lower back because NOW if i move wrong, i either pull something horribly or pinch my cyadic nerve.....which is how bad it hurts....and that was about 10 years ago.**

Originally Posted by Smartpart View Post
    You can let it slam if your gym allows it. If they don't then they probably don't allow chlak either.
    Lol. My gym doesn't allow chalk, but guys bring it in anyway. It's not strict at all, it's run by the city.

I could care less if people are bothered by it. If the sound of weights smashing, clanging and banging is too "annoying" for them, maybe they aren't meant to be at the gym. I love hearing it.

My main concern is would me slamming it into the ground allow me to lift more weight?

Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Street_Ryda View Post
    My main concern is would me slamming it into the ground allow me to lift more weight?
    yes it allows you to do more weight just like if you bounce a bench press off your chest you can do more than if you rest if for a second.

listen to the name of the lift your talking about
    DEAD-lift........weight should be dead
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130703993

Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dnarts has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah because it starts the next rep for you via momentum.. If I slam the weights with my 5 rep max for example, I can probably do a few more extra.
    Train insane, or remain the same. No hype necessary.
    www.fusionbodybuilding.com

Originally Posted by Jrahe42 View Post
    yes it allows you to do more weight just like if you bounce a bench press off your chest you can do more than if you rest if for a second.

Good point there man.

Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

This!

OP, putting a trampoline on the floor below the BB will allow you to lift more weight as well.

Originally Posted by Karaim View Post
    This!

OP, putting a trampoline on the floor below the BB will allow you to lift more weight as well.
    Rofl. Just picture that in the gym. LOL

Cutting like Diamonds OmniscientCause's Avatar
    OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OmniscientCause is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i listen to loud music....if im disturbing people oh well.....but im lifting alteast 130 lbs more than i have seen anyone in my schools gym deadlift soo......idc what they think
    My Log:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117854711

I'd Rather be Lifting... STL_Lift's Avatar
    STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IMO... Since it's called dead lift, that means the lift should be from a dead position. I do 4 to 6 reps in a set, but I lift up, lower, stand up and take a step back, then reload and do it again. No slamming down then jerking up.
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 198lbs

HST FTW

ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I could care less if people are bothered by it. If the sound of weights smashing, clanging and banging is too "annoying" for them, maybe they aren't meant to be at the gym. I love hearing it.
    wow, typical teenage jerk off, yes weights make noise but at least have some respect for the people around you
    and no, theres no point in slamming the bar down

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I sort of the think the rule is that if you can do more reps than you dont need to be dropping the weight. If you are doing a 1rm or something like that and you simply have no more steam then just do your best.

i have bumper plates ond dont even drop them on deads because I feel that the down portion is half the movement. if I feel an injury or something then i will drop it but only then.

I paid alot of money for my equipment and want it to last too.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morderstwo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

dynamic lift ftw!

...on a mission... AlphaBrass01's Avatar
    AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If the weight drops and hits hard, that's one thing, but to be honest, "slamming" it on purpose just sounds like a jerk move to me. I mean, it may help you lift heavier, but won't help your gains any. Also, I understand that there's always some noise in the gym, and I'm not a silent lifter, but if I can tell someone is making noise on purpose and not as an after-effect of the lift, it just upsets me. It's like begging people to notice how much you're lifting. To be honest, I get more excited about how I'm lifting when I find that I can fully control a heavy weight through an entire set rather than letting it pull me along.

(I know you said your original post wasn't referring to etiquette, but in this case, I don't think the issue can be completely separated. While I understand that you should be focusing on yourself while working out, having someone who is intentionally creating noise that could be distracting doesn't help. I try to stay in my own zone, but I am also someone who feels that you should never COMPLETELY block out what's going on around you...just seems like a recipe for disaster.)

http://www.********.com/AlphaBrass01

guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    I sort of the think the rule is that if you can do more reps than you dont need to be dropping the weight. If you are doing a 1rm or something like that and you simply have no more steam then just do your best.

I feel that the down portion is half the movement. if I feel an injury or something then i will drop it but only then.
    This. I've never felt I absolutely had to drop the bar on deads (even when doing max). If I absolutely had to (bar slipping, physical pain, etc.) I would, but I see no benefit of doing it all the time. It's sort of half assing the lift IMO. It's like doing pullups and pulling up, then just let go and hit the floor without lowering your body because you are too lazy to lower your body.

Yeah, you can do a ****load more reps of pullups that way, but at what cost? Are you really getting the full benefit of the lift/exercise? Maybe we should start half assing all of our lifts so we can lift more weight/do more reps?
    Last edited by guest89; 10-14-2009 at 05:46 AM.

Originally Posted by ramrod63 View Post
    wow, typical teenage jerk off, yes weights make noise but at least have some respect for the people around you
    and no, theres no point in slamming the bar down
    Wtf? This is not a bally's fitness gym man. I lift in the part of the gym where it's all men. I fail to see how the noise from weights would bother someone unless they have a headache. It's not a library. I'm not yelling my ass off, the only noise I make is with deads, or when I am going to failure, I can't help that. When ever I do incline and I have to knee the weights up into position I make a "psst" noise because it helps me get it up.
    Last edited by Street_Ryda; 10-14-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I come down with the weight so I dont fatigue myself too much on the eccentric. So yeah I have a bit of a slam. If you have some form of control, I think it is fine. It shouldn't be so much that it jars your joints.
    BRB... cutting for 12 weeks

Bench: 145kg (320lbs) x 1 <<< NEW PR August, 2009
    Deadlift: 210kg (463lbs) x 1 <<< NEW PR December, 2009
    ATG Squat: 165kg (364bs) x 1 <<< NEW PR December, 2009

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs down

Wtf? This is not a bally's fitness gym man. I lift in the part of the gym where it's all men. I fail to see how the noise from weights would bother someone unless they have a headache. It's not a library. I'm not yelling my ass off, the only noise I make is with deads, or when I am going to failure, I can't help that. When ever I do incline and I have to knee the weights up into position I make a "psst" noise because it helps me get it up.
    Example: I am hitting the sticking point on my last rep of bench press when all of a sudden: SLAM!!!!! My concentration is broken and I may fail the rep. Thanks!

If there was a good reason to do it, then fine. But there isn't. You are either attention whoring (look at me lift mad weight!), lazy (why do the eccentric portion of the lift?), or simply lifting more then you should.

I can see once in a while, losing control or grip and having to let it go. But all the time?

You can help it. You just don't want to.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    so coming on the negative to do another rep tapping the weight on the ground is not good? i should bring it down stop and then do another rep

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by seriouslifter View Post
    so coming on the negative to do another rep tapping the weight on the ground is not good? i should bring it down stop and then do another rep
    A true deadlift means stopping. A lot of people touch and go. I find it more of a challenge to stop, reset myself, then go.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GreenWave1 View Post
    A true deadlift means stopping. A lot of people touch and go. I find it more of a challenge to stop, reset myself, then go.
    true im going to rep from the stop and go

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    During any exercise, the weight should be controlled at all times. If you can't do this, you're using too much weight.

Continue to "slam" the weight down, and besides looking like a tool bag, you'll cause cumulative damage to your hands, wrists, elbows, etc.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by seriouslifter View Post
    Dead...lift. Each rep should start completely from the floor. The only exception is the RDL, where the lift starts at the hang and not from the floor.

Originally Posted by Karaim View Post
    Dead...lift. Each rep should start completely from the floor. The only exception is the RDL, where the lift starts at the hang and not from the floor.
    RDL = regular deadlift? wouldnt that start from floor