Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    buildchest.blogspot.com i.am.legend's Avatar
    i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Lightbulb The evolution of posing

I'll pick the rear lat spread as an example, since it has changed significantly from a few decades ago.

During Arnold's days, and even haney's reign (EVEN during the Dorian era, although not as extreme) they had their legs very close together during rear lat spreads (and back double bicep poses for that matter).

Example (Leon Brown):

Today (and ever since the ronnie era), they seem to be putting their legs further and further away from eachother during back poses).

Example (Freeman and Wolf, and don't say its cuz they're tall, cuz manlets like Silvio do it as well):

Do you think posing will continue to evolve (the mandatories to be precise) during the future years, or has it reached an optimum standard as far as the execution of poses goes?

One thing I notice between now and two decades ago, is that bodybuilders take longer to hit the actual pose, and "show off" different custom poses/transitions before hitting the mandatory in prejudging. In the 70's, when they called "back double bicep" they would instantly get into the appropriate position. Nowadays, they throw their arms vertically in the air, then slowly do a "close-grip-lat-pulldown" motion or christmas-tree type shot before transitioning into the final pose.

I think its obviously better the way things are now, as they get to display their physique from more angles etc. Its ironic that some people insist posing used to be better in the olden days..

masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masssmonster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by i.am.legend View Post
    I'll pick the rear lat spread as an example, since it has changed significantly from a few decades ago.

During Arnold's days, and even haney's reign (EVEN during the Dorian era, although not as extreme) they had their legs very close together during rear lat spreads (and back double bicep poses for that matter).

Example (Leon Brown):

wow strong conditioning

terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't care if someone is a fan of those classical physiques, but posing ****ing sucked way back when. The way those guys hit a side chest looked so funny. You didn't see any hamstring detail the way they used to do the rear poses and you never really saw an x-mas tree when they didn't do the little transitions you mentioned.

Good thread!
    "The truth is always exciting. Speak it, then. Life is dull without it."

Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000) Riz is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think everything changed once they started to put more emphasis on ass conditioning. the attempts for optimal ass conditioning naturally led to better conditioning head to toe. all of a sudden people wanna show off separation and lines that were never seen before and maybe adjustments in poses to show them off came about.

thanks gaspari

barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250) barbarian_ben has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Its ironic that some people insist posing used to be better in the olden days..
    How is that ironic?

◄█▄ Whey to The Hey ▄█► Whey Hey's Avatar
    Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ilirdino View Post
    I don't care if someone is a fan of those classical physiques, but posing ****ing sucked way back when. The way those guys hit a side chest looked so funny. You didn't see any hamstring detail the way they used to do the rear poses and you never really saw an x-mas tree when they didn't do the little transitions you mentioned.

Good thread!
    Yeah it sucked for sure...

Become Your Own Greatness x800venom's Avatar
    x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x800venom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Spreading your legs out slightly in that pose allows you to bring out your glutes, hams, calves more. It also presents a better X factor, and gives you a more stable base and work on.

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Whey Hey View Post

You're comparing one of the best posers ever. But at any rate, he hid some of his muscle sometimes when hitting poses. It was the TRANSITIONS BETWEEN poses that were really awesome.

As for the way the back double bi and the rear lat spread are hit nowadays, I think it's to show the legs more.

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ilirdino View Post

Good thread!
    I dont know mate i think this is more impressive than anything today. Dont forget its a side CHEST. Today's side chest puts more emphasis on delts and arms in my opinion.

◄█▄ Whey to The Hey ▄█► Whey Hey's Avatar
    Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000) Whey Hey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lancs_hotpot View Post
    I dont know mate i think this is more impressive than anything today. Dont forget its a side CHEST. Today's side chest puts more emphasis on delts and arms in my opinion.

"If you dont have it, dont hit it Franco"

terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10) terrafunka is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am not a fan of how Arnold inflated his rib cage to give his chest pop like that. It looks awkward. Phil Heath was doing it right in that pic up there.

And to Whey Hey - the front double bi has not changed much, if at all, in the last 30 years. Your point is moot.
    "The truth is always exciting. Speak it, then. Life is dull without it."

Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't think bodybuilders today understand the SIDE chest pose. They have started to turn front on and it looks dumbass.

As Arnold said...

''Turn side on and let the chest come up...and if you don't have it...DON'T HIT IT!!!''

No crew crew.

the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000)
    But there are more muscle groups to be displayed better in the way they hit it today.
    EPO all in my veins; Lately things just don’t seem the same; Actin’ funny, but I don’t know why; ’Scuse me while I pass this guy.

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

"If you dont have it, dont hit it Franco"
    lol i was going to mention how Heath dissapears completely when he hits the pose like that but saying anything bad about Phil Heath on these boards seems like blasphemy.

Originally Posted by Zeneth View Post
    I don't think bodybuilders today understand the SIDE chest pose. They have started to turn front on and it looks dumbass.

As Arnold said...

''Turn side on and let the chest come up...and if you don't have it...DON'T HIT IT!!!''

This is the one i wanted to post but couldnt find it amongst my pics. Very impressive.

ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChadSexton80 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like posing rather today.

Arnolds side chest is great..

I too use the vacuum, mainly because ithink looks better.

Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mostly, I prefer the mandatories of today by a mile. But I gotta say, on average, I prefer the old routines, mostly from the 80s, mainly because of the music selection and dramatic style.

I fall asleep looking at a bodybuilder posing to r&b. But epic classical ****/movie music... yeah. That's cool.
    Interested in investing in militarizing poultry? Based in our Southernmost continent, no local taxes, no laws to worry about, guaranteed return! PM for further details

captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    because the old school ideal was a V shape and the new ideal is an X shape
    Excuse me, your seatbelt seems to be broken. What do you recommend I do?

Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It was different back then, like above poster say V-shapes were more ideal than X-shapes...

IMO most or many poses looked better in the past (also because physiques and to a degree lightning were different) except the lat spreads. Some famous bb:ers didn't do it all that well; Arnold, Sergio, Bertil and Dilett among others.

I think fluidity between poses and stage prescence was better and more emphasized in routines in the past compared to now. Rusty Jeffers of today is a link to this died out practice. Also, Melvin Anthony and Wolf have some poses reminiscent of the classic poses.

Kai Greene is famous for his posing but I don't see him representing the evolution of posing per say, i don't think he will change anything. Most bodybuilders have a dull and standard routine today.

Maybe new posing styles will influence new bodybuilders in a ten year period. The important thing i think is that routines are personal and varied, some like the Coleman/Levrone crowexciting routines some like classic posing and some like Greenes acrobatic/male stripper presentations. Two good posers are Brandon Curry and Roelly Winklaar who both have done backflips in their posing and each have characteristic (and IMO good) styles. There is hope for a entertaining future in BB.

Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    You don't see much the classical poses like the victory pose or this:

That's why I think posing was better then. :P

jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasoncho92 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
    You don't see much the classical poses like the victory pose or this:

That's why I think posing was better then. :P
    Even if you did see it, you wouldnt think much of it. The lighting and the fact the picture is black and white makes it look much better than it actually is (its a great picture nevertheless).

sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50) sargemaki will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    big change in the standing front relaxed pose...i like the old school one not raising their arms so high like they do now

VS

the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They look practically the same. I think that one depends from person to person how high or low they have their arms, but having the raised does help show the lats more.
    EPO all in my veins; Lately things just don’t seem the same; Actin’ funny, but I don’t know why; ’Scuse me while I pass this guy.

Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000) Zeneth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jasoncho92 View Post
    Even if you did see it, you wouldnt think much of it. The lighting and the fact the picture is black and white makes it look much better than it actually is (its a great picture nevertheless).
    Wat. On stage that pose looks even better.

No crew crew.

Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Outlined is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sargemaki View Post
    big change in the standing front relaxed pose...i like the old school one not raising their arms so high like they do now

a once relaxed stance is today like a front lat spread basically

video for reference to a basic front relaxed:

1:13: "just as common ... the bb:er who will over exaggerate"
    Last edited by Outlined; 06-23-2009 at 08:01 AM.

buildchest.blogspot.com i.am.legend's Avatar
    i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) i.am.legend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Outlined View Post
    a once relaxed stance is today like a front lat spread basically
    It was never a truly relaxed pose though..they always flexed their calves, quads, abs etc.. But I agree its even further from "relaxed" now..

It was never a truly relaxed pose though..they always flexed their calves, quads, abs etc.. But I agree its even further from "relaxed" now..
    Yes point taken. It's never a truly relaxed.

Funny that bodybuilders now do front relaxed the ''incorrect'' way shown in that vid.
    No crew crew.

Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500) Gosu is not very helpful. (-500)
    ssssssssssssd

i agree that it didnt suck, best posers of all time are from golden ages : ed corney (pictured), frank zane, etc

Originally Posted by Zeneth View Post
    Funny that bodybuilders now do front relaxed the ''incorrect'' way shown in that vid.
    yeah that is sort of my critique of it all. i sort of hope it regresses to a more relaxed looking pose again.

Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000) Chococat is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with the above. I've been thinking the arms up so high doesn't look natural. I like the pose in the video.