Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Calipers or monitor?

After my last thread, I jumped on the body fat monitor in the gym.

After moaning to you guys about losing weight and not being able to gain, I was given tons of good advice, like not drinking, upping calories and changing workout.

I've since 'discovered, that as well as losing weight, my body fat has gone up!

So I'm now confused: I've been hitting the gym three times a week, only to lose weight and get fattier.......

That would indicate muscle wastage right? Totally impossible. The mirror tells a totally different story.

I've heard about the monitors giving a false reading based on hydration, food intake etc, so I'm wondering how you guys monitor fat.

Caliper or monitor?

Thoughts?

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Stevelegh View Post
    After my last thread, I jumped on the body fat monitor in the gym.
    Jump off it and don't jump on it again. It's much more accurate to pull numbers out of a hat. Calipers are a bit tricky to get a consistent measurement unless you do it all the time, but that's the way to go.

Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000)
    Totally impossible. The mirror tells a totally different story.

Thoughts?
    Who cares what the calipers or monitor or weigh scales say. Mirrors never lie or even better yet, take a picture of yourself. That's the best evidence!!!

You already said it yourself. Take your own advice!

Jeff

Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lukamar View Post
    Jump off it and don't jump on it again. It's much more accurate to pull numbers out of a hat. Calipers are a bit tricky to get a consistent measurement unless you do it all the time, but that's the way to go.
    Agreed, the monitors really are very inaccurate. Ive owned a couple different monitors and even had my sports doctor test my precontest BF% just a week or so from a contest. I was about 5%, but his monitor said I was 17%.

Mirror is the best way to tell.
    If this were easy, everyone would do it!

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Caliper or monitor?

Thoughts?
    At this point, all you need is a tape measure, a scale, and five minutes AT THE SAME TIME OF DAY (preferrably b/f breakfast).

Caliper measurements are mostly helpful for people who have worked out for a number of years, put on slabs of muscle, and for tracking the last few percent of fat a bodybuilder wants to lose b/f competition.

If your waist size as measured at bellybutton level stays the same and you weight is going up, you are gaining muscle. If the waist size goes up along w. the weight, you are gaining too much fat.

Once the weight starts going up while the waist measurements stay the same, only then are arm, thigh, and chest measurements meaningful.

Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're too wrapped up in numbers here.

Are you harder? Look in the mirror. I'm eating like a cow these days and concerned about packing on fat, so far all I see in the mirror is iron buddy. Iron!

Registered User alec_braithwait's Avatar
    alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Caliper or monitor?

Thoughts?
    I would go with Calipers. The key is to get the same person to do the measurements and be as consistant as possible.

I don't think it really matters if one person says you are 12% and another says you are 15%. The main thing to watch it the same person does it the same way, every time.

If according to that persons measurements you are loosing fat, then you are loosing fat, the numbers are not really that important.

Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Three words

Calipers......MONITORS SUCK!!!
    "Never give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

"I won't quit while I'm behind. If I do, how will I ever get ahead." - Alex Harb (my cousin)

The only person you have to impress is yourself. But it's nice for others to take notice too.

Life keeps me busy. My workouts keep me sane.

I may get out played, but I will never get out hussled.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

body fat monitors

Definitely go with the mirror. Those body fat monitors are just a gimmick,as far as I'm concerned, and just not accurate. Calipers are almost as bad, since different trainers can use them on you and get very different readings.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Last night was the first time that I measured my body fat. I used one of those hand held monitors and it said that I was at 17.5%.

It really took the wind out of my sails since I've been cutting pretty hard for about 5 weeks now. I thought I was around 15%.

I went home and looked in the mirror and said to myself F*** it, I see a huge change in the way I look and my weight has been going down and my pants are loose, hell I even ripped a shirt yesterday (posted that yesterday).

So screw the BF monitor's I really don't care. I think I'm looking awsome and have not lost any muscle mass or strength so I must be doing something right.

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Around this forum the Omron fat monitor is called the Oh-moron. I just started using calipers.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bingo!

Originally Posted by Inthegrass View Post
    Who cares what the calipers or monitor or weigh scales say. Mirrors never lie or even better yet, take a picture of yourself. That's the best evidence!!!

You already said it yourself. Take your own advice!

Jeff
    Take pictures - I think they are better than the mirror!

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with everything said here.....Calipers yield different results based upon who is using them and where....

and the special scales are ridiculous is trying to come up with an accurate reading for people like us who carry much more lean weight than the general population.

ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Caliper or monitor?

Thoughts?
    At work our "healthcare advocate" says I'm 36% fat with her "monitor" and she said her height/weight chart confirms it!

The last time I had it checked at the gym, the calipers says I'm 13.5% bodyfat.

My last blood work was a couple of months ago and all of it was very good!

I am leaning toward calipers....just because it makes me feel better.
    47yr male, 5'11", 235lbs, BF who knows? (Oct 05)
    48yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 15.2% BF (Nov 06)
    48yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 15.2% BF (May 07)
    49yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 14.5% BF (Aug 07)
    49yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 13.5% BF (Jan 08)
    50yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 13.5% BF (Jul 08)

....and the height chart says I'm fat...ugh!
    Oh well, I gotta one pack ab.

Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ServoScanMan View Post
    At work our "healthcare advocate" says I'm 36% fat with her "monitor" and she said her height/weight chart confirms it!

36%?

Excuse my french, but ****! I hope I'm at 36% like you when I'm 49 if your avatar is current!

Thanks guys. I've done the mirror today and I'm looking better than at any time in my life.

I have invested in some calipers. More from the point of view that I'll be able to monitor things more 'accurately' than the scales, but I'll be taking it all with a pinch of salt.

Thanks again.

Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wooly_Ace has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ServoScanMan View Post

You fat bastard, get your jelly roll azz in the gym!!! J/K............36% makes no sense, regardless what the charts say.
    "Never give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

"I won't quit while I'm behind. If I do, how will I ever get ahead." - Alex Harb (my cousin)

The only person you have to impress is yourself. But it's nice for others to take notice too.

Life keeps me busy. My workouts keep me sane.

I may get out played, but I will never get out hussled.