Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: intercostals?

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)

intercostals?

Other than hyperextentions, any body have any suggestion on how to strengthen them? Mine need work so that I can get this rib sublaxation problem under control.

Mind you, I have limited equipment at my disposal.
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Push-ups

I read somewhere that push-ups actually help to work the intercostal muscles. I'll have to go back to my text books and see if I can find if any other exercises are listed for this particular area.

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I found this on how to work the intercoastal muscles........
    Side Bends: Stand erect, with your feet set a little wider than the width of your shoulders on each side. Place a broom stick, or an unloaded barbell bar across your neck and grasp the ends of it with your hands. Stiffen your legs and keep stiffened throughout the set you are doing. From this basic starting position, bend at the waist as far to the left as possible. Immediately bend as far to the right as possible. Rhythmically move back and forth between these two positions for a full set of the required number of repetitions, counting each complete cycle of bending both to the left and right as one repetition.

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Chi_town View Post
    Thanks, this one sounds simple enough.

I even have the perfect bar for this. From an el-cheapo weight set I bought at WalMart a long time ago - it's a hollow 5 footer; lucky if it weighs 1.5 pounds.
    Last edited by IdahoViking; 01-18-2007 at 09:25 AM.

lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilbootch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just got the same info from one of our Physical Therapists at work. I hope the exercise helps you out, because from the info I got it sounds like a painful condition to have.

Originally Posted by lilbootch View Post
    Just got the same info from one of our Physical Therapists at work. I hope the exercise helps you out, because from the info I got it sounds like a painful condition to have.
    It only hurts when I move or breathe, other than that - NO PROBLEM.

phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You can also use a twisting motion. Using a weighted trim bar is good, provided you can handle it.
    Jon Cole's Gym: '79 - '85
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9275071&d=1603917754

Okay, so far we have hyperextentions, side-bends and twists.

Any others?

Thanks for all of the input thus far.

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Woodchoppers.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Originally Posted by jtroster View Post
    Woodchoppers.
    ???

If they involve anything overhead, they are out of the question at the present time.

Just a stupid question. Our physical therapist here at work asked me if you had been evaluated by a M.D. or Physical Therapist. She had said exercises would be depend upon what type of rib sublaxtation you have and exercises could range from breathing and stretching exercises to strengthening exercises that have already been suggested. She thinks it would probably be very beneficial to see a physical therapist just to evaluate the condition if you haven't already and you could probably get a referral from your primary doctor.

Just a stupid question. Our physical therapist here at work asked me if you had been evaluated by a M.D. or Physical Therapist. She had said exercises would be depend upon what type of rib sublaxtation you have and exercises could range from breathing and stretching exercises to strengthening exercises that have already been suggested. She thinks it would probably be very beneficial to see a physical therapist just to evaluate the condition if you haven't already and you could probably get a referral from your primary doctor.
    It's been diagnosed and treated by both an MD and by my chiropractor, I quit going to a PT when the insurance ran out - at that time he had me doing I-Y-T's and some basic stretches. Primary concern at that time was getting my traps, lats, and rhomboids working again.

The ribs that subluxate the most are T4/T5 (I think - could be T5/T6) and occasionally T1.

Possible help?

I was just doing some more research on the issue and it seems that there is a chiropractic adjustment that can be done to alleviate the problem. It seems that it is usually a one or two visit adjustment depending upon the tenderness of the area and if they are able to re-align the area on the first visit or not. I'm just thinking this could be an option being as how you sound to be in some good amount of pain. I know cost may be an issue also but it might be worth calling around your area to see what cost would be and if they deal with this kind of pain.

I was just doing some more research on the issue and it seems that there is a chiropractic adjustment that can be done to alleviate the problem. It seems that it is usually a one or two visit adjustment depending upon the tenderness of the area and if they are able to re-align the area on the first visit or not. I'm just thinking this could be an option being as how you sound to be in some good amount of pain. I know cost may be an issue also but it might be worth calling around your area to see what cost would be and if they deal with this kind of pain.
    I have a chiro adjust it every time it happens, I'm trying to figure out how to stop it from occurring in the first place.

Car accident back in 2004 left my upper and mid-back a mess (10 weeks lost work plus about 9 months of PT), now that I've returned to somewhat a normal lifestyle - I subluxate the ribs every now and then. This was not a problem before the accident, but it has been a reoccurring one ever since.

It's getting better though, it used to be a weekly thing now it happens about every 6-8 weeks.

I just had an adjustment on Monday, but screwed it up again last night.

Just now got off the phone with my chiropractor's office - cannot get in until Monday at the earliest.

I would ask the chiro if you can start strengthening the muscles with the exercises that you have or if he would suggest any other methods. I realise that it has been three years with this and if your as impatient as I am with things you're past the tired of this already phase. I have a knee that acts up every now and then and you just want it better now. Good luck with the chiro and hopefully he can give you the ok to proceed with the strengthening plan. You'll have to keep us updated with how things are going. Take care.

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Look at some of the links related to my Core thread. Issue is well covered.

Baldie

peeple of zee wurl relax! BurritoMan's Avatar
    BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DB Pullovers

I'm not going to last until Monday! Whatever it takes, I have to get into the chiro sometime today.

A sneeze provided the proverbial 'straw that broke the camels back' last night.

Pain radiates from my mid-back around to the sternum (God it burns!!). Shooting up under the shoulder blade into the shoulder. Burning sensation all the way up to the base of my neck! Right forearm, wrist, thumb and index fingers are tingling and burning - if I had a sling I think my arm would be in it right now! Pain becomes unbearable if I cock my head to the left or right, excruciating if I look down and to the left (which is very common while working). Right trap is as tight as a drumhead. Right arm is basically a dead piece of meat hanging off of my shoulder.

To put it bluntly, this sucks bilge water!!
    Last edited by IdahoViking; 01-19-2007 at 06:20 AM.

I have a 9:00 appointment w/ the chiropractor. So I will be leaving work in about 45 minutes - I do not think I will be returning today.

vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500)
    Sounds like you need to see an orthopaedic specialist. This problem is beyond the scope of a general MD, chiropractic or PT. Pinched nerve somewhere.

Vince.

Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
    Sounds like you need to see an orthopaedic specialist. This problem is beyond the scope of a general MD, chiropractic or PT. Pinched nerve somewhere.

Vince.
    Common side effect when the rib subluxates at the vertebrate.

Good luck I hope all goes well.

Ribs were subluxated at T1,T4,T5, & T6.

I'm home now curled up with my ice bag.

Chiro does not think that there is much that can be done to prevent this from occuring because of the extensive damage done by the accident, although the recomendations in this thread could help prevent other problems.

Basically he wants me to just keep plugging along, like I have been - I have already surpassed all of the professionals expectations in my rehab, so I should take some solice in that.

peeple of zee wurl relax! BurritoMan's Avatar
    BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think if you found a good physical therapist he might be able to get you onto certain exercises to strengthen the muscles that would prevent this from occuring so much. I feel for ya, I've had a sublaxated rib around T6.

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    About the only exercises I do for intercostals is lying on my back with my legs drawn up I place one leg across the knee of the other and perform crunches to that knee... first one side, then the other.

I also lie on my side and do side crunches concentrating very hard on making sure that it is these muscles that are performing the work... first one side, then the other.

It's worked for me!

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

Just a recap of where I'm coming from.

In March 2004, I was involved in a multi-car accident on the interstate. I was stopped because of a jack-knifed semi-truck and was rear-ended by a 3/4 ton pickup; which was in turn rear-ended by another pickup truck and an SUV. Car was totalled, I was left with massive tearing and scarring of my traps, lats, deltoids, and rhomboid. Rhomboid was partially detattched. In addidition I had several chipped and cracked thoracic and cervical vertebrate.
    After 7 months of rehab and PT, I was once again involved in another car accident under similar circumstances. Car accident directly in front of me due to icy conditions, I stopped and pulled over; car behind me in the other lane lost control and rear-ended me, he careened off of me and another car then hit me once again. Essentially putting me back into rehab and PT for an additional 5 months.

My mid and upper back have lost a lot of structural integrity, I am attempting to rebuild via weight training as much as possible. I have already exceeded the Physical Therapist's, the Orthopedic Doctors, and even my chiro expectations.

However, I have not quite met my expectations yet.

Hope you're feeling better after the adjustment on Friday. I saw that you were holding up with the ice pack. I work at a chronic pain clinic and have seen a lot of people in bad shape from car accidents and kudos to you for continuing to rehab yourself.

vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500) vbbuilt is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by IdahoViking View Post
    In March 2004, I was involved in a multi-car accident on the interstate. I was stopped because of a jack-knifed semi-truck and was rear-ended by a 3/4 ton pickup; which was in turn rear-ended by another pickup truck and an SUV. Car was totalled, I was left with massive tearing and scarring of my traps, lats, deltoids, and rhomboid. Rhomboid was partially detattched. In addidition I had several chipped and cracked thoracic and cervical vertebrate.
    After 7 months of rehab and PT, I was once again involved in another car accident under similar circumstances. Car accident directly in front of me due to icy conditions, I stopped and pulled over; car behind me in the other lane lost control and rear-ended me, he careened off of me and another car then hit me once again. Essentially putting me back into rehab and PT for an additional 5 months.

My mid and upper back have lost a lot of structural integrity, I am attempting to rebuild via weight training as much as possible. I have already exceeded the Physical Therapist's, the Orthopedic Doctors, and even my chiro expectations.
    Pain radiates from my mid-back around to the sternum (God it burns!!). Shooting up under the shoulder blade into the shoulder. Burning sensation all the way up to the base of my neck! Right forearm, wrist, thumb and index fingers are tingling and burning - if I had a sling I think my arm would be in it right now! Pain becomes unbearable if I cock my head to the left or right, excruciating if I look down and to the left (which is very common while working). Right trap is as tight as a drumhead. Right arm is basically a dead piece of meat hanging off of my shoulder.
    Ribs were subluxated at T1,T4,T5, & T6.

I'm home now curled up with my ice bag.

Chiro does not think that there is much that can be done to prevent this from occuring because of the extensive damage done by the accident, although the recomendations in this thread could help prevent other problems.

Basically he wants me to just keep plugging along, like I have been - I have already surpassed all of the professionals expectations in my rehab, so I should take some solice in that.
    WOW! That's an amazing story and a testiment to your courage! Hang in there.

But out of curiosity. Once out of the hospital, what was the prognosis from the doctors? Did they give you clean bill of health? How long would it take for full recovery? Or is full recovery even possible? Have you been back to those specialists for a re-evaluation? And did those chiropractors promise that their treatments would restore you back to your pre-accident days?

Vince.

Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
    WOW! That's an amazing story and a testiment to your courage! Hang in there.

But out of curiosity. Once out of the hospital, what was the prognosis from the doctors? Did they give you clean bill of health? How long would it take for full recovery? Or is full recovery even possible? Have you been back to those specialists for a re-evaluation? And did those chiropractors promise that their treatments would restore you back to your pre-accident days?

Vince.
    When I was released from PT, I was told that I was probably about as good as I was going to get. Full recovery not possible supposedly. I have already exceeded the Neurologist's, Orthopedic Doctor's, Physical Therapist's, and Chiropractor's expectations. I have not exceeded my expectations yet.
    Last edited by IdahoViking; 01-22-2007 at 10:23 AM.